WV Forum for News, Politics, and Sports
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

So how is congress going to pay for this massive stimulus.

+2
Ich bin Ala-awkbarph
Aaron
6 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

So how is congress going to pay for this massive stimulus. Empty So how is congress going to pay for this massive stimulus.

Post by Aaron Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:29 am

The same way FDR did in the 30's. By raising taxes. And somehow I get the feeling this is just the beginning.

Panel wants fuel taxes hiked to fund highways
By JOAN LOWY – 14 hours ago

WASHINGTON (AP) — A 50 percent increase in gasoline and diesel fuel taxes is being urged by a federal commission to finance highway construction and repair until the government devises another way for motorists to pay for using public roads.

The National Commission on Surface Transportation Infrastructure Financing, a 15-member panel created by Congress, is the second group in a year to call for higher fuel taxes.

With motorists driving less and buying less fuel, the current 18.4 cents a gallon gas tax and 24.4 cents a gallon diesel tax fail to raise enough to keep pace with the cost of road, bridge and transit programs.

In a report expected in late January, members of the infrastructure financing commission say they will urge Congress to raise the gas tax by 10 cents a gallon and the diesel fuel tax by 12 to 15 cents a gallon. At the same time, the commission will recommend tying the fuel tax rates to inflation.

The commission will also recommend that states raise their fuel taxes and make greater use of toll roads and fees for rush-hour driving.

A tax increase on this order would be politically treacherous for Democratic leaders in Congress — a gas tax hike was one of the reasons they lost control of the House and Senate in the 1994 elections. President-elect Barack Obama has expressed concern about raising gas taxes in the current economic climate. But commission members said the government must find the money somewhere.

"I'm not excited about a gas tax increase, but the reality is our current gas tax doesn't pay for upkeep of the system we have now," said Adrian Moore, vice president of the Reason Foundation, a libertarian think tank in Los Angeles, and a member of the highway revenue commission. "We can either let the roads go to hell or we can pay more."

The dilemma for Congress is that highway and transit programs are dependent for revenue on fuel taxes that are not sustainable. Many Americans are driving less and switching to more fuel-efficient cars and trucks, and a shift to new fuels and technologies like plug-in hybrid electric cars will further erode gasoline sales.

more here
Aaron
Aaron

Number of posts : 9841
Registration date : 2007-12-28

Back to top Go down

So how is congress going to pay for this massive stimulus. Empty Re: So how is congress going to pay for this massive stimulus.

Post by Ich bin Ala-awkbarph Fri Jan 02, 2009 6:12 am

Simple! They are going to tax the filthy rich Republicans and business owners, who will then pass the increased cost to you and me; or, they will print more money--which will result in inflation which means we will pay higher prices for goods and services.
Ich bin Ala-awkbarph
Ich bin Ala-awkbarph

Number of posts : 2310
Registration date : 2008-01-28

Back to top Go down

So how is congress going to pay for this massive stimulus. Empty Re: So how is congress going to pay for this massive stimulus.

Post by Aaron Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:39 am

It's not only going to be the filthy rich who pay for it. Right now they are recommending a 50% increase in the gas and deisel tax.

Everyone will pay it in excise taxes which means it will hit the poor and middle class hardest, just as it did under FDR and the new deal.
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:32 pm

And if you beat the government by driving a fuel efficient vehicle meaning you purchase less gas thus paying less tax, they'll find a way to get around that as well.

My question is, does anyone that is naive enough to believe that we won't be paying much higher taxes 4 years from now compared to what we pay today?

Oregon looks at taxing mileage instead of gasoline
By RYAN KOST, Associated Press Writer Ryan Kost, Associated Press Writer
2 hrs 4 mins ago

PORTLAND, Ore. – Oregon is among a growing number of states exploring ways to tax drivers based on the number of miles they drive instead of how much gas they use, even going so far as to install GPS monitoring devices in 300 vehicles. The idea first emerged nearly 10 years ago as Oregon lawmakers worried that fuel-efficient cars such as gas-electric hybrids could pose a threat to road upkeep, which is paid for largely with gasoline taxes.

"I'm glad we're taking a look at it before the potholes get so big that we can't even get out of them," said Leroy Younglove, a Portland driver who participated in a recent pilot program.

The proposal is not without critics, including drivers who are concerned about privacy and others who fear the tax could eliminate the financial incentive for buying efficient vehicles.

But Oregon is ahead of the nation in exploring the concept, even though it will probably be years before any mileage tax is adopted.

Congress is talking about it, too. A congressional commission has envisioned a system similar to the prototype Oregon tested in 2006-2007.

The National Commission on Surface Transportation Infrastructure Financing is considering calling for higher gas taxes to keep highways, bridges and transit programs in good shape.

But over the long term, commission members say, the nation should consider taxing mileage rather than gasoline as drivers use more fuel-efficient and electric vehicles.

As cars burn less fuel, "the gas tax isn't going to fill the bill," said Rep. Peter DeFazio of Oregon, a member of the House Transportation and Infrastructure Committee.

The next Congress "could begin to set the stage, perhaps looking at some much more robust pilot programs, to begin the research, to work with manufacturers."

more here.
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by SamCogar Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:20 am

Aaron wrote:And if you beat the government by driving a fuel efficient vehicle meaning you purchase less gas thus paying less tax, they'll find a way to get around that as well.

Aaron, I was set to start a new post with the same story you posted ....... and was going to include another one which defines ..... "a way to get around that as well". They were both in today's papers

So here, enjoy.

States study taxing by the mile

PORTLAND, Ore. - Oregon is among a growing number of states exploring ways to tax drivers based on the number of miles they drive instead of how much gas they use, even going so far as to install GPS monitoring devices in 300 vehicles.

The idea first emerged nearly 10 years ago as Oregon lawmakers worried that fuel-efficient cars such as gas-electric hybrids could pose a threat to road upkeep, which is paid for largely with gasoline taxes.

http://www.wvgazette.com/News/200901020516

If you are "driving green" ......... then you will pay by the mile.

And everyone was thinking hybrids would be cheaper and better for the environment.

So how is congress going to pay for this massive stimulus. 33948 So how is congress going to pay for this massive stimulus. 33948 So how is congress going to pay for this massive stimulus. 33948 So how is congress going to pay for this massive stimulus. 33948 So how is congress going to pay for this massive stimulus. 33948

SamCogar

Number of posts : 6238

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Sat Jan 03, 2009 2:02 pm

The government is going to find the way to get theirs.

I do wonder though why the left hasn't weighed in on this thread.
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by sodbuster Sat Jan 03, 2009 2:16 pm

Well I would rather they did make some effort to pay for it.

Instead of just taking your guy's path of borrowing from the next generation to pay for the Iraq occupation.

sodbuster

Number of posts : 1890
Registration date : 2008-09-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Sat Jan 03, 2009 2:18 pm

So then you are not a follower of Keynesian Economics but rather hold to the Smith line of thinking, correct Sod!!!
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by sodbuster Sat Jan 03, 2009 2:27 pm

Aaron wrote:So then you are not a follower of Keynesian Economics but rather hold to the Smith line of thinking, correct Sod!!!

Well I didnt realize those had been declared the only two choices... Shocked

sodbuster

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Sat Jan 03, 2009 3:16 pm

So then what line of economical thinking do you follow Sodbuster???
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:54 pm

Perhaps your line of thinking is one that all economic theories and arrangements are united by the desire to produce for use rather than profit, achieve greater equality and give the workers greater control of the means of production.

Or perhaps it's one of that promotes the establishment of an egalitarian, classless, stateless society based on common ownership and control of the means of production and property in general.

There are many verisons of economic thoughts. Do you have any yet?
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Sat Jan 03, 2009 8:02 pm

I thought about this while I was watching WV whip up on Seton Hall and I've got another question for you Sod.

During the depression, excise taxes exceeded income taxes every year from 33 to 43 meaning it is the poor and working class that, proportionately, pays higher taxes just as it will be if tax increases like this are passed to raise revenue to pay for the stimulus spending.

I thought these programs were supposed to help the working man though. So how is it helping them if they give them a job on one hand and then force them to pay for that job with increased excise and other taxes on the other?
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:09 am

Any thoughts yet Sodbuster?
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:41 pm

Perhaps you should have remained silent on this one Sherman as any tax increase will hit the poor and middle class harder then any other segment and by taxing in this manner, it is the poor and middle class that will be paying for the stimulus.

Under the Keynesian line of thinking, you don't increase taxes during a down turn as that prompts citizen savings, you spend, spend, spend without much, if any thought to deficits. I've heard at least 3 or 4 uba liberals like yourself say exactly the same thing on many of the morning shows over the past few months.

Seems you're Zero for 2 on this thread. I understand why you're avoiding it like the plague.
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:12 am

You've had a couple of days now Sod. Any thoughts yet?
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephanie Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:32 am

Perhaps he's waiting for Lynn Samuels to tell him what to think.
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Number of posts : 6556

https://gazzfriends.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by sodbuster Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:38 am

Maybe I should join your Ron Paul cult, huh... Very Happy

sodbuster

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:43 am

I'd settle for an answer to the questions that you've had 2 days to answer.
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephanie Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:53 am

Ah, so now I'm part of a "cult", huh?

Sticks & stones, Sherm. Nobody has spoonfed you answers to Aaron's questions so you have to attack Congressman Paul. Nice.
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sodbuster Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:53 am

Well I told you a dozen times I dont know anything about economics.

Then you expect me to pick one of your two choices.

So I dont know maybe I will pull something out of my hat ok. Very Happy

sodbuster

Back to top Go down

Post by sodbuster Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:56 am

No steph but you got to admit it is the pot calling the kettle black when you accuse someone of being spoonfed.

Dr. Paul says this, Dr. Paul says that, yada yada.

Just kidding but you know it's true... Wink

sodbuster

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephanie Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:04 pm

sodbuster wrote:Well I told you a dozen times I dont know anything about economics.

Then you expect me to pick one of your two choices.

So I dont know maybe I will pull something out of my hat ok. Very Happy

If you don't understand economics, don't you think it may be unreasonable for you to insist the government create and maintain all these entitlement programs and fund trillion dollar bailouts and the like? You want all these things but you have no clue how to pay for them.

As far as my quoting Rep. Paul, I don't on every subject. There are some things I disagree with him on, I never discuss them with people who do not support the campaign for liberty. In some instances, I have come around to his point of view. I wonderful example of this how I now desire a return to the gold standard. I once thought it was unnecessary and impossible. Recent events have proven how wrong I was about the necessity and I have read plans detailing how this can be accomplished, it's not impossible after all.

I think I have told the group this before, where I disagree with Paul is on his stance to end the income tax. I favor income tax and nothing anyone has ever said, or given me to read, watch or listen to has altered my view on that one iota. Taxing income is the fairest way to tax people.
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sodbuster Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:11 pm

Well if you have ever heard Lynn Samuels you would know she despises Obama and is real high on Ron Paul.

sodbuster

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:59 pm

Aaron wrote:
During the depression, excise taxes exceeded income taxes every year from 33 to 43 meaning it is the poor and working class that, proportionately, pays higher taxes just as it will be if tax increases like this are passed to raise revenue to pay for the stimulus spending.

I thought these programs were supposed to help the working man though. So how is it helping them if they give them a job on one hand and then force them to pay for that job with increased excise and other taxes on the other?

I understand you're not an economist Sodbuster so I don't necessary expect an answer on that, even though it's not hard to Google "Keynesian Economics".

I am wondering if you can answer these questions though.

The doubling of the gas tax would add an additional $260 on the average driver per year and that's just one tax. So how is this massive spending bill helping working Americans when it is working Americans who are paying the bulk of the taxes to fund it?
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephanie Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:03 pm

I don't despise Obama. I don't trust him and I fear what he may do, but I can't imagine why anyone would hate him. He hasn't really done anything yet other than make a few lousy nominations.

I told you before, I think we should all give our incoming President our best wishes and reserve judgement. Let's see what he does before we go condemning him. He has the opportunity to earn my trust and respect, I'm not just going to fork it over to a "Gatsby".

I had to steal Jim's line. It's the most appropriate comparison I've heard anywhere.
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next