WV Forum for News, Politics, and Sports
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

8 Things We Can Do To Reform Health Care

5 posters

Go down

8 Things We Can Do To Reform Health Care Empty 8 Things We Can Do To Reform Health Care

Post by Stephanie Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:46 am

Eight things we can do to improve health care without adding to the deficit.

• Remove the legal obstacles that slow the creation of high-deductible health insurance plans and health savings accounts (HSAs). The combination of high-deductible health insurance and HSAs is one solution that could solve many of our health-care problems. For example, Whole Foods Market pays 100% of the premiums for all our team members who work 30 hours or more per week (about 89% of all team members) for our high-deductible health-insurance plan. We also provide up to $1,800 per year in additional health-care dollars through deposits into employees' Personal Wellness Accounts to spend as they choose on their own health and wellness.

Money not spent in one year rolls over to the next and grows over time. Our team members therefore spend their own health-care dollars until the annual deductible is covered (about $2,500) and the insurance plan kicks in. This creates incentives to spend the first $2,500 more carefully. Our plan's costs are much lower than typical health insurance, while providing a very high degree of worker satisfaction.

• Equalize the tax laws so that employer-provided health insurance and individually owned health insurance have the same tax benefits. Now employer health insurance benefits are fully tax deductible, but individual health insurance is not. This is unfair.

• Repeal all state laws which prevent insurance companies from competing across state lines. We should all have the legal right to purchase health insurance from any insurance company in any state and we should be able use that insurance wherever we live. Health insurance should be portable.

• Repeal government mandates regarding what insurance companies must cover. These mandates have increased the cost of health insurance by billions of dollars. What is insured and what is not insured should be determined by individual customer preferences and not through special-interest lobbying.

• Enact tort reform to end the ruinous lawsuits that force doctors to pay insurance costs of hundreds of thousands of dollars per year. These costs are passed back to us through much higher prices for health care.

• Make costs transparent so that consumers understand what health-care treatments cost. How many people know the total cost of their last doctor's visit and how that total breaks down? What other goods or services do we buy without knowing how much they will cost us?

• Enact Medicare reform. We need to face up to the actuarial fact that Medicare is heading towards bankruptcy and enact reforms that create greater patient empowerment, choice and responsibility.

• Finally, revise tax forms to make it easier for individuals to make a voluntary, tax-deductible donation to help the millions of people who have no insurance and aren't covered by Medicare, Medicaid or the State Children's Health Insurance Program.
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Number of posts : 6556
Registration date : 2007-12-28

https://gazzfriends.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

8 Things We Can Do To Reform Health Care Empty Re: 8 Things We Can Do To Reform Health Care

Post by SamCogar Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:56 pm

#9 - get government out of healthcare if they can't manage what they control.

SamCogar

Number of posts : 6238

Back to top Go down

8 Things We Can Do To Reform Health Care Empty Re: 8 Things We Can Do To Reform Health Care

Post by sodbuster Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:26 pm

"Repeal government mandates regarding what insurance companies must cover. These mandates have increased the cost of health insurance by billions of dollars..."

But Steph isn't that a big part of the problem now?

Insurance companies cherry picking the low risk pool and leaving those with pre-existing conditions, etc to "wither on the vine"?

sodbuster

Number of posts : 1890
Registration date : 2008-09-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephanie Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:07 pm

Not at all. You're speaking of something different. Pre-existing conditions are one thing, government mandates regarding what must be covered are another.

I'd like to point out one of my most desired reforms did not make this list. That is ending the ban on importing US manufactured drugs from other countries where they cost less. Obama has already promised the drug companies he will do no such thing and that he won't seek to negotiate prices for Medicare and that's just BS. It's unethical to demand Americans pay more for American drugs developed and manufactured here than Canadians or Mexicans do.
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sodbuster Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:31 pm

What do you think about newer "experimental" drugs such as Medical marijuana?

(actually lots of people say medical marijuana has been tried and proven so much it should not be called "experimental" anymore.)

There are literally thousands of patients undergoing treatment who would so much appreciate some relief from the nausea associated with chemo.

sodbuster

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephanie Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:00 pm

That's just more proof the government doesn't belong in the medical business. Doctors know marijuana is effective at alleviating the side effects of chemo and the debilitating effects of diseases like MS but the federal government continues to ban it. By what authority?

RI passed medical marijuana legislation a few years ago, thank goodnes. Now our friend with MS doesn't have to worry about RI law enforcement busting down his door and confiscating his home, but he and his family are not safe from the feds. That's just so wrong. He NEEDS marijuana. It not only eases his pain and increases his mobility, it eases the nausea he suffers from the endless rounds of chemotherapy he's endured the past 3.5 years. He gets chemo for a week, then 6 weeks off and that schedule has allowed him to walk again.
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sodbuster Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:17 pm

Well Steph maybe we can work togethor on something. Here in WV.

Were you involved in getting it pased in RI?

sodbuster

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephanie Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:25 pm

No, because I was pregnant a lot. lol However, I'm too old for that and Loyd is getting older.........I could here. We'd have to find some at least a couple of friendly delegates and senators to do it. I'll put out feelers to the ones I have contact with.
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sodbuster Sat Aug 15, 2009 12:03 am

Well what form of legislation would you think best?

Should it be modelled after Ca. or RI?

I've been told a permit is easy to get in Ca.

A permit to grow your own, I mean.

sodbuster

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephanie Sat Aug 15, 2009 12:08 am

I don't know, but I'll look into it. Smile
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephanie Sat Aug 15, 2009 12:53 am

http://www.myspace.com/wvmedicalprogram

http://www.norml.org/index.cfm?Group_ID=3448

http://www.mpp.org/states/west-virginia/
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sodbuster Sat Aug 15, 2009 1:43 am

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3032118/ns/technology_and_science

Ironic, heh?

sodbuster

Back to top Go down

Post by ohio county Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:15 am

Insurance companies cherry picking the low risk pool and leaving those with pre-existing conditions, etc to "wither on the vine"?

You're talking about two different problems here. If there is any call for government interference in health care it may be to provide options for those who have none due to health conditions that render them uninsurable under most current plans. That's a separate philosophical issue. What Stephanie's proposal has to do with is the fact that over-bearing state health commissions often require non-health related insurance coverage like cosmetic surgery, problems with child-bearing (or child-conceiving), and mental health options that are not part of a basic health care plan.

She's showing real reforms that can be undertaken to save costs in health care. You insist on looking at it in the current mode: a false choice where single-payer or government-run health care is the sole choice. That is why, like Obama, you find it propitious to paint the insurance companies as pernicious greed mongers. It isn't that way and we should force Obama to look at it that way. It is becoming increasingly obvious that he will not be able to pull this off. Thank goodness!

I'm not criticizing you (sodbuster). I'm just saying that Stephanie's suggestion has nothing to do with allowing insurance companies to cherry-pick their clients.
ohio county
ohio county

Number of posts : 3207

Back to top Go down

Post by SamCogar Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:21 am

Stephanie wrote:That's just more proof the government doesn't belong in the medical business. Doctors know marijuana is effective at alleviating the side effects of chemo and the debilitating effects of diseases like MS but the federal government continues to ban it. By what authority?

Now just why in the world would the Pharmacutical Companies want marijuana legalized?

Are you all silly, or what?

8 Things We Can Do To Reform Health Care 33948 8 Things We Can Do To Reform Health Care 33948

SamCogar

Back to top Go down

Post by SamCogar Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:53 am

Obama and the Democrats are WEAZELWORDING the public about the “true cost of healthcare for Americans”.

They are claiming it is something like $6,300 per US citizen and only $3,600 for UK citizen.

But adding up the total expenditure on health care in the US and dividing it by the total population is FUBAR.

That’s not a true cost if one adds in all the BILLION$ IN graft, fraud and theft paid for by the Government, the BILLION$ in inflated costs of vendor supplied goods and services paid for by the patients and the Government, the BILLION$ in inflated costs of prescription drugs paid for by the patients and the Government and the BILLION$ paid for treatment and services for illegal aliens paid for by the Government.

SUBTRACT all that out and the actual cost of healthcare for the US citizens would be half of what they claim.

lol! lol! lol! lol!

SamCogar

Back to top Go down

Post by SamCogar Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:57 am

PS: If the Canadians had to pay the same price for their meds as the Americans do, ....... how much do ya suppose that would increase their per patient costs?

SamCogar

Back to top Go down

Post by sodbuster Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:38 am

Well Sam I would say the pharmaceutical industry feels the same way about medical marijuana as the alcoholic beverage industry does toward recreational marijuana.

sodbuster

Back to top Go down

Post by ohio county Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:27 pm

And yet the various state insurance commissions still require a myriad of medical procedures which are unique to each state and cost consumers huge amounts of money. And yet we're still talking about single payer issues as if they had any bearing on the cost of medical insurance.
ohio county
ohio county

Number of posts : 3207

Back to top Go down

Post by SamCogar Sun Aug 16, 2009 3:56 am

Beware of partisan Democrats when they are in "Bait n' Switch Mode" with big $ in their eyes.

Iffen they get their way, youse gonna need ...... lol!

8 Things We Can Do To Reform Health Care 33948

SamCogar

Back to top Go down

Post by Cato Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:34 pm

Stephanie wrote:Not at all. You're speaking of something different. Pre-existing conditions are one thing, government mandates regarding what must be covered are another.

I'd like to point out one of my most desired reforms did not make this list. That is ending the ban on importing US manufactured drugs from other countries where they cost less. Obama has already promised the drug companies he will do no such thing and that he won't seek to negotiate prices for Medicare and that's just BS. It's unethical to demand Americans pay more for American drugs developed and manufactured here than Canadians or Mexicans do.

I found out something recently that boggled my mine. I have a friend who is a doctor of internal medicane. We were discussing some things that we felt needed changed. I asked about the FDA approval process and he informed me that the FDA does not consider over seas research. He pointed out that Crestor, a colesteral drug, had been on the market in Europe for nearly 20 years before it passed the FDA approval process here. Here is a drug that has been tested on human beings for 20 years and yet the FDA takes it through the approval process adding much to the cost, whihc in the end is passed to the consumer.

Cato

Number of posts : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephanie Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:55 pm

Isn't it interesting that so many of the power brokers want us to model our entire health care industry on over seas models, yet the FDA won't even look at foreign research before approving a drug?
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Cato Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:17 am

Stephanie wrote:Isn't it interesting that so many of the power brokers want us to model our entire health care industry on over seas models, yet the FDA won't even look at foreign research before approving a drug?

To say the least it is. In the case of Crestor 20 years of data exists and yet the FDA won't approve the drug until they do they rebuild the wheel. Guess who pays the bill for this arrogance, the consumer.

Cato

Number of posts : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down