WV Forum for News, Politics, and Sports
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Senate has a deal.

4 posters

Go down

Senate has a deal. Empty Senate has a deal.

Post by Aaron Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:50 am

Seems democrats have found enough Republicans to cave and back THEIR bill. And all they had to do was cut back a couple of hundred billion dollars so instead of spending a trillion, we're only footing $800 billion of liberal democratic spending.

'We have a deal'
By: David Rogers
February 6, 2009 02:13 PM EST

Against a backdrop of grim job losses, the White House and Senate Democrats secured a deal with moderate Republicans Friday to clear the way for passage of President Barack Obama’s economic recovery plan.

After days of watching from the sidelines, Rahm Emanuel, the president’s chief of staff, came to the Capitol Friday afternoon to help seal the arrangement. Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) said he hoped to complete passage on Monday, and a party caucus Friday night indicated strong Democratic support.

“We have a deal” said one official, and at least three Republicans are expected to back the revised bill: Sens. Susan Collins and Olympia Snowe of Maine and Arlen Specter of Pennsylvania.

source
Aaron
Aaron

Number of posts : 9841
Registration date : 2007-12-28

Back to top Go down

Senate has a deal. Empty Re: Senate has a deal.

Post by sodbuster Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:57 am

Well Aaron don't feel too bad.

The game is not over till it's over.

sodbuster

Number of posts : 1890
Registration date : 2008-09-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:11 pm

Oh, it's over Sodbuster but then I've known that for a long time. I knew Obama would find him a couple of Huckleberry’s to enforce cloture and get the bill passed and that’s what has happened.

Snowe is a wolf in sheep’s clothing and I don’t think many are surprised Specter went along either. Republican Senators don’t have quite the moral fiber or intestinal fortitude their counterparts in Congress do because they don’t have to answer to voters for another 6 years.

And by the time this is all said and done, Obama may even get another ~10 plus Republican Senators to vote for this monstrosity and claim some sort of partisanship but make no mistake about, just as TARP, this is purely a Democratic/liberal bill, plain and simple.

In the short run, when the economy gets WORSE through 2009 and 2010 (and it will as it will be 2011, possibly 2012 before we see a turn around) democrats will pay dearly at the polls.

And when this garbage fails as I guarantee you it will , I will tell you time and again, I told you so.

The one thing I hope for is that this assault on America by liberals will cost both Nancy Pelosi and Harry Reid their seats in Congress.
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by ziggy Sat Feb 07, 2009 1:08 pm

Republican Senators don’t have quite the moral fiber or intestinal fortitude their counterparts in Congress do because they don’t have to answer to voters for another 6 years.

Spector will answer to the voters in only one year from now, and Olympia Snowe in 2012.
ziggy
ziggy

Number of posts : 5731

Back to top Go down

Post by sodbuster Sat Feb 07, 2009 1:17 pm

And if there is progress in turning the corner against this recession/depression it will work to their benefit.

If their efforts fail and the economy continues its current path, it will benefit the rightwing obstructionists.

imo

sodbuster

Number of posts : 1890
Registration date : 2008-09-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Sat Feb 07, 2009 1:23 pm

But they only have to answer once every 6 years. Specter likely believes he can ride the support Obama has right now but what he's not counting on is how fickle American can be and how much a year can change things.

Both Bush's had plus 70 approval ratings at one time. Bush 1 was so popular that no one wanted to run against him in 91.

What a difference a year and some economic hard times make. And considering we've yet to see the worst of the economic hard times, a lot of people are going to have to answer for this mess next year.

Notable democrats who will face tough questions from voters are Dodd-CT, Inouye-Ha, Burris-Il, Leahy-Vt, Feingold, WI and most notably, Dingy Harry in Nevada.

It will most definitely be in interesting election. I can see a ton of “I told you so’s” coming down the pike.
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Sat Feb 07, 2009 1:26 pm

Subprimes were the tip of the iceberg Sodbuster. Do some reading on Alt-A and ARM mortgages.

The chickens have just started to come home to roost for the liberal lending policies of the past 15 years.

It's going to get much worse before it gets better. So the question will be, how much will you guys throw at the next crisis?
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by SamCogar Sat Feb 07, 2009 2:17 pm

I hear Intel is going to layoff a few.

SamCogar

Number of posts : 6238

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down