WV Forum for News, Politics, and Sports
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The "State's Newspaper" Must Have Missed This.

4 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

The "State's Newspaper" Must Have Missed This. Empty The "State's Newspaper" Must Have Missed This.

Post by ohio county Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:26 am

In all fairness, I cannot tell about the propriety of this suit. I cannot imagine VISA and Mastercard turning over and settling for $12 million if they are not guilty. I don't see anything that discusses the merits of the case. I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt. And in all candor, the Consumer Protection Division of the Attorney General's Office has done a lot of work for me. My Dad got older and fell prey to charlatans, crooks, purveyors of sweepstakes, etc. I was able to get him relief every time. I owe them a debt of gratitude for that and have probably been remiss is not mentioning it sooner.

The Attorney General has no authority to make a settlement that "gives" consumers a tax holiday. The Attorney General has no authority to grant no-bid contracts to his political contributors. What's wrong with sending those settlements to the Treasury?

Last edited by ohio county on Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
ohio county
ohio county

Number of posts : 3207
Registration date : 2007-12-28

Back to top Go down

The "State's Newspaper" Must Have Missed This. Empty Re: The "State's Newspaper" Must Have Missed This.

Post by Aaron Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:09 am

So you want businesses to 'follow the laws and stop cheating West Virginians out of their health and their wealth' but you have no problem whatsoever that the AG doesn't abide by the same standards, right Frank!!!
Aaron
Aaron

Number of posts : 9841

Back to top Go down

The "State's Newspaper" Must Have Missed This. Empty Re: The "State's Newspaper" Must Have Missed This.

Post by ziggy Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:08 pm

The Attorney General has no authority to make a settlement that "gives" consumers a tax holiday.

It was the state legislature that "gave" consumers a tax holiday.
ziggy
ziggy

Number of posts : 5731

Back to top Go down

Post by ziggy Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:19 pm

So you want businesses to 'follow the laws and stop cheating West Virginians out of their health and their wealth' but you have no problem whatsoever that the AG doesn't abide by the same standards, right Frank!!!

The AG hasn't even been charged with doing anything illegal- let alone been tried for any- other than in the State Journal and other corporate leaning rags. All you've got are the same politically motivated whinings that we see every four years or so.

One would think that after 16 years there would be more than just more political season smoke.

You faux concern for following the laws is revealed here:

With nearly 300 employees to try and find some sort of work for, no wonder he goes after so many businesses.

If McGraw was as do-nothing about corporate wrongdoing as the former AG was, you would not be lifting even one finger in protest of him.
ziggy
ziggy

Back to top Go down

Post by ziggy Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:26 pm

What's wrong with sending those settlements to the Treasury?

I don't know that there would be anything wrong with doing that, OC.

But after 16 years, as bad as the corporate apologists hate McGraw, one would think they would have nailed him by now- IF what he is doing is all that bad in the eyes of WV law.

Are his corporate detractors just a bunch of legal wimps who can't get their political target even indicted for the crimes they repeatedly claim?
ziggy
ziggy

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:28 pm

You don't know what I would be protesting Frank. Much as you and Sherm do, I don't have a one track mind. It is not the going after or the who I take issue with. It is the manner in which he does it, the use of taxpayer money to purchase campaign paraphernalia (which is illegal) and the distribution of the settlements, which the federal government has said is wrong based on their withholding of Medicare reimbursement funds.

No matter if what he is doing is right or not, the end DOES NOT justify the means and if you think it does, well then, once again, you are wrong.
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by ziggy Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:33 pm

It is the manner in which he does it, the use of taxpayer money to purchase campaign paraphernalia (which is illegal)

If it is all so "illegal", then where are the indictments?

and the distribution of the settlements, which the federal government has said is wrong based on their withholding of Medicare reimbursement funds.

The federal government did not say it was "wrong". It said only that the way it was done affected the allocation of federal funds. We can bet our right arm that had the Republican U.S. Department of Justice found anything "wrong" or "illegal", that McGraw's political detractors in corporate crime would have seen to it that he was indicted in a political flash.
ziggy
ziggy

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:47 pm

There are no indictments for the same reason there will be none for Aracoma or a number of other incidents that would require indictments. This is, after all, West Virginia Frank. I thought you were supposed to be smart about WV politicians and the corruptness that abounds amongst them.
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by ohio county Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:49 pm

Since when did we demand indictments for our crooked politicians? Shermangeneral could talk you into a prison sentence if he were a republican.
ohio county
ohio county

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:51 pm

Hell, isn't being corrupt a requirement to be West Virginia politician!!!

Even one of the stated better governonrs in Arch Moore was a thief and crook!!!
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by ohio county Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:01 pm

It was the state legislature that "gave" consumers a tax holiday.

Well, good, then. You won't be insinuating that the court required it as a part of their ruling.

I'll accept a view that corrupt corporations watch their butts in West Virginia if you'll just accept that we all accept a balance between progressive justice and following existing law. I have come around to the opinion that VISA and Mastercard were being sued around the country and that the West Virginia settlement was prescient and groundbreaking. There is some merit to it.

However, the AG has no right to hire his conributors to prosecute the case. He has no right to hire them without competitively bidding the work. He has no right to accept any part of the settlement funds. He has no right to fabricate campaign trinkets on the public's dollar.

Will you concede that he is pushing the limits of ethics with regard to no-bid contracts, contracts to his contributors, and settlements that do not reward his aggrieved clients?
ohio county
ohio county

Back to top Go down

Post by ziggy Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:18 pm

Will you concede that he is pushing the limits of ethics with regard to no-bid contracts, contracts to his contributors, and settlements that do not reward his aggrieved clients?

Yes, I do concede that. And I wish to hell he wouldn't do it- because it detracts, and allows his political enemies to detract even further, from the good work he does do.
ziggy
ziggy

Back to top Go down

Post by ohio county Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:28 pm

He does do some good work.
ohio county
ohio county

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephanie Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:39 pm

I have said from the beginning I think McGraw is ok. lol

I'm used to RI politics.....by RI standards McGraw is nearly a saint.

However.....

The things he does are not ethical. We should demand more from all of our elected officials, but it is especially important that the Attorney General lead by example for crying out loud.

I'm voting for Dan Greear. I've spoken to him a few times an he certainly comes across as a man of integrity. McGraw should not be reelected.

I'm sure the gentleman from Ohio Countyis pleased to hear me say that. lol I just had to play catch-up being a WV newbie. I have a much better understanding of the situation in the AG's office today than I did even just six months ago.

Sadly, I'm not so sure the same can be said about the majority of West Virginians. We'll see in November.
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Number of posts : 6556

https://gazzfriends.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ohio county Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:52 pm

There's always hope. If all WVians were as malleable as you, we might actually have something here. You're thinking (like me) why don't WVians see? You're on the look out.

See where Teddy is on the prowl over at the WVGazette.com?
ohio county
ohio county

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephanie Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:29 pm

ohio county wrote:There's always hope. If all WVians were as malleable as you, we might actually have something here. You're thinking (like me) why don't WVians see? You're on the look out.

See where Teddy is on the prowl over at the WVGazette.com?

OMG I can't wait till Verizon finally has DSL here. I'm about ready just to call it quits online until they do.

grrr....lemme try posting that again.

I can't help but wonder if some voters think they may be better off with the devil they know and it isn't all apathy.

Ted B? eeks. I'm trying to load that website now. I haven't spent much time at all over there in recent months. I'm bitter, I wish I could say I am kidding but I'm not. They could have given us the contact list or at least posted this as a link the creeps.
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ziggy Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:43 pm

I can't help but wonder if some voters think they may be better off with the devil they know and it isn't all apathy.

Yes, I suspect so too.
ziggy
ziggy

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:59 am

I found this commentary interesting.

McGraw's lead balloon

4/18/2008 12:53 PM

Feel like doing the fighting for the trial bar?

Thanks to State Attorney General Darrell McGraw, we West Virginians have joined another trial lawyer-concocted fracas, this one against the entire $21 billion, 354,000-employee U.S. paint industry.

This week, McGraw joined an amicus brief in the Rhode Island Supreme Court, quietly bestowing the blessing of all West Virginians upon his crusading counterpart, that state's Attorney General Patrick Lynch, who wants a cool $2.4 billion to abate the problem.

Led by mega-plaintiff's firm Motley Rice, Lynch is supporting a state-powered assault against the largest paint manufacturers in
America. He's accusing them of creating a "public nuisance" by making and selling lead paint many decades ago when it was legal and society's only available option.

Lead paint was banned by the federal government in 1978; neither Lynch nor McGraw nor any of the professional grievance-makers at Motley Rice allege the companies in their crosshairs, household names like Dutch Boy and Sherwin-Williams, has broken the law.

There is no specific evidence in the case that anyone has been hurt by the paint companies' pre-1978 paint, or that lead paint's existence on older structures threatens a health epidemic.

Some of the paint is still out there. One coat of post-1978 paint over the old, and the threat is gone. How many locations haven't been painted in 30 years?

But simple, practical solutions might obstruct the ambitions of trial lawyers hunting for jackpot justice. In lead paint, they smell another
tobacco payday--a lever through which they corral the heft of the state to produce hundreds of millions in fees from law-abiding companies. For men like Lynch and McGraw, the prospect is mouthwatering.

The promise here is money--not just for trial lawyers, but for politicians, too. Too often, the legal fees trickle down via plaintiff's firms to their favorite politicians' campaigns.

Since they started working with AG Lynch, the partners of Motley Rice, based in Charleston, South Carolina, have become some of Rhode Island's leading campaign contributors. Sound familiar?

When Darrell McGraw crosses state lines, going out of his way to take such outlandish, tyrannical positions, he discredits not just his own reputation but that of our state. If we want West Virginia to be taken seriously as a place that means business, this anti-corporate crusading must stop.

source
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephanie Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:43 am

There is no specific evidence in the case that anyone has been hurt by the paint companies' pre-1978 paint, or that lead paint's existence on older structures threatens a health epidemic.

Some of the paint is still out there. One coat of post-1978 paint over the old, and the threat is gone. How many locations haven't been painted in 30 years?

That is just bullshit.

Do a bit of reading up on the lead levels in young children living in homes and apartments with lead paint. Then do a bit of reading on all of the problems directly related to high levels of lead in the bloodstream ranging from learning disabilities to even death.

Dutch Boy and these other paint manufacturers knew for many years lead paint was harming children, but they sold it anyway.
Why shouldn't they be made to pay for the clean up and the treatment of those negatively impacted?
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ohio county Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:33 pm

I found evidence that exposure to lead-based paint will cause folks to eat clam chowder in a clear broth. I can't even imagine...
ohio county
ohio county

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephanie Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:36 pm

Don't knock it till ya try it, Jimmah ole boy!
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ohio county Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:39 pm

Which? The paint exposure or the clear broth?
ohio county
ohio county

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:42 pm

Where should I start reading Stephanie?
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephanie Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:44 pm

lmao

I've obviously already been exposed to both.

Aaron I'll do a little looking around and find you some info.
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:51 pm

I'll do a little research on my own as well.

Last edited by Aaron on Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next