WV Forum for News, Politics, and Sports
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dems Target Private Retirement Accounts

+4
ziggy
Aaron
sodbuster
Ich bin Ala-awkbarph
8 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Dems Target Private Retirement Accounts Empty Dems Target Private Retirement Accounts

Post by Ich bin Ala-awkbarph Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:12 pm

Dems Target Private Retirement Accounts
carolinajournal.com ^ | 11/4/08 | Karen McMahan

RALEIGH — Democrats in the U.S. House have been conducting hearings on proposals to confiscate workers’ personal retirement accounts — including 401(k)s and IRAs — and convert them to accounts managed by the Social Security Administration.

Triggered by the financial crisis the past two months, the hearings reportedly were meant to stem losses incurred by many workers and retirees whose 401(k) and IRA balances have been shrinking rapidly.

The testimony of Teresa Ghilarducci, professor of economic policy analysis at the New School for Social Research in New York, in hearings Oct. 7 drew the most attention and criticism. Testifying for the House Committee on Education and Labor, Ghilarducci proposed that the government eliminate tax breaks for 401(k) and similar retirement accounts, such as IRAs, and confiscate workers’ retirement plan accounts and convert them to universal Guaranteed Retirement Accounts (GRAs) managed by the Social Security Administration.

(Excerpt) Read more at carolinajournal.com ...
Ich bin Ala-awkbarph
Ich bin Ala-awkbarph

Number of posts : 2310
Registration date : 2008-01-28

Back to top Go down

Dems Target Private Retirement Accounts Empty Re: Dems Target Private Retirement Accounts

Post by sodbuster Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:20 am

Well IRA's and 401K's have really taken a hit with the stock mkt. the past few years.

Most people would probably be better off in a program such as you describe.

sodbuster

Number of posts : 1890
Registration date : 2008-09-05

Back to top Go down

Dems Target Private Retirement Accounts Empty Re: Dems Target Private Retirement Accounts

Post by Ich bin Ala-awkbarph Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:59 am

sodbuster wrote:Well IRA's and 401K's have really taken a hit with the stock mkt. the past few years.

Yeah...Democrat government did such a great job managing Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae that I am certain that they would do a great job with my money.
Ich bin Ala-awkbarph
Ich bin Ala-awkbarph

Back to top Go down

Post by sodbuster Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:04 am

If you had a $100K Ira when Pres. Bush took office, what do you think it would be worth now, Terri?

Compare that to what it would have been worth after 8 years of Clinton.

Then get back with me ok...

sodbuster

Back to top Go down

Post by Ich bin Ala-awkbarph Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:28 am

sodbuster wrote:If you had a $100K Ira when Pres. Bush took office, what do you think it would be worth now, Terri?

What will it be worth when Obamessiah gives me 2%/year? How long will it be before the O decides that what I have in my IRA and 401K should be taken from my Social Security--so that illegal aliens like his awnt can live off of American taxpayers??
Ich bin Ala-awkbarph
Ich bin Ala-awkbarph

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:29 am

sodbuster wrote:If you had a $100K Ira when Pres. Bush took office, what do you think it would be worth now, Terri?

But at least he had control over where and how HIS money was spent.
Aaron
Aaron

Number of posts : 9841
Registration date : 2007-12-28

Back to top Go down

Post by sodbuster Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:51 am

Wel Aaron it is comparable to the deal with the Teachers Retirement System here in WV.

They had a defined benefit system where they knew exactly what they would get.

Then the so-called financial whiz kids convinced a bunch of them they would be better off managing their own money.

So the state set up a new system for the "free spirits".

And then after they lost their ass in the stock mkt. they wanted their money back and a chance to go back into the old system.

sodbuster

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:08 am

And they should have been told no, they can't go back in the state funded retirement system because as you say, they knew what they were getting.

But the teachers union barked and Manchin and the legislature cowed before them and allowed them back in.

I'm glad you agree with me that it was the wrong thing to do and that people should be responsible for their own actions.
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by ziggy Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:35 pm

Armon Ayers wrote:
sodbuster wrote:Well IRA's and 401K's have really taken a hit with the stock mkt. the past few years.

Yeah...Democrat government did such a great job managing Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae that I am certain that they would do a great job with my money.

Government did not manage Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae any more than it does any other corporations. All corporations are the product of public laws that allow their creation.
ziggy
ziggy

Number of posts : 5731

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephanie Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:09 pm

ziggy wrote:
Armon Ayers wrote:

Government did not manage Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae any more than it does any other corporations. All corporations are the product of public laws that allow their creation.

Now that's not true Ziggy. They are not government agencies, but they aren't private corporations either. I'm reasonably certain they are quasi-government agencies and at the very least it is fair to say that Congress has quite a bit of authority over Fannie and Freddie. Of course, when Barney Franks and Maxine Waters & Co. lie and deceive the public and defend and protect the theives running those agencies, obviously there are going to be major problems.

The government has no right to seize private retirement accounts. Instead, why not seize the accounts of the people who treated Fannie and Freddie like their own private slush funds. Go after Raines and Gorelick and the rest of them, take their money and use the proceeds to compensate their victims, the US taxpayers.
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Number of posts : 6556

https://gazzfriends.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ziggy Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:51 pm

That is just your perception of it, Stephanie. And that is what it is about- perceptions- perceptions leading to a feeling of financial confidernce.

Some of the GSEs, such as Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, were privately owned but publicly chartered; others, such as the Federal Home Loan Banks, are owned by the corporations that use their services. Their lenders grant them favorable interest rates, and the buyers of their securities offer them high prices, as the implicit involvement of the Federal government gives them a sense of financial security.

In fact, GSE securities carry no explicit government guarantee.[1] In 2001 the then-director of the Congressional Budget Office, Dan L. Crippen, testifed before Congress that the "debt and mortgage-backed securities of GSEs are more valuable to investors than similar private securities because of the perception of a government guarantee. . . ."[2] This perception has allowed Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac to save billions in borrowing costs. Estimates by the Congressional Budget Office and the Treasury Department put the figure at about $2 billion per year [3].

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Government_sponsored_enterprise

(bold emphasis added- Ziggy)
ziggy
ziggy

Back to top Go down

Post by ohio county Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:40 am

They have purged themselves to throw us off the track but the Board of Directors was full of former Clinton administration officials. We've printed the list here many times. It included Franklin Raines, Jamie Gorelick, Rahm Emmanuel, and Louis Freeh. Those former Board members made over $100 million in bonuses alone.

You neglected to supply a definition of a GSE: Government Sponsored Enterprise.
ohio county
ohio county

Number of posts : 3207

Back to top Go down

Post by sodbuster Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:07 am

Anyhow does anyone know any details or how the new IRA/401K deal would work?

Is the purpose to prevent a clustercoitus like they had in TRS?

I think it might be a good thing, especially for people like me who would like to protect their retirement funds from something like we have seen the last few years in the stock mkt.

I mean people who are real near retirement and cant just let the mkt take care of things over a 20 or 30 year time frame.

sodbuster

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:33 am

If you didn't have faith in the private stock market Sherman, why didn't you invest in government bonds?
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by SamCogar Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:05 am

sodbuster wrote:Wel Aaron it is comparable to the deal with the Teachers Retirement System here in WV.

They had a defined benefit system where they knew exactly what they would get.

Then the so-called financial whiz kids convinced a bunch of them they would be better off managing their own money.

So the state set up a new system for the "free spirits".

And then after they lost their ass in the stock mkt. they wanted their money back and a chance to go back into the old system.

Sherman, anyone who would knowingly and intentionally post such devious untruthful crap as you just did ....... should have their f'ing knuckles broken with a 2-lb hammer.

Dems Target Private Retirement Accounts 248524 Dems Target Private Retirement Accounts 248524 Dems Target Private Retirement Accounts 248524

SamCogar

Number of posts : 6238

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephanie Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:53 am

ohio county wrote:They have purged themselves to throw us off the track but the Board of Directors was full of former Clinton administration officials. We've printed the list here many times. It included Franklin Raines, Jamie Gorelick, Rahm Emmanuel, and Louis Freeh. Those former Board members made over $100 million in bonuses alone.

Ah, once again the gentleman from Ohio County nails it!
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ohio county Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:03 am

I first mentioned this back in July: https://gazzfriends.forumotion.com/national-politics-f6/the-dog-that-did-not-bark-t1235.htm

It was dormant until September when I resurrected it. Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac are political animals and riddled with ineptitude and greed and scandal.
ohio county
ohio county

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephanie Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:12 am

We all would be wise to pay more attention to your posts, I think.
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ohio county Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:20 am

Me too.
ohio county
ohio county

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephanie Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:36 am

lol
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ziggy Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:54 am

Every corporation is a government sponsored emterprise. Corporations exists- all corporations- exist only as government chartered, or sponsored, entities.
ziggy
ziggy

Back to top Go down

Post by ohio county Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:12 pm

What? So the term "GSE" is a common one that applies to all corporations? No. I'll grant you that LBJ privatized Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae but, to my knowledge, they are the only corporations chartered as Government Sponsored Enterprises. The tacit understanding is that the taxpayers ultimately back them up which sure looks legit to me.
ohio county
ohio county

Back to top Go down

Post by ohio county Wed Nov 12, 2008 5:20 pm

This is not good news: http://www.connpost.com/ci_10917987?source=rss The coming downturn looks to be protracted and dismal. The perps are being put back in charge.
ohio county
ohio county

Back to top Go down

Post by sodbuster Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:54 pm

Well steph and OC is that the main concern?

Who to blame this mess on?

I suspect you are wrong but I dont care if you are or not.

My concern is how to get out of this mess and/or how to keep it from getting worse.

Even if you are right we still have a problem.

And if people's retirement accounts can be protected from further erosion I think it would be good.

sodbuster

Back to top Go down

Post by ziggy Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:10 pm

I'll grant you that LBJ privatized Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae but, to my knowledge, they are the only corporations chartered as Government Sponsored Enterprises. The tacit understanding is that the taxpayers ultimately back them up which sure looks legit to me.

What specific tacit understanding?

The "tacit understanding" is that a whole big bunch of corporations are being backed up by the taxpayers, i.e.- AIG and other financial service companies, and now probably GM and maybe other automakers.
ziggy
ziggy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next