WV Forum for News, Politics, and Sports
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rangel wrangles moolah for son.

+2
sodbuster
Ich bin Ala-awkbarph
6 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Rangel wrangles moolah for son. - Page 2 Empty Re: Rangel wrangles moolah for son.

Post by Stephanie Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:10 pm

Rangel failed to report at least $75000 of his income. That's tax evasion. That means he didn't pay his share of what he and his colleagues require the rest of us to pay.

I don't know why you'd find that acceptable.
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Number of posts : 6556
Registration date : 2007-12-28

https://gazzfriends.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Rangel wrangles moolah for son. - Page 2 Empty Re: Rangel wrangles moolah for son.

Post by ohio county Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:37 am

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB122902161394098863.html?mod=googlenews_wsj

Don't look it up. Somebody else will always do that for you. It ain't Bloomberg but they do have a similar black background...
ohio county
ohio county

Number of posts : 3207

Back to top Go down

Post by sodbuster Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:52 am

Well oc I didnt see anything new in that article.

Just a re-hash of various accusations and rumors.

I have been trying to come up with some details on the accusations but, like Stephanie, I am hampered by a very slow dial-up connection.

So be patient with me ok.

Soon as I dig up some exculpatory info I will share it.

sodbuster

Number of posts : 1890
Registration date : 2008-09-05

Back to top Go down

Post by ohio county Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:56 am

Okay, thirty-six hours ago you were acting like you'd never heard of this before. Do you also have dial-up TV?
ohio county
ohio county

Back to top Go down

Post by sodbuster Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:25 am

That was randy cunningham that I couldnt remember, not Rangel.

And I did remember the Cunningham/Abrahamoff mess, I just had forgotten the "Dukester's" name was Cunningham.

But soon as I googled Randall Cunningham the whole sordid episode came back to me.

It was really sad to me that someone of his background could be compromised by his cohorts like that, but I know peer pressure can be a subtle and powerful factor many times and people can be taken in who should know better.

"Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely."

So I guess it might be a good thing right now that Republicans control the Supreme Court, since the Dems control the Congress and the Executive branch.

(but if you quote me on that I will deny ever saying it, lol.)

sodbuster

Back to top Go down

Post by ohio county Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:30 am

Compromised by his cohorts? He sold his office. I have no sympathy. He's a crook.

Do we hold our leaders to a different standard than the rest of us?

The best thing I can say about Duke Cunningham? He's not much worse than Jack Murtha.
ohio county
ohio county

Back to top Go down

Post by sodbuster Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:59 am

Well the guy's life is ruined, he is 60 some years old and how long has he already been in jail?

I think it is highly unlikely he will ever compromise himself again.

I would rather see him working and paying taxes.

(course with the mess the economy is in it will be hard for him to find a job.)

sodbuster

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephanie Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:03 am

Nobody held a gun to that jerk's head. You are familiar with the concept of free will, aren't you?
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ohio county Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:06 am

He's got a job in the prison cafeteria. Why put him at risk? Why reward him for selling his office? I didn't ruin his life. He did.

You're a funny duck: a crooked Congressman should be sprung from prison, the chairman of the House Ways and Means Committee cheats on his taxes and you think that's okay. Have you never known any police officers?
ohio county
ohio county

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:17 am

He sold his office for 2.4 Million and was ordered to pay restitution of 1.6 million. I doubt he needs to work.
Aaron
Aaron

Number of posts : 9841

Back to top Go down

Post by sodbuster Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:43 am

ohio county wrote:He's got a job in the prison cafeteria. Why put him at risk? Why reward him for selling his office? I didn't ruin his life. He did.

You're a funny duck: a crooked Congressman should be sprung from prison, the chairman of the House Ways and Means Committee cheats on his taxes and you think that's okay. Have you never known any police officers?

Well I think it is premature to conclude that the House W&M chairman "cheated" on his taxes.

So it it b.s. to say that I would condone that.

As far as the "crooked Congressman" you have a better argument.

But I see no reason why he should not be diverted into another method of restriction.

Such as home confinement, etc.

He is taking up valuable jail space.

On home confinement he would be required to foot the bill.

I do not believe the legal system should be primarily vindictive.

If he is no danger to society nor apt to commit another crime, I think he should be placed in the least restrictive environment and allowed to make amends insofar as he can.

sodbuster

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephanie Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:15 am

If your worried about crowded prisons and the cost to taxpayers why not eliminate all the stupid laws on the books about victimless crimes and laws that force people with medical conditions into the legal system?

Why not make guys like the Duke pay for their imprisonment? You're correct, we shouldn't have to pay to incarcerate him if he can foot the bill himself.
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ziggy Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:42 am

ohio county wrote:Compromised by his cohorts? He sold his office. I have no sympathy. He's a crook.

Do we hold our leaders to a different standard than the rest of us?

Do we? Should we? If so, why?

And if not, why not?
ziggy
ziggy

Number of posts : 5731

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:29 am

ziggy wrote:If so, why?

And if not, why not?

Why don't you pick one side of the argument and make a case instead of straddling the fence. One of these days you're gonna slip and bust your balls good.
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by ziggy Sat Dec 13, 2008 2:37 am

Well, the trouble is that they are caught and all tied up on the top of that fence, and so I am afraid to move.
ziggy
ziggy

Number of posts : 5731

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:24 am

We are all fallible but we still have the personal responsibility to act in a honest, ethical manner. Our politicians are no different thus they should not be treated any differently.
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2