WV Forum for News, Politics, and Sports
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bill Clinton Tirade Stuns Superdelegates

+2
Keli
Stephanie
6 posters

Go down

Bill Clinton Tirade Stuns Superdelegates Empty Bill Clinton Tirade Stuns Superdelegates

Post by Stephanie Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:47 pm

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2008/04/02/BAVNVU2PJ.DTL&type=printable

The Bill Clinton who met privately with California's superdelegates at last weekend's state convention was a far cry from the congenial former president who afterward publicly urged fellow Democrats to "chill out" over the race between his wife, Hillary Rodham Clinton, and Barack Obama.

In fact, before his speech Clinton had one of his famous meltdowns Sunday, blasting away at former presidential contender Bill Richardson for having endorsed Obama, the media and the entire nomination process.

"It was one of the worst political meetings I have ever attended," one superdelegate said.

According to those at the meeting, Clinton - who flew in from Chicago with bags under his eyes - was classic old Bill at first, charming and making small talk with the 15 or so delegates who gathered in a room behind the convention stage.

But as the group moved together for the perfunctory photo, Rachel Binah, a former Richardson delegate who now supports Hillary Clinton, told Bill how "sorry" she was to have heard former Clinton campaign manager James Carville call Richardson a "Judas" for backing Obama.

It was as if someone pulled the pin from a grenade.

"Five times to my face (Richardson) said that he would never do that," a red-faced, finger-pointing Clinton erupted.

The former president then went on a tirade that ran from the media's unfair treatment of Hillary to questions about the fairness of the votes in state caucuses that voted for Obama. It ended with him asking delegates to imagine what the reaction would be if Obama was trailing by just 1 percent and people were telling him to drop out.

"It was very, very intense," said one attendee. "Not at all like the Bill of earlier campaigns."

When he finally wound down, Bill was asked what message he wanted the delegates to take away from the meeting.

At that point, a much calmer Clinton outlined his message of party unity.

"It was kind of strange later when he took the stage and told everyone to 'chill out,' " one delegate told us.

"We couldn't help but think he was also talking to himself."

When delegate Binah - still stunned from her encounter with Clinton - got home to Little River (Mendocino County) later in the day - there was a phone message waiting for her from State Party Chairman Art Torres, telling her the former president wanted him to apologize to her on his behalf for what happened.

Still, word of Clinton's blast shot all the way back to the New Mexico state Capitol, where Richardson spokesman Pahl Shipley reiterated Tuesday that his boss had never "promised or guaranteed" Bill and Hillary his endorsement.
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Number of posts : 6556
Registration date : 2007-12-28

https://gazzfriends.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Bill Clinton Tirade Stuns Superdelegates Empty Re: Bill Clinton Tirade Stuns Superdelegates

Post by Keli Wed Apr 02, 2008 4:52 pm

Those delegates are just lucky that they did not commit Arkan-suicide. There are bodies all around the Clintons.
Keli
Keli

Number of posts : 3608
Location : Zarr Chasm, WV--between Flotsam and Belch on the Cheat River

Back to top Go down

Bill Clinton Tirade Stuns Superdelegates Empty Re: Bill Clinton Tirade Stuns Superdelegates

Post by Stephanie Wed Apr 02, 2008 11:21 pm

Bill Richardson better watch his back, eh?
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by SamCogar Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:02 am

I don't think Slick Willy erupted in one of his tirades just because Richardson "jumped" off of Hillary's Jolly Roger.

Betcha Slick Willy isa thinking ....... "We ain't gonna have no friends left in Congress even if she does get elected and I will hafta bear the brunt of her fury."

SamCogar

Number of posts : 6238

Back to top Go down

Post by shermangeneral Sun Apr 06, 2008 8:19 am

Well you do have candid moments when it would be nice to be able to speak your mind without everything you say being broadcast around the world.

I would be upset if someone told me repeatedly face to face they were going to do one thing and then did another.

Wouldn't you?

Also I was disappointed that Richardson would make public Hillary's personal conversation with him re Obama's electability.

Richardson is the one who looks bad to me in this.

shermangeneral

Number of posts : 1347
Registration date : 2007-12-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:16 am

Did Richardson ever look good to you Sherm?

I've said it before. Richardson wasn't campaigning for President, he was campaigning for a position in the winners Presidency. That's why he was so nice in all the earlier debates, trying to get everyone to get along and not go negative. He didn't want to upset anyone. It's also why he held his endorsement until he figured there was a sure fired winner. Seems pretty slimy to me.
Aaron
Aaron

Number of posts : 9841

Back to top Go down

Post by ziggy Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:42 am

shermangeneral wrote:I would be upset if someone told me repeatedly face to face they were going to do one thing and then did another.

What about the inherent right of one to change one's mind, Sherm? Surely a U.S. senator who voted for the Iraq war, and 5 years later recanted and admitted that it was a bad vote would understand that.

At least with Richardson no permanent harm was done. "All is fair in love and politics". But with the Iraq war, incalculable harm has been done for an incalculable amount of time. Hillary's hands are just as dirty as Bush's- just not quite as bloody.

Richardson decided to do what he thought was the right thing- political loyalties be hanged. We need more people willing to do that.
ziggy
ziggy

Number of posts : 5731

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:50 am

ziggy wrote:
Richardson decided to do what he thought was the right thing- political loyalties be hanged. We need more people willing to do that.

If Bill Richardson, who played everyone waiting on a horse to take what calculated was an insurmountable lead so he could parlay it into a Sec State or VP position is what this country needs, before giving his endorsement, I feel sorry for us.

I see a great many things from the democratic side of this election. Honor is not one of them. The only candidate that possessed any was Joe Biden and he was laughed at. No wonder the democrats are falling apart.
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephanie Sun Apr 06, 2008 10:13 am

shermangeneral wrote:Well you do have candid moments when it would be nice to be able to speak your mind without everything you say being broadcast around the world.

I would be upset if someone told me repeatedly face to face they were going to do one thing and then did another.

Wouldn't you?

Also I was disappointed that Richardson would make public Hillary's personal conversation with him re Obama's electability.

Richardson is the one who looks bad to me in this.

Oh jeez, Sherm. You're kidding me, right?

This isn't just some guy. This is former President Bill Clinton who has spent his entire life longing to be in the public eye. He puts himself in that position and he's amassed quite a bit of personal wealth doing it.

He wanted to be Governor, he wanted to be President, and he wants to make a ton of money selling books and giving speeches. If he wants a quiet life of anonymity, he needs to alter his behavior. He isn't some babe in the woods who doesn't know how things work.

Furthermore, it really galls me that he obviously believes because he gave Richardson a high-level political appointment Richardson should forever be in his debt. The Clintons seem to believe that Richardson owes them this endorsement. What Richardson owed Clinton was hard work and diligence during his tenure in the Clinton administration.
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by shermangeneral Sun Apr 06, 2008 10:38 am

Well zig, Steph, Aaron, et al I did not say and do not believe Richardson can't change his mind.

I myself have changed my mind.

I said he should not have broadcast Hillary's private conversation she had when she was trying to convince him.

Everyone is criticizing her now for saying Obama would be unelectable.

I certainly did not say Richardson owed Clinton his endorsement.

That part does not bother me.

However his spilling his guts about a personal appeal does.

Last edited by shermangeneral on Sun Apr 06, 2008 2:54 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : spelling, clarification)

shermangeneral

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Sun Apr 06, 2008 2:36 pm

I don't have a problem with him changing his mind sherm because I don't think he ever had it made up to begin with. I see no honor in the man.
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by shermangeneral Sun Apr 06, 2008 2:58 pm

This is getting scary Aaron. We agree again.

I doubt he will get a position if Hillary wins. LOL Very Happy

shermangeneral

Back to top Go down

Post by SamCogar Sun Apr 06, 2008 3:15 pm

Betcha Sandy Burglar will endorse Hillary.

SamCogar

Back to top Go down

Post by shermangeneral Sun Apr 06, 2008 4:28 pm

Why do you say that, Sam?

shermangeneral

Back to top Go down

Post by SamCogar Mon Apr 07, 2008 5:57 am

shermangeneral wrote:Why do you say that, Sam?

Well "DUH", because of his "stealing for Billy".

Neither McCain nor Obama would Pardon him, reinstate his Security Clearance and Appoint him to a Cabinet level or Agency head position.

Hillary would do that ya know.

She would have to, ......... ya know. Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz

SamCogar

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down