WV Forum for News, Politics, and Sports
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Obama's foreign policy team.

2 posters

Go down

Obama's foreign policy team. Empty Obama's foreign policy team.

Post by Aaron Mon Dec 01, 2008 1:14 pm

No liberals to be found anywhere...

Obama announces Clinton, Gates for Cabinet
By LIZ SIDOTI, Associated Press Writer Liz Sidoti, Associated Press Writer 30 mins ago
CHICAGO – President-elect Barack Obama named former campaign rival Hillary Rodham Clinton as his secretary of statae on Monday, and announced Robert Gates would remain as defense secretary, making President Bush's Pentagon chief his own in the drive to wind down the U.S. role in Iraq.

At a news conference, Obama also introduced retired Marine Gen. James Jones as White House national security adviser, former Justice Department official Eric Holder as attorney general and Arizona Gov. Janet Napolitano as secretary of homeland security.

The announcements rounded out the top tier of the team that will advise the incoming chief executive on foreign and national security issues in an era marked by wars in Iraq and Afghanistan and terrorism around the globe.

"The time has come for a new beginning, a new dawn of American leadership to overcome the challenges of the 21st century," Obama said as his Cabinet picks stood behind him on a flag-draped stage.

"We will strengthen our capacity to defeat our enemies and support our friends. We will renew old alliances and forge new and enduring partnerships."

Obama said his appointees "share my pragmatism about the use of power, and my sense of purpose about America's role as a leader in the world."

"I assembled this team because I am a strong believer in strong personalities and strong opintions," he said. "I think that's how the best decisions are made. One of the dangers in a White House, based on my reading of history, is that you get wrapped up in group-think and everybody agrees with everything and there's no discussion and there are no dissenting views. So I am going to be welcoming a vigorous debate inside the White House.

"But understand, I will be setting policy as president. I will be responsible for the vision that this team carries out, and I will expect them to implement that vision once decisions are made."

source
Aaron
Aaron

Number of posts : 9841
Registration date : 2007-12-28

Back to top Go down

Obama's foreign policy team. Empty Re: Obama's foreign policy team.

Post by Aaron Mon Dec 01, 2008 1:17 pm

Liberals are upset. Donna Brazile said yesterday that she would like to see some 'left' leaning democrats appointed to cabinet positions. Others in the liberal community agree.

In one posting that seemed to echo in the Internet community, liberal blogger Chris Bowers wrote, "I feel incredibly frustrated. ... Isn't there ever a point when we can get an actual Democratic administration? Why isn't there a single member of Obama's Cabinet who will be advising him from the left?"

Christopher Hayes, the Washington-based editor of The Nation, offered his own lament about a lack of progressive candidates for prominent leadership spots. He said the left has been right about Iraq, financial deregulation and global warming, and yet "no one who comes from the part of American political and intellectual life that has given birth to all of these ideas is anywhere to be found within miles of the Obama Cabinet so far."

But Obama wants "smart" people in key positions.

Obama says the challenges are simply too huge for the politics of labels; Democrats and Republicans must work together. Pragmatism rules.

"I think what the American people want more than anything is just common sense, smart government," he said. "They don't want ideology."

Could that be why he's made the choices he has?
Aaron
Aaron

Number of posts : 9841

Back to top Go down

Post by ohio county Mon Dec 01, 2008 3:43 pm

Sheik, I hear they're touting Todd Stroger as Obama's replacement in the Senate. Did you hear that?
ohio county
ohio county

Number of posts : 3207

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down