WV Forum for News, Politics, and Sports
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Were you overcontrolled, undercontrolled or incontrol?

2 posters

Go down

Were you overcontrolled, undercontrolled or incontrol? Empty Were you overcontrolled, undercontrolled or incontrol?

Post by SamCogar Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:13 am

And did you ever grow up, …… I mean “get incontrol” of it?

Well, read the following and you might find out. lol!

Tues., Jan. 15, 2008

Ever wonder if that quiet girl who hid in the back corner of the classroom ever burst out of her shell? Perhaps she became a whiz at computers. And what about the class clown? Did all his attention-grabbing antics develop into a charm that would later earn him big bucks selling timeshares in Bermuda?

New research shows that in most cases the personalities displayed very early in life — as young as preschool — will stay with us into adulthood. The wallflowers will stay shy and reticent, though they will learn in time to be a little more sociable and assertive. And the average kids, the more resilient ones, will remain so.

But there is an interesting exception: The study found that as the most noisy and rambunctious kids hit their 20s, they still were more aggressive than the others yet they had become considerably more withdrawn than they were earlier in life. The researchers suspect that negative feedback from peers over the years makes these kids more self-conscious and quiet.

"At first, their impulsive behavior may appear 'cool,' gaining them social recognition," says the study’s lead author Jaap Dennissen, a professor of psychology at Humboldt University in Berlin, Germany. "However, as people grow up and are expected to act more mature, such impulsive behavior is increasingly rejected. Because of this expected rejection by peers, [they] may act in an increasingly shy manner.”

The new study, which appears in the February issue of the Journal of Personality, followed 103 kids for 19 years, starting when they were age 4 and ending when they hit their early 20s.

The overcontrolled kids were generally the ones most of us would categorize as shy: quiet, self-conscious, uncomfortable around strangers. “Overcontrollers control their emotions too much,” explains Dennissen. “So they are less able to act ‘natural’ and ‘spontaneous.’ Because they are so slow to warm up, they are seen by others as shy.”

Undercontrollers have too little control over impulses, Dennissen says. “When they feel frustrated they may act aggressively towards others, notwithstanding the negative consequences.”

The resilient kids (incontrollers) are the ones in the middle who are good at modulating their emotions, interacting with others and bouncing back from adversity.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22554554/

Now I agree with their deductive results but I’m pretty sure I will have to exclude myself from being one of those …….. “cases the personalities displayed very early in life will stay with us into adulthood”.

I would have to classify myself as a “switchcontroller” in that I’m sure I started out and remained an “incontroller” for several years, ….. abruptly switched to an “overcontroller”, …… and after many years I reacquired my status of “incontroller”.

I finally “got back incontrol” of it, ……………… I think. Laughing Laughing Laughing

SamCogar

Number of posts : 6238
Registration date : 2007-12-28

Back to top Go down

Were you overcontrolled, undercontrolled or incontrol? Empty Re: Were you overcontrolled, undercontrolled or incontrol?

Post by TerryRC Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:19 am

...are good at modulating their emotions, interacting with others...

You, an incontroller... ? Surely you jest. You become irritated and angered far too easily.

TerryRC

Number of posts : 2762
Registration date : 2008-01-05

Back to top Go down

Were you overcontrolled, undercontrolled or incontrol? Empty Re: Were you overcontrolled, undercontrolled or incontrol?

Post by SamCogar Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:39 am

TerryRC wrote:...are good at modulating their emotions, interacting with others...

You, an incontroller... ? Surely you jest. You become irritated and angered far too easily.

HA, you sure don't know very much about "human nature" as it pertains to one's "thinking and actions", ........ now do you?

Terry, I'm sure you have been nurtured in the use of "harassment" and the results it garners from the majority of the populace, .... because you employ said quite often.

But GEEEZE, even a dog will "growl" to get a reaction.

Terry, one speaking the truth and/or admonishing/criticizing those for actions/deeds unbecoming ....... does not necessarily equate to one being irritated and angered.

One is more prone to making "mistakes" when they are "irritated and/or angered", ..... and I seldom make mistakes of any kind on these or past forums.

Why I seldom ever get irritated or angered at my wife anymore. Laughing Laughing Laughing

SamCogar

Back to top Go down

Post by TerryRC Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:39 am

One is more prone to making "mistakes" when they are "irritated and/or angered", ..... and I seldom make mistakes of any kind on these or past forums.

Not admitting to mistakes is not the same as not making them, Sam.

TerryRC

Back to top Go down

Post by SamCogar Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:43 am

TerryRC wrote:One is more prone to making "mistakes" when they are "irritated and/or angered", ..... and I seldom make mistakes of any kind on these or past forums.

Not admitting to mistakes is not the same as not making them, Sam.

Tell me about it, Terry. Laughing Laughing Laughing

SamCogar

Back to top Go down

Post by TerryRC Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:05 am

Tell me about it, Terry.

As if I would need to. I don't recall you ever admitting to a mistake.

It could be that you are never wrong... oh look, it's the Easter Bunny...

TerryRC

Back to top Go down

Post by SamCogar Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:28 am

TerryRC wrote:Tell me about it, Terry.

As if I would need to. I don't recall you ever admitting to a mistake.

It could be that you are never wrong... oh look, it's the Easter Bunny...

Now I admitted my spelling error to you, ....... "sign" when it should have been "sine".

Your recall doesn't appear to be that great.

And I admitted to Ziggy and Sherman my mistake of thinking that the Mt. Storm Lake they were talking about ...... was the Stony River Reservoir I was thinking of.

cheers

SamCogar

Back to top Go down

Post by TerryRC Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:30 am

I missed that.

My mistake.

TerryRC

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum