WV Forum for News, Politics, and Sports
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Coyote + wolf = new breed of predator

2 posters

Go down

Coyote + wolf = new breed of predator Empty Coyote + wolf = new breed of predator

Post by SamCogar Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:14 am

Coyote + wolf = new breed of predator Scienc10
‘Coywolf’ hybrids fill open evolutionary niche in northeast U.S.

New DNA evidence reveals that coyotes have bred with wolves in the northeastern United States, turning mice-eating coyotes into much larger animals with a hunger for big prey, such as deer.

The resulting "coywolves" may, however, benefit ecosystems, since they appear to be filling niches once occupied by wolves that were eradicated by humans.

"We are finding repeatedly that hybridization is more common than we used to think," lead author Roland Kays told Discovery News.

Coywolves aren't too hard to pick out from pure coyotes.

"They are larger, both in terms of body size and skull dimension," Kays explained. "Their skulls are especially wide compared with their length."

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32976657/ns/technology_and_science-science/

And for almost 40 years I have been calling them Coydogs so they really aren’t such a “new breed of predator”. The fact is, those educated and degreed Razz Razz State Biologists finally had to fess up to and publicly admit to “the truth” of what dummies like me have been telling them for years.

There are Coywolves here in Braxton County and have been for 20+- years. Most everyone wouldn't believe me when I told them so, probably because I was calling them Coydogs. The 1st one I seen was a dead one, along side I-79 between Flatwoods and Burnsville. It had been killed by a vehicle.

Here is a picture of one I shot in Upstate New York, at a range of about 400 yards, probably in the early 1970’s. I shot another one that was even larger than that one. It probably weighed close to 80 pounds. A big ole male.

Coyote + wolf = new breed of predator Coywol10

Coyote + wolf = new breed of predator 197570 Coyote + wolf = new breed of predator 197570 Coyote + wolf = new breed of predator 197570

SamCogar

Number of posts : 6238
Registration date : 2007-12-28

Back to top Go down

Coyote + wolf = new breed of predator Empty Re: Coyote + wolf = new breed of predator

Post by Stephanie Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:44 pm

I'm sure I'm going to get hollered at but........

Why would you shoot such a beautiful animal, Sam?
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Number of posts : 6556

https://gazzfriends.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Coyote + wolf = new breed of predator Empty Re: Coyote + wolf = new breed of predator

Post by SamCogar Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:36 pm

Because I had about 25 head of beef cattle at the time, ..... and spring birthing was only a couple months away.

And my chickens were not too safe with hawks, foxes or coywolves in the neighborhood.

And if there had been any cats around the farm they would have been in big trouble, but since I hate cats ....... that would havee been fine with me.

Coyote + wolf = new breed of predator 46059 Coyote + wolf = new breed of predator 46059 Coyote + wolf = new breed of predator 46059

SamCogar

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephanie Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:46 pm

You're never coming to my house.

I have my Sylvester Kitty, who turned 18 in August. I also have my little Alley Cat who was dumped on my property back in June. She's a baby and very sweet and pretty.

I don't understand why some people dislike cats. They're my favorite critter on the planet.
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by SamCogar Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:00 pm

the gal who bought my farm loves cats ....... but hates coywolves.

one just about killed her cat of 12 or 14 years and it was months before it recuperated enough to mosy around.

I pretty sure she gave her husband orders, ..... "Shoot to Kill".

SamCogar

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephanie Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:24 pm

I'm far more afraid of the coydogs/coywolves/coyote for my dogs, Belle & Scooby. For my cats I fear hawks and ya can't shoot a hawk, Sammy.
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by SamCogar Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:55 am

Stephanie wrote: For my cats I fear hawks and ya can't shoot a hawk, Sammy.

You might have that backward, the hawk should maybe be fearing your cat.

SamCogar

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephanie Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:28 am

No way. I have seen red tail hawks carry off dogs. I have had a golden eagle in the field behind my house. I'm thinking that bird could kill me if it gave it a shot. Hawks are killing machines. My kitties are pampered little fur balls.
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by SamCogar Sat Sep 26, 2009 4:40 am

A golden eagle, now I've seen them in Alaska and British Columbia, but never in WV. They are big dudes.

It has a wingspan averaging over 2 m (7 ft) and up to 1 m (3 ft) in body length

SamCogar

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down