WV Forum for News, Politics, and Sports
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Muslim Academic Questions Muhammad's Existence

3 posters

Go down

Muslim Academic Questions Muhammad's Existence Empty Muslim Academic Questions Muhammad's Existence

Post by Keli Sat Nov 15, 2008 10:31 am

Excerpt: Muslim Academic Questions Muhammad's Existence
Wall Street Journal ^ | November 14, 2008 | Muhammad Kalisch

Up to some time ago I was convinced that Muhammad was a historical figure. Although I always based my thinking on the assumption that the Islamic historical narrative regarding Muhammad was very unreliable, I had no doubts that at least the basic lines of his biography were historically correct.

I have now moved away from this position and will soon publish a book in which I will, among other things, comment on this question and explain my arguments in more detail. This essay is only a short summary of my most important arguments. It also deals with the question of what implications historical-critical research has for the Islamic theory and how I deal with my research results as a theologian.

With regard to the historical existence of Muhammad ... I consider my position simply as a continuation of the most recent research results. It appears so spectacular only because it has been said by a Muslim ... Most Western scientists turn down such an hypotheses out of respect for Islam or because they are afraid of the reactions of their Muslim friends or because they think it is speculative nonsense.

The word "respect" sounds wonderful but it is completely inappropriate here because one really refers to the opposite. Whoever thinks that Muslims can't deal with facts puts Muslims on the same level as small children who can't think and decide for themselves and whose illusions of Santa Claus or the Easter Bunny one doesn't want to destroy.

(Excerpt) Read more at online.wsj.com ...

I think someone is not going to get his 72 virgins.
Keli
Keli

Number of posts : 3608
Location : Zarr Chasm, WV--between Flotsam and Belch on the Cheat River
Registration date : 2007-12-28

Back to top Go down

Muslim Academic Questions Muhammad's Existence Empty Re: Muslim Academic Questions Muhammad's Existence

Post by ziggy Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:33 pm

Will the real Jesus of the many "Christian" cults please stand up?
ziggy
ziggy

Number of posts : 5731

Back to top Go down

Muslim Academic Questions Muhammad's Existence Empty Re: Muslim Academic Questions Muhammad's Existence

Post by Keli Sat Nov 15, 2008 1:25 pm

ziggy wrote:Will the real Jesus of the many "Christian" cults please stand up?

He did. However, He is now seated at the right hand of Majesty in Heaven. I hope you see Him there someday.
Keli
Keli

Back to top Go down

Post by bmd Sat Nov 15, 2008 1:26 pm

Keli wrote:
ziggy wrote:Will the real Jesus of the many "Christian" cults please stand up?

He did. However, He is now seated at the right hand of Majesty in Heaven. I hope you see Him there someday.

Is he eating pasta?
bmd
bmd

Number of posts : 804
Registration date : 2008-10-11

http://www.venganza.org/

Back to top Go down

Post by Keli Sat Nov 15, 2008 9:29 pm

What's the over/under on this guy's life span?
Keli
Keli

Back to top Go down

Post by bmd Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:02 am

Maybe they'll just put him under house arrest for 359 years.
bmd
bmd

Number of posts : 804
Registration date : 2008-10-11

http://www.venganza.org/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down