WV Forum for News, Politics, and Sports
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

AAAWWWW GEEEZE, the Gazette Editors are mystified

+2
ohio county
SamCogar
6 posters

Go down

AAAWWWW GEEEZE, the Gazette Editors are mystified Empty AAAWWWW GEEEZE, the Gazette Editors are mystified

Post by SamCogar Wed May 21, 2008 8:55 am

Bigotry

Ugly election fallout

AROUND America, various commentators are painting West Virginia in unflattering hues, alleging that mountain white prejudice was a large factor in last week's strong vote against black Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama.

In The Huffington Post, columnist John K. Wilson said "West Virginia's voters revealed that they are the most racist in the country so far in the Democratic primaries." Almost one-fourth of Mountain State voters admitted openly in exit polls that racial concern swayed their ballot choice - the highest rate found in any state, even in the Deep South.

TV comic Jon Stewart broadcast what one newspaper called "two or three jaw-dropping clips of interviews with white voters in West Virginia who said they wouldn't vote for the black guy under any circumstances."

The Tuscaloosa News in Alabama said white bigotry was "the elephant in the room" in West Virginia's presidential primary. Many commentators noted that this state is 94 percent white, with low education and modest income levels. One West Virginia woman appeared in national TV news saying she couldn't vote for Obama "because he's a Muslim." What woeful ignorance.

It's distressing that such an ugly image of the Mountain State is being displayed after the election. Frankly, we cannot believe that it represents average West Virginians, who tend to be tolerant, friendly, decent and accepting of everyone. We suspect that only the worst examples were selected for national airing.

Nonetheless, it's clear that Appalachian Mountain dwellers have attitudes somewhat different from America as a whole. A New York Times report titled "Skirting Appalachia" pointed out that white voters in the entire highlands region from New York state to northern Mississippi have rejected Obama resoundingly. "The region is whiter, poorer, older, more rural and less-educated than the rest of the country, and seems to be voting like a bloc," the report said.

Glaring prejudice against the black candidate was found in mountainous parts of …………

http://www.wvgazette.com/Opinion/Editorials/200805200549

Well "DUH", was this the first ever "clue" the Gazette ever got about what the rest of the world's impression of West Virrginia is?

Maybe the Gazette will from now on have trouble "averting their eyes and their minds" ...... from what has been happening in WV for the past 75+ years.

Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz

Their ole excuse of ..... "It's the Republican's fault" ..... is politically meaningless outside of West virginia.

SamCogar

Number of posts : 6238
Registration date : 2007-12-28

Back to top Go down

AAAWWWW GEEEZE, the Gazette Editors are mystified Empty Re: AAAWWWW GEEEZE, the Gazette Editors are mystified

Post by ohio county Wed May 21, 2008 9:48 am

Not quite. They've always got the "republicans are so weak in WV that they register democrat" to fall back on.
ohio county
ohio county

Number of posts : 3207

Back to top Go down

AAAWWWW GEEEZE, the Gazette Editors are mystified Empty Re: AAAWWWW GEEEZE, the Gazette Editors are mystified

Post by Stephanie Wed May 21, 2008 9:53 am

We suspect that only the worst examples were selected for national airing.

I don't know why the Gazz would be surprised that other media outlets are hand selecting the most sensational quotes for nationial airing. That's what gets ratings and that's what sells newspapers.

They want a headline and a little sound byte. They are not at all interested in reporting the truth, or portraying an accurate picture of the culture here in the Mountain State. The truth just isn't dirty enough.

There certainly are some West Virginians of the mindset portrayed in the national media. They do not represent the majority of citizens here. The two years I have spent living in this state interacting with her people surely provide me with a much greater knowledge and understanding of racism in WV than anything those vultures are going to gain after a few days on the campaing trail or a few hours outside a polling station. They should be ashamed of themselves, but most so-called journalists have no shame.
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Number of posts : 6556

https://gazzfriends.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Wed May 21, 2008 9:54 am

A New York Times report titled "Skirting Appalachia" pointed out that white voters in the entire highlands region from New York state to northern Mississippi have rejected Obama resoundingly. "The region is whiter, poorer, older, more rural and less-educated than the rest of the country, and seems to be voting like a bloc," the report said.

As I said last week, Obama figured this out a long time ago and that is why he came to WV twice and paid little attention to KY, which are the two biggest states affected by 'Appalachian votes'.

All other states with Appalachian racist voting area's are all offset by larger metropolitan areas and larger black populations that will vote for Obama. In New York, Pennsylvania, Virginia and North Carolina it's the eastern part of those states and in Georgia and Alabama it's the southern sections of the state.

People can whine and moan all they want. Come the fall, Obama won’t be back in West Virginia or Kentucky with the exception of maybe a token appearance or two, or to get his message out to Ohioan’s. Why waste resources on states he’s not going to win?
Aaron
Aaron

Number of posts : 9841

Back to top Go down

Post by ziggy Wed May 21, 2008 11:42 am

Not quite. They've always got the "republicans are so weak in WV that they register democrat" to fall back on.

And which happens to be quite true. In your and my lifetimes and least two WV Governors- representing 16 years of WV Governorship- who were born Repuiblican became registered Democrats as they approached their "political candidacy" age. And numerous members of the state legislature, too.
ziggy
ziggy

Number of posts : 5731

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Wed May 21, 2008 12:15 pm

How many West Virginia democrats are Republicans in whore's clothing? They register as democrats to appease labor and unions.
Aaron
Aaron

Number of posts : 9841

Back to top Go down

Post by ziggy Wed May 21, 2008 12:49 pm

Aaron wrote:How many West Virginia democrats are Republicans in whore's clothing? They register as democrats to appease labor and unions.

A big bunch of 'em are, my friend.
ziggy
ziggy

Back to top Go down

Post by ohio county Wed May 21, 2008 1:11 pm

While I'm inclined to agree that there are many conservative democrats in West Virginia, you don't do your case any favors by citing Rockefeller and Caperton - two democrats who are not conservative.
ohio county
ohio county

Back to top Go down

Post by ziggy Wed May 21, 2008 4:56 pm

While I'm inclined to agree that there are many conservative democrats in West Virginia, you don't do your case any favors by citing Rockefeller and Caperton - two democrats who are not conservative.

I'm not sure what you think my "case" to be. But it absolutely true that Rockefeller and Caperton were Republicans turned registered Democrats for political convenience. In their former lives, (pre-political candidacy) they were Republicans.

If you are suggesting that differences between registered "Republicans" and "Democrats" are becoming more and more indistinguishable, then yeah, that is one result of such political inter-marriage as we are talking about here.
ziggy
ziggy

Back to top Go down

Post by TerryRC Thu May 22, 2008 4:36 am

I have heard some of my neighbors saying that Obama is the AntiChrist predicted in Revelations.

There are a number of pentecostal and baptist preachers pushing this concept.

Voting based on a 2000 year-old mythology - good stuff, that.

TerryRC

Number of posts : 2762
Registration date : 2008-01-05

Back to top Go down

Post by ziggy Thu May 22, 2008 8:30 am

So it wasn't McGovern nor Clinton nor Gore nor Kerry after all?
ziggy
ziggy

Back to top Go down

Post by ohio county Thu May 22, 2008 8:47 am

Ziggy said:
'm not sure what you think my "case" to be.
Aaron said:
How many West Virginia democrats are Republicans in whore's clothing?
Ziggy responded:
A big bunch of 'em are...

I think it can be demonstrated that many registered democrats in West Virginia act like republicans. Joe Manchin comes to mind. Bill Sharpe. Whether Rockefeller or Caperton ever were republicans, neither has, to the best of my knowledge, ever committed a public act which would make any observer think they were ever anything but life-long democrats. If you are quick to say that there are many why cite as an example two who are not good examples?
ohio county
ohio county

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down