WV Forum for News, Politics, and Sports
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Iraq insists on withdrawal timetable for US troops

5 posters

Go down

Iraq insists on withdrawal timetable for US troops Empty Iraq insists on withdrawal timetable for US troops

Post by Ich bin Ala-awkbarph Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:45 am

Iraq insists on withdrawal timetable for US troops

By SALLY BUZBEE

BAGHDAD (AP) - Iraq's national security adviser said Tuesday his country will not accept any security deal with the United States unless it contains specific dates for the withdrawal of U.S.-led forces.

The comments by Mouwaffak al-Rubaie were the strongest yet by an Iraqi official about the deal now under negotiation with U.S. officials. It came a day after Iraq's prime minister first said publicly that he expects the pending troop deal with the United States to have some type of timetable for withdrawal.

President Bush has said he opposes a timetable. The White House said Monday it did not believe al-Maliki was proposing a rigid timeline for U.S. troop withdrawals.

U.S. officials had no immediate comment Tuesday on al-Rubaie's statement.

More bad news for Democrats and Republinaysayers.
Ich bin Ala-awkbarph
Ich bin Ala-awkbarph

Number of posts : 2310
Registration date : 2008-01-28

Back to top Go down

Iraq insists on withdrawal timetable for US troops Empty Re: Iraq insists on withdrawal timetable for US troops

Post by shermangeneral Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:28 am

Well Terri can you please explain how that is bad news for Dems and good news for McCain?

Seems to me that just verifies what we have been saying for five years.

Mission accomplished.

Time to go home.

Develop our own energy sources and conform our oil demand to our reliable supply.

Just like Jimmy Carter said 30 years ago.

shermangeneral

Number of posts : 1347
Registration date : 2007-12-30

Back to top Go down

Iraq insists on withdrawal timetable for US troops Empty Re: Iraq insists on withdrawal timetable for US troops

Post by Aaron Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:26 pm

I wonder why Jimmy Carter didn't do something instead of just talking 30 years ago???
Aaron
Aaron

Number of posts : 9841
Registration date : 2007-12-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Ich bin Ala-awkbarph Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:38 pm

Aaron wrote:I wonder why Jimmy Carter didn't do something instead of just talking 30 years ago???

Obama is the second coming of Jimmy Carter............
Ich bin Ala-awkbarph
Ich bin Ala-awkbarph

Number of posts : 2310
Registration date : 2008-01-28

Back to top Go down

Post by shermangeneral Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:16 pm

Well correct me if I'm wrong (I'm sure you will) but I believe Carter did put an energy independence plan in place.

And Reagan cancelled it.

Do you remember it different?

shermangeneral

Number of posts : 1347
Registration date : 2007-12-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:38 pm

I was in middle school Sherm and honestly don't remember Carter's plan so I googled it. This is pretty much reflective of what I came up with.

The Carter energy proposal is praised for setting priorities, but is criticized for the adverse effects it will have on Texas and other energy-producing states.^Specific criticisms find the plan is less than a total energy policy, distributes sacrifices unevenly, provides inadequate incentives for oil and gas exploration, is confusing on how coal conversion and environmental constraints can be made compatible, and imposes even more regulatory complexity on top of an already over-regulated market.^The new policy is seen as an attempt to solve too many socio-economic problems rather than develop energy.^Institutionalization of the energy program, it is felt, will be counter to the way energy development has progressed in Texas, i.e., supplies increase as prices go up.^A counter proposal is made to establish a system of competitive fuels and to support production of oil and gas in order to avoid disruptions while other fuels are developed.^Carter`s fuel conservation plan is felt to be inadequate because its lack of a comprehensive approach to transportation discriminates against the automobile.^(DCK)

There was one page from The Heritage Foundation that wasn't over fond of Carter's proposal either.

Are they wrong?
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephanie Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:16 pm

Wasn't Aaron telling me just last week the Iraqis want us in Iraq?

I'm wondering where all those Iraqis who enjoy the occupation are?
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Number of posts : 6556

https://gazzfriends.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:19 pm

So which of the 3 reports (that I've seen) are accurate?

Aaron wrote:I'm confused. I thought everyone in that part of the world wanted us gone.

Iraqi foreign minister urges security deal with US By QASSIM ABDUL-ZAHRA, Associated Press Writer
1 hour, 8 minutes ago

BAGHDAD - Iraq's foreign minister says the country has little choice but to sign a new security agreement with the U.S. that would let American troops stay in the country after a U.N. mandate expires.

Foreign Minister Hoshyar Zebari recently returned to Iraq after meeting with President Bush in Washington to discuss the agreement, which has been criticized by many Iraqi officials worried it would leave too much power in U.S. hands.

But Zebari told parliament Tuesday that the only other options were to extend the U.N. mandate that expires at the end of the year or continue without a formal agreement, neither of which holds much appeal to Iraqis.

He said an agreement would last one or two years and urged Iraqi officials to finalize it by the end of July.
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephanie Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:53 pm

They want us gone, Aaron. Even the report you just posted clearly indicates they don't want to live under American occupation for the 100 years you and John McCain both seem more than willing to commit to.

It's time to bring our troops home.
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Number of posts : 6556

https://gazzfriends.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by SamCogar Wed Jul 09, 2008 5:14 am

U.S. Army General: Iraqi Security Forces Still Need Help
Wednesday, July 09, 2008

WASHINGTON — The U.S. Army three-star general who for a year led efforts to train Iraq's army and police units says progress is mixed and U.S. help is needed for the foreseeable future.

Lt. Gen. James Dubik was expected to tell the House Armed Services Committee on Wednesday that the size of Iraq's security forces have grown by more than a quarter — from 444,000 to 566,000 — since he assumed command of the Multi-National Security Transition Command in June 2007. And, he says, the forces are improving their ability to execute operations on their own.

But the fast-growing force lacks experienced military leaders and the inability to train all of its new recruits, Dubik says.

"As I often said to my command in Baghdad, 'progress doesn't result in no problems, it results in new problems,"' he wrote in prepared testimony for the hearing.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,378321,00.html

SamCogar

Number of posts : 6238

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:14 am

Whatever you say Stephanie, whatever you say.

Rolling Eyes
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down