WV Forum for News, Politics, and Sports
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I thought most mothers knew this already.

Go down

I thought most mothers knew this already. Empty I thought most mothers knew this already.

Post by SamCogar Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:33 am

Our personalities may be set as early as 1st grade

Our personalities stay pretty much the same throughout our lives, from our early childhood years to after we're over the hill, according to a new study.

The results show personality traits observed in children as young as first graders are a strong predictor of adult behavior.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/38599828/ns/health-behavior/

But now here are 20 things that justa might getcha mumbling to yourself, to wit:

10 Things You Didn't Know About the Brain

#1 - Women aren't from Venus after all

Popular culture tells us that women and men's brains are just different. It's true that male and female hormones affect brain development differently, and imaging studies have found brain differences in the ways women and men feel pain, make social decisions and cope with stress. The extent to which these differences are genetic versus shaped by experience -- the old nature-versus-nurture debate -- is unknown.

But for the most part, male and female brains (and brainpower) are similar. A 2005 American Psychologist analysis of research on gender differences found that in 78 percent of gender differences reported in other studies, the effect of gender on the behavior was in the small or close-to-zero range. And recent studies have debunked myths about the genders' divergent abilities. A study published in the January 2010 Psychological Bulletin looked at almost half a million boys and girls from 69 countries and found no overall gap in math ability. Focusing on our differences may make for catchy book titles, but in neuroscience, nothing is ever that simple.

And 9 more here – http://www.livescience.com/health/brain-facts-1op10-100417-1.html

And the other 10 gooderns.

Top 10 Controversial Psychiatric Disorders

#10 - Hysteria

In the Victorian era, hysteria was a catch-all diagnosis for women in distress. The symptoms were vague (discontentment, weakness, outbursts of emotion, nerves) and the history sexist (Plato blamed the wanderings of an "unfruitful" uterus).

The treatment for hysteria? "Hysterical paroxysm," also known as orgasm. Physicians would massage their patients' genitals either manually or with a vibrator, a task they found tedious but surprisingly uncontroversial. More contentious was the practice of putting "hysterical" women on bed rest or demanding that they not work or socialize, a treatment that often worsened anxiety or depression.

And 9 more here – http://www.livescience.com/health/top10-Psychiatric-Disorders-Controversial-1.html

#9 Penis Envy
#8 Narcissistic Personality Disorder
#7 Dissociative Identity Disorder
#6 Adult ADHD
#5 Childhood bipolar disorder
#4 Asperger's Disorder
#3 Homosexuality
#2 Sex Addiction
#1 Gender Identity Disorder/Gender Incongruence

Iffen you think you got a problem or someone else thinks you got a problem. ...... a Psychobabbler has a name for it ....... but they don't all agree on anything else about it.

I thought most mothers knew this already. 197570 I thought most mothers knew this already. 197570 I thought most mothers knew this already. 197570 I thought most mothers knew this already. 197570

SamCogar

Number of posts : 6238
Registration date : 2007-12-28

Back to top Go down