WV Forum for News, Politics, and Sports
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ron Paul and Foreign Policy

4 posters

Go down

Ron Paul and Foreign Policy Empty Ron Paul and Foreign Policy

Post by Keli Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:15 am

Ron Paul and Foreign Policy
WSJ Digital Network ^ | January 15, 2008 | BRET STEPHENS

Ron Paul invited the audience at last Thursday's Republican debate to entertain the notion that the Middle East would be a better place with the U.S. out of the picture.

Dr. Paul's own remedy is that if "we trade with everybody and talk with them . . . there's a greater incentive to work these problems out." But here's a rub.

As historian Michael Oren observes in "Power, Faith and Fantasy," his history of America's 230-year involvement in the Middle East, as early as the 1790s "many Americans had grown dismayed with the country's Middle East policy of admonishing the [Barbary] pirates while simultaneously coddling them with bribes." It was precisely out of a desire to "trade with everybody" that the early American republic was forced to build a navy, and then to go to war, to defend its commercial interests, a pattern that held true in World War I and the Persian Gulf "Tanker War" of the 1980s.

These details of history pose a problem not just to Dr. Paul's views of the Middle East, but to the intellectual architecture of libertarianism itself. Liberal societies are built on the belief in (and defense of) individual rights, but also on the overawing power of government to transform natural rights into civil ones. In the same way, trade between nations is only possible in the absence of robbers, pirates and other rogues. Whose job is it to get rid of them?

Is Ron Paul really naive enough to think that he could schmooze ObL?
Keli
Keli

Number of posts : 3608
Location : Zarr Chasm, WV--between Flotsam and Belch on the Cheat River
Registration date : 2007-12-28

Back to top Go down

Ron Paul and Foreign Policy Empty Re: Ron Paul and Foreign Policy

Post by ohio county Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:31 am

Nobody has challenged Barack Obama at having made the same assertion.
ohio county
ohio county

Number of posts : 3207

Back to top Go down

Post by Keli Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:33 am

ohio county wrote:

Nobody has challenged Barack Obama at having made the same assertion.

Why wouldn't Obama schmooze Osama?
Keli
Keli

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephanie Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:40 am

Ron Paul has always insisted we persue Osama Bin Laden. He has never wavered his desire to bring that maniac to justice. In fact, Dr. Paul voted in favor of persuing him and Al Qaeda in Afghanistan and has repeatedly introduced legislation aimed at capturing Bin Laden.

http://www.ronpaullibrary.org/document.php?id=271

I see no "schmooozing" of Bin Laden or any other terrorist by Dr. Paul.
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Number of posts : 6556

https://gazzfriends.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Keli Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:50 am

Stephanie wrote:Ron Paul has always insisted we persue Osama Bin Laden. He has never wavered his desire to bring that maniac to justice. In fact, Dr. Paul voted in favor of persuing him and Al Qaeda in Afghanistan and has repeatedly introduced legislation aimed at capturing Bin Laden.

Did Ron Paul write this tripe calling for assasination squads operating in other sovereign nations--or, like other things he disclaims, did one of his Ron-bots?
Keli
Keli

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:09 pm

Stephanie wrote:Ron Paul has always insisted we persue Osama Bin Laden. He has never wavered his desire to bring that maniac to justice. In fact, Dr. Paul voted in favor of persuing him and Al Qaeda in Afghanistan and has repeatedly introduced legislation aimed at capturing Bin Laden.

We discussed this on the other forum. Congress can't issue letters of Marque and Reprisal to the President. The letters are issued to the individual(s) that are responsible for seeking out transgressors (in this case, OBL) and is the document that authorizes them to travel to other nations. The constitution clearly gives the authority to issue these to Congress.

Under Paul's bill, Congress would issue the letters to the President, who would in turn send in the US Military to complete the task. That's not how it works. It's unconstitutional which is suprising considering it's coming from a constitutionalist.
Aaron
Aaron

Number of posts : 9841

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephanie Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:41 pm

Aaron wrote:

We discussed this on the other forum. Congress can't issue letters of Marque and Reprisal to the President. The letters are issued to the individual(s) that are responsible for seeking out transgressors (in this case, OBL) and is the document that authorizes them to travel to other nations. The constitution clearly gives the authority to issue these to Congress.

Under Paul's bill, Congress would issue the letters to the President, who would in turn send in the US Military to complete the task. That's not how it works. It's unconstitutional which is suprising considering it's coming from a constitutionalist.

You know I find it odd that people spend many years studying the law and our Constitution and issues are raised time and again before SCOTUS because of misinterpretations of COTUS and ambiguities in COTUS and yet some floor manager in a manufacturing plant from Poca, WV is convinced he has all of the answers.

To declare war, grant letters of marque and reprisal, and make rules concerning captures on land and water;

From those few words Aaron is convinced he knows precisely how and to who Congress has the authority to grant letters of marque and reprisal. Why do we even need SCOTUS any more?

COTUS says Congress shall have the power to:
To regulate commerce with foreign nations, and among the several states, and with the Indian tribes;
yet for years the President has been able to "fast track" trade negotiations and circumvent Congress.

COTUS says Congress shall have the power to :
To coin money, regulate the value thereof, and of foreign coin, and fix the standard of weights and measures;

yet for a century money has been coined not by Congress, not by a federal agency, but by a privately owned bank we know as the Federal Reserve.

To declare war,
yet again we find ourselves embroiled in a war on the other side of the globe without a declaration of war from Congress.

Perhaps we should just put the 12 sitting Justices out to pasture and annoint Aaron from Poca, West by-God Virginia the sole interpreter of Constitutional law. Hmmm..........
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ohio county Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:48 pm

Perhaps we should just put the 12 sitting Justices out to pasture and annoint Aaron from Poca...

Well, we could do a lot worse. I'd rather see Justice Aaron from Poca than Justice Ruth Bader Meinhoff Ginsburg.
ohio county
ohio county

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephanie Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:58 pm

ohio county wrote:
Perhaps we should just put the 12 sitting Justices out to pasture and annoint Aaron from Poca...

Well, we could do a lot worse. I'd rather see Justice Aaron from Poca than Justice Ruth Bader Meinhoff Ginsburg.

Ugh. At least Ginsberg isn't alone in making these decisions. Plus, she's a lot older. It is unlikely we'd have to suffer through her as far out into the future as we would Aaron.

Stop trying to give me nightmares, Ohio.
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:33 pm

Stephanie wrote:You know I find it odd that people spend many years studying the law and our Constitution and issues are raised time and again before SCOTUS because of misinterpretations of COTUS and ambiguities in COTUS and yet some floor manager in a manufacturing plant from Poca, WV is convinced he has all of the answers.

To declare war, grant letters of marque and reprisal, and make rules concerning captures on land and water;

From those few words Aaron is convinced he knows precisely how and to who Congress has the authority to grant letters of marque and reprisal. Why do we even need SCOTUS any more?

To regulate commerce with foreign nations, and among the several states, and with the Indian tribes;
yet for years the President has been able to "fast track" trade negotiations and circumvent Congress.

COTUS says Congress shall have the power to :
To coin money, regulate the value thereof, and of foreign coin, and fix the standard of weights and measures;

yet for a century money has been coined not by Congress, not by a federal agency, but by a privately owned bank we know as the Federal Reserve.

To declare war,
yet again we find ourselves embroiled in a war on the other side of the globe without a declaration of war from Congress.

Perhaps we should just put the 12 sitting Justices out to pasture and annoint Aaron from Poca, West by-God Virginia the sole interpreter of Constitutional law. Hmmm..........

Four things in your hystrical rant there Steph. I'm not a floor manager, the plants not in Poca, it's "West byGAWD Virginia and all it takes is the ability to read and study on a subject and the ability to comprehend what you read.

Letters of Marque and Reprisal have not been addressed by the Supreme Court of the United States so you won't find case law or an opinion. However, if you do a little research there are opinions offered. This gentleman agrees with me.

Letters of Marque and Reprisal are grants of authority from Congress to private citizens, not the President. Their purpose is to expressly authorize seizure and forfeiture of goods by such citizens in the context of undeclared hostilities. Without such authorization, the citizen could be treated under international law as a pirate. Occasions where one's citizens undertake hostile activity can often entangle the larger sovereignty, and therefore, it was sensible for Congress to desire to have a regulatory check upon it. Authorizing Congress to moderate or oversee private action, however, says absolutely nothing about the President's responsibilities under the Constitution.

Douglas Kmiec, (then dean of the Columbus School of Law at the Catholic University of America) 2002

I understand why you don't get it. Rolling Eyes I don't understand why a self proclaimed constitutionaist doesn't. Maybe you should ask that question at your next meeting.

Cheers Stephie
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephanie Tue Jan 15, 2008 3:06 pm

OIC, when I disagree with you it's always a rant.

You're not a floor manager? I don't care what your job title is. I didn't say the manufacturing plant was in Poca, I said you are from Poca.

Douglas Kmiec is promoting his opinion on the intent of the founders regarding letters of marque and reprisal. What you fail to mention is that according to your own source, this is a minority opinion.

Ron Paul disagrees with Kmeic's opinion and that is all Kmeic has, an opinion. Until the matter is brought before SCOTUS (of which neither Kmeic or you are a member) this is certainly open for interpretation. Unless, that is, we are just supposed to skip all the formalities and let the dean of a law school make all of those decisions for us.
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Tue Jan 15, 2008 3:24 pm

Stephanie wrote:OIC, when I disagree with you it's always a rant.

You're not a floor manager? I don't care what your job title is. I didn't say the manufacturing plant was in Poca, I said you are from Poca.

Douglas Kmiec is promoting his opinion on the intent of the founders regarding letters of marque and reprisal. What you fail to mention is that according to your own source, this is a minority opinion.

Ron Paul disagrees with Kmeic's opinion and that is all Kmeic has, an opinion. Until the matter is brought before SCOTUS (of which neither Kmeic or you are a member) this is certainly open for interpretation. Unless, that is, we are just supposed to skip all the formalities and let the dean of a law school make all of those decisions for us.

It was a rant.

How is Kmeic's opinion in the minority? His and Dr. Paul's bill are the only legislation I could find on letters of Marque and Reprisal.

Considering Professor Kmeic graduate from law school, served as head office for legal counsel for 2 Presidents (Reagan and Bush I), is the former Dean and St. Thomas More Professor of the law school at The Catholic University of America (2000-2003).

With leaves for government service, Professor Kmiec was a member of the law faculty at the University of Notre Dame from 1980 to 1999. At Notre Dame, he directed the Thomas White Center on Law & Government and founded the Journal of Law, Ethics & Public Policy.

He has been a White House Fellow, a Distinguished Fulbright Scholar on the Constitution (in Asia), the inaugural Visiting Distinguished Scholar at the National Constitution Center (with Yale's Akhil Amar).

An honors graduate of Northwestern University, Professor Kmiec received his law degree from the University of Southern California, where he served on the Law Review and received the Legion Lex Commencement Prize for Legal Writing. He is a member of the bar of the U.S. Supreme Court and the state bars of Illinois and California.

His published work includes The Attorney General's Lawyer, three books on the American Constitution, a two-volume legal treatise, related books, and hundreds of published articles and essays. He is a frequent guest in the media on programs such as the NewsHour, Meet the Press,and NPR, analyzing constitutional, cultural, and political developments.

Following his CUA deanship, Professor Kmiec assumed the chair in constitutional law at Pepperdine University School of Law.

Given that he is one of the leading expert on the constitution, I believe I'd trust his opinion over Dr. Paul's, unless of course, it was my girlfriends innards that needed looking into. Smile
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:57 am

I'm still curious Stephanie as to how Dr. Paul’s opinion is supposed to be given more consideration then a recognized expert on the constitution. I’m also curious why Professor Kmiec’s opinion is in the minority.
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by ohio county Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:39 am

Hillary, Obama, and Edwards are having a mini disagreement concerning which is the true agent of change. Hillary went so far as to say her whole life has been devoted to making change as if she were running for head cashier. And there’s nothing specific about any of the spiels. Except maybe for Edwards who is going to wreak havoc on any entity that might be considered an agent of the Establishment.

On the other side, Huckabee is pandering to the evangelicals, McCain is telling what he perceives to be the truth, Giuliani is just biding his time in Florida, Fred Thompson occasionally awakens in a lucid frame of mind, and Romney is saying whatever the folks in the state he happens to be in want to hear.

Ron Paul is talking about liberty, adherence to the Constitution, abolition of the IRS and other government departments, and the proper role of the Congress. Talk about agents of change! And I don’t care what you think of Ron Paul: he is having the desired effect on the conversation. If he can limp into the convention with a couple hundred delegates he can affect the platform and he would have some influence at a brokered convention. His being there is positive for anybody who considers himself a conservative
ohio county
ohio county

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:01 am

It's not that I don't like Ron Paul Jimmy because I don't know the man. I do agree with many of his domestic policies and even agree on some foreign issues. I just think he's wrong on Iraq. I also think when it comes to many of his policy stances that he is at best, naïve.

I also have doubts about his ability when it comes to diplomacy which he seems to advocate. In regards to diplomacy, he would have to hire a very strong SOS as he has doesn't have a history or working well with others. I'm not trying to knock him but that's just how I see it. I base that on a couple of things.

First, he's gotten no major legislation that I am aware of passed in nearly 20 years of serving in Congress. And it's not like there aren't others that share the some of his views at least some issues like tax reform. Yet he’s not managed to get any major reforms passed. I find that troubling.

The second thing that I find troubling is Dr. Paul’s responses when someone disagrees with him. I've watched as many as the debates as possible since this election started. In addition, I've watched a lot of video on the internet. I've seen Paul on youtube, CNN, ABC and a ton of other programs and videos going back 20 years to an old Morton Downy Jr show.

Bear in mind that before this election, while I had read some old opinion articles on Lew Rockwell, I had never actually heard Paul speak. As I said, I’ve seen many videos of him during the past 6 months, probably more then any other candidate and what I find troubling is that Dr. Paul becomes very agitated and antagonistic when someone disagrees with him and he has a tendency to speak down to the offenders.

IMO, Dr. Paul has some serious issues when it comes to working with others and in dealing with those that disagree with him and I see both of those items as huge detriments in regards to carrying out the duties and responsibilities of the office of the President of the United States.

While I think he certainly steered the debate for a while, I just don't think that's the case anymore. Look at the number 1 topic voters are worried about now, the economy, and then look at what Dr. Paul said in the last debate in dealing with the economy, particularly that it was wrong for the government to introduce a stimulus package and that the fed should not be cutting interest rates. Now tell me, how is the government dealing with the economy and how does that fly with Dr. Paul’s recommendations?

None of that is what this conversation was about though. Ron Paul has introduced legislation to authorize the President to issue letters of Marque and Reprisal in an attempt to capture and/or kill OBL. I’ve stated that in unconstitutional, at which point Stephanie very strongly disagreed with me. I provided a link backing my opinion. Her response was to state it was a minority opinion that Ron Paul disagreed with. I pointed out that it is the opinion of a recognized Constitutional expert and have questioned her why Dr. Paul’s opinion should be given more weight then that of a recognized expert. She hasn’t answered yet.

I am interested in your thoughts on the proposed legislation, on letters of Marque and Reprisal and of the opinions expressed by both Dr. Paul and Professor Kmeic.
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by ohio county Thu Jan 17, 2008 12:09 pm

Thank you for the gentle reminder to stay on topic. Even if I post nothing else I'd stand by that post because I wanted to make the point (salient or not) that Paul's candidacy is having the effect I desire. My post was not an impassioned plea to vote for Ron Paul. That we are having this conversation at all is proof of his effectiveness.

With regard to letters of marque and reprisal, Article I, Section 8 gives Congress the right to grant them. It makes no mention to whom the letters can be issued. As Wikipedia told you there is some controversy with regard to whether the President can be involved or not. Mr. Kmiec has given a pretty definitive opinion that he is not. However, structurally speaking, the Congress legislates and the executive executes. It would have symmetry in an originalist sense that Congress issue the letters to the executive with whatever restrictions it deemed necessary. The executive would then issue the letters to the likeliest recipient within the confines of the Joint Resolution.

http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-bin/getdoc.cgi?dbname=107_cong_bills&docid=f:h3076ih.txt.pdf

That the concept was related to piracy is sort of clever, though, don’t you think?

But, even if Mr. Kmiec is correct (and he well may be), wouldn’t you want Congress to issue those letters?
ohio county
ohio county

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:40 pm

First Jimmy, I wasn't trying to prod you to stay on topic. The name of the thread is Ron Paul and foreign policy so in essence, you were on topic. As far as going off topic though, I'm probably the worst offender on the board. I'll go where the conversation leads and I don't have a problem if anyone else does. If I have a question, I'll ask it like I did with you.

To answer your question, I would like to see Congress do something positive besides give their voice away, which is all they've done since 2001. It seems to me that they don't want to take care of their responsibilities because they don't want to to be held accountable. It's easier to let GWB make the decisions and blame him then to make decisions themselves and shoulder the blame.

As for this act, while on the surface it might very well seem to be good, I think once you dig deeper, there are a few problems that arise after the President issues the letters.

SEC. 3. AUTHORITY OF PRESIDENT.
(a) The President of the United States is authorized and requested to commission, under officially issued letters of marque and reprisal, so many of privately armed and equipped persons and entities as, in his judgment, the service may require, with suitable instructions to the leaders thereof, to employ all means reasonably necessary to seize outside the geographic boundaries of the United States and its territories the person and property of Osama bin Laden, of any al Qaeda co-conspirator, and of any conspirator with Osama bin Laden and al Qaeda who are responsible for the air piratical aggressions and depredations perpetrated upon the United States of America on September 11, 2001, and for any planned future air piratical aggressions and depredations or other acts of war upon the United States of America and her people.

(b) The President of the United States is authorized to place a money bounty, drawn in his discretion from the $40,000,000,000 appropriated on September 14, 2001, in the Emergency Supplemental Appropriations Act for Recovery from and Response to Terrorists Attacks on the United States or from private sources, for the capture, alive or dead, of Osama bin Laden or any other al Qaeda conspirator responsible for the act of air piracy upon the United States on September 11, 2001, under the authority of any letter of marque or reprisal issued under this Act.

1) I don't see how a $40 Million dollar bounty is going to do any good when there is already a $25 Million bounty on OBL's head. So is this a bounty which we only pay after OBL is captured and/or killed or is it a contract that is paid in advance no matter what? Or do we pay expenses and then a bonus once OBL is captured/killed? What about other members of al Qaeda, is there a minimum amount for individuals or are all kills included in the same price?

2) What happens if we do contract private citizens and issue them letters of Marque and Reprisal and they go into a foreign country and are captured and/or killed? Do we as a nation respond or do we do nothing?

3) This legislation authorizes the bounty hunters "to employ all means reasonably necessary" to complete their mission. Who decides what "all means reasonably necessary" are and how do we tell if the bounty hunters went too far?

4) This legislation authorizes the bounty hunters to go "after al Qaeda co-conspirator, and of any conspirator with Osama bin Laden and al Qaeda who are responsible for the air piratical aggressions and depredations perpetrated upon the United States of America on September 11, 2001, and for any planned future air piratical aggressions and depredations or other acts of war upon the United States of America and her people." That's a lot of people. What happens if it's determined that the wife of a Saudi prince is one of these people?

How does this effect our diplomacy abroad if we have private bounty hunters going into nations doing lord knows what with no control over them? Look at the mess that Blackwater has gotten us into in Iraq and they are supposed to practice defensive measures only. So what happens if we give an outfit like that the authority to go where they please and practice offensive measures?

Like I said, on the surface, this may seem well and good but once you start digging, it creates more problems then it solves. IMO, this isn't very well thought out legislation as there in no accountability or oversight on the contracted bounty hunters and could possibly do more harm the GWB has done.

What I think needs to happen is that Congress has to come up with a way to authorize the President to do what Letters of Marque and Reprisal are intended to do but instead of contracting with private citizens, utilize American Armed Forces, which he can control and hold accountable. That would be the best solution, imo.
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by ohio county Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:07 am

Aaron, will you give me until tomorrow to answer you here? I take your questions seriously and want to answer but am a little tied up at the moment...
ohio county
ohio county

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:10 am

I'm in no hurry Jimmy.
Aaron
Aaron