WV Forum for News, Politics, and Sports
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What about Freedom of Choice for Medical Staff?

4 posters

Go down

What about Freedom of Choice for Medical Staff? Empty What about Freedom of Choice for Medical Staff?

Post by Ich bin Ala-awkbarph Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:32 am

No choice: Doctors forced to perform abortions or else?
AllianceDefenseFund ^ | January 23, 2009

HARTFORD, Conn. — Attorneys with the Christian Legal Society and the Alliance Defense Fund filed motions to intervene Wednesday in three lawsuits that seek to invalidate a federal law protecting medical professionals from discrimination because they refuse to participate in abortions. Three pro-life medical associations are seeking to defend the law against challenges by some state officials, Planned Parenthood, and the National Family Planning and Reproductive Health Association, represented by the American Civil Liberties Union.

“Medical professionals should not be forced to perform abortions against their conscience. Planned Parenthood, the ACLU, and their pro-abortion allies are seeking to punish pro-life medical professionals for their beliefs,” said Litigation Counsel Casey Mattox with CLS’s Center for Law & Religious Freedom. “Far from arguing for ‘choice,’ these lawsuits seek to compel health care workers to perform abortions or face dire consequences.”

“For over three decades, federal law has prohibited recipients of federal grants from forcing medical professionals to participate in abortions. The arguments in the lawsuits themselves demonstrate lack of compliance with these laws and the necessity of the regulation they are challenging,” said ADF Legal Counsel Matt Bowman. Attorney Andrew Knott of Cheshire is assisting as local counsel.

The Christian Medical Association, Catholic Medical Association, and American Association of Pro-Life Obstetricians and Gynecologists, represented by CLS and ADF attorneys, are asking to be allowed to defend the law, 45 CFR Part 88, enacted in December 2008 by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. Noting a pattern of grant recipients unaware of or flouting existing laws protecting medical professionals’ rights of conscience, HHS enacted the new law to require grantees to certify compliance with them in order to receive funds. The three long-standing statutes are the Church Amendment, the Coats-Snowe Amendment, and the Weldon Amendment.

The three pro-life medical groups point out that denying rights of conscience could harm access to healthcare for all by forcing medical professionals who refuse to perform abortions to either relocate from jurisdictions that force them to do so or leave the profession altogether.

Many of those challenging the HHS law failed in previous efforts to have the Weldon Amendment struck down. CLS and ADF attorneys representing the Christian Medical Association and American Association of Pro-Life Obstetricians and Gynecologists successfully defended that law (www.telladf.org/news/story.aspx?cid=4432, www.telladf.org/news/story.aspx?cid=3918, and www.telladf.org/news/story.aspx?cid=3542).

The briefs in support of the motions to intervene in Connecticut v. United States, National Family Planning & Reproductive Health Association v. Leavitt, and Planned Parenthood of America v. Leavitt filed with the U.S. District Court for the District of Connecticut are available at www.telladf.org/UserDocs/HHSinterventions.pdf.

Think that they would force a Muslim doctor to perform a circumcision on a Jew?
Ich bin Ala-awkbarph
Ich bin Ala-awkbarph

Number of posts : 2310
Registration date : 2008-01-28

Back to top Go down

What about Freedom of Choice for Medical Staff? Empty Re: What about Freedom of Choice for Medical Staff?

Post by ohio county Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:36 am

I'd hate to be the test Jew.
ohio county
ohio county

Number of posts : 3207
Registration date : 2007-12-28

Back to top Go down

What about Freedom of Choice for Medical Staff? Empty Re: What about Freedom of Choice for Medical Staff?

Post by sodbuster Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:41 am

Well if I ever have heart surgery, I hope my doctor is not a Jehovah's witness.

I have a few friends who are Jehovah's witnesses, and all things equal I would rather do business with a Jehovah's Witness than just about anyone.

But they do not "believe in" blood transfusions.

So Terry I bet even you would not want a Jehovah's Witness to practice medicine according to the strict dictates of his religion.

At least not on you or your family.

sodbuster

Number of posts : 1890
Registration date : 2008-09-05

Back to top Go down

Post by sodbuster Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:41 am

Lol OC even I got that one...

sodbuster

Number of posts : 1890
Registration date : 2008-09-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephanie Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:53 am

I wouldn't want a JW for a doctor either. That's my choice. That doesn't mean that a JW can't be a terrific doctor for other people, primarily other JW's I would think.

There is a distinct possibility that some areas will face additional shortages of OB's if they are compelled to commit murder. As it stands, there are critical shortages of OB/GYN's in plenty of areas already. Malpractice premiums are driving them to early retirement and fewer and fewer residents are opting for that specialty as a result. This would make things worse.

I know you all just adore the anecdotal evidence thing, but an example of this can be found with my daughter. For years she talked about being a pharmacist. Our school district has as a graduation requirement that students investigate careers and create a portfolio on the career they have selected. There's a lot that goes into it. Kate chose pharmacist. After years of that being the goal she has changed her mind primarily because she fears she'd be forced to dispense the "morning after pill" or be fired.

Don't you wonder how many other Katie's there are out there? I do.
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Number of posts : 6556
Registration date : 2007-12-28

https://gazzfriends.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Ich bin Ala-awkbarph Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:59 am

ohio county wrote:I'd hate to be the test Jew.

Dr. Bobbit?
Ich bin Ala-awkbarph
Ich bin Ala-awkbarph

Number of posts : 2310
Registration date : 2008-01-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down