WV Forum for News, Politics, and Sports
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

James A. White: Too many students lack basics

3 posters

Go down

James A. White: Too many students lack basics Empty James A. White: Too many students lack basics

Post by SamCogar Sun Dec 27, 2009 11:08 am

We have also just had exam time, however, ………………..

This year's problem required students to multiply without calculators, $150,000 by 0.6 by 0.21). While I have an international student who could name all of those people, who could do the elementary arithmetic, and who could earn an A on a basic multiple-choice exam about American government, none of our future teachers could name those people or earn an A. Most could not calculate the taxes.

Most troubling: I ran into a student who left our teacher education program in part because one of his instructors told the class that there were three branches of government: the legislative, the executive, and the House of Representatives. His efforts to correct the misinformation in class were unsuccessful.

http://www.wvgazette.com/Opinion/OpEdCommentaries/200912250256

And those were enrolled College students, ...... not Middle School or High School students.

study study lol!

SamCogar

Number of posts : 6238
Registration date : 2007-12-28

Back to top Go down

James A. White: Too many students lack basics Empty Re: James A. White: Too many students lack basics

Post by Aaron Sun Dec 27, 2009 11:25 am

That is why 71% of our students are required to take a remedial math class, 55% take remedial english courses right on down to 12% requiring remedial study habits upon entering college.

Yet when someone points out that the WV education system is broke, one of the first responses by teachers revolves around pay.

Thankfully mine are out and if I have anything to do with it, my grandchildren will never go to public schools.
Aaron
Aaron

Number of posts : 9841

Back to top Go down

James A. White: Too many students lack basics Empty Re: James A. White: Too many students lack basics

Post by Stephanie Sun Dec 27, 2009 3:32 pm

Aaron,

Sadly, the problem isn't unique to WV. Our education system is broken. The very first thing I would do if I had my way would be to end compulsory education.
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Number of posts : 6556

https://gazzfriends.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Sun Dec 27, 2009 4:23 pm

Years ago I disagreed with you. I was wrong. I would do the same now. Perhaps if we didn't put so much of our resources playing babysitter for kids who don't want to learn, we could teach the ones that do.
Aaron
Aaron

Number of posts : 9841

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down