WV Forum for News, Politics, and Sports
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Yes, we have been in Afghanistan too long...

3 posters

Go down

Yes, we have been in Afghanistan too long... Empty Yes, we have been in Afghanistan too long...

Post by Aaron Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:28 am

...at least in my opinion.

"Things haven't changed there for 1,000 years," Manchin said. "After 10 years, have we achieved any improvements in literacy and in job training so they can defend themselves? If it hasn't occurred in 10 years, when will it happen?

"How do we play a support role? How do we get a government into a position to take care of themselves?" Manchin asked. "I am not sure we have the full commitment in those countries [to fight terrorism]. The amount of money and the human toll it is taking should be evaluated."

Today, Manchin said, "there is not one mile of railroad in Afghanistan. They are making some efforts to put some roads and infrastructure in one of the most poverty stricken countries I have ever been in.

"They have beautiful little kids and families. But 80 percent of the people cannot read or write. Most of the police force cannot read or write. It is a challenge. We have to re-evaluate our position there."

Manchin noted the U.S. is spending $120 billion this year in Afghanistan and is about to make some very severe budget cuts here at home.

"When you look at all the financial challenges we have as a nation, are we really moving down the right path? How much more sacrifice from the United States will be needed?"

With growing unrest in Egypt, Libya, Tunisia and other countries, Manchin added, our country must develop a stronger energy policy to become independent of foreign oil.

"We need to convert coal to liquids, use our natural gas and develop wind, solar, hydro and nuclear power. We need to be independent of foreign oil," he said.

Source

It's as if he's repeating my comments and I'm not even getting paid for it. Perhaps I should have ran for the Senate.
Aaron
Aaron

Number of posts : 9841
Registration date : 2007-12-28

Back to top Go down

Yes, we have been in Afghanistan too long... Empty Re: Yes, we have been in Afghanistan too long...

Post by Stephanie Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:43 am

I can't even get you to run for the House of Delegates. You should run for Delegate. We'd have to work on your grammar a bit, though....LOL
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Number of posts : 6556

https://gazzfriends.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Yes, we have been in Afghanistan too long... Empty Re: Yes, we have been in Afghanistan too long...

Post by Cato Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:09 am

Saying it one thing and meaning it is another. Like all politicians, spin is the norm.

Yes, what he said is true, just as what he originally said about the healthcare law was true. However, when push came to shove his vote was opposite what he had said.

If you read between the lines, Mr. Manchin is saying that government should be working to make the nation less dependent on foreign oil, the government central planning should be providing these things. The fact of the matter is, government central planning is what got us in this mess to begin with.

Here is what Mr. Manchin should have said.

The true and ligitimate purpose of the US government is to protect the liberty of the citizens of the United States. The US Government has no responsibility beyond that goal. It has not responsibility to any other nation or people.

We have been in Afganistan since 2001 and have accomplished nothing. The taliban still exists and bin Laden still lives. The people of Afganistan have to decide for themselves if they want to live under the oppression of these despots or if they desire liberty. We cannot make the decision for them, neither can we win their liberty. They have to do both on their own.

It is time to remove ourselves from Afganistan and allow the people of that nation to determine their own destiny. Additionally, it is time the United States end its role as the world's enforcer.

The time has also come to limit governmental influance in the United States to what is allowed by the US Constitution. The a number of founders of this nation understood the dangers of a centralized and powerful federal government. The US Constitution contined limits and listed the powers of the Federal Government. We need to immediately get back to that level of government.

It is time to turn the full force of the private sector loose on the problems we face in this nation. History has taught us that it is not government that makes greatness, it is the inventiveness and resoursefullness of the a nation's citzenry that achieves greatness. The United States stands as a shining example of what allowing a people to determine their own destiny and keep the fruit of their labors can achieve.

However, like all politicans all Manchin did was use some flowery words and say nothing.

Cato

Number of posts : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:38 am

Stephanie wrote:I can't even get you to run for the House of Delegates. You should run for Delegate. We'd have to work on your grammar a bit, though....LOL

I would most definately need and editor. Have no fear, I know just the right person. If I ever run.
Aaron
Aaron

Number of posts : 9841

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down