WV Forum for News, Politics, and Sports
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Any WVBOEM's this gutsy?

3 posters

Go down

Any WVBOEM's this gutsy? Empty Any WVBOEM's this gutsy?

Post by SamCogar Sun Apr 27, 2008 4:20 am

OSCEOLA COUNTY, Fla. — A Florida school board member is drawing fire from some parents for saying they should spend money on school clothes for their children instead of buying alcohol and cigarettes.

School board member Jay Wheeler's comments were made in an e-mail response to parents’ complaints that they cannot afford the new uniforms mandated by the Osceola County School District, according to MyFOXOrlando.com.

"Everyone can afford Wal-Mart and if they can’t, they need to think about turning off their cable TV or stop buying alcohol or cigarettes and spend their money on their children," he wrote.

Parent Maria Quintana says Wheeler’s e-mail is insulting.

“I have a job and sometimes it's really hard. You have to struggle," Quintana told MyFOXOrlando.com. "And to have them say something like that is really degrading."

Wheeler stands by his comments, saying people should get serious about education and put their children first.

"I thought it might be a wake-up call and I think it's something people want to say but were afraid to,” he said.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,352698,00.html

I guess they are all the same, .......... degraded parents don't like being told they are degrading. jocolor jocolor jocolor

SamCogar

Number of posts : 6238
Registration date : 2007-12-28

Back to top Go down

Any WVBOEM's this gutsy? Empty Re: Any WVBOEM's this gutsy?

Post by shermangeneral Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:38 am

Sam do you think the school boards should have authority to dictate that school children must wear certain uniforms?

What if the uniforms are provided by the Board member's brother-in-law?

Or what if the uniform provider takes the Board member to the French Riviera for vacation?

Do you think taking the Board member to the French Riviera could influence who gets the school uniform contract?

Besides what business is it of a Board member if a parent smokes?

shermangeneral

Number of posts : 1347
Registration date : 2007-12-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:26 am

Sherm brings up an interesting point about uniforms, one that I had honestly not thought of. I've always been a supporter of uniforms but I can see those in our state and county governments telling us where we as parents would have to purchase our uniforms from. It already happens with sports uniforms and I've no doubt someone somewhere is getting a kickback on that process.
Aaron
Aaron

Number of posts : 9841

Back to top Go down

Post by SamCogar Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:14 am

School board member Jay Wheeler's comments were made in an e-mail response to parents’ complaints that they cannot afford the new uniforms mandated by the Osceola County School District, according to MyFOXOrlando.com.

shermangeneral wrote:Sam do you think the school boards should have authority to dictate that school children must wear certain uniforms?

Well now Sherman, it was your "friends" in the WV Legislature that "opened up Pandora's box", ....... so I say "YES", ........ finish the "job" and dictate that all Elementary and Middle School students "wear uniforms".

In that the Legislature approves the funding and distribution of those "clothing vouchers" every Fall, then dictate said money be spent on "uniforms". That sir would guarantee said voucher money was being spent on "school clothing"

shermangeneral wrote:What if the uniforms are provided by the Board member's brother-in-law?

Or what if the uniform provider takes the Board member to the French Riviera for vacation?

Do you think taking the Board member to the French Riviera could influence who gets the school uniform contract?

Sherm, why are you asking me those questions ........ when you know damn well there is very, very, very little such State/County "spending/purchasing" that someone's "friend" doesn't benefit from said. You done forgot all about ole "Porkchop" just because him done up n' died. ..... huh? Very Happy Very Happy

shermangeneral wrote:Besides what business is it of a Board member if a parent smokes?

It's not. And neither is it their business if a parent is a queer, or a prostitute, or spend their money on prostitutes or gives their money to some rum dumb Preacher or a Church or the Democrat Party.

It should be the business of all School Board members to be concerned with "the education of the students" ........ just like that Jay Wheeler is concerned.

Sherman, iffen you started electing people to the School Boards in West Virginia whose primary concerns are like those of Jay Wheeler's ............ then maybe you wouldn't hafta be worrying yourself sick about all the G&C Programs (graft & corruption) that are being run rampart within the WV School System.

And then "WHOOPTIE DO", ....... you will also be seeing the "drop-out rate" decreasing and the students being better educated. Very Happy Very Happy

SamCogar

Back to top Go down

Post by SamCogar Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:35 am

Aaron wrote:Sherm brings up an interesting point about uniforms, one that I had honestly not thought of. I've always been a supporter of uniforms but I can see those in our state and county governments telling us where we as parents would have to purchase our uniforms from. It already happens with sports uniforms and I've no doubt someone somewhere is getting a kickback on that process.

It already happens with the cooks uniforms also, at least in BC.

Of course, if asked, they will tell you, ........ "it makes for simpler Accounts Payable".

But since it is all done via "computer" ........ it can't get much simpler no matter how many vendors they have.

OH, and ps, I remember way back when there was only one (1) vendor for Senior Class Rings ............ and the Principal always got a percentage of the "sale$". Very Happy Very Happy

SamCogar

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum