WV Forum for News, Politics, and Sports
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hemo Creator switched ..... rather than fought.

2 posters

Go down

Hemo Creator switched ..... rather than fought. Empty Hemo Creator switched ..... rather than fought.

Post by SamCogar Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:14 am

A young girl spontaneously switched blood types and took on her donor's immune system following a liver transplant, doctors told French news agency AFP Thursday.

It was the first time doctors had seen such an occurrence, according to a report in this week's New England Journal of Medicine.

Demi-Lee Brennan of Australia was seriously ill with liver failure when she received the transplant at Sydney Hospital.

Nine months later, doctors discovered the girl, who was age 9 at the time, had changed blood types and switched immune systems after stem cells from the new liver migrated to her bone marrow.

Michael Stormon, a hepatologist treating her, said the girl is now age 15 and doing well.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,325108,00.html

SamCogar

Number of posts : 6238
Registration date : 2007-12-28

Back to top Go down

Hemo Creator switched ..... rather than fought. Empty Re: Hemo Creator switched ..... rather than fought.

Post by TerryRC Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:21 am

Read about this a couple of days ago.

My theory:

1) The liver is capable of regenerating itself and contains some stem cells (unipotent).

2) Said stem cells somehow became plenipotent and got into her bone marrow.

3) Blood type change.

Oh, you said that in your post...

If they could figure out how this happened, tissue rejection could become a thing of the past.

TerryRC

Number of posts : 2762
Registration date : 2008-01-05

Back to top Go down

Hemo Creator switched ..... rather than fought. Empty Re: Hemo Creator switched ..... rather than fought.

Post by SamCogar Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:18 am

Well now, my buddy who is in dire trouble now because of a botched anal endoscopy procedure that occurred prior to his prostrate cancer surgery and his alcohol consumption exacerbating his problems was telling me several months ago about the Doctors telling him that "his blood type keeps changing" and I just figured he was just BS'ing me.

Now I know it is possible.

SamCogar

Number of posts : 6238
Registration date : 2007-12-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down