WV Forum for News, Politics, and Sports
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Legislating from the Bench

+4
Aaron
ziggy
wvsasha
SamCogar
8 posters

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Legislating from the Bench - Page 4 Empty Re: Legislating from the Bench

Post by SamCogar Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:56 pm

TerryRC wrote:How is it voluntary if it is a prerequisite to participate in an extra-curricular activity?

How can you ask such stupid questions?

Participation in extra-curricular activities is voluntary.

Have a couple more joints Terry, it will help you a bunch.

SamCogar

Number of posts : 6238
Registration date : 2007-12-28

Back to top Go down

Post by SamCogar Mon Jan 05, 2009 6:28 pm

wvsasha wrote:
But....I am one teacher.....I am one person.....

Sasha, so wasn't Martin Luther ......... and he took a stand against a bigger more powerful organization than you are facing. And he rallied others that believed as he did and thus the Protestant Reformation was born.

So Sasha, maybe you could rally some like minded Teachers and “nail” your demands for change to the School House door.

SamCogar

Back to top Go down

Post by TerryRC Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:27 am

Have a couple more joints Terry, it will help you a bunch.

Shut the fuck up, Sam. It will make you look less idiotic.

TerryRC

Number of posts : 2762
Registration date : 2008-01-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:44 am

I realize that 1st, I edited a post and 2nd, you and Sam are tying to see who can out asshole who with some of your comments (fyi, you won this one) so you missed the question but I’m still curious.

Does participation in an extra-curricular activity on a voluntary basis mean that we as citizens are expected to give up our constitutional rights?
Aaron
Aaron

Number of posts : 9841

Back to top Go down

Legislating from the Bench - Page 4 Empty Metro 911 files to intervene in school drug testing case

Post by ziggy Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:34 pm

Pete Thaw may eventually get all the drug testing thrown out- throughout Kanawha county.

Lawyers for Metro 911 filed a motion in federal court Tuesday to intervene in a case over random drug testing of school employees, saying that an unsuccessful outcome could limit the emergency operation center's own policy that allows random drug tests.

Kanawha Commission President Kent Carper knows there are differences between the existing Metro 911 policy and the Kanawha County schools policy, which is on hold until a legal battle works through the courts.

"Each agency ...has different policies. But ours isn't proposed. Ours is in effect right this minute," Carper said. "At the end of the day, the final ruling will affect our policy."

When asked if a federal judge might find that random drug tests for teachers are different than for emergency dispatchers, Carper said the issue goes beyond just those employees.

Metro 911 officials drug test receptionists, computer technicians and all of its other employees, Carper said. Last month, at Carper's request, the Metro 911 governing board voted to intervene in the case.

What if, for instance, "there's been junk put into the [computer] system?" he asked.

"I think it's really, really important that when you call 911 we show up," he said, and added that the weakest link could cause a breakdown in emergency response.

Also, pending the outcome of the federal court case, Kanawha's courthouse officials will talk about whether to suspend drug testing at Thursday's regular meeting of the Kanawha County Commission.

On Dec. 29, Chief U.S. District Judge Joseph R. Goodwin granted a temporary injunction to block the Kanawha County school system from randomly drug testing teachers and most other employees starting Jan. 1.

http://www.wvgazette.com/News/200901060717
ziggy
ziggy

Number of posts : 5731

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:37 pm

What I would like to know is why this is a federal case.
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by ziggy Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:14 pm

Uh, maybe because the Bill of Rights, which includes the 4th Amendment, is part of the U.S. (Federal) Constitution?
ziggy
ziggy

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:03 am

So any case that involves a violation of the 4th amendment is a federal case?
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by SamCogar Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:22 am

Any case is a federal case if Ziggy says so.

SamCogar

Back to top Go down

Post by ziggy Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:26 am

An agrieved party can file a case or for an injunction in whatever Court it cares to. It is up to that Court to decide if it has jurisdiction.

And I would think that, yes, a federal Court could have jurisdiction in a case involving 4th Amendment rights.
ziggy
ziggy

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:03 pm

It went at the request of the school board lawyers, not the teachers, who filed the suit in Kanawha County.
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by SamCogar Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:30 pm

ziggy wrote:An agrieved party can file a case or for an injunction in whatever Court it cares to. It is up to that Court to decide if it has jurisdiction.

And I would think that, yes, a federal Court could have jurisdiction in a case involving 4th Amendment rights.

There is settled Law that says such is not a violation of 4th Amendment rights.

And then there is this "monkey wrench", to wit:

January 7, 2009
Metro 911 files motion to intervene in Kanawha school drug testing case

Lawyers for Metro 911 filed a motion in federal court Tuesday to intervene in a case over random drug testing of school employees, saying that an unsuccessful outcome could limit the emergency operation center's own policy that allows random drug tests.

Kanawha Commission President Kent Carper knows there are differences between the existing Metro 911 policy and the Kanawha County schools policy, which is on hold until a legal battle works through the courts.

"Each agency ...has different policies. But ours isn't proposed. Ours is in effect right this minute," Carper said. "At the end of the day, the final ruling will affect our policy."

When asked if a federal judge might find that random drug tests for teachers are different than for emergency dispatchers, Carper said the issue goes beyond just those employees.

Metro 911 officials drug test receptionists, computer technicians and all of its other employees, Carper said. Last month, at Carper's request, the Metro 911 governing board voted to intervene in the case.

http://www.wvgazette.com/News/200901060717

Legislating from the Bench - Page 4 197570 Legislating from the Bench - Page 4 197570 lol! lol! lol! Legislating from the Bench - Page 4 197570 Legislating from the Bench - Page 4 197570

SamCogar

Back to top Go down

Post by ziggy Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:31 pm

Sam, please try to keep up.

That article is precisely what my post was about- right down to the same url link.

Pete Thaw has done gone and upset the shit wagon, and it looks like it's gonna' fly back right in his face.
ziggy
ziggy

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:57 pm

I don't think it will, not in federal court, this judges pre conceived prejudices notwithstanding.

I pondered this this evening and I can see why the school board wants this in federal court. I think the odds are against the teachers in this one.
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by ziggy Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:41 am

A train, nuclear reactor, or firearm in the hands of someone on drugs presents an actual concrete risk to numerous people - the same cannot be said for a teacher wielding a history textbook. The current state of evidence is such that the safety interests at stake are hypothetical and they cannot be extrapolated to outweigh the employees' privacy interests, which are not diminished in any way by virtue of their employment in a public school," the opinion states.

"To be clear, I am not suggesting that the [school board] are required to wait for an actual injury to occur. But [they] must demonstrate that the threat to student safety is one that is a concrete, actual danger that permeates the ordinary job performance of each of the relevant positions. The [school board] may not abandon the Fourth Amendment for nebulous risks."

http://www.wvgazette.com/News/200901080733
ziggy
ziggy

Back to top Go down

Post by SamCogar Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:14 pm

ziggy wrote:Sam, please try to keep up.

That article is precisely what my post was about- right down to the same url link.

Then why did you recently post this:

ziggy wrote:Uh, maybe because the Bill of Rights, which includes the 4th Amendment, is part of the U.S. (Federal) Constitution?

SamCogar

Back to top Go down

Post by ziggy Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:24 pm

Because it was the correct answer to Aaron's question about why it is in federal Court.
ziggy
ziggy

Back to top Go down

Post by ziggy Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:28 pm

There is settled Law that says such is not a violation of 4th Amendment rights.

It might be "settled" for someone, somewhere. But it's not "settled" for a bunch of Kanawha County school system employees.
ziggy
ziggy

Back to top Go down

Post by wvsasha Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:41 pm

ziggy wrote:It might be "settled" for someone, somewhere. But it's not "settled" for a bunch of Kanawha County school system employees.

ME!ME!ME!ME!
wvsasha
wvsasha

Number of posts : 145

http://wvskphillips.edublogs.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:08 pm

ziggy wrote:Because it was the correct answer to Aaron's question about why it is in federal Court.

Partially correct. The case was originally filed in state court, as it was required. Once there, either party can them make a motion to move it to federal court, which is what the school board did. They went there because, this biased judges ruling notwithstanding, they are more likely to win in federal court.
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by ziggy Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:59 pm

The case was originally filed in state court, as it was required. Once there, either party can them make a motion to move it to federal court, which is what the school board did. They went there because, this biased judges ruling notwithstanding, they are more likely to win in federal court.

That remains to be seen. So far they are batting zero.

I predict that the Kanawha School Board will lose this one. There is a whole world out there beyond the range of Pete Thaw's authoritarian vision.
ziggy
ziggy

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephanie Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:51 am

I have heard very good things about Pete Thaw from parents in that school district. It seems he is the only member willing to listen to what they have to say and he is the only one willing to help them when they run into difficulties.
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Number of posts : 6556

https://gazzfriends.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ziggy Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:40 am

Stephanie wrote:I have heard very good things about Pete Thaw from parents in that school district. It seems he is the only member willing to listen to what they have to say and he is the only one willing to help them when they run into difficulties.

That may well be, Stephanie.

But his grasp on law and the Constitution and the Bill of Rights appears to be weak.
ziggy
ziggy

Back to top Go down

Post by SamCogar Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:18 am

The Constitution Rights of the Teachers

do not trumph

the Constitution Rights of the students.

Legislating from the Bench - Page 4 197570 Legislating from the Bench - Page 4 197570 Legislating from the Bench - Page 4 197570

SamCogar

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephanie Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:21 am

How so? If employees in the private sector must submit to random drug testing, why not employees in the public sector?

I read that article in the Gazz....a teacher weilding a history book and all that.....what about a teacher in charge of a group of 6 y/o's. They need constant supervision, they are 6. What about the industrial arts teacher with the class of 25 13 y/o's with power tools?

Those students and their parents have rights too, you know. The state has decided to compel them to attend school and their local school district has decided which class(es) they will sit in. These parents have the right to know the teacher spending so much time with their children isn't doped up.
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Number of posts : 6556

https://gazzfriends.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next