WV Forum for News, Politics, and Sports
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Iraq or the Economy?

+2
Aaron
Stephanie
6 posters

Page 1 of 7 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Iraq or the Economy? Empty Iraq or the Economy?

Post by Stephanie Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:44 pm

http://www.house.gov/paul/tst/tst2008/tst061608.htm

What is the importance of the war in Iraq relative to other current issues? This is a question I am often asked, especially as Americans continue to become increasingly aware that something is very wrong with the economy. The difficulty with the way the question is often asked relates to the perception that we are somehow able to divide such issues, or to isolate the cost of war into arbitrarily defined areas such as national security or international relations. War is an all-encompassing governmental activity. The impact of war on our ability to defend ourselves from future attack, and upon America ’s standing in the world, is only a mere fraction of the total overall effect that war has on our nation and the policies of its government.

The cost of this particular war is enormous, and therefore its of great importance. There is no single issue that is more important at this particular time. The war has, of course, made us less safe as a nation and damaged our credibility with allies and hostile nations alike. Moreover, years of growing deficits have been spurred on by the high price tag of war, and the decision to pay that price primarily by supplemental spending rather than traditional “on-budget” accounting.

War takes what would otherwise be productive economic capacity and transfers both that capacity, and the wealth it would generate in normal, peaceful, times into far less economically viable activities. It also impacts budget priorities in ways that are detrimental to our nation. I have often pointed to the fact that we are building bridges in the United States.

All war, but most particularly war funded by monetary inflation, bleeds a country in multiple ways. Obviously, many of the young people who are in the military literally give their blood, and sometimes their lives, fighting in wars of this type. Meanwhile, those who do not fight the war, but fund it, are forced to pay both the immediate costs, as well as seeing their long term purchasing power erode, as the twin pillars of debt and inflation are foisted upon the backs of current taxpayers and future generations. Neither conspiracy nor coincidence explains steep increases in the price of gas as the war drags on. No, this is simply a reality of the inflationary policies that, among other things, make this war possible.

As people are continually asked to choose whether our nation’s teetering economy or the failed foreign policy of the past several decades is most important as we look forward, it is well for those of us who understand that these two issues are closely linked, to continue to explain this fact to our fellow citizens. To fix the problem requires a proper diagnosis.
[/size]
[size=12]As people are continually asked to choose whether our nation’s teetering economy or the failed foreign policy of the past several decades is most important as we look forward, it is well for those of us who understand that these two issues are closely linked, to continue to explain this fact to our fellow citizens. To fix the problem requires a proper diagnosis.
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Number of posts : 6556
Registration date : 2007-12-28

https://gazzfriends.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Iraq or the Economy? Empty Re: Iraq or the Economy?

Post by Aaron Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:46 pm

I keep hearing that Iraq has damaged our credibility in the world standing but I don't see anything any different in other countries then I do in the United States. Liberals are against Iraq while consertatives don't view it in the same manner.

France elected a consertative President who openly supported GWB and the American efforts in Iraq. We're talking France here.

And I keep hearing that 'they' want us out of the Middle East but the only 'they' that I see doing any demanding is Iran and Syria and some other radical Shiite fundamentalist. I don't see other countries openly demanding we completely abandon the Middle East.

I'm not saying world opinion is on the side of GWB or that every Muslim in the Middle East wants us there but I don't believe it's quite as cut and dried as some liberals among a few others want us to believe.

While I believe we have to make some fundamental changes in the Middle East, beginning with Iraq beginning to pay for our services in regards to what we are doing and have done with their infracture, oil and other aspects of getting services back online. They certainly have the revenue to begin that process.
Aaron
Aaron

Number of posts : 9841

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephanie Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:43 pm

Aaron,

Are you denying the fact that the occupation of Iraq is harming our economy? We have problems with the infrastructure here in America that need addressed, we're rebuilding the infrastructure in Iraq instead.

Initially when we invaded Iraq many nations supported our efforts sending their own troops to assist us. Some nations have withdrawn all of their troops from Iraq and many more have cut troop levels signficantly. The citizens of those nations have decidedly lower opinions of America than they did prior to the invasion. This isn't just about people in nations you don't like or agree with politically and/or philosophically. This is about nations across the globe who consider(ed) America a great nation interested in liberty and justice and how our image has been tarnished in their eyes.
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by SamCogar Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:04 am

The Marshall Plan (from its enactment, officially the European Recovery Program, ERP) was the primary plan of the United States for rebuilding and creating a stronger foundation for the allied countries of Europe, and repelling communism after World War II. The initiative was named for Secretary of State George Marshall and was largely the creation of State Department officials, especially William L. Clayton and George F. Kennan.

The reconstruction plan developed at a meeting of the participating European states was established on July 12, 1947. The Marshall Plan offered the same aid to the USSR and its allies, but they did not accept it, fearing that capitalistic governments might "ask" them to change to capitalism. The plan was in operation for four years beginning in July 1947. During that period some USD 13 billion in economic and technical assistance were given to help the recovery of the European countries that had joined in the Organization for European Economic Co-operation.[1]

Country 1948/49 1949/50 1950/51 Cumulative
($ millions) ($ millions) ($ millions) ($ millions)
Austria 232 166 70 468
Belgium and Luxembourg 195 222 360 777
Denmark 103 87 195 385
France 1085 691 520 2296
West Germany 510 438 500 1448
Greece 175 156 45 366
Iceland 6 22 15 43
Ireland 88 45 0 133
Italy and Trieste 594 405 205 1204
Netherlands 471 302 355 1128
Norway 82 90 200 372
Portugal 0 0 70 70
Sweden 39 48 260 347
Switzerland 0 0 250 250
Turkey 28 59 50 137
United Kingdom 1316 921 1060 3297
Totals 4,924 3,652 4,155 12,721 BILLIONS

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marshall_Plan

SamCogar

Number of posts : 6238

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:22 am

No, I don't deny that Iraq isn't having an effect on our economy which is why I stated they should start reimbursing the US for the upgrades we've made to their infracture. Their entire oil infracture was ignored, well over 30 years old and in horrible condition. We have repaired and replaced most of it. We should be paid for it.

As for our world standing, I was in Europe and heard the anti-American comments in Germany and France personally and knew people who heard it in a dozen other countries. That happened back in 86/87. Everybody hates us until they need us.
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephanie Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:25 am

Aaron wrote:No, I don't deny that Iraq isn't having an effect on our economy which is why I stated they should start reimbursing the US for the upgrades we've made to their infracture. Their entire oil infracture was ignored, well over 30 years old and in horrible condition. We have repaired and replaced most of it. We should be paid for it.

As for our world standing, I was in Europe and heard the anti-American comments in Germany and France personally and knew people who heard it in a dozen other countries. That happened back in 86/87. Everybody hates us until they need us.

They should repay us for improvements to their outdated infrastructure? Should we be compensating them for the loss of lives and limbs of innocent civilians? Should we be paying to reconstruct the homes and the schools we destroyed? Should we be paying to resettle all those we displaced?

We should take all those troops that have all that experience and training and employ them here to upgrade our crumbling infrastructure. I'd recommend they begin with water lines and bridges in the USA.

Perhaps, just maybe, the reason everybody "hates" us is because we refuse to mind our own damn business. Has that thought ever crossed your mind?
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:37 am

Stephanie wrote:
Aaron wrote:No, I don't deny that Iraq isn't having an effect on our economy which is why I stated they should start reimbursing the US for the upgrades we've made to their infracture. Their entire oil infracture was ignored, well over 30 years old and in horrible condition. We have repaired and replaced most of it. We should be paid for it.

They should repay us for improvements to their outdated infrastructure? Yes, that's what I"ve said. Twice. Should we be compensating them for the loss of lives and limbs of innocent civilians? NO Should we be paying to reconstruct the homes and the schools we destroyed? We have. What do you think we're spending all of our money on?Should we be paying to resettle all those we displaced? We have.

We should take all those troops that have all that experience and training and employ them here to upgrade our crumbling infrastructure. I'd recommend they begin with water lines and bridges in the USA. They're soldiers, not construction workers.

Perhaps, just maybe, the reason everybody "hates" us is because we refuse to mind our own damn business.Perhaps. Has that thought ever crossed your mind? Actually, what crossed my mind is that when they need us, they manage to get over all that hate and find a way to love us, don't you agree!!!
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephanie Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:04 am

Are you saying you think we've resettled all the refugees we created? If so, you're wrong.

I agree they are soldiers, but they have the experience and training to help rebuild their nation's crumbling infrastructure. They are active duty, so why not have them help build bridges here in America rather than in Iraq? Some of them have lots of experience guarding borders.....why don't we have them guard our borders and help stem the tide of drug smugglers, murders, rapists, and terrorists crossing our borders with Mexico and Canada?

They hate us until they want us. So why should we risk the lives of our men and women to maintain their sovereignty? Perhaps the Germans you met in the 80's no longer enjoyed American occupation after living with it for 40 years. Enough if enough.
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:31 am

I don't disagree with you except about the part of our military doing construction work. No, they don't have experience doing that. What they have is experience guarding KBR while they do the actual construction work.

And you're right about the Germans. They didn't want us there but considering that country started not 1 but 2 world wars, I think it was pretty apparent someone had to be there. When coupled with the fact that had we not been there the Soviet Union would have, then it really didn't matter what they wanted. I do think its time to rethink our deployment in Germany and the rest of Europe.

And we're not maintaining their sovereignty. We're protecting our vital interest. There's a huge difference. And as soon as it is stable there or we become energy independent then I say pull our troops out.

But we both know the environmental whackos are never going to allow us to become energy independent so we’re going to have some sort of presence in the Middle East for a very long time. That’s simply how it is.
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephanie Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:57 am

Aaron,

You're wrong if you think we don't have troops helping rebuild infrastructure. I'm actually very surprised you aren't aware how many of our service men & women have been trained in fields of engineering etc and how involved they have been in repairing and rebuilding all sorts of things all over the world.

Yes, the US hires contractors and sends them over there for some projects but that isn't because they don't have members of the armed forces with the skills, knowledge, and ability required to do those jobs. It is because we are spread so thin. For crying out loud, we've got private contractors over there now doing security. Our military personel do know security, right?
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:08 pm

We may have some engineering units doing some work or roads and minor bridges and maybe some other small items but doing wholesale rebuilding of infrastructure, no, we don't. The military is not a construction company and there are no construction MOS’s.

The ONLY reason we have engineers that construct roads and bridges is because they are needed in combat environment as roads and bridges tend to get tore up pretty quick. But even with that, not all engineering units are doing engineering work in Iraq. The WVANG’s 111th Engineering Unit out of Eleanor has been patrolling the streets of Baghdad for the past year, not building roads and small bridges as they were trained to do. You’re wrong if you belive our troops are the one's doing the rebuilding.

As for private security firms like Blackwater, yes they are over there doing protection work. But they're not protecting those that are rebuilding the infrastructure. They protect dignitaries, higher ups and money people, how and when they travel and where they stay.

Lowly MP's and infantry protect KBR workers that are doing the vast majority of the reconstruction work and rebuilding of infrastructure.
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephanie Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:35 pm

Aaron,

You just admitted we have troops trained to repair and rebuild infrastructure. Earlier you said our troops are not trained in such areas. The fact remains we do and we have vital projects here in the USA they could be taking care of instead of rebuilding roads in Iraq, or guarding KBR workers. You're missing the point.

Iraq should be employing Iraqis to rebuild their infrastructure. I'm sure outfits like KBR would be more than happy to train them to do so and the American trained Iraqi security forces could protect them.
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:20 pm

I don't think you grasp what a military engineering unit is trained to do. They build roads that are meant to sustain military transport vehicles for a short period of time. They build makeshift bridges that are meant to cross a river on an emergency bases only. Some of these brigdes may very well be floating bridges that are taken up after a military convoy crosses a river. They are not trained to build and maintain roads and bridges for millions of cars to travel on daily.

Let me explain this is terms you might understand better. If my son or your daughter were to go to work for Bob Evans as a cook, they could handle that. And over time, they might actually get pretty good at it and be able to do something besides warm up and prepare pre cooked dinners. But no matter how good they got at cooking at Bob Evans, it would not suffice as training or experience for them to prepare an official White House state dinner for the Queen of England.

Our military warms up country fried steak and you think they can cook a 4 course meal. It's not like that. I don't know where you're getting your information but it is wrong. They are not trained nor do they have the experience to repair and rebuild the infrastructure as you suggest. You couldn't be more wrong.

As for Kellog Brown and Root (KBR), a former subsidery of Haliburton, they don't train people to build power plants, water treatment plants, chemical plants and the oil infrastructure they are building in Iraq. They do that themselves. That is what they do, they do it very well and in truth, they have no equal. That is why they receive some of the no bid contracts and make the money they do.

I understand you think America should march out. Like you, I would love to see our troops come home. But I'm a little more realistic. I know that if we were to march out or leave too soon, then news like this would be everyday occurence and would eventually draw the rest of the region into the conflict.
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephanie Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:06 pm

Aaron,

You're not giving our service personel the credit they deserve. You think because primarily what they build are temporary structures that is all they are capable of? Surely you know better.

You and I and everyone else here have witnessed more than one man being supported by a shovel while supposedly working on a road crew. There is no reason on Earth for me, or anyone else, to believe we don't have members of forces on active duty capable of replacing water lines and improving roads and bridges. Of course there are.

Where have I been getting my information from? My brother-in-law who retired last year after 20 years with the army.
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:11 pm

I'm getting my information from being in the service and I know what they can and can't do and what they are and aren't trained for and building roads in infracture in the United States is not it.

And whether they can do it or not is moot as it is not the militaries constitutional duty to build roads and infracture. Hell, how much of it is the governments responsibility constitutionally is questionable.

What you're talking about is nothing more then plain old socialism. You want them home, that's one thing. If you wanting them defending the border, it's questionable whether immigration patrol would be a constitutional duty of the military but in todays society, you could probably make it stick. Building infrastructure. Sorry, I don't think so.
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:22 pm

The Army's Military Occupational Specialty (MOS) is a system of categorizing career fields. Related jobs are grouped together by Career Management Field (CMF) numbers. For example, 11 is the CMF for the infantry. Some CMFs group entire Army branches, while others contain miscellaneous jobs.

Contents
1 Enlisted MOS
1.1 Branch Immaterial (not oriented to a branch)
1.2 Personnel Special Reporting Codes
1.3 Infantry Branch (IN)
1.4 Field Artillery Branch (FA)
1.5 Air Defense Artillery Branch (ADA)
1.6 Aviation Branch (AV)
1.7 Special Forces Branch (SF)
1.8 Armor Branch (AR)
1.9 Corps of Engineers Branch (EN)
1.10 Signal Corps Branch (SC)
1.11 Judge Advocate General Branch
1.12 Military Police Corps Branch (MP)
1.13 Military Intelligence Branch (MI)
1.14 Psychological Operations Corps Branch (PO)
1.15 Civil Affairs Branch (CA)
1.16 Adjutant General Branch (AG)
1.17 Army Band Branch
1.18 Finance Branch (FI)
1.19 Public Affairs Branch
1.20 Chaplain Branch (CH)
1.21 CMF 63 - Mechanical Maintenance (Ordnance Corps)
1.22 Medical Department Branches
1.23 Chemical Branch (CM)
1.24 CMF 79 - Recruiting and Retention
1.25 Transportation Branch
1.26 Ordnance Branch (OD)
1.27 Quartermaster Corps Branch (QM)
1.28 CMF 94 - Electronic Maintenance
2 Commissioned Officer & Warrant Officer MOS
2.1 Officer Candidates
2.2 Infantry Branch
2.3 Field Artillery Branch
2.4 Air Defense Artillery Branch
2.5 Aviation Branch
2.6 Special Forces Branch
2.7 Armor Branch
2.8 Corps of Engineers Branch
2.9 Signal Corps Branch
2.10 Judge Advocate General Branch
2.11 Military Police Corps Branch
2.12 Military Intelligence Branch
2.13 Psychological Operations Corps Branch
2.14 Civil Affairs Branch
2.15 Adjutant General Branch
2.16 Finance Branch
2.17 Chaplain Branch
2.18 Medical Department Branches
2.19 Chemical Branch
2.20 Transportation Corps
2.21 Logistics Branch
2.22 Ordnance Branch
2.23 Quartermaster Corps Branch
2.24 CMF 94 - Electronic Maintenance
3 External links
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by SamCogar Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:37 am

The West Virginia National Guards performed some MSRF (Mountain Side Removal and Flattening) to create a “sports field” at the site of the new Lewis County High School on the south side of Weston.

SamCogar

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:35 am

They brought in dozers and cut out the side of a mountain to make a ball field, right Sam!

So the question is, did they have the proper permits?
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by SamCogar Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:36 am

I wouldn't know.

Do State agencies and School Boards have to:

Get MTR and MSR permits?
Do environmental impact studies for rare or endangered species?
Do archeological checks for American American artificts or burial sites?
Do environmental impact studies relative to the affected area’s hydrology?
Do social impact studies on those who won’t like what it looks like afterward?

SamCogar

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:29 pm

You would think that they would be required to get the same permits as coal mining companies.
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephanie Wed Jun 18, 2008 3:11 pm

Aaron wrote:I'm getting my information from being in the service and I know what they can and can't do and what they are and aren't trained for and building roads in infracture in the United States is not it.

And whether they can do it or not is moot as it is not the militaries constitutional duty to build roads and infracture. Hell, how much of it is the governments responsibility constitutionally is questionable.

What you're talking about is nothing more then plain old socialism. You want them home, that's one thing. If you wanting them defending the border, it's questionable whether immigration patrol would be a constitutional duty of the military but in todays society, you could probably make it stick. Building infrastructure. Sorry, I don't think so.

Aaron...how long did you serve active duty in the US Army? When was this service? My BIL served for over 20 years and retired from active duty less than a year ago. He served in Iraq, Kuwait, Haiti, Korea, and Germany. He has been back from Iraq for a little over a year. I think any reasonable person would have to agree he has far greater knowledge and experience with today's US Amry than you do. For that reason he's word means more to me than yours.

We need a sufficient number of highly trained active duty service members to keep us safe from a wide variety of threats at all times. Sadly, that is the world we live in.

If you think for a minute that the availibility of potable water to the masses, or safe bridges for transportation, are not vital security interests, you're either too stupid to breath (I doubt that) or you're ingesting some substance I don't want any part of. These are vital to the security of the American people and therefore it makes sense to utilize our active duty military personel to assist in these projects.

Doing so provides experience and training and work for all the people we need "just in case". It also eases the burden on taxpayers by not requiring them outrageous sums to contractors with employees frequently supported by shovels all the while paying paltry sums of money for our active duty service personel to shine shiny buckles and repeatedly clean spotless barracks.

btw.....Just what do you suppose the members of the Army Corps of Engineers are trained to do?
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Wed Jun 18, 2008 3:23 pm

Stephanie, either you've done an Obama and stuck your foot in your mouth on something you know nothing about and you're too proudt to admit I'm right and you're wrong or you're communicating daily with The Rabbit, The Mouse, The Dodo and all the rest.

At any rate, I have personal experience, I've posted links to who is doing that actual work, KBR and I've posted a listing of Army MOS's, which mirror the other services. I've proven my point so unless you come up with something new or relevent, I'm done with this conversation.

You may continue to be wrong without my input.
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephanie Wed Jun 18, 2008 3:32 pm

An Obama? Oh no!!!!

I'm having flashbacks of Mr. Bill now.

You don't want to tell us what the Army Corps of Engineers does? How about some of the projects they've worked on right here in the good ole USA?
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Wed Jun 18, 2008 3:42 pm

Employment with the US Army Corps of Engineers

The US Army Corps of Engineers is primarily a civilian organization. Army personnel make up under 2% of the workforce. All USACE jobs open to candidates not currently employed by the Army are posted at USAJOBS. See How Do I Apply for a Job? for more information about applying for a job through USAJOBS.

Click on this link and learn how to get a job with the USACE.

Nice try though Stephanie.

Very Happy
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephanie Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:43 pm

Those Army personnel that do work for the Corps of Engineers.....what do you suppose they do?

Look, Brad's job in the Army was setting up computer and communication networks. In the military, particularly in time of war, that entailed a lot of work that wouldn't apply in corporate America or anywhere else in the civilian world. He had his pick of positions among numerous companies in both the computer and telecommunications industries.

Nearly all commercial pilots were trained by our military. Nurses and doctors that treat individuals injured in combat make the transition to treating sick and injured civilians all the time.

You're the one who's reaching here, not me.
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 7 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next