WV Forum for News, Politics, and Sports
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Child rapists can't be executed, Supreme Court rules

+4
Aaron
ohio county
TerryRC
Ich bin Ala-awkbarph
8 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Child rapists can't be executed, Supreme Court rules - Page 2 Empty Re: Child rapists can't be executed, Supreme Court rules

Post by SamCogar Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:04 am

I knew an older woman who had lost all of her teeth. She thought the drunks would leave her enough cash in a jar on the bar to purchase a set of false teeth.

lol! lol! lol!

SamCogar

Number of posts : 6238
Registration date : 2007-12-28

Back to top Go down

Child rapists can't be executed, Supreme Court rules - Page 2 Empty Re: Child rapists can't be executed, Supreme Court rules

Post by TerryRC Fri Jul 04, 2008 7:08 am

I have little doubt that TRC will respond factually and intelligently.

Thank you, Ohio.

What is the punishment for rape in Louisiana? Does it allow for the execution of the offender? I really don't know. I was under the impression that no state allowed for the death penalty for such.

The SCOTUS has already found that changes in statutes can't be made retroactive.

Regardless of how they got there, if my assumptions are correct and Louisiana state law did not, at the time of the crime, allow for the execution of this scumbag, the SCOTUS made the only decision they could make.

I don't expect Keli to follow this argument. He doesn't like to mix facts with his beliefs.

TerryRC

Number of posts : 2762
Registration date : 2008-01-05

Back to top Go down

Post by TerryRC Fri Jul 04, 2008 7:12 am

I realize that equating the value of a guilty life (a criminal) with an innocent life (the unborn) is a false choice. Nevertheless, I'm not going to get caught by the argument that I'm a hypocrite. Life is sacred.

All life? Are you a vegan?

Or did you just mean intelligent (or almost intelligent) life? Are dolphins or gorillas sacred?

Or did you mean just human life? I can't see what makes us so damn special so as to be sacred.

Not trying to be confrontational, just sayin'...

TerryRC

Back to top Go down

Post by ohio county Fri Jul 04, 2008 7:50 am

Louisiana was one of six states that allowed the death penalty for rape. You may be correct in that the law was not on the books when Mr. Kennedy (how ironic!) savagely raped his step-daughter although I saw nothing in the opinion about exp post facto.

I'm not saying the belief that life is sacred is good in every case. (What is subservient about flora?) I am saying that I do not want to be caught flat-footed in a discussion about abortion and the sanctity of life.
ohio county
ohio county

Number of posts : 3207

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephanie Fri Jul 04, 2008 8:41 am

My understanding of the Court's decision is different. My understand is the majority ruled that the death penalty is not an acceptable punishment for rape because it is rejected by nearly all the states, that is sort of "culturally" unacceptable. I'm not sure I'm making that very clear, but I certainly have a clear idea in my mind what I believe the Court has said.

Which leads me to ponder some other issues.

Many states have passed medical marijuana laws. So if a clear majority of the states pass such legislation, will the court then rule medical marijuana is now perfectly legal and the Feds can't intervene? Or, if most states pass legislation criminalizing abortion after the 2nd trimester, will they rule abortion can be banned after 13 weeks?

Does anyone else interpret the recent decision the way I do?
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Number of posts : 6556

https://gazzfriends.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Fri Jul 04, 2008 11:44 am

You may be on to something there Stephanie. I was reading an op-ed online right after the 2nd amendment decision, and the writer asserted that this court has practiced more judicial activism and ruled without regard to precedent then any court in the past one hundred years. The writer stated the court did so in the child rape case as well as the DC Gun ban case and cited numerous other cases. I'll see if I can find the piece. I believe it was in the LA Times.

Here is an op-ed from the NY times published last year.

I'll continue to look for the one from this year.
Aaron
Aaron

Number of posts : 9841

Back to top Go down

Post by SamCogar Fri Jul 04, 2008 1:19 pm

ohio county wrote:Louisiana was one of six states that allowed the death penalty for rape. You may be correct in that the law was not on the books when Mr. Kennedy (how ironic!) savagely raped his step-daughter although I saw nothing in the opinion about exp post facto.

I'm not saying the belief that life is sacred is good in every case.

It is my opinion that all those who claim "every human life is sacred and should be saved", only does so because of one or more of the following:

1. Political Correctness is more important that administering Justice.

2. They do so to protect their claim of their belief in God and the Bible.

3. They fear retribution from their friends and associates.

4. They fear that they themselves or a friend or relative might be charged with a capital crime punishable by a death sentence.

Someone please tell me, .... just what the hell could possibly be sacred about the life of a person who would kidnap, torture, rape, murder and then bury the body of a 4 to 14 year old boy or girl in a shallow grave?

SamCogar

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephanie Sat Jul 05, 2008 1:01 am

Sam,

What value the life of another human being holds is not for us to decide. Do you have any idea how many times innocent people have been executed in this country?

Nothing is fool proof. Witnesses make mistakes. People make false confessions due to police brutality or mental illness. Even DNA isn't fool-proof. If one innocent person is executed that is 1 far too many.

What is really gained by executing a person? If John Doe murders me and the state of WV executes him for the crime, I'm still dead. My kids don't have their mother, I'm still dead. I'm never coming back. What has been gained?

John Doe very likely has some family. Do his parents deserve having to live through his execution? How about his children? I can't think of too many things as bad as having the government decide your child isn't fit to live.

I have witnessed both sides of this. I have a friend who's brother was murdered by a man who is the brother of a high school classmate of mine. It's been almost 30 years and the murderer's parents have died and so hasn't one of his brothers. His daughter still lives......she was a little girl when her father shot and killed a 21 y/o who had his whole life ahead of him.

No matter what the state does, that young man is never coming back. My friend wants vengance to this day.....she wants him to die. I fail to see what good it will do. Better to leave him locked in a cage like the animal that he is.

One of my favorite lines ever is from Stephen King's Pet Cemetary. "Sometimes dead is better". I know I would much rather be dead than spend the rest of my life in prison. I don't think a life sentence without possibility of parole is a slap on the wrist. It's what the person you described deserves......in general population.

Last edited by Stephanie on Sat Jul 05, 2008 1:03 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : punctuation)
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Sat Jul 05, 2008 6:39 am

Stephanie wrote:
What value the life of another human being holds is not for us to decide. Do you have any idea how many times innocent people have been executed in this country?

How many?
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by TerryRC Sat Jul 05, 2008 7:10 am

Louisiana was one of six states that allowed the death penalty for rape. You may be correct in that the law was not on the books when Mr. Kennedy (how ironic!) savagely raped his step-daughter although I saw nothing in the opinion about exp post facto.

If that is the case, barring the possibility that it didn't carry the death sentence when this person committed the crime, my argument was wrong and the SCOTUS was WAY off.

My mistake.

TerryRC

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephanie Sat Jul 05, 2008 10:59 am

Aaron,

Nobody knows the answer to that question. We do know, for a fact, innocent people have been executed in this country. The only way to guarantee that never happens again is to do away with the death penalty.
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Sat Jul 05, 2008 11:03 am

If it is a known fact that innocent people have been executed then there shouldn't be a problem producing a name or a case.
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by SamCogar Sat Jul 05, 2008 11:59 am

Stephanie wrote:Sam,

Nothing is fool proof. Witnesses make mistakes. People make false confessions due to police brutality or mental illness. Even DNA isn't fool-proof. If one innocent person is executed that is 1 far too many.

What is really gained by executing a person? If John Doe murders me and the state of WV executes him for the crime, I'm still dead. My kids don't have their mother, I'm still dead. I'm never coming back. What has been gained?

John Doe very likely has some family. Do his parents deserve having to live through his execution? How about his children? I can't think of too many things as bad as having the government decide your child isn't fit to live.

I have witnessed both sides of this. I have a friend who's brother was murdered by a man who is the brother of a high school classmate of mine. It's been almost 30 years and the murderer's parents have died and so hasn't one of his brothers. His daughter still lives......she was a little girl when her father shot and killed a 21 y/o who had his whole life ahead of him.

No matter what the state does, that young man is never coming back. My friend wants vengance to this day.....she wants him to die. I fail to see what good it will do. Better to leave him locked in a cage like the animal that he is.

One of my favorite lines ever is from Stephen King's Pet Cemetary. "Sometimes dead is better". I know I would much rather be dead than spend the rest of my life in prison. I don't think a life sentence without possibility of parole is a slap on the wrist. It's what the person you described deserves......in general population.

Ask not what an execution will gain you, ...... ask what you will lose by not executing.

And here is a fine example of what that will be.

A 21-year-old man has been arrested in connection with the brutal double murder of French students Laurent Bonomo and Gabriel Ferez, Scotland Yard said.

The friends, both 23, were bound, gagged and stabbed to death in a bedsit in New Cross, south London on Sunday night.

The Metropolitan Police said the man was arrested and is in custody at a police station in south-east London.

The bodies of Bonomo, from Velaux, near Marseille, and Ferez, from Prouzel, were found after firefighters attended a blaze at their ground-floor flat.

A pathologist documented 243 separate injuries to the badly-burned bodies, with Bonomo suffering 80 wounds after he died.

Police last night said the men might have died for the sake of two handheld games consoles.

Detectives said two Sony PSP consoles were stolen from Bonomo's rented flat in Sterling Gardens.

Officers are also hunting a black Packard Bell laptop taken in a burglary six days earlier, while Bonomo was in the shower.

Ferez, who lived in South Norwood, had traveled to spend the evening at his friend's flat, where they were playing computer games.

Det Chief Insp Mick Duthie, leading the investigation, said: "The more we find out about them (the victims) the more we find they were good, honest, hardworking young men; very intelligent, never caused anybody any problems, they were well liked and come from respectable families.

"This is just a tragedy.
"

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,376662,00.html

Stephanie, if executing one innocent person ..... saves the lives of 1 to 100 innocent people, I see the gained benefits.

If criminals have no fear of being executed, ....... then they will have no fear of murdering or executing someone else.

If you want to cut down on "innocent convictions" ...... then change the Law that if any Officer of the Court or a witness ...... knowingly causes the conviction and sentencing of an innocent person ...... then they will be automatically found guilty of the crime in question and be sentenced to "double indemity" of whatever the sentencing guidlines call for for said crime.

SamCogar

Back to top Go down

Post by SamCogar Sat Jul 05, 2008 12:05 pm

Steph, why is it you all want to arrest drunk drivers before they kill someone, ........ but you don't want to punish murderers after they kill someone?

SamCogar

Back to top Go down

Post by ziggy Sat Jul 05, 2008 12:26 pm

Aaron wrote:If it is a known fact that innocent people have been executed then there shouldn't be a problem producing a name or a case.

There is a problem because of a catch 22:

One of the reasons we have not had a definitive example of the execution of an innocent person is that official investigations cease once the death penalty has been carried out.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/07/14/opinion/14herbert.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

And District Attorneys / Presecuting Attorneys are loath to re-open a case once a defendents has been convicted- even more so once a defendent has been executed- no matter how convincingly new evidence might show that a mistake of judicial process has taken place.
ziggy
ziggy

Number of posts : 5731

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Sat Jul 05, 2008 12:36 pm

ziggy wrote:
Aaron wrote:If it is a known fact that innocent people have been executed then there shouldn't be a problem producing a name or a case.

There is a problem because of a catch 22:

One of the reasons we have not had a definitive example of the execution of an innocent person is that official investigations cease once the death penalty has been carried out.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/07/14/opinion/14herbert.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

And District Attorneys / Presecuting Attorneys are loath to re-open a case once a defendents has been convicted- even more so once a defendent has been executed- no matter how convincingly new evidence might show that a mistake of judicial process has taken place.

That may very well be the case Frank and I'm not arguing with that but that's not what Stephanie said. What she said was...

Stephanie wrote:Aaron,

Nobody knows the answer to that question. We do know, for a fact, innocent people have been executed in this country. The only way to guarantee that never happens again is to do away with the death penalty.

If it is known, for a fact that innocent people have been executed in this country then there is not catch 22 and thus there should be no problem citing a case or producing a name.

Agreed Frank!!!!!!!!!!
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:22 am

[quote="Stephanie"]http://www.law.duke.edu/shell/cite.pl?61+Law+&+Contemp.+Probs.+105+(Autumn+1998)#H1N3
Posted: Sun 6 Jul 2008 - 1:46 by Stephaniehttp://www.law.duke.edu/shell/cite.pl?61+Law+&+Contemp.+Probs.+105+(Autumn+1998)#H1N3

In May 1990, Jesse Tafero was executed in Florida. His case gained notoriety because the electric chair malfunctioned and his head caught on fire before he died. Two years later, Jesse's co-defendant, Sonia Jacobs, who had been convicted and sentenced to death on exactly the same evidence that sent Tafero to his death, was released after a U.S. Court of Appeals concluded that her conviction was based on prosecutorial suppression of exculpatory evidence and perjury by a prosecution witness (who was the real killer).
Jacobs now lives in Los Angeles, and in early 1996, a television movie of her case was aired. But Tafero is dead. Had he been alive, the evidence that led to Jacobs's release would have led to his release, too.

Did Jacobs's vindication and release cause any Florida official to admit the error in convicting Tafero, much less to apologize on behalf of the state, or even to express second thoughts about Tafero's execution? No. To be sure, a few newspaper articles pointed out the error, but no politician, prosecutor, judge, or ex-juror involved in the case has so far made any public comment on Tafero's fate in light of Jacobs's vindication. Tafero's mother, living impoverished in Pennsylvania, does not have the resources to mount a campaign to clear her son's name. His attorneys have long since moved on to other cases.

So, given that we cannot point to admission of erroneous executions by government officials involved in the cases we have studied, on what grounds can we confidently infer that innocent defendants have been executed? Apart [*pg 116] from rare cases like Tafero-Jacobs (where one codefendant is executed before the other codefendant is exonerated), there are at least three kinds of evidence that we believe ought to convince any reasonable person that innocent defendants have been executed: close calls, calculation of the odds, and the role of "Lady Luck."

A. Close Calls

Between 1972 and the end of 1996, sixty-eight death row inmates in the nation were released because of doubts about their guilt. These releases do not prove that the system works, as some defenders of the death penalty would argue. Representative Bill McCollum, for example, one of our executioners' best friends in Congress, was "encouraged" by the findings, claiming that the sixty-eight errors in twenty-five years "shows that the system is working quite well." Contrary to such political spin, however, our research indicates that if "the system worked," the defendants would be dead. In virtually all of these cases, the defendants were released only after an expensive and exhausting uphill struggle, unsupported by public funds or public officials, and almost always fiercely resisted by the prosecution and ignored by those with the power to commute a death sentence.
Some of these prisoners, now free, came within a few days of being executed. Randall Adams, sentenced to death in Texas in 1977 and exonerated in 1989, came to within one week of his execution Andrew Mitchell, sentenced to death in Texas in 1981, came within five days of death by lethal injection before being vindicated in 1993. Two half-brothers in Florida, William Jent and Ernest Miller, came within sixteen hours of being executed before they were released from prison in 1988. More such cases have been cited elsewhere.
Today, there are more than three thousand prisoners on America's death rows. As things stand, it would be preposterous to believe that all the innocent death row defendants have been identified and exonerated. If the history of the last twenty years is any guide to the future, an average of three death row inmates per year will continue to be vindicated and released. How many [*pg 117] equally innocent death row inmates will be unsuccessful in obtaining relief is impossible to know, but the number most certainly is not zero.
B. Calculation of the Odds

Assume we execute two death row inmates, each of whom we believe is guilty "beyond a reasonable doubt" on the evidence. Let belief in guilt "beyond a reasonable doubt" mean that we are ninety percent confident of guilt, and that our belief in both these cases is correct. Nevertheless we are not (and rarely could be) 100% certain, and so, on these assumptions, we are implicitly accepting a ten percent error rate even when we are ninety percent confident. However, because the odds of error are multiplicative, the probability that any two death row prisoners chosen at random are guilty is not ninety percent (0.9), but only eighty-one percent (0.9 x 0.9). Thus, the probability that all 3,000 death row inmates today are guilty, even if we are ninety percent confident of guilt in each case, is minuscule.
To put this another way, if we executed 100 inmates and we were ninety-five percent certain of guilt in each case, we would be implicitly accepting a five percent error rate; in being willing to execute all 100, we are in effect willing to execute five out of the hundred who might be innocent (even though, of course, we do not know which five are innocent, or whether more or any are). If our perceptions on the odds of error are accurate reflections of the real occurrences of error, the number of innocent persons legally executed is quite high -- and much higher than our admittedly selective and incomplete research into identifiable cases suggests.
C. The Role of "Lady Luck"

In the heat of their attack on our claim that some two dozen of the several hundred cases we studied involved the execution of the innocent, the Justice Department simply ignored the vast majority of cases where we claim an innocent person was convicted of a capital offense but was not executed. In effect, their silence tacitly concedes that our judgment is correct in more than ninety percent of all the cases and wrong in fewer than ten percent. Why these critics think that small percent matters they have yet to explain. What they conveniently overlook are scores of cases in which they do not -- and could not reasonably -- dispute our claims, namely, that innocent persons have been convicted and sentenced to death, and that innocent prisoners who were not executed would have been, or might have been, executed except for extraordinary good fortune.
Consider some of the ways good fortune smiled on the innocent death row prisoner. Some of the cases we cite involve a defendant whose release was owing to the timely discovery of a hitherto unknown eyewitness (for example, [*pg 118] the case of Jerry Banks. What if that witness had not stepped forward? In other cases we cite, the true culprit confessed in time to save the innocent prisoner (for example, the case of James Foster. What if the true culprit had kept silent about his involvement? In still other cases, vindication depended on a dedicated journalist who took up the cause and established that the convicted defendant is really innocent (for example, the case of Freddie Pitts and Wilbert Lee. What if no journalist had developed a timely interest in the case? In 1993, Kirk Bloodsworth was freed from death row in Maryland when technology not widely available at the time of his trial (DNA testing) proved his innocence. What if this technology had not been developed for another decade, or semen on the body of the victim had not been preserved, or the victim had not been raped as well as murdered? Under any of these conditions, Bloodsworth would not have been exonerated.
In one way or another, virtually every case in which death row inmates are able to prove their innocence is a story of exceptional luck. Only when we realize how lucky the exonerated death row defendants have been can we realize how easy it is for fatal mistakes to go undetected. The more such cases are discovered the greater the likelihood there are other cases so far undetected -- and that some of these cases involve the execution of the innocent. Just because boats filled with illegal drugs are regularly intercepted by the police near our shores, it does not follow that all boats carrying such drugs have been intercepted.

Last edited by Stephanie on Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:44 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : clean up url stuff)
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:41 am

See, that wasn't so hard, was it. Now let's look at the case.

Jessie Joseph Tafero (born October 12, 1946 — died May 4, 1990), was a convicted rapist, drug dealer and murderer executed via electric chair in the state of Florida for the murders of Florida Highway Patrol officer Phillip Black and Donald Irwin, a visiting Canadian constable and friend of Black.

The crime, trial, and execution
On the morning of February 20, 1976, Black and Irwin approached a car parked at a rest stop for a routine check. Tafero, his partner Sonia "Sunny" Jacobs, her two children (ages 9 years and 10 months), and Walter Rhodes were found asleep inside. Tafero had previously been in prison and was on probation. Jacobs had previous convictions for prostitution and drug charges. Black saw a gun lying on the floor inside the car. He woke the occupants and had first Rhodes then Tafero come out of the car. According to Rhodes, Tafero then shot both Black and Irwin with the gun, which was illegally registered to Jacobs, and led the others into the police car and fled the scene. They later disposed of the police car and kidnapped a man and stole his car. All three were arrested after being caught in a roadblock. When they were arrested, the gun was found in Tafero's waistband.

Prior to his conviction for murder, Tafero had been convicted of rape, robbery, burglary and drug charges while Jacobs had been convicted of prostitution and selling amphetamine. Rhodes was on parole for assault with intent to commit robbery. Tafero and Jacobs were also wanted for drug and weapons charges in South Carolina. The prosecution would argue that Tafero and Jacobs had more motive to avoid arrest.

At their trial, Rhodes testified that Tafero and Jacobs were solely responsible for the murders. Tafero and Jacobs were convicted of capital murder and were sentenced to death while Rhodes was sentenced to 3 life sentences. He was released in 1994 following parole for good behavior. The children were placed in the care of Sunny Jacobs' parents until their deaths in a 1982 plane crash. The children were then separated and placed in the care of other relatives and close family friends.

Tafero and Jacobs continued their relationship through letters while serving time in the prison. Because there was no death row for women in Florida, Jacobs was put into solitary confinement for the first five years of her imprisonment, let out only once or twice a week for exercise. She learned yoga to pass the time, and after being moved to the general prison population, began teaching yoga to other prisoners.

Because the jury had recommended a life sentence for Jacobs, the court commuted Jacobs' sentence to life in prison, but not Tafero's.

Jessie Tafero was to be killed by electrocution. However, the machine, dubbed "Old Sparky", malfunctioned, causing six-inch flames to shoot out of Tafero's head. A member of the execution team had used a synthetic sponge rather than a sea sponge, which is necessary to provide greater conductivity and a quick death. In all, three jolts of electricity were required to render Tafero dead, a process that took 6.5 minutes.

The Jesse Tafero case became the cause célèbre among death penalty opponents, who cited the brutal circumstances of his execution as reasons it should be abolished.

The Eleventh Circuit Court of Appeals found reason to overturn the conviction of Sonia "Sunny" Jacobs. She was released after accepting a plea bargain in which she pled nolo contendere (technically an Alford plea of "guilty", but without admitting factual guilt) to all of the charges against her. After her release, Jacobs was reunited with her children and became an outspoken opponent of the death penalty. She moved to Ireland, where she now lives with her new partner Peter Pringle (also a Death Row exoneree) and continues to teach yoga, offering it also to prison inmates in her new country.[1] She wrote the 2007 book, "Stolen Time", about the events that changed her life, as well as a forthcoming book about yoga, "If you can breathe, you can do it". Jacobs also campaigns for human rights, working with Amnesty International and other organizations. Tafero and Jacobs' story, and the stories of five other exonerees, was told in a highly fictionalized play called "The Exonerated" performed in London at The Riverside Studios. She was portrayed in a TV movie version by actress Susan Sarandon, as well as a documentary film created by her childhood friend Micki Dickoff.

[edit] Problems with Rhodes's testimony
Prior to his release, Rhodes had admitted several times that he had lied about his involvement in the shooting. In Sonia "Sunny" Jacobs's version of events, she and Tafero had accepted a lift from Rhodes a casual acquaintance (who was in breach of his parole, although she claims this was not known to the couple)while they were on the run authorities in South Carolina. Rhodes then carried out the shooting. He was the only person on which traces of gunpowder were found. He changed his story repeatedly over the years (Cite, St Petersburg Times). Sunny "Sonia" Jacobs has always maintained that she and Tafero were completely innocent of the crime, and that her plea was in response to advice from her lawyer. (Cite. Guardian Monday February 20, 2006).

First, this wasn't some innocent bystander that was caught in the middle or framed or anything like that. This was one convicted criminal on the run involved in a murder and convicted on the testimony of another convicted killer.

I have a problem with this case. If you recall, I stated several objections I had against the death penalty. For me, this is one such instance. A person convicted on circumstantial evidence. I don't believe that should happen. This case should have been overturned.

The solution isn't rocket science. Set up a Supreme Court style appeals court where all death penalty cases automatically go for review. If there is any doubt, commute the sentence to life without parole and remand it back to the judicial system. But if a person if found guilty beyond a reasonable doubt then execute the convicted person within a year. This case would have been commuted based on questionable testimony and the presence of gun powder residue on that person.

This case points out some of the flaws of the current system Stephanie. For me, it’s not reason enough to do away with the death penalty.

Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephanie Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:03 am

Aaron,

You asked me to cite one case of an innocent person being executed by the government. Clearly Tafero was executed for a crime committed by the person who testified against him.

Tafero wasn't a choir boy. He was a career criminal. That doesn't alter the fact that man was executed for a crime he did not commit.

He's not alone. This country has a lengthy history of executing people for crimes they did not commit that predates our independence from England. That is unless you actually believe all those poor people hanged in Salem were actually witches.
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:10 am

And an appeals court specifically set up for death penalty cases would eliminate the Jesse Tafero cases we see, commuting questionable convictions to life in prison,. Ironically, that is where this man should have been to start with.

As I said, this case is not argument to abolish the death penalty but to address problems and correct them. This is one area that demands federal government intervention but you don't see them touching this issue because it's not a vote winner.
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephanie Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:35 am

Aaron,

Another court will have many, if not all, of the same problems the courts we already have do.

One of the biggest problems will be seating judges for this court you envision. Imagine the Senate confirmation hearings for that baby.

In the end you still have fallible people determining the value of life of other human beings. This will not reduce all errors. Innocent people will still be executed.
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Sun Jul 06, 2008 12:05 pm

My glass is half full Stephanie.

For all of the problems you can find, I can find a solution.

Revolving judges nominated by a bi-partisan commission that serve set lengths of time.

And they will not be determining the life of other individuals. That has already been done by a jury of that persons peers.

All the court will be determining is if they got it right.

Set the bar so low that one or two judges can stop an execution if they have doubt and you'll eliminate innocent people getting executed.

Next.
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephanie Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:14 pm

You set the bar that low and you'll have nobody being executed.

There are an awful lot of Senators who oppose the death penalty altogether. It isn't much of a stretch to think those Senators would be successful in seating a couple of judges who oppose it too.

I fail to see why we should have any confidence in one group of judges making no errors. No matter what they will still be mere mortals and like all people they will make mistakes too.
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:28 pm

I disagree Stephanie. This was actually proposed back in the 60's I believe. There were many in the legal community that thought it was a good idea.

It won't go anywhere because Congress is to scared to address the issue.
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by TerryRC Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:52 am

My glass is half full Stephanie.

For all of the problems you can find, I can find a solution.

Yet you can't see a way to avoid the "financial disaster" that you believe would occur if polygamy/polyandry is allowed in this country.

That is some periodic creativity you possess...

TerryRC

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next