WV Forum for News, Politics, and Sports
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is Iraq an election issue???

2 posters

Go down

Is Iraq an election issue??? Empty Is Iraq an election issue???

Post by Aaron Sat Aug 23, 2008 12:27 am

Iraq deal hovers over presidential campaign By CHARLES BABINGTON, Associated Press Writer
Fri Aug 22, 3:39 PM ET

WASHINGTON - Republican presidential candidate John McCain prides himself on being gung-ho about pursuing the Iraq war even if it hurts him politically. Recent events in Baghdad threaten to put him still farther out on a limb, however, as the Bush administration works toward a troop withdrawal schedule that is more aggressive than McCain envisions.

Democrat Barack Obama says a McCain presidency would amount to a third term for President Bush, whose popularity approaches historic lows. If the Baghdad negotiations appear headed to fruition while Iraq remains relatively stable — big ifs — some say Obama may be able to push even harder, saying McCain would out-Bush Bush if he had his way.

On the other hand, if Americans believe the war is winding down in an acceptable way, it could significantly reduce the importance of an issue central to Obama's rise to political prominence.

Iraq and the Bush administration have reached a preliminary agreement under which U.S. combat forces would pull out of major Iraqi cities, where most of the fighting has taken place, by next June and leave Iraq by 2011. It would link troop reductions to achievement of certain undisclosed security milestones. The deal also would require the endorsement of top Iraqi leaders and the Iraqi parliament, which is far from certain.

more here

Wasn't someone on this forum saying pretty much the same thing???
Aaron
Aaron

Number of posts : 9841
Registration date : 2007-12-28

Back to top Go down

Is Iraq an election issue??? Empty Re: Is Iraq an election issue???

Post by shermangeneral Sat Aug 23, 2008 9:40 am

Well I expect for lots of people that will sound like a good deal to get out by 2011. (3 more years)

It does not sound good to me, but I know I could be in the minority.

Wonder how that will add up moneywise?

How many troops will be kept there for three more years?

And what will be done with the big military bases?

Also does the choice of Biden indicate Obama has bought into his idea to partition the country?

I suspect nobody knows all the answers.

shermangeneral

Number of posts : 1347
Registration date : 2007-12-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Sat Aug 23, 2008 9:48 am

I hate to be the one to burst your bubble Sherm but Obama isn't bringing all the troops out in 16 months and neither was Hillary or Edwards. Of the 18 candidates that originally sought out their party's nomination for President, only 4 were committed to bringing home ALL troops.

Ron Paul, Dennis Kucinich, Mike Gravel and Bill Richardson were the only ones who stated they would bring home ALL troops.
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by shermangeneral Sat Aug 23, 2008 9:52 am

You are not busting my bubble.

I did not put too much stock in Obama's commitment.

I hope I am wrong about that, but his choice of Biden indicates you might be right.

I might go along with troops for awhile if they were needed to partition the country.

shermangeneral

Back to top Go down

Post by shermangeneral Sat Aug 23, 2008 1:16 pm

What do others think about Biden's idea/proposal to partition the country into three autonomous or semi-autonomous zones?

shermangeneral

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Sat Aug 23, 2008 1:21 pm

A year and a half ago I said the exact same thing on the old forum Sherm. At that time I believed it was the only way. Since then, we've had the surge, which was successful in reducing sectarian violence, the factions are starting to work together and Iraq's are slowly but surely gaining control of their country.

Unless someone comes along and screws it up by doing something extremely stupid, I think Iraq is on the right track and the best thing we can do is continue to provide support and security when needed and give Iraqi's the space they need to fix their country.

IMHO, separating them when they are just coming together would be the wrong thing to do. If they can solve their problems and develope a somewhat stable democracy, who knows how much effect it can have on other countries in that part of the world.
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by shermangeneral Sat Aug 23, 2008 6:44 pm

Well I hope you are right.

Because I think whoever is elected the outcome will be the same.

shermangeneral

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Sun Aug 24, 2008 4:36 am

As it should!
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down