WV Forum for News, Politics, and Sports
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UK Organ Donation Controversy Barely Noticed by US Old Media

2 posters

Go down

UK Organ Donation Controversy Barely Noticed by US Old Media Empty UK Organ Donation Controversy Barely Noticed by US Old Media

Post by Keli Sun Jan 20, 2008 5:34 pm

UK Organ Donation Controversy Barely Noticed by US Old Media

By Tom Blumer | January 20, 2008 - 11:50 ET

About a week ago, British Prime Minister Gordon Brown suggested in a UK Telegraph column that allowing hospitals to harvest organs from dead patients without their prior consent or their families' post-mortem consent might be a good idea.

Mr. Brown's occasion for bringing up the topic was telling, and perhaps explains why Brown's proposal got very little coverage in the US:

This year will be the 60th anniversary of the National Health Service: a year to celebrate and thank all the staff who run our hospitals, clinics and GP practices; but also a year in which to renew the NHS for the 21st century, because I believe that only by renewal can we make the NHS even more relevant for future decades than it has been in the past.

..... we may need to do more to encourage more of us to donate (organs. In Britain we have 14.9 million people on the organ donor register - which is around 24 per cent of the population. In terms of actual donors (not just people willing to give, but those whose organs are actually used) we have a rate of about 13 donors per million in our population. This compares with about 22 per million in France, 25 per million in America and around 35 per million in Spain - the best in the world.

Should the assumption be made that the deceased wanted to be an organ donor? Do you think that if doctors here had this power to harvest that they might just hasten the person's demise? Should Terri Schiavo's organs been taken--since she didn't say to not take them? Should a Muslim be able to say, "Don't give my organs to a Jew?"
Keli
Keli

Number of posts : 3608
Location : Zarr Chasm, WV--between Flotsam and Belch on the Cheat River
Registration date : 2007-12-28

Back to top Go down

UK Organ Donation Controversy Barely Noticed by US Old Media Empty Re: UK Organ Donation Controversy Barely Noticed by US Old Media

Post by TerryRC Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:35 am

It was all over the news last week.

I would hate to see that happen here.

Link health care and government, however, and I fail to see how we could stop it.

TerryRC

Number of posts : 2762
Registration date : 2008-01-05

Back to top Go down