WV Forum for News, Politics, and Sports
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Whither NATO?

+2
ohio county
shermangeneral
6 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Whither NATO? - Page 2 Empty Re: Whither NATO?

Post by ziggy Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:05 am

It's too late for him to do that now. As President, GWB is a hopeless lost cause.

But seven years or so ago he should have determined to build international respect for American diplomatic ititiatives. But when the wholly unnecessary invasion of Iraq began, GWB forfeited the diplomatic high ground to overt militarism. And since then, as he has such pre-conditions for talks with Iran, for example, as to effectively thumb his nose at the idea of diplomatic negotiations being preferable to gunboat diplomacy.

But it's too late for Bush now. He has destroyed the bridge. And he'll be outta here before there's time to rebuild it. Maybe the next guy will do better.
ziggy
ziggy

Number of posts : 5731
Registration date : 2007-12-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:12 am

You seem to forget to mention that more then 70% of the WORLD public opinion approved of GWB's actions in Iraq.

And there is also current conditions talks going on with Iran now. Yes they are backdoor talks and that's where they should remain until Iran is willing to meet certain conditions. I don't have a problem with that but then personally, I don't think we should negotiate with a country who's stated goal is to wipe an American ally off the face of the earth or who is providing weapons for the express purpose of killing Americans, but that's just me.
Aaron
Aaron

Number of posts : 9841

Back to top Go down

Post by ziggy Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:20 am

You seem to forget to mention that more then 70% of the WORLD public opinion approved of GWB's actions in Iraq.

1- How was that number arrived at?

2- I think it was you who said that the prevailing public opinion is often wrong.
ziggy
ziggy

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:26 am

Public opinion polls and no, I never said that. The problem isn't with the opinion but with those that constantly adapt their views to meet the ever changing public opinion.
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by ziggy Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:30 am

Aaron wrote:Public opinion polls and no, I never said that. The problem isn't with the opinion but with those that constantly adapt their views to meet the ever changing public opinion.

Well if you didn't say that, I apologize for my error of memory.

So public opinion is always right, but it is wrong to adapt views about government policy to that public opinion?
ziggy
ziggy

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:35 am

No public opinion isn't always right, it's opinion and changes daily. The folly is in politicians trying to adapt their policy to meet the that everchanging opinion. You can say a lot of things about GWB but like him or hate him, you can't say he's a poll chaser. I'd rather have a man of conviction as my leader then one who can't make up his mind until he reads the latest opinion poll.
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by ziggy Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:04 pm

No public opinion isn't always right, it's opinion and changes daily. The folly is in politicians trying to adapt their policy to meet the that everchanging opinion. You can say a lot of things about GWB but like him or hate him, you can't say he's a poll chaser. I'd rather have a man of conviction as my leader then one who can't make up his mind until he reads the latest opinion poll.

Then how is this statement irrelevant:

Aaron wrote:You seem to forget to mention that more then 70% of the WORLD public opinion approved of GWB's actions in Iraq.
ziggy
ziggy

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:05 pm

Who said that statement was irrelevent?
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum