WV Forum for News, Politics, and Sports
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Two more states return to reliable paper ballots

5 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Two more states return to reliable paper ballots Empty Two more states return to reliable paper ballots

Post by sodbuster Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:08 am

http://wvgazette.com/News/politics/200810300890

Well it looks like two more states have seen the light and chosen accuracy and accountability over speed when it comes to election ballots.

sodbuster

Number of posts : 1890
Registration date : 2008-09-05

Back to top Go down

Two more states return to reliable paper ballots Empty Re: Two more states return to reliable paper ballots

Post by ziggy Fri Oct 31, 2008 10:20 am

Both of those are states that used electronic voting machines WITHOUT a voter verifiable paper trail.
ziggy
ziggy

Number of posts : 5731
Registration date : 2007-12-28

Back to top Go down

Two more states return to reliable paper ballots Empty Re: Two more states return to reliable paper ballots

Post by Aaron Fri Oct 31, 2008 10:25 am

So if West Virginia is using a machine with a printed paper of each vote, we are doing just what Sherman wants in that we're using a paper ballot, right Frank!

Very Happy
Aaron
Aaron

Number of posts : 9841

Back to top Go down

Post by ziggy Fri Oct 31, 2008 10:28 am

Yes, I do think so, Aaron.
ziggy
ziggy

Back to top Go down

Post by sodbuster Fri Oct 31, 2008 10:44 am

Well I was listening on the radio last night and they said the machines can be programmed to switch say every tenth vote from Dem to Republican.

Or every 50th vote.

Or whatever percentage you want.

So the paper trail would also just record whatever the machine electronically recorded.

So then they can just pull out their "paper trail" and just say well boys here it is we were right and here is the paper trail to prove it.

Just look and see for yourselves.

So then you just go away scratching your head wondering how did that happen.

sodbuster

Back to top Go down

Post by ziggy Fri Oct 31, 2008 11:15 am

So the paper trail would also just record whatever the machine electronically recorded.

So then they can just pull out their "paper trail" and just say well boys here it is we were right and here is the paper trail to prove it.

That is the whole idea of a voter verifiable paper trail, Sodbuster- for the voter to confirm what the machine is recording, right there in black and white- BEFORE the voter clicks the button to finally confirm and record his / her votes.

And then during the canvass some percentage of the paper trail record is compared to the electronic tabulation. If those are not consistent, then a recount of the whole county is required. To my knowledge, there has never been any inconsistency between the votes as recorded electronically and as recorded on the voter verifiable paper trail. The key to being secure with your vote is to verify that the visible paper record says what the voter wants to vote, and as shown on the voter machine screen.

I think it is a hell of a lot more secure than election officials transporting and storing boxes of paper ballots that can be easily added to, subtracted from, exchanged for other ballots, etc.
ziggy
ziggy

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Fri Oct 31, 2008 11:38 am

ziggy wrote:
I think it is a hell of a lot more secure than election officials transporting and storing boxes of paper ballots that can be easily added to, subtracted from, exchanged for other ballots, etc.

Or found at the last minute such as the ballots from out Sissonville, which has always been a backwards place full of undesirables and whatnot's by the way, during the election over gambling.
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by ohio county Fri Oct 31, 2008 11:43 am

Sissonvillian Shana Cowley did not look undesirable.
ohio county
ohio county

Number of posts : 3207

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Fri Oct 31, 2008 11:51 am

That was a sad incident indeed Jimmy.
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by sodbuster Fri Oct 31, 2008 11:52 am

Well I dont know if you know aaron but that is my hometown.

Well I didnt have a hometown I had a homeholler.

But I went to Sissonville schools.

sodbuster

Back to top Go down

Post by ohio county Fri Oct 31, 2008 11:56 am

Not just because she was pretty - but just any time a kid of 22 gets killed it is sad.
ohio county
ohio county

Number of posts : 3207

Back to top Go down

Post by ziggy Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:30 pm

sodbuster wrote:Well I dont know if you know aaron but that is my hometown.

He knows it. That's why he posts gratituous insults about Sissonville from time to time. But he can't help it. It's been a learned tradition with uncouth Pocaians since before Aaron was born ....................................
ziggy
ziggy

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephanie Fri Oct 31, 2008 10:28 pm

I read stuff like that and don't want to ever let my kids out of the house.
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Number of posts : 6556

https://gazzfriends.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Sun Nov 02, 2008 8:23 am

I'm not a Pocian Frank. I'm a Hamlinite.

My children are Pocians.

And you can let your kiddies out Steph. Buffaloians aren't that far down on the ladder.

Very Happy
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by ziggy Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:50 am

I'm not a Pocian Frank. I'm a Hamlinite.

The people I've met from Linclon County are good people. Dad use to buy and trade cattle with some fellow- I forget his name- over behind Yawkey. He said that fellow was the only honest cow trader he had ever known.
ziggy
ziggy

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:47 pm

ziggy wrote:
sodbuster wrote:Well I dont know if you know aaron but that is my hometown.

He knows it. That's why he posts gratituous insults about Sissonville from time to time. But he can't help it. It's been a learned tradition with uncouth Pocaians since before Aaron was born ....................................

I missed this one. My first interactions, besides basic training with a fellar from Sissonville was with my ex wife, who as are you and Sherman, a former resident of Sissonville.
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by sodbuster Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:30 pm

Well Aaron as you probably know, that area is maybe the most republican area around these parts.

Why I don't know.

But northern Kanawha and southern Jackson are just infested with republicans.

sodbuster

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephanie Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:57 pm

sodbuster wrote:But northern Kanawha and southern Jackson are just infested with republicans.

It's good to see you keeping up that bipartisan spirit for the good of Old Glory and all.
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ziggy Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:05 pm

Stephanie wrote:
sodbuster wrote:But northern Kanawha and southern Jackson are just infested with republicans.

It's good to see you keeping up that bipartisan spirit for the good of Old Glory and all.

Well Stephanie, Aaron has been bashing Sissonville folks for all the time he's been on these forums. And only now do we realize why- because his ex-wife was from Sissonville. And this is the politics part of the forum. Sodbuster was just taking the discussion from Aaron's personal life back to politics. And northern Kanawha and southern Jackson counties ARE infested with Republicans. My dad said it was because Democratic babies born in those areas just weren't allowed to live. And so it was just political attrition .....................
ziggy
ziggy

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:32 pm

ziggy wrote:
Well Stephanie, Aaron has been bashing Sissonville folks for all the time he's been on these forums.

Oh, I don't know if I would call it bashing Frank as it's all in relative good humor. And it's not like everyone from that area is all bad. I have met one or two decent folks from out Sissonville way.

I went to basic with a fellar by the name of Beane and he was an all around good guy and I did have a driver that lived out that way (although he was transplanted from Buffalo) and there's been a few others that aren't all bad. So what's your point?

ziggy wrote:And only now do we realize why- because his ex-wife was from Sissonville.

That's not true Frank. My ex went to school out there for two years so she's not really a Sissonvillian. She's from around Hampshire drive so if she's anthing, it's a west sider.

My bashing is related to my kids being Pocian's and derives mostly from sporting events. Other then Winfieldians, I know of no bigger bunch of whine assess then those fine folks from out Sissonvie way.

ziggy wrote:And this is the politics part of the forum.

My original post was political

ziggy wrote:Sodbuster was just taking the discussion from Aaron's personal life back to politics.

So it must only be fine, upstanding citizens that withhold ballot boxes, right Frank. After all, that's where the comment came from.

Aaron wrote:
Or found at the last minute such as the ballots from out Sissonville, which has always been a backwards place full of undesirables and whatnot's by the way, during the election over gambling.

ziggy wrote:And northern Kanawha and southern Jackson counties ARE infested with Republicans. My dad said it was because Democratic babies born in those areas just weren't allowed to live. And so it was just political attrition .....................

So Sissonville may not be such a bad place after all.

Still, all and allI were going to live northern Kanawha, southern Jackson area, it would be in the area my GGG(I'm not sure how many greats) grandfather settled, not Sissovnille.
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephanie Tue Nov 11, 2008 7:50 pm

Ziggy,

Sherm's posts about conservatives, Republicans in particular, continue to grow increasingly mean-spirited. You can spin what he said however you like, but I think his words speak for themselves.
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sodbuster Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:06 pm

I am not mean spirited at all Stephanie.

You just have a chip on your shoulder.

sodbuster

Back to top Go down

Post by ziggy Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:41 pm

Stephanie wrote:Ziggy,

Sherm's posts about conservatives, Republicans in particular, continue to grow increasingly mean-spirited. You can spin what he said however you like, but I think his words speak for themselves.

I have not said otherwise, Stephanie.

I think that is exactly what he intends- that his words speak for themselves- just as all our words here do.
ziggy
ziggy

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephanie Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:36 am

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/infest

inˇfest (n-fst)
tr.v. inˇfestˇed, inˇfestˇing, inˇfests
1. To inhabit or overrun in numbers or quantities large enough to be harmful, threatening, or obnoxious: rats infesting the sewers; streets that were infested with drugs.
2. To live as a parasite in or on: livestock that were infested with tapeworms.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Middle English infesten, to distress, from Old French infester, from Latin nfestre, from nfestus, hostile; see gwhedh- in Indo-European roots.]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

infesˇtation n.
inˇfester n.

infest
Verb
to inhabit or overrun (a place, plant, etc.) in unpleasantly large numbers: the area was infested with moles [Latin infestare to molest]
infestation n
ThesaurusLegend: Synonyms Related Words Antonyms
Verb 1. infest - invade in great numbers; "the roaches infested our kitchen"
overrun
invade, occupy - march aggressively into another's territory by military force for the purposes of conquest and occupation; "Hitler invaded Poland on September 1, 1939"
2. infest - occupy in large numbers or live on a host; "the Kudzu plant infests much of the South and is spreading to the North"
overrun, invade
inhabit - be present in; "sweet memories inhabit this house"
3. infest - live on or in a host, as of parasites
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ziggy Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:39 am

Oh come on, Stephanie. Have you no sense of political humor?
ziggy
ziggy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next