WV Forum for News, Politics, and Sports
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ron Paul In Charleston West Virginia For Super Tuesday

4 posters

Go down

Ron Paul In Charleston West Virginia For Super Tuesday Empty Ron Paul In Charleston West Virginia For Super Tuesday

Post by Stephanie Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:48 pm

http://www.huntingtonnews.net/political/080131-rutherford-politicalronpaul.html

Ron Paul In Charleston West Virginia For Super Tuesday
Presidential Candidate Favoring Less Government Will Speak at GOP Convention

By Tony Rutherford
Huntingtonnews.net Reporter

Huntington, WV (HNN) – At least one of the Republican presidential candidates will address the West Virginia GOP Convention, Tuesday, Feb. 5 in Charleston.

Ten term Texas Congressman Ron Paul will address the 1,000 or so Mountain State Republicans predicted to be in attendance, sometime between 9:30 a.m. and 11 a.m., according to Kevin Clauson, West Virginia coordinator of the Ron Paul campaign.

Paul will also have a hospitality suite at the Charleston Civic Center, in Parlor A, where supporters can gather from about 8 a.m. until 9:30 a.m.

The exact time for Paul’s speech has yet to be determined, but he has asked for the first position.

He leaves for Tennessee immediately afterwards.

Clauson said WV GOP convention organizers won't know until Saturday, Feb. 1, if any other candidates will appear.

He suspects that McCain and Romney will concentrate on larger states while Mike Huckabee stumps Alabama and Arkansas. “It will surprise me if we get (another) candidate to show up,” Clauson said.

However, former state chairman David Tyson told Huntington News a couple weeks ago that he was working towards getting a commitment from Arizona Senator John McCain for an appearance.

How that went is unknown to this reporter right now, but given the fluidity and unpredictability of the primary races so far, obviously anything can happen.

Clauson, a 1974 Marshall University graduate, describes Congressman Paul as a "strict constitutionalist" and he summarized Paul’s major positions thusly:

1) Ending the war against Iraq
2) Eliminating the IRS
3) Reducing the size of the federal government
4) Restoring Economic liberty
5) Opposition to the United States operating as a "de facto international policeman"
6) Strong support for State’s Rights
7) Rigid adherence by government to the United States Constitution

Paul’s views on economic liberty favor less governmental regulation, less government bureaucracy and less interference by the government in the lives of its citizens.

A strict constitutional interpretation of federal taxation law allows only tariffs and fees, in Paul’s view, thus, the IRS should be eliminated.

Reducing taxes would mean a reduction in federal government spending but Paul supports Social Security, in the short run. Those beyond, or near retirement age depend on it to be there; Paul would support individual retirement choices for younger workers, according to his camp.

“I'm sure he’s not opposed to people getting tax money back, but the real thing to do is eliminate the IRS – income taxes, corporate taxes,” Clauson said, adding that 50-75% of tax money goes for “bureaucracy” rather than back to the people in the form of grants, entitlements or federal assistance.

With federal taxes reduced, Paul believes more private money would be given to churches and charitable organizations to support those in need.

As a congressman Paul voted against the Iraq War. He did not view that nation as a threat to the United States and argued to his fellow representatives that the war was being entered into under false pretenses and that Congress was violating the constitution by allowing the executive branch to usurp the historically unique power bestowed upon congress alone to declare war. By contrast he voted in favor of the Afghanistan conflict in the view that Osama Bin Laden and al Qaeda was based or hiding there.

Pertaining to the war authorization in Iraq, “you did not have the declaration of war process that the constitution requires,” which provides debate, an up or down vote, and in Clauson’s words, “much greater unity.”

Comparing the Iraq war authorization to the Vietnam conflict, Clauson, a former professor of government at Liberty University, said, “there was no good reason to go into Iraq because there were no weapons of mass destruction. The Iraqi regime had no capability to attack the United States. There were no Al Qaeda networks there.”

Ironically, the Saddam Hussein regime explicitly prohibited extremist groups like al Qaeda from operating from Iraq, Clauson said, yet after the U.S. removed him from power, the leadership vacuum that resulted allowed the country to be infiltrated by the terrorist organization.
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Number of posts : 6556
Registration date : 2007-12-28

https://gazzfriends.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Ron Paul In Charleston West Virginia For Super Tuesday Empty Re: Ron Paul In Charleston West Virginia For Super Tuesday

Post by Aaron Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:25 am

So are you going?
Aaron
Aaron

Number of posts : 9841

Back to top Go down

Ron Paul In Charleston West Virginia For Super Tuesday Empty Re: Ron Paul In Charleston West Virginia For Super Tuesday

Post by ohio county Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:28 am

I'll be there.
ohio county
ohio county

Number of posts : 3207

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephanie Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:48 am

Do birds fly? Do bees buzz? Me & OC at the WVGOP Convention. Oh my........tongues will wag!
lol!
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:00 am

I'm thinking of attending.
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephanie Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:14 am

Will you let us deck you out in Ron Paul swag?
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ohio county Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:18 am

I'll sneak out and put a Ron Paul bumper sticker on your car!
ohio county
ohio county

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:28 am

I'll try to get my very liberal, Edwards supporting (even since he's dropped out) son to come with me. I think it would be very interesting to hear a Presidential candidate speak.

And I don't 'swag' for just anyone. Very Happy
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephanie Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:31 am

OMG I am so upset. My daughter can't come because she has this stupid field trip that is part of some outrageous grad requirement. She's so upset. When I told her Dr. Paul was coming Tuesday she looked like she was going to cry. I'm hoping he's flying in Monday and I can take her to meet him at the airport.
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:36 am

I'm pretty sure I can find Stepanie if I attend.

So how do I find you Jimmy?
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephanie Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:41 am

He'll be the guy in the Ron Paul tshirt. What a Face
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephanie Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:42 am

OMG I'm going to have to color my hair. sheeesh
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ohio county Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:05 pm

No, I'll be the fat guy in the grey jacket and black pants. They may make us wear name tags. Not sure.
ohio county
ohio county

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephanie Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:58 pm

*sniffles*

I didn't win. I'm not gonna get no name tag Jimmy! Waaahhhhh!!!!

I wonder how many overweight Yankee women with long graying hair will be in attendence? hmmmm..........

OMG I do need to color my hair I look like a hag. I don't know why my husband puts up with me.

Also, I'm not a delegate, how does one dress for such an event? Do I need heels? Pantsuit? Should I get a manicure?

I wasn't this excited when I met Ozzy Osborne. I want his autograph. I hope if I do get to meet him I don't make an ass out of myself like I did when I met the Moody Blues. That was HUMILIATING. omg

They have a pill for this. Anybody got any?

affraid
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ohio county Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:09 pm

The Moody Blues?
ohio county
ohio county

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephanie Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:10 pm

Yikes I originally posted this in the wrong thread. This is my youngest son. I was looking for a pic of me on my hard drive and came across this. I love this picture.
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephanie Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:33 pm

ohio county wrote:The Moody Blues?

See that, Jimmy? I do need a pill. I tried answering this, but I kept posting it in the wrong location. I met them a little over 20 years ago and made an ass out of myself because I was nervous. I can't rehash it again because it makes me nervous just to think about it so I screwed up the post. lol

I will say I have met other famous people since then, more famous than the Moody Blues, more influential etc and have managed to do better. So I think I'll be ok. I'm not 20 any more.
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ziggy Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:24 pm

Jimmy, are you a sate GOP convention delegate?
ziggy
ziggy

Number of posts : 5731

Back to top Go down

Post by ohio county Mon Feb 04, 2008 7:35 am

Yes, sir. From Ohio County.
ohio county
ohio county

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down