WV Forum for News, Politics, and Sports
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What should Darrell McGraw do now?

+3
ohio county
Aaron
sodbuster
7 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

What should AG Darrell McGraw do now.?

What should Darrell McGraw do now? Vote_lcap50%What should Darrell McGraw do now? Vote_rcap 50% 
[ 1 ]
What should Darrell McGraw do now? Vote_lcap50%What should Darrell McGraw do now? Vote_rcap 50% 
[ 1 ]

Total Votes : 2

What should Darrell McGraw do now? Empty What should Darrell McGraw do now?

Post by sodbuster Thu Nov 06, 2008 8:37 am

http://wvgazette.com/News/200811050102?page=2&build=cache

Well I have been thinking about the way Judge McGraw runs the AG office and started to post a couple times but thought better of it.

Partly because I was not sure how serious some of the other posters have been about their criticisms.

I suspect a lot is just political rhetoric put out by professional smear merchants such as the "swiftboat" outfit, etc. And picked up by our political operatives here.

But now that he has dodged the bullet again, I would really like to know what would make his detractors happy?

Option #1 would be the easiest.

He is 71 years old and has had a good productive life and career.

Most people would not blame him if he just toned things down and ran a "caretaker" type operation like most of his predecessors.

If he would just settle down and maintain a low profile his political detractors would probably just leave him alone and he could have a pretty cushy set-up for another couple terms and then retire.

Or he could choose option #2 and continue to aggressively pursue the "big money bandits" who swindle and bully the elderly and other vulnerable West Virginia citizens.

In which case he would continue to be the object of well-funded smear tactics as he has up to now.

So I am just curious as to what the other posters here would have him do.

(especially those who have sided with his critics before) Very Happy

Last edited by sodbuster on Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:10 am; edited 1 time in total

sodbuster

Number of posts : 1890
Registration date : 2008-09-05

Back to top Go down

What should Darrell McGraw do now? Empty Re: What should Darrell McGraw do now?

Post by Aaron Thu Nov 06, 2008 8:54 am

You forgot option #3.

Do the job his electors hired him to do while remaining within the parameters of the law.
Aaron
Aaron

Number of posts : 9841
Registration date : 2007-12-28

Back to top Go down

Post by ohio county Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:15 am

#4 - Bite me.
ohio county
ohio county

Number of posts : 3207

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephanie Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:34 am

You keep this up and I'm going to suspend anarchy long enough to take away your ability to create polls.
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Number of posts : 6556

https://gazzfriends.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by sodbuster Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:48 am

OK. Just trying to stimulate discussion.

Do what you will.

sodbuster

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:00 am

Then lets discuss option #3 Sherman.
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephanie Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:08 am

I favor option 3. Perhaps the poll's creator would be kind enough to modify the poll.

I also question why it is voters seem to generally favor lifetime appointments rather than democracy. WV's recent election is clear evidence of this.

In addition to 71 year old McGraw being reelected, Gus Douglas, was also reelected. Is it that their party has such a stranglehold on this state? Is it that people truly like these guys? Is it the devil you know is preferable to the devil you don't know?
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:16 am

What about option #3 Sherman? Can you modify your poll?
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:17 am

And to answer your question Stephanie, I think it's a combination of all 3 with democrats having a stranglehold on this state being the primary one.
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by sodbuster Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:17 am

I guess what you would prefer is affirmative Action for Republicans Stephanie?

If your guys cant get elected should we just let them take office anyway just to be fair?

As to the so-called option 3 I think we all know if Judge McGraw had violated any law the Chamber and other rightwing cronies would spare no expense to see it was prosecuted.

They would love to get rid of him so they can pillage and plunder.

But all they can do is these swiftboat tactics and hope they can fool enough gullible people.

sodbuster

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:26 am

sodbuster wrote:
As to the so-called option 3 I think we all know if Judge McGraw had violated any law the Chamber and other rightwing cronies would spare no expense to see it was prosecuted.

The chamber has no way of enforcing the law and for you to imply they do is misleading. And they certainly have no control over the West Virginia legislature, which is 68% democrats and as a whole, are scared shitless of McGraw.

The ONLY method the Chamber has of fighting McGraw is through their sleazy adds.

Of course it is he who gives them the ammo, unless of course you can provide a link that proves the AG's office does indeed have the constitutional authority to disperse money.

So do you have that link Sherman?
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephanie Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:42 am

I'd prefer people thinking about candidates and issues before they vote rather than going to the polls to vote for President or perhaps Governor and then voting for other candidates based strictly on name recognition or which party they are affiliated with.

I realize it's a lot to ask, but voters should be well informed, otherwise they shouldn't vote, imho.
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sodbuster Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:56 am

Aaron as to adding another option I dont think you can edit a poll.

Least I could not.

But nothing keeps one from ad libbing like you guys have done above.

(although obviously it would be preferable to put a little thought into it. It is not easy as it looks to word the options to please everyone.)

sodbuster

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:01 pm

So I guess that means that no, you don't have the link that shows where the AG's office has constitutional, legal authority to disperse state money Sherman.

Would you by chance have the link that allows him to bid out contracts to political contributors on a contingency fee basis?
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by sodbuster Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:14 pm

"So I guess that means that no, you don't have the link that shows where the AG's office has constitutional, legal authority to disperse state money Sherman."

Well Aaron I dont know where you got that but it did not come from me.

I spent a long time the other day looking that up for someone and posting it.

It had a detailed listing of how the recovered monies were appropriated by the legislature including I believe $600 million toward the unfunded liability in Teachers retirement.

One of the settlements (I believe it was the Oxycontin deal) the court directed in the settlement how the money had to be spent. (drug treatment, law enforcement, etc.) so he dispursed it in accordance with the court order.

A lot of these allegations about McGraw diverting all this money away from the Legislature's direction was just made up by your buddies at the Chamber and their swiftboat cohorts and then repeated by the republican faithful till a lot of people thot it was true.

sodbuster

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:37 pm

You do understand that constitutionally, only the West Virginia legislature has the authority to disperse West Virginia money, which is exactly what each settlement becomes once it a verdict or settlement is reached, not the AG's office and no one, including the AG's office or a court can supercede that authority, don't you Sherman?

As for your last paragraph, we both know how ludicrous that is.

If this was all 'made up by my buddies at the chamber, as you imply, then the federal government wouldn't be trying to recoup the settlement that McGraw turned into a political slush fund and gave to outside lawyers who contributed to his political campaign and return it to the Medicade program, would they Sherman.

And for the record, you should know your childish attempt to alter the conversation by referencing my "buddies at the chamber" won't work. There are a lot of good people at the chamber that want to see nothing but good for West Virginia and many believe McGraw isn't it.
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:52 pm

And I'm still waiting for you to provide the link that gives the AG's office to disperse West Virginia money AND the one that allows him to hire outside lawyers (who contributed heavily to his re-election campaign) on a contingency fee basis.

I don't suppose you'll be providing either of those this year, will you?
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Thu Nov 06, 2008 2:06 pm

If McGraw were on the up and up as you claim Sherman, why did the CMS withhold it's portion of the settlement money from West Virginia's Medicaid program?

Why didn't McGraw contact the governing agency and coordinate how they were to be reimbursed considering the federal government bears the brunt of the cost of Medicaid?

Even if it were legal for him to spend the settlement money, which it's not, by his failure to work with CMS and the federal government, he cost West Virginia tax payers $4.1 million dollars.

Perhaps McGraw’s cronies like you could reimburse the state the money McGraw stole and wasted on political junkets and free advertising. What do you think? You game to pay for what you so ardently support or does your mouth write checks your checkbook can’t cash?

DEPARTMENTAL APPEALS BOARD
Appellate Division
DATE: July 14, 2008

Department of Health and Human Services
SUBJECT: West Virginia Department of
Health and Human Resources
Docket No. A-07-135
Decision No. 2185
DECISION
On September 5, 2007, the West Virginia Department of Health and Human Resources (DHHR) appealed a decision by the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) to disallow $4,143,075 in federal financial participation (FFP) for West Virginia’s Medicaid program. The disallowance stems from a lawsuit filed by the state of West Virginia (State) against companies that manufacture and market the drug OxyContin. The lawsuit was settled before trial, with the defendants agreeing to pay $10million to the Consumer Protection Fund of the Office of the West Virginia Attorney General. CMS found that because the lawsuit had alleged harm to West Virginia’s Medicaid program, the costs of which are borne in part by the federal government, a portion of the settlement proceeds should have been shared with the federal government. Accordingly, CMS issued the challenged disallowance decision in order to recoup what it believed is the federal government's rightful share of the OxyContin settlement proceeds.

more
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephanie Thu Nov 06, 2008 2:17 pm

http://www.statejournal.com/story.cfm?func=viewstory&storyid=45218

The State Journal requested from the Attorney General's Office a copy of the current annual budget for the Consumer Protection Fund, including a list of all disbursements made from the fund between 2002 and 2008 along with an itemized list of how the office distributed the $10 million settlement with Purdue Pharma relating to OxyContin. The request was made Sept. 26, but the newspaper has yet to receive documents detailing the dollars and cents.

"There's just not a print out of who it was paid to," said Attorney General's Office Comptroller Joe Clay, about the budgetary request. "I'm having to go through books and books of information to get what you're asking for, and it takes time to pull out, copy and put back.

"There's six months that for whatever reason somebody's misplaced."

A final criticism over the attorney general's handling over the OxyContin case is whom exactly his office was supposed to be representing.

Look at the paperwork, and the answer would seem to be obvious at first glance. McGraw brought the lawsuit on the behalf of three state agencies: the Department of Health and Human Resources, the Public Employees Insurance Agency and the Workers' Compensation Commission.

But when the time came to settle the lawsuit, the three agencies were not at the bargaining table. They didn't receive any of the settlement money, with the exception of $250,000 going to the DHHR.

To put it in perspective, it would be like a driver hiring an attorney to represent her in a lawsuit against the person who struck her car, then the attorney reaching a settlement with the defendant without consulting her and not giving her any money from the agreement.

The Attorney General's Office says it's not that simple because there is a fourth client it was representing: West Virginia citizens who became addicted to OxyContin. Those citizens were found to incur the vast majority of the damages, with three agencies incurring only a small amount of damages in comparison.

The fund was established to help citizens by supporting programs that would fight substance abuse and provide treatment to addicts.

"Our office did not keep one cent" of the settlement, Hughes said.

However, it turns out there also is a fifth client that believes it is entitled to some of the settlement money.

The federal Centers of Medicare and Medicaid Services, or CMS, found out in 2007 that the state had alleged harm to the state's Medicaid program in its OxyContin lawsuit. CMS administrators wanted to know why Medicaid had not been reimbursed, and they threatened to withhold more than $4.1 million in Medicaid payments to the state to make up what they believed was the program's share of the settlement.

The state DHHR appealed CMS's decision to the U.S. Department of Health and Human Resources Appeals Board, which earlier this year ruled that CMS didn't adequately justify why it is entitled to $4.1 million when there are three other plaintiffs in the case.

The Attorney General's Office issued a news release shortly afterward, hailing the appeals board's decision as a victory for the state. However, the office downplayed the most substantial part of the ruling: The board found that CMS was entitled to part of the settlement because the state had argued harm to its Medicaid program in making its case for the lawsuit.

In other words, the appeals board wasn't questioning that CMS should recover money, just the amount it was asking for.

The appeals board also noted that the Attorney General's Office was aware the federal government may be entitled to a share of the settlement, yet it had purposely attempted to skirt the issue without consulting CMS.

"In spending those funds, the State assumed a calculated risk that CMS would reject its legal position and successfully pursue a disallowance," the board stated in its ruling. "We see nothing unfair about allowing the State to bear the consequences of running that risk."

Those "consequences" could ultimately amount to a few million dollars, although both sides are currently working on what that amount may be. The Attorney General's Office hasn't spelled out where exactly the money would come from given that a large part of the settlement money already has been spent.
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sodbuster Thu Nov 06, 2008 8:03 pm

Well Steph that sounds like the AG really did something bad doesn't it?

Good grief these cases can get complicated.

McGraw recovered millions of dollars for the state that a republican caretaker AG would never have even pursued.

And you take a totally biased rag like the State Journal and seem to think it is Gospel.

McGraw did nothing wrong.

But instead of praising him you let these rightwing outfits fill you full of baloney.

They want rid of McGraw so they can do what the hell they want to the elderly and other vulnerable wv citizens.

sodbuster

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephanie Fri Nov 07, 2008 4:31 am

The elderly and other "vulnerable" citizens of WV didn't get a dime of that money.

McGraw sues on behalf of various agencies....pays out a third of the settlement funds to lawyers (some who contributed to his campaign) and used the rest to dole out money as he saw fit, using the excuse tht those agencies he sued on behalf of, weren't harmed nearly so much as the citizens who became addicted. Well, why didn't those victims get some of the money then? Why didn't he reimburse those poor souls for their medical expenses or lost wages?

That isn't his money to dole out as he sees fit. That money belongs to the taxpayers of WV, not Darrel McGraw. Darrel McGraw doesn't control the purse strings in WV. His calculated decision to fail to include CMS is coming back to bite West Virginians in the ass. Or do you suppose he'll cover it out of his own pocket?
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sodbuster Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:00 am

That is yet to be finally decided re the CMS dispute, and is no doubt being stoked by political enemies.

The drug case settlement was used for drug treatment and drug enforcement, as directed by the court settlement agreement.

But again, if we just had a caretaker in the AG office not only would that funding not be there but the drug pushers would still be plying their trade.

It was probably before you were here but the legislature, Gov. Caperton, and all the "powers that be" were livid with McGraw for suing the tobacco companies.

They did everything they could do to stop it, claiming there was no way in hail he could win.

There was even talk of impeachment.

But then, when he walked away with a cool $2 billion or so settlement there the same bunch was with their hand out.

So there is some history there you may not be aware of.

Darrell McGraw is a Democrat, but not part of the in crowd good ol boy network.

You should meet him sometime.

sodbuster

Back to top Go down

Post by ohio county Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:05 am

The McGraws ARE the in crowd good ol boy network otherwise you'd hate them.
ohio county
ohio county

Back to top Go down

Post by sodbuster Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:25 am

I think you know the Democrat hoi poloi would dearly love to see Darrell McGraw gone.

Dont you remember the panic that set in when Palumbo decided to run for Gov at the last minute and McGraw jumped in and filed for AG.?

Remember Ed ReBrook and all that drama?

sodbuster

Back to top Go down

Post by ohio county Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:31 am

I'll tell you what I'm going to try and do: I'm going to try and quit taking your bait. The people spoke. They re-elected Darrell McGraw. I need to accept that and move on. You want to keep rubbing that in my face you go right ahead. I'm done with it.
ohio county
ohio county

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next