WV Forum for News, Politics, and Sports
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Caroline vs Sarah

+7
Keli
ziggy
SamCogar
Randall
Stephanie
bmd
Ich bin Ala-awkbarph
11 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Caroline vs Sarah Empty Caroline vs Sarah

Post by Ich bin Ala-awkbarph Sun Dec 28, 2008 3:04 am

Kennedy, Palin treatment evidence of cultural divide
By JONAH GOLDBERG
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/editorial/outlook/6172370.html

For people who think there's no cultural divide in this country, consider the treatment of two women much in the news in 2008.

The first is Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin. A woman from very humble roots and with a very blue-collar life story, she worked with her steelworker and professional-fisherman husband to provide a life for their large family. She got involved in the PTA. She became mayor of her small town, then rose, by dint of her dedication and almost naive fearlessness, to the job of governor. In a mainstream, almost romantic sense, it's almost like she was designed by God for a Hallmark movie of the week.

But, when John McCain picked her to be his running mate, the full fury of the liberal establishment — and sizable swaths of the conservative establishment, some of whom dubbed her a "cancer" on the GOP — came down on her with a vengeance usually reserved for Klansmen and pedophiles. Don't get me wrong: There were valid criticisms to make. But that is quite a different thing than saying all of the criticism was valid or that the intensity and volume of the criticism was warranted.

Then there's Caroline Bouvier Kennedy, daughter of John F. Kennedy, brother of John Jr., niece of Sens. Ted and Robert Kennedy, granddaughter of Ambassador Joseph Kennedy, and the cousin of myriad other Kennedys and Shrivers who've burrowed deep into the timber of the house of liberalism. A multimillionaire from birth, Kennedy has spent most of her life on the charity-benefit and cotillion circuit. A product of the Brearley School in New York and the Concord Academy in Massachusetts before she attended Harvard and Columbia, Kennedy has made the importance of public education her signature cause.

Sweet Caroline (she was the inspiration for the Neil Diamond song) recently made it known that she would like to be appointed to Hillary Clinton's vacant Senate seat.

One could say without fear of overstating things that the liberal reaction to the inexperienced Caroline has been somewhat more gracious than the reaction to the "inexperienced" Palin. Ruth Marcus of the Washington Post has devoted two columns in as many weeks to this "fairy tale" scenario in which Kennedy, our "tragic national princess," is finally rewarded — for her years of quiet dignity, selflessly avoiding scandal and the paparazzi — with the Senate seat that once belonged to her uncle Bobby. What's astounding about the normally sensible Marcus' case for "the Cinderella Kennedy" (New York magazine's phrase) is that she doesn't really make one, at least not on the merits. Marcus doesn't even bother. It's all schoolgirl gushing.

The editors of The New York Times, in a more skeptical editorial, summarized her qualifications thusly: "Ms. Kennedy has much going for her. As a public figure, she carries the glamour and poignancy of her family ... " The editors then went on to describe what great liberals her dad and uncles were. That's it.

Here's a news flash: Not everyone truckles with doe-eyed awe at "America's royal family." Some of us don't even like the idea of American royal families. JFK and RFK had their good points, but they don't deserve the beatification they receive on a daily basis. As a man, Teddy Kennedy is hardly a role model, and as a public servant he's not much better. I, for one, don't think denying poor black kids private-school scholarships (aka vouchers) is heroic. Nor do I think his support for alternative energy, except when it might obstruct his Hyannis Port estate's views with windmills, is admirable.

Simply, the Kennedy clan is no priestly caste, serving as the conscience of the nation, and its progeny do not deserve eternal deference.
Ich bin Ala-awkbarph
Ich bin Ala-awkbarph

Number of posts : 2310
Registration date : 2008-01-28

Back to top Go down

Caroline vs Sarah Empty Re: Caroline vs Sarah

Post by bmd Sun Dec 28, 2008 3:32 am

Maybe Palin can get her daughter's mother-in-law to help her with prison reform and the methamphetamine problem.
bmd
bmd

Number of posts : 804
Registration date : 2008-10-11

http://www.venganza.org/

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephanie Sun Dec 28, 2008 9:48 am

You see how crazy it makes them that a woman can be successful, have accomplishments of her own, and be conservative? Sarah Palin is the devil in pumps but Caroline Kennedy, a leftwingnut with no experience and no serious accomplishments should be offered the US Senate seat she is asking for on a platter of silver to match the spoon she was born with in her mouth.

Nice.
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Number of posts : 6556
Registration date : 2007-12-28

https://gazzfriends.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Randall Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:32 pm

In retrospect, I don't think Palin was the best choice for VP. However, I continue to be astounded and disgusted by the unabashed hatred she draws from the Left.
Randall
Randall

Number of posts : 126
Registration date : 2008-02-18

Back to top Go down

Post by SamCogar Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:32 pm

Randall wrote:In retrospect, I don't think Palin was the best choice for VP. However, I continue to be astounded and disgusted by the unabashed hatred she draws from the Left.

Now a lot of people think that, primarily because the Press beat her into the podium in a bloddy mess.

Of course, they were only doing their best to save the ass of TeflonObam.

Caroline vs Sarah 197570 Caroline vs Sarah 197570 Caroline vs Sarah 197570

SamCogar

Number of posts : 6238

Back to top Go down

Post by bmd Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:56 pm

Randall wrote:In retrospect, I don't think Palin was the best choice for VP. However, I continue to be astounded and disgusted by the unabashed hatred she draws from the Left.

I think you are mistaking ridicule for hatred.

Personally, I think Palin is the best gift the GOP could have given the Democrats.

Run Sarah RUN!!!

I can see the campaign slogan now ----- "Huckabee-Palin 2012: Ensuring four more years for President Obama!!!"
bmd
bmd

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephanie Mon Dec 29, 2008 7:50 pm

This is ridicule?

Alec Baldwin, "mistaking" Sarah Palin for Tina Fey on Saturday Night Live during a conversation with SNL executive producer Lorne Michaels: "Lorne, I need to talk to you. You can't let Tina go out there with that woman. She goes against everything we stand for. I mean, good Lord, Lorne, they call her... what's that name they call her? Cari... Cari... What do they call her again, Tina?"
Sarah Palin: "That'd be Caribou Barbie."
Baldwin: "Caribou Barbie. Thank you, Tina. I mean, this is the most important election in our nation's history. And you want her -- our Tina -- to go out there and stand there with that horrible woman. What do you have to say for yourself?"
http://politicalhumor.about.com/od/saturdaynightlive/v/palin-snl-video.htm
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bmd Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:15 pm

Stephanie wrote:This is ridicule?

Alec Baldwin, "mistaking" Sarah Palin for Tina Fey on Saturday Night Live during a conversation with SNL executive producer Lorne Michaels: "Lorne, I need to talk to you. You can't let Tina go out there with that woman. She goes against everything we stand for. I mean, good Lord, Lorne, they call her... what's that name they call her? Cari... Cari... What do they call her again, Tina?"
Baldwin: "Caribou Barbie. Thank you, Tina. I mean, this is the most important election in our nation's history. And you want her -- our Tina -- to go out there and stand there with that horrible woman. What do you have to say for yourself?"

This might come as a bit of a shock to you, but the skits on SNL aren't real. It's a comedy show. Even the news segment is pretty much just made up. That whole Palin-Baldwin-Fey skit was, well...just that, A SKIT.

You can tell the difference between real life and satire, can't you?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?
bmd
bmd

Back to top Go down

Post by ziggy Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:51 am

bmd wrote:I think you are mistaking ridicule for hatred.

That is the politically correct Republican misnomer for 2008. And we can look for it to re-run in 2009. After all, doesn't "hatred" sound much more sinister than "political ridicule"?
ziggy
ziggy

Number of posts : 5731

Back to top Go down

Post by Keli Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:56 am

ziggy wrote:

That is the politically correct Republican misnomer for 2008. And we can look for it to re-run in 2009. After all, doesn't "hatred" sound much more sinister than "political ridicule"?

When liberals ridiculed moron monkey-boy Boosh was it done in a spirit of love and kindness?
Keli
Keli

Number of posts : 3608
Location : Zarr Chasm, WV--between Flotsam and Belch on the Cheat River

Back to top Go down

Post by ohio county Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:13 am

Caroline does a number on herself. The New York Times is complicit: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/28/nyregion/28kennedytranscript.html?ref=nyregion

Because she's, you know, bright and articulate and, you know, like uncle Teddy, has no clue why she wants the job, you know.
ohio county
ohio county

Number of posts : 3207

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:50 am

BMD and Ziggy, if you thing the democrats over the past 8 years has been one of ridicule and not hatred, I've got some nice ocean front condo's right outside of Tulsa I think you might be interested in...
Aaron
Aaron

Number of posts : 9841

Back to top Go down

Post by ziggy Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:08 pm

Keli wrote:
ziggy wrote:

When liberals ridiculed moron monkey-boy Boosh was it done in a spirit of love and kindness?

It was done in the spirit of political ridicule. That is a human social dynamic that you Keli- of all people- understand well, as you practice it frequently.
ziggy
ziggy

Number of posts : 5731

Back to top Go down

Post by sodbuster Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:16 pm

Well the criticism of President Bush these days comes more from the republican Party more than the Dems, it seems.

Like the old saying goes, "Success has a thousand fathers, but failure is an orphan."

Sad that his own Party would pile on while he is down.

sodbuster

Number of posts : 1890
Registration date : 2008-09-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:18 pm

How and what is his own party piling on?
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by sodbuster Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:30 pm

http://washingtontimes.com/news/2008/dec/30/rnc-pushes-unprecedented-criticism-of-bailouts/

I meant to post this link but I guess it didn't "take"...

sodbuster

Number of posts : 1890
Registration date : 2008-09-05

Back to top Go down

Post by bmd Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:38 pm

"Moron monkey-boy Boosh" has earned every bit of ridicule, and hate, tossed his way.

After all, what's not to like? He started an un-necessary war under totally bogus circumstances by lying to Congress and the electorate, getting thousands of Americans, and hundreds of thousands, perhaps even millions, of Iraqis, killed. He ruined our diplomatic standing around the world. He trashed the constitution. He drove the National Debt to unprecedented levels. He presided over the start of what is likely to be the greatest economic crisis in generations. And he is now pushing through dozens of eleventh-hour federal "monkey wrenches" to screw up the next administration for years.

The moniker "moron monkey-boy Boosh" is pretty tame, by those standards.
bmd
bmd

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:16 pm

sodbuster wrote:http://washingtontimes.com/news/2008/dec/30/rnc-pushes-unprecedented-criticism-of-bailouts/

I meant to post this link but I guess it didn't "take"...

So you don't have a problem with ripping Bush when he acts in a manner you do not agree with but you chide Republicans for doing the EXACT same thing and expect them to support him for his support of democratic policy.

That doesn't make much sense to me Sod.
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:26 pm

If Bush lied to Congress, why wasn't he impeached BMD?

Of course, you would have to impeach democrats such as Joe Biden, who as the ranking democratic member on the U.S. Senate Committee on Foreign Relations in 2002/03, had (by his own admission on This Week with George Snuffleupagus) was privy to the EXACT same intelligence information the administration was.

But as the Committee on Foreign Relations did have access to the EXACT intelligence committee, thus killing the notion that "Bush lied to Congress", we won't have to impeach Biden or any of his fellow democrats on the committee such as Bill Nelson, Barbara Boxer, Russ Feingold, John Kerry or Chris Dodd.

Nor will we have to impeach Jay Rockefeller or Diane Feinstein, who were the ranking democrat members on the United States Senate Select Committee on Intelligence and were also privy to the EXACT same intelligence the adminstration was.

Perhaps if democrats could have thought for themselves and voted their conscience, then we wouldn't be in the mess we're in, don't you think BMD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by bmd Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:31 pm

Aaron wrote:If Bush lied to Congress, why wasn't he impeached BMD?

Good question. If it were up to me, he would have been impeached, and thrown into the tiniest, darkest, dankest cell to await his execution.
bmd
bmd

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:46 pm

He wasn't impeached becasue he didn't lie.

Joe Biden confirmed as much when he stated that he was one of 8 democrats that had, and I quote, "access to the same intelligence the adminstration had".

I've heard that if you keep telling the same lie over and over, you believe it.

I'll bet you believe the lie about the 2000 election as well.
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephanie Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:49 pm

bmd wrote:

This might come as a bit of a shock to you, but the skits on SNL aren't real. It's a comedy show. Even the news segment is pretty much just made up. That whole Palin-Baldwin-Fey skit was, well...just that, A SKIT.

You can tell the difference between real life and satire, can't you?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

No, I don't think that was a skit. That was Baldwin being the pig that he is. If that were the worst thing that arrogant, self-serving pompous POS dirtbag had done I might believe it. However, given his treatment of his own daughter, I suppose nothing should shock me.

How about the comment by NY Times columnist that Palin "represents a cancer in the Republican Party."

Was that satire too? Was that ridicule? Nah, it was just more liberal venom.
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bmd Tue Dec 30, 2008 3:35 pm

Stephanie wrote:
bmd wrote:

No, I don't think that was a skit. That was Baldwin being the pig that he is. If that were the worst thing that arrogant, self-serving pompous POS dirtbag had done I might believe it. However, given his treatment of his own daughter, I suppose nothing should shock me.

My condolences to your home-schoolers. It would appear that you don't have a firm grasp on reality.
bmd
bmd

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephanie Tue Dec 30, 2008 3:45 pm

I'll be sure and pass it on. The daughter I homeschooled is being courted by numerous colleges & universities with scholarships galore. I'm sure she'll be happy to hear it.

My son who turned 7 just a month ago will be tickled. As a matter of fact, I'll have him read it himself when he's done working on his fractions.
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ohio county Wed Dec 31, 2008 8:24 am

With whom, specifically, is our diplomatic standing "ruined"?
ohio county
ohio county

Number of posts : 3207

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next