WV Forum for News, Politics, and Sports
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mom n' Pop Pharmacies now in really big trouble.

+2
Stephanie
SamCogar
6 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Mom n' Pop Pharmacies now in really big trouble. Empty Mom n' Pop Pharmacies now in really big trouble.

Post by SamCogar Tue May 06, 2008 6:07 am

Wal-Mart Stores said Monday it will offer 90-day prescriptions of some generics for $10, add several women's medications at a discount and lower the prices of more than 1,000 over-the-counter medications to $4 or less.

The move marks the third phase of $4 prescription program, which began in 2006 and has saved customers more than $1 billion, Wal-Mart said.

With the expansion, the company began filling prescriptions Monday for up to 350 generic medications at $10 for a 90-day supply at Wal-Mart, Neighborhood Market and Sam's Club pharmacies in the U.S.

In addition, the company will add several women's medications to its list of prescriptions available for $9, including drugs to treat breast cancer and hormone deficiency.

For instance, alendronate, the generic version of osteoporosis medication Fosamax, will be added to the list. Company pharmacies will fill 30-day prescriptions of alendronate for $9 and a 90-day supply for $24 at a comparison of $54 and $102, respectively, that women previously paid for the same amounts, the company said.

Wal-Mart also will lower the prices of more than 1,000 over-the-counter medications to $4 or less in its pharmacies, company officials said. The over-the-counter medication price rollbacks represent about one-third of the retailer's over-the-counter medicines. Included in the program are generic versions of versions of Zantac, Pepcid and Claritin.

Since 2006, Wal-Mart's $4 generic drug program has expanded to every state, except North Dakota, where Wal-Mart has no in-store pharmacies. And many company competitors have followed the retailer's lead.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,354186,00.html

SamCogar

Number of posts : 6238
Registration date : 2007-12-28

Back to top Go down

Mom n' Pop Pharmacies now in really big trouble. Empty Re: Mom n' Pop Pharmacies now in really big trouble.

Post by Stephanie Tue May 06, 2008 7:03 am

What's really sad is, they'll only keep the prices that low until they force most of their competitors out of business.
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Number of posts : 6556

https://gazzfriends.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Mom n' Pop Pharmacies now in really big trouble. Empty Re: Mom n' Pop Pharmacies now in really big trouble.

Post by ohio county Tue May 06, 2008 7:49 am

Or, like Kroger's, more pharmacies will choose to compete with them and prices will come down across the board...
ohio county
ohio county

Number of posts : 3207

Back to top Go down

Post by SamCogar Tue May 06, 2008 8:56 am

ohio county wrote:Or, like Kroger's, more pharmacies will choose to compete with them and prices will come down across the board...

You got that right, Jimmy.

I'd say it was a "given", ........ especially over at Weston.

There are great big Rite Aide and QVC Pharmacies right across a side street from each other on Rt. 33 there in Weston proper. On out Rt. 33 bout 2 miles, .... past I-79, ...... Krogers is on the right and WalMart is on the left.

That's four (4) pharmacies within 2 miles of each other.

And when one is talking "savings" such as this:

30-day prescriptions of alendronate for $9 and a 90-day supply for $24 at a comparison of $54 and $102, respectively,

The other three (3) pharmacies will adjust ........ or lose out.

One would walk 2 miles ....... to save $41 or $78, ..... right. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

SamCogar

Back to top Go down

Post by ohio county Tue May 06, 2008 9:16 am

I stopped at the Wal-Mart east of Weston the other day, sam. I had some business at Big Otter down in Clay County and was down and back up I-79 for the first time in years. Wal-Mart might end up being good for competition. I already believe Wal-Mart is good for consumers.
ohio county
ohio county

Back to top Go down

Post by SamCogar Tue May 06, 2008 12:44 pm

Well geeeze, that means you went right through the middle of the big city of Burnsville. If you ever do it again, you are welcome to stop by, I'd sure like to meet you.

Jim, if that's the 1st time in years then there has been lots of new construction along side I-79 since then, especially at Fairmont and Bridgeport.

If Fairmont gets any more Exits ...... they will have as many as the rest of I-79 added together. Laughing Laughing Laughing

And yes, Wal-Mart is good for consumers. If you had stopped at the one at Bridgeport you would know how good they are. Its tough to find a parking spot there ...... any hour of the day.

The wife gets a "WallyWorld" attack at least once every 8 days, minimum. Sometimes she drive another 10 miles to the "SuperWallyWorld" at Buckhannon.

cheers

SamCogar

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephanie Tue May 06, 2008 2:29 pm

I don't believe WalMart is good for consumers. They force the smaller stores under. Krogers & RiteAid can afford to compete. A Mom & Pop can't....as Sam accurately pointed out they pay higher prices from their distributors.
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephanie Tue May 06, 2008 2:39 pm

Here's a little Wallie World FYI.....Did you know, that some companies manufacture goods "especially for Walmart". Beware whenever you see such a label on a product.

What they do is they manufacture inferior versions of trash cans and blenders etc in order to keep prices low. Walmart sells Rubbermaid products that are not the same as the Rubbermaid you buy from other stores. I'm not sure the Rubbermaid products are labled that way, but that's what they do.
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ohio county Tue May 06, 2008 3:12 pm

I'm not so sure about that. Of course, many downtowns have tumbleweeds bobbing down the street because the strip malls are building on the periphery of the city. Charleston was lucky to be able to develop all that crummy real estate into the mall downtown. Plus Charleston has all those government buildings. So, yes, small stores are going under. I would dispute to what degree that was caused by Wal-Mart. And, sure, Wal-Mart demands huge volume discounts. But thirty years ago they were just a hokey little department store in Mule Droppings, Arkansas. There was nothing holding back any dismal little dime store from going global.
ohio county
ohio county

Back to top Go down

Post by ohio county Tue May 06, 2008 3:16 pm

Why do I need a first-rate trash can? I'm only going to put trash in it.

I don't believe we're arguing so much as we're coming from slightly different angles. Yes, Wal-Mart is big enough to demand that Budweiser invent the 30 pack. Why? Because they can, I guess. Wal-Mart is a cultural phenomenon that has done as much to hurt us as it has to help us. You can always find a deal there.
ohio county
ohio county

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephanie Tue May 06, 2008 3:18 pm

They have been very successful because they were first. That doesn't make what they have done "right".

In areas where they have successfully annhilated the competition, their prices aren't so great any more. They wipe out so many sorts of businesses, it's really striking.......apparel stores, bakeries, pharmacies, hardware stores, florists, you name it......they are attempting to drive them all to extinction.
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephanie Tue May 06, 2008 3:29 pm

ohio county wrote:I'm not so sure about that. Of course, many downtowns have tumbleweeds bobbing down the street because the strip malls are building on the periphery of the city. Charleston was lucky to be able to develop all that crummy real estate into the mall downtown. Plus Charleston has all those government buildings. So, yes, small stores are going under. I would dispute to what degree that was caused by Wal-Mart. And, sure, Wal-Mart demands huge volume discounts. But thirty years ago they were just a hokey little department store in Mule Droppings, Arkansas. There was nothing holding back any dismal little dime store from going global.

Well I suppose you can replace your cheapo Walmart version much more frequently. You're not really saving money in the long run, and it's bad for the environment.

The trashcan isn't such a big deal to you because it is a lower priced item to begin with. However, when manufacturers of higher end goods like Kitchen Aid and Hoover start doing the same thing it's a sort of a scam and it hurts consumers.

If you see a Hoover Wind Tunnel vac that retails for $350 in Sears & JC Penny etc....and then you look in Walmart and you see the same model for $275 you might purchase that cheaper appliance thinking you're getting a bargain. The problem is if it is manufactured to a lower quality standard for Walmart is really isn't a bargain. It won't perform or hold up as well.

I really think these manufacturers are hurting themselves as much as anyone because most consumers aren't aware this is what is going on so they just think that all Hoover and all Rubbermaid products are no longer the quality they expect. In many cases, that isn't true...it's just the cheapo production lines they run for Walmart.

I hate Walmart. Can you tell? LOL My husband's mother works there. They were very good to her during her mother's illness and death and again were outstanding when she suffered her heart attack and stroke. I don't think they are pure evil, I just think they suck. I avoid it whenever I can.

If I want to buy cheap junk I go to Family Dollar or Dollar General. I actually buy almost all of my cleaning, paper, laundry, and health and beauty products at those stores. I'm a fan of them. Go figure.
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ohio county Tue May 06, 2008 3:30 pm

That's cause sherm used to work for them...
ohio county
ohio county

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephanie Tue May 06, 2008 3:34 pm

Good grief! lol
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Tue May 06, 2008 4:13 pm

If Wrangler lost their Wal Mart contract, they would have to sell twice the amount to thier next 10 customers just to meet previous years sales. That's how big boxes operate.

I don't buy the claim that manufactures are making 'lower quality itmes' for Wal Mart and calling it the the same thing Sears sells for 20% more. If that were the case, I believe Sears/K-Mart (yes, they are one in the same) would bust them via a 60 Minutes type forum.

The reason the prices are lower for Wal Mart's is because their purchasing volumn is so great that the Hoover's and Rubbermaids of the world are willing to accept lower profit margins, at least until the can automate production cost.
Aaron
Aaron

Number of posts : 9841

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephanie Tue May 06, 2008 4:43 pm

Go take a look around Walmart, Aaron. Look at some of the products they sell....I have seen all sorts of small appliances that say "Manufactured Exclusively for Walmart". Those products are manufactured on specifically for Walmart. The quality is inferior because they cut corners, use poorer quality materials etc to keep the prices low for Wally World shoppers. You're not too far from Cross Lanes. Next time you're up that way have a look-see and check it out.

The Rubbermaid thing is something that my mother-in-law and my friend Denis told me about years ago....back when they still had a factory in Wooster, OH and they were employed there.
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Tue May 06, 2008 7:12 pm

I don't have to take a look around Wal Mart Stephanie. I deal with big boxes and I know how they work. Five years ago, boxes were about 10% of my business. Now they are about 85%.

Wal Mart, Lowes and Home Depot are all the same. If they are selling the exact same model at another location, then Wal Mart demands the same quality their competition is selling for the price they are willing to pay. If vendors are unwilling to provide the product at the price they set, then they don’t do business.
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephanie Tue May 06, 2008 9:54 pm

Big boxes are not Walmart.

I realize you think you know everything there is to know about every subject, but on this one, you're dead wrong.

Those products are manufactured exclusively for Walmart......just like the Rubbermaid products Janet made until her factory closed down a few years ago.....by cutting corners, inferior materials etc to decrease production costs to suit Walmart. If the GE toaster from Walmart is the same exact one sold at Sears......why add that little tag to the packaging? Because the toaster is different. Looks the same, not the same quality, just like those garbage cans.
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ziggy Tue May 06, 2008 10:06 pm

I do not mean to challenge Stephanie's friend / relative who worked at Rubbermaid.

But "Manufactured exclusively for Walmart" could well be nothing more than another advertising gimmick. In and of itself, it appears to be a meaningless proclamation- other than perhaps as a label promotion for Wal-Mart.
ziggy
ziggy

Number of posts : 5731

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephanie Tue May 06, 2008 10:14 pm

Nah, Ziggy......I say that specifically because of my husband's mother. She worked for Rubbermaid for 13 years and was stunned and very upset when they began running a seperate line specifically for Walmart. I can't imagine why she would fabricate such a story. In addition, she had a coworker at that plant who worked as a mechanic....he and his wife visited us in RI about a year before that factory closed. He too told us of the the seperate line and the lower standards that went with it, specifically for Walmart.

My interpretation of the "exclusively Walmart" tag on some products, is what I surmise. It seems to me if Rubbermaid did that with garbage cans, other companies are doing it too. Sometimes, they group package things "exclusively for Walmart"......DVD sets, that sort of thing. However, whenever something says it was manufactured for Walmart.....I think back to what Rubbermaid did and I can't help but believe if one company did it, others are doing it too.
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ziggy Tue May 06, 2008 10:48 pm

It seems to me that a manufacturer would be taking a big risk of tainting its brand name reputation by doing this unless it did it under an "off brand" name.

But again, she was there and I wasn't. So I am not challenging her word- only shaking my head at the risk Rubbermaid was taking to its good name.

Is Rubbermaid still around? I am thinking not.

Hell, maybe Wal-Mart should have just bought out Rubbermaid- or at least the Rubbermaid name- and maybe continued buying stuff from the same manufacturing plants, operating under Wal-Mart's under-cutting specs.
ziggy
ziggy

Number of posts : 5731

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Wed May 07, 2008 6:03 am

Stephanie wrote:Big boxes are not Walmart.

I realize you think you know everything there is to know about every subject, but on this one, you're dead wrong.

Those products are manufactured exclusively for Walmart......just like the Rubbermaid products Janet made until her factory closed down a few years ago.....by cutting corners, inferior materials etc to decrease production costs to suit Walmart. If the GE toaster from Walmart is the same exact one sold at Sears......why add that little tag to the packaging? Because the toaster is different. Looks the same, not the same quality, just like those garbage cans.

So Wal Mart is not a big box store and I'm dead wrong.

Really?

You sure about that Stephanie?

Read this and then, once again, tell me how wrong I am again.

Big-box store is a term that refers to a style of physically large chain store, and by extension to the company behind the store. The terms superstore, megastore, and supercenter also refer to these retail establishments.

Contents [hide]
1 Characteristics
2 Types
3 Criticism
4 Big box stores in various countries
4.1 Hong Kong
4.2 United Kingdom and Republic of Ireland
4.3 Canada
4.4 United States
4.5 New Zealand
4.6 India
5 See also
6 References
7 External links

[edit] Characteristics
Typical characteristics include the following:

Large, free-standing, rectangular, generally single-floor structure built on a concrete slab. The flat roof and ceiling trusses are generally made of steel, the walls are concrete block clad in metal or masonry siding.
Floor space several times greater than traditional retailers in the sector; in North America, generally more than 50,000 square feet (4650 m²), sometimes approaching 200,000 square feet (18,600 m²), though varying by sector and market. In countries where space is at a premium, such as the UK, the relevant numbers are a fraction of that.
Location in suburban or rural areas, often in proximity to freeway cloverleaf interchanges, as opposed to downtown shopping districts.
This design provides space for a large amount of merchandise and serves as an enormous billboard to attract customers. It is particularly favored by volume discount retailers.

[edit] Types
Generally, big-box stores can be broken down into two categories: general merchandisers, such as Wal-Mart and Target, and so-called category killers—such as Home Depot, Barnes and Noble, or Circuit City—which specialise in goods within a specific range, such as hardware, books, or electronics. In recent years, many traditional retailers—such as Tesco and Praktiker—have opened stores in the big-box-store format in an effort to compete with big box-chains, which are expanding internationally as their home markets reach maturity. [1]

[edit] Criticism
Opponents criticize big boxes especially for being visually overbearing, wasteful of open space, and deleterious to community and small businesses. Proponents point to consumer benefits from greater convenience and lower cost of goods, and the ability of such stores to draw in tax-generating consumers from a wide area. In recent years, particularly in Canada, commercial developers have chosen to build big box stores (often grouped together in so-called "power centres") in lieu of traditional shopping malls. Examples include Deerfoot Meadows (Calgary), Preston Crossing (Saskatoon) and South Edmonton Common (Edmonton).

[edit] Big box stores in various countries

[edit] Canada
Apart from major American big-box stores such as Wal-Mart Canada, and Home Depot, there are many retail chains operating exclusively in Canada. These include stores such as Zellers/Home Outfitters, Loblaws/Real Canadian Superstore, Rona, Winners/Homesense, Sport Chek, Canadian Tire, Shoppers Drug Mart, and many others.

The indigenous Loblaw Companies Limited has expanded and multiplied its Real Canadian Superstore (and Maxi & Cie in Quebec) branded outlets to try to fill any genuine big-box market and fend off the damaging competition that a large Wal-Mart penetration would inflict on Canadian-based retailers.

There are currently more than 300 power centres, which usually contain multiple big-box stores, located throughout Canada.

[edit] United States
In the United States, a superstore is usually a type of department store, equivalent to the European term hypermarket. However sometimes it refers to specialist category killer retailers.

Usually associated with large chains such as Target and Wal-Mart, a superstore sells a wide range of products, from toys and electronics to clothing and groceries and even furniture, sporting goods and automotive supplies. These types of stores advertise "one stop shopping", where customers can stop just once at their store and buy everything they need or want. Most superstores are located on a single level, as opposed to many department stores which are often multi-leveled.

Non-traditional exterior of a SuperTarget, Jacksonville.Meijer is generally credited with pioneering the superstore concept in the United States. The first Meijer Superstore opened in Grand Rapids, Michigan in 1962 (In contrast, Wal-Mart didn't open its first Superstore until 1988).

Superstores should not be confused with warehouse club stores, such as Sam's Club, Costco, and BJ's Wholesale Club. While many superstores are as large as some warehouse stores, superstores do not require the customer to purchase large quantities of items. The superstores provide the bulk breaking that warehouse stores lack.

The term "superstore" is also used for some large specialist retailers, such as Home Depot which fills the gap of building supplies in other superstores by supplying just those items in their stores. Another example is Fry's Electronics which stocks mostly high technology/electronics items, with occasional house appliances.

Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by ohio county Wed May 07, 2008 6:45 am

It seems to me that a manufacturer would be taking a big risk of tainting its brand name reputation by doing this unless it did it under an "off brand" name.

Stanley/Proto makes a cheapo line of hand tools made in Korea. They feel that they have to compete with the super cheap brandless junk you can pick up at any convenience store/truck stop/gas station. They are willing to compromise their name to expand their business in the short run. You raunch on a frozen nut with one of those combination wrenches, it will fall apart in your hand, and you'll bust a knuckle.

Kitchen-Aid is owned by Whirlpool now. They'll probably turn it into a cheaper line before they close it down.

Willaims bought Allen (maker of the Allen wrench) to produce a cheaper line of crescent wrenches.

Jamesbury ball valves, long the finest general-use ball valve in the world, is no longer privately owned. It is also no longer manufactured in Massachusetts. It is also no longer the finest general-use ball valve in the world.

When you buy out the competition you may not care about the sterling silver quality of your brand name. You may even find it in your best interest to trash it to make your own junk look better.
ohio county
ohio county

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephanie Wed May 07, 2008 7:19 am

ziggy wrote:It seems to me that a manufacturer would be taking a big risk of tainting its brand name reputation by doing this unless it did it under an "off brand" name.

But again, she was there and I wasn't. So I am not challenging her word- only shaking my head at the risk Rubbermaid was taking to its good name.

Is Rubbermaid still around? I am thinking not.

Hell, maybe Wal-Mart should have just bought out Rubbermaid- or at least the Rubbermaid name- and maybe continued buying stuff from the same manufacturing plants, operating under Wal-Mart's under-cutting specs.

Ziggy, I couldn't agree more. They are taking a huge risk. I think some of them feel as though they have no choice.

Rubbermaid moved most of its production to Mexico. I want to say that was about 4 years ago, but it's hard for me to keep track as the years go rolling by. Just the other day my husband told me Jerry Garcia had been dead for over a decade and I thought it was 5 years tops. He's the Dead Head so I'll take his word for it.

Red Wing has recently begun selling cheap boots. I believe they aren't manufactured in the USA but the Red Wings we are all accustomed to still are. I think a lot of these companies are trying to tap into the discount market. It remains to be seen what price they will pay in the long run.
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephanie Wed May 07, 2008 7:22 am

Stephanie wrote:
Big boxes are not Walmart.

Walmart is a big box store. I never said that they weren't.

Just as all dogs are not Boxers, but all Boxers are dogs.

I really do believe you need to brush up on some of your language arts skills, Aaron.
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next