WV Forum for News, Politics, and Sports
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rove calls Biden a "liar."

+4
Ich bin Ala-awkbarph
SamCogar
Aaron
Keli
8 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Rove calls Biden a "liar." Empty Rove calls Biden a "liar."

Post by Keli Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:46 am

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/first100days/2009/04/09/rove-calls-biden-liar-bush-aides-challenge-vps-boasts/

Republican strategist Karl Rove called Vice President Biden a "liar" on Thursday, dramatically escalating a feud between Biden and aides to former President George W. Bush over Biden's claims to have rebuked Bush in private meetings.

"I hate to say this, but he's a serial exaggerator," Rove told FOX News. "If I was being unkind I would say liar. But it is a habit he ought to drop."

Rove added: "You should not exaggerate and lie like this when you are the Vice President of the United States."

Biden's office did not immediately respond to a request for comment, although Biden spokesman Jay Carney told Fox on Wednesday: "The vice president stands by his remarks."

I think Biden thinks that what he heard someone else say is what he said...again.

Last edited by Kelock on Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:56 am; edited 1 time in total
Keli
Keli

Number of posts : 3608
Location : Zarr Chasm, WV--between Flotsam and Belch on the Cheat River
Registration date : 2007-12-28

Back to top Go down

Rove calls Biden a "liar." Empty Re: Rove calls Biden a "liar."

Post by Aaron Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:24 am

Biden admitted on This week with George Snuffleupagu to being one of the "gang of eight" who had access to the EXACT same information the administration had regarding Iraq yet he, as well as Rockefeller now say Bush mislead them.

Yeah, I'd say he's a serial exaggerator.
Aaron
Aaron

Number of posts : 9841

Back to top Go down

Post by SamCogar Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:47 am

Aaron wrote:Biden admitted on This week with George Snuffleupagu to being one of the "gang of eight" who had access to the EXACT same information the administration had regarding Iraq yet he, as well as Rockefeller now say Bush mislead them.

Another FACT that Ziggy will not face up to.

He still calls Bush a liar on account of that.

SamCogar

Number of posts : 6238

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:49 am

Ziggy thinks everyone is a liar as that's what he sees everytime he looks in a mirror.
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by Ich bin Ala-awkbarph Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:23 pm

The New York Times ^ | Sept 18, 1987 | EJ Dionne

Senator Joseph R. Biden Jr., a Democratic Presidential candidate, was accused of plagiarism while in his first year at Syracuse University Law School, academic officials familiar with Mr. Biden's record said today.

Mr. Biden, who as chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee is presiding over the hearings on the Supreme Court nomination of Judge Robert H. Bork, has called a news conference for 9 A.M. Thursday to discuss this charge and reports that he has lifted material from speeches by other politicians to use in his public addresses.

Liar, liar pants on fire!
Ich bin Ala-awkbarph
Ich bin Ala-awkbarph

Number of posts : 2310
Registration date : 2008-01-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:15 pm

Though Biden had cited Kinnock as the source for the formulation many times before, he made no reference to the original source at the August 23 Iowa State Fair debate in question or in another appearance. While political speeches often appropriate ideas and language from each other, Biden's use came under more scrutiny because he somewhat distorted his own family's background in order to match Kinnock's.

A few days later, Biden's plagiarism incident in law school came to light. It was also revealed that when earlier questioned by a New Hampshire resident about his grades in law school, Biden had inaccurately recollected graduating in the "top half" of his class, that he had attended law school on a full scholarship, and had received three degrees in college. He had in fact earned a single B.A. with a double major in history and political science, had received a half scholarship to law school based on financial need with some additional assistance based in part upon academics, and had graduated 76th of 85 in his law school class.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Biden

I'd say Rove got it right.
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by ohio county Fri Apr 10, 2009 5:41 pm

Obama still condemns Bush's use of "state secrets" to fend off legal action. In fact, his campaign website still carries his condemnation:

Secrecy Dominates Government Actions: The Bush administration has ignored public disclosure rules and has invoked a legal tool known as the "state secrets" privilege more than any other previous administration to get cases thrown out of civil court.
http://www.barackobama.com/issues/ethics/

Must be a little tough to keep a straight face since his administration has already used the "state secrets" gambit three times:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/04/09/gibbs-obama-stands-by-doj_n_185300.html
ohio county
ohio county

Number of posts : 3207

Back to top Go down

Post by Ich bin Ala-awkbarph Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:55 pm

http://hotairpundit.blogspot.com/2009/04/ari-fleischer-fires-back-at-media-over.html
Ich bin Ala-awkbarph
Ich bin Ala-awkbarph

Number of posts : 2310
Registration date : 2008-01-28

Back to top Go down

Post by ziggy Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:24 pm

SamCogar wrote:
Aaron wrote:Biden admitted on This week with George Snuffleupagu to being one of the "gang of eight" who had access to the EXACT same information the administration had regarding Iraq yet he, as well as Rockefeller now say Bush mislead them.

But Rove says that Biden is a liar, too. And I agree that he is- if he said what is indicated above. The misinformation got filtered through the Cheney-Bush propaganda machine before Biden and the rest of Congress ever saw it. I don't care what Aaron and Biden say. Bush was a liar about Iraq. And for all his partisan bluster, even Aaron will not say that he thinks that Bush told the truth about Iraq.
ziggy
ziggy

Number of posts : 5731

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:51 pm

Contrary to what a dumb Marxist like you thinks Ziggy, career intelligence people know that legally they cannot do as you say suggest and to do so would be treason and would result in prison time.

And as they are not politicians, didn’t depend on politicians to get where they are and don’t answer to politicians, they would not in any circumstances lie to congress for the political reasons as you suggest.

If they did, they know it would be Americans who suffer, not politicians. Career intelligence officers, those who work their way up the ladder and are not politically appointed, those who actually run intelligence agencies, share all intelligence with ALL branches of government as that is their duty.

Only an idiot, some moron who doesn't understand the concept of duty, honor or service, would think that they would risk EVERYTHING they have worked for their entire career for and the future of all Americas for political gain.
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by ziggy Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:05 am

Aaron wrote:Contrary to what a dumb Marxist like you thinks Ziggy, career intelligence people know that legally they cannot do as you say suggest and to do so would be treason and would result in prison time.

And as they are not politicians, didn’t depend on politicians to get where they are and don’t answer to politicians, they would not in any circumstances lie to congress for the political reasons as you suggest.

If they did, they know it would be Americans who suffer, not politicians. Career intelligence officers, those who work their way up the ladder and are not politically appointed, those who actually run intelligence agencies, share all intelligence with ALL branches of government as that is their duty.

Only an idiot, some moron who doesn't understand the concept of duty, honor or service, would think that they would risk EVERYTHING they have worked for their entire career for and the future of all Americas for political gain.

So why do you refuse to state that you think Bush was telling the truth to the American people about the pre-Iraq invasion so-called "intelligence"?
ziggy
ziggy

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:11 am

Bush was telling the truth to the American people, just as Jay Rockefeller, Hillary Clinton, John Kerry, Al Gore and every other major democrat was telling the truth when they made public statements and said Hussein was a threat to America.

And the reason Bush was telling the truth is because he believed what EVERY major intelligence agency and government controlling oversight agency, including the Soviet Union AND the United States Congress Intelligence oversight committee's believed based on EVERY NEI put forth at that time. Iraq either had WMD's or had access to WMD's.
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by ziggy Sat Apr 11, 2009 1:01 am

Armon Ayers wrote:The New York Times ^ | Sept 18, 1987 | EJ Dionne

Senator Joseph R. Biden Jr., a Democratic Presidential candidate, was accused of plagiarism while in his first year at Syracuse University Law School, academic officials familiar with Mr. Biden's record said today.

Mr. Biden, who as chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee is presiding over the hearings on the Supreme Court nomination of Judge Robert H. Bork, has called a news conference for 9 A.M. Thursday to discuss this charge and reports that he has lifted material from speeches by other politicians to use in his public addresses.

Liar, liar pants on fire!

SamCogar wrote:

Aaron wrote:Ziggy thinks everyone is a liar as that's what he sees everytime he looks in a mirror.

So then was Biden NOT a liar about Iraq, or was Rove right about Biden being a liar? Between the 3 of you, you are trying to have it both ways.

Like I told Stephanie, if you guys are gonna' tag-team ole' Ziggy, you need to have a common game plan.

Last edited by ziggy on Sat Apr 11, 2009 1:35 am; edited 1 time in total
ziggy
ziggy

Back to top Go down

Post by ziggy Sat Apr 11, 2009 1:14 am

Aaron wrote:Bush was telling the truth to the American people, just as Jay Rockefeller, Hillary Clinton, John Kerry, Al Gore and every other major democrat was telling the truth when they made public statements and said Hussein was a threat to America.

And the reason Bush was telling the truth is because he believed what EVERY major intelligence agency and government controlling oversight agency, including the Soviet Union AND the United States Congress Intelligence oversight committee's believed based on EVERY NEI put forth at that time.

And Bush also knew that the people in the best position to know- the UN weapons inspectors on the ground in Iraq- did not agree with those "massaged" intelligence estimates.

But either way, indulging your fantasies for a minute, how could all those absolutely honest Democratic and Republican politicians in Congress and in the Bush administration, and those absolutely certain intelligence experts have gotten it all so wrong?

Iraq either had WMD's or had access to WMD's.

Yeah, and Donnie Rumsfeld not only believed Iraq had them, he and his buddies knew where they were. I mean, that's what he said, right?

It was all such a charade of political showmanship run amuck. And remember, just as with Vietnam, we told you that it was a pack of goddamned lies- months before the US invaded Iraq.
ziggy
ziggy

Back to top Go down

Post by ohio county Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:28 am

Boys, you do what you want. You're going to anyway.

Ziggy is many things but he is not a liar.

I know you like to argue. I do, too. The number of people who come here to argue has dwindled and about all we have left are like-minded folks. The quality of our arguments had to suffer.

Let's not eat each other.
ohio county
ohio county

Number of posts : 3207

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephanie Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:14 am

Aaron,

When you begin a post by calling another poster a "dumb markist", I can't even read what you've written.

The bottom line in all this is that we've been lied to so many times by so many government officials, elected and appointed, we can never be sure what the truth is other than the truth that they are all a pack of damn liars.

I don't understand why you guys get so angry with each other that you resort to name calling and personal insults. Not one of us, not me, not Ziggy or Aaron or Sam has ever done anything that I know of worthy of the condemnation our public officials truly deserve.

They are the god damned liars. They are the people destroying lives and families and communities and nations. Beating each other up over who amoung them knew what and when and who told the first lie doesn't resolve anything. Face the truth that they can't be trusted and let's get to work on finding people of integrity to replace the Bushes and the Kennedys and the Obamas and the scum they bring with them to Washington hellbent on destroying our way of life.
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Number of posts : 6556

https://gazzfriends.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:05 am

Stephanie wrote:Aaron,

When you begin a post by calling another poster a "dumb markist", I can't even read what you've written.

Ziggy wasn't questioning career politicians, he was calling career intelligence people liars and questioning their honor, their service and their integrity.

These are people who have dedicated their lives, made sacrifices beyond what you and I can imagine, and place the safety of American citizens above all else on a daily basis to provide us with our freedom and our safety.

Many of them risk their lives gathering the information needed to present to our leaders unbiased national intelligence estimates, to both the legislative and executive branches of government, and for someone like Ziggy to question those people, I will not set idly by and say nothing.

If you think I’m wrong, send an email to one of our infrequent members who I believe either works or did work in the intelligence field. Ask him what he thinks of these people and what Ziggy is saying about them.

Ask him if he thinks they are a bunch of liars out for political gain as Ziggy has so emphatically stated and you seem to be agreeing with or if maybe he thinks they’re American heroes placing others freedom and security above their own lives.

Somehow I don’t think he would probably tend to agree with what I'm saying regardless of how I started the response.
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:12 am

ohio county wrote:Boys, you do what you want. You're going to anyway.

Ziggy is many things but he is not a liar.

I know you like to argue. I do, too. The number of people who come here to argue has dwindled and about all we have left are like-minded folks. The quality of our arguments had to suffer.

Let's not eat each other.

Perhaps you're right Ohio.

About the number dwindling.

As I've only caught Ziggy in two specific lies, I don't know that makes him a liar.

Based on numerous post, we all know he plays word games and he constantly distorts the truth but that doesn't necessary may make him a liar.

I guess that is up to each person to individually decide.
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by SamCogar Sat Apr 11, 2009 11:47 am

ohio county wrote:Obama still condemns Bush's use of "state secrets" to fend off legal action. In fact, his campaign website still carries his condemnation:

Secrecy Dominates Government Actions: The Bush administration has ignored public disclosure rules and has invoked a legal tool known as the "state secrets" privilege more than any other previous administration to get cases thrown out of civil court.
http://www.barackobama.com/issues/ethics/

Must be a little tough to keep a straight face since his administration has already used the "state secrets" gambit three times:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/04/09/gibbs-obama-stands-by-doj_n_185300.html

Well "DUH", the Bush administration is the 1st one ever that the Democrats attempted any and everything possible to defame, sue, impeach and discredit.

The "Bush Haters" left No Stones Unthrown in their attempts to get rid of him. Even treasonable acts of "leaking" Secret Classified intel/info to the media.

SamCogar

Number of posts : 6238

Back to top Go down

Post by ziggy Sat Apr 11, 2009 2:01 pm

Ziggy wasn't questioning career politicians, he was calling career intelligence people liars and questioning their honor, their service and their integrity.

Or was it the Bush spin machine that was dishonoring their honor and their service:

In late January 2003, as Secretary of State Colin Powell prepared to argue the Bush administration's case against Iraq at the United Nations, veteran CIA officer Tyler Drumheller sat down with a classified draft of Powell's speech to look for errors. He found a whopper: a claim about mobile biological labs built by Iraq for germ warfare.

Drumheller instantly recognized the source, an Iraqi defector suspected of being mentally unstable and a liar. The CIA officer took his pen, he recounted in an interview, and crossed out the whole paragraph.

A few days later, the lines were back in the speech. Powell stood before the U.N. Security Council on Feb. 5 and said: "We have first-hand descriptions of biological weapons factories on wheels and on rails."

The sentence took Drumheller completely by surprise.

"We thought we had taken care of the problem," said the man who was the CIA's European operations chief before retiring last year, "but I turn on the television and there it was, again."

Other warnings came prior to President Bush's State of the Union address on Jan. 28, 2003. In the same speech that contained the now famous "16 words" on Iraqi attempts to acquire uranium, Bush spoke in far greater detail about mobile labs "designed to produce germ warfare agents."

The warnings triggered debates within the CIA but ultimately made no visible impact at the top, current and former intelligence officials said. In briefing Powell before his U.N. speech, George Tenet, then the CIA director, personally vouched for the accuracy of the mobile-lab claim, according to participants in the briefing. Tenet now says he did not learn of the problems with Curveball until much later and that he received no warnings from Drumheller or anyone else.

"No one mentioned Drumheller, or Curveball," Lawrence B. Wilkerson, Powell's chief of staff at the time, said in an interview. "I didn't know the name Curveball until months afterward."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/06/24/AR2006062401081.html
ziggy
ziggy

Back to top Go down

Post by ziggy Sat Apr 11, 2009 2:13 pm

And we can suppose that all this is Ziggy's doings too, right:

........................................... But a review of the facts shows the intelligence community repeatedly warned the Bush Administration about the weakness of its case, but was circumvented, overruled, and ignored. The following is year-by-year timeline of those warnings.

In 2001 and before, intelligence agencies noted that Saddam Hussein was effectively contained after the Gulf War. In fact, former weapons inspector David Kay now admits that the previous policy of containment – including the 1998 bombing of Iraq – destroyed any remaining infrastructure of potential WMD programs.

FEBRUARY 23 & 24, 2001 – COLIN POWELL SAYS IRAQ IS CONTAINED: "I think we ought to declare [the containment policy] a success. We have kept him contained, kept him in his box." He added Saddam "is unable to project conventional power against his neighbors" and that "he threatens not the United States." [Source: State Department, 2/23/01 and 2/24/01]

SEPTEMBER 16, 2001 – CHENEY ACKNOWLEDGES IRAQ IS CONTAINED: Vice President Dick Cheney said that "Saddam Hussein is bottled up" – a confirmation of the intelligence he had received. [Source: Meet the Press, 9/16/2001]

SEPTEMBER 2001 – WHITE HOUSE CREATES OFFICE TO CIRCUMVENT INTEL AGENCIES: The Pentagon creates the Office of Special Plans "in order to find evidence of what Wolfowitz and his boss, Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld, believed to be true-that Saddam Hussein had close ties to Al Qaeda, and that Iraq had an enormous arsenal of chemical, biological, and possibly even nuclear weapons that threatened the region and, potentially, the United States��?The rising influence of the Office of Special Plans was accompanied by a decline in the influence of the c=I.A. and the D.I.A. bringing about a crucial change of direction in the American intelligence community." The office, hand-picked by the Administration, specifically "cherry-picked intelligence that supported its pre-existing position and ignoring all the rest" while officials deliberately "bypassed the government's customary procedures for vetting intelligence." [Sources: New Yorker, 5/12/03; Atlantic Monthly, 1/04; New Yorker, 10/20/03]

Throughout 2002, the CIA, DIA, Department of Energy and United Nations all warned the Bush Administration that its selective use of intelligence was painting a weak WMD case. Those warnings were repeatedly ignored.

JANUARY, 2002 – TENET DOES NOT MENTION IRAQ IN NUCLEAR THREAT REPORT: "In CIA Director George Tenet's January 2002 review of global weapons-technology proliferation, he did not even mention a nuclear threat from Iraq, though he did warn of one from North Korea." [Source: The New Republic, 6/30/03]

FEBRUARY 6, 2002 – CIA SAYS IRAQ HAS NOT PROVIDED WMD TO TERRORISTS: "The Central Intelligence Agency has no evidence that Iraq has engaged in terrorist operations against the United States in nearly a decade, and the agency is also convinced that President Saddam Hussein has not provided chemical or biological weapons to Al Qaeda or related terrorist groups, according to several American intelligence officials." [Source: NY Times, 2/6/02]

APRIL 15, 2002 – WOLFOWITZ ANGERED AT CIA FOR NOT UNDERMINING U.N. REPORT: After receiving a CIA report that concluded that Hans Blix had conducted inspections of Iraq's declared nuclear power plants "fully within the parameters he could operate" when Blix was head of the international agency responsible for these inspections prior to the Gulf War, a report indicated that "Wolfowitz ‘hit the ceiling’ because the CIA failed to provide sufficient ammunition to undermine Blix and, by association, the new U.N. weapons inspection program." [Source: W. Post, 4/15/02]

SUMMER, 2002 – CIA WARNINGS TO WHITE HOUSE EXPOSED: "In the late summer of 2002, Sen. Graham had requested from Tenet an analysis of the Iraqi threat. According to knowledgeable sources, he received a 25-page classified response reflecting the balanced view that had prevailed earlier among the intelligence agencies--noting, for example, that evidence of an Iraqi nuclear program or a link to Al Qaeda was inconclusive. Early that September, the committee also received the DIA's classified analysis, which reflected the same cautious assessments. But committee members became worried when, midway through the month, they received a new CIA analysis of the threat that highlighted the Bush administration's claims and consigned skepticism to footnotes." [Source: The New Republic, 6/30/03]

SEPTEMBER, 2002 – DIA TELLS WHITE HOUSE NO EVIDENCE OF CHEMICAL WEAPONS: "An unclassified excerpt of a 2002 Defense Intelligence Agency study on Iraq's chemical warfare program in which it stated that there is ‘no reliable information on whether Iraq is producing and stockpiling chemical weapons, or where Iraq has - or will - establish its chemical warfare agent production facilities.’" The report also said, "A substantial amount of Iraq's chemical warfare agents, precursors, munitions, and production equipment were destroyed between 1991 and 1998 as a result of Operation Desert Storm and UNSCOM (United Nations Special Commission) actions." [Source: Carnegie Endowment for Peace, 6/13/03; DIA report, 2002]

SEPTEMBER 20, 2002 – DEPT. OF ENERGY TELLS WHITE HOUSE OF NUKE DOUBTS: "Doubts about the quality of some of the evidence that the United States is using to make its case that Iraq is trying to build a nuclear bomb emerged Thursday. While National Security Adviser Condi Rice stated on 9/8 that imported aluminum tubes ‘are only really suited for nuclear weapons programs, centrifuge programs’ a growing number of experts say that the administration has not presented convincing evidence that the tubes were intended for use in uranium enrichment rather than for artillery rocket tubes or other uses. Former U.N. weapons inspector David Albright said he found significant disagreement among scientists within the Department of Energy and other agencies about the certainty of the evidence." [Source: UPI, 9/20/02]

OCTOBER 2002 – CIA DIRECTLY WARNS WHITE HOUSE: "The CIA sent two memos to the White House in October voicing strong doubts about a claim President Bush made three months later in the State of the Union address that Iraq was trying to buy nuclear materials in Africa." [Source: Washington Post, 7/23/03]

OCTOBER 2002 — STATE DEPT. WARNS WHITE HOUSE ON NUKE CHARGES: The State Department’s Intelligence and Research Department dissented from the conclusion in the National Intelligence Estimate on Iraq’s WMD capabilities that Iraq was reconstituting its nuclear weapons program. "The activities we have detected do not ... add up to a compelling case that Iraq is currently pursuing what INR would consider to be an integrated and comprehensive approach to acquiring nuclear weapons." INR accepted the judgment by Energy Department technical experts that aluminum tubes Iraq was seeking to acquire, which was the central basis for the conclusion that Iraq was reconstituting its nuclear weapons program, were ill-suited to build centrifuges for enriching uranium. [Source, Declassified Iraq NIE released 7/2003]

OCTOBER 2002 – AIR FORCE WARNS WHITE HOUSE: "The government organization most knowledgeable about the United States' UAV program -- the Air Force's National Air and Space Intelligence Center -- had sharply disputed the notion that Iraq's UAVs were being designed as attack weapons" – a WMD claim President Bush used in his October 7 speech on Iraqi WMD, just three days before the congressional vote authorizing the president to use force. [Source: Washington Post, 9/26/03]

Instead of listening to the repeated warnings from the intelligence community, intelligence officials say the White House instead pressured them to conform their reports to fit a pre-determined policy. Meanwhile, more evidence from international institutions poured in that the White House’s claims were not well-grounded.

LATE 2002-EARLY 2003 – CHENEY PRESSURES CIA TO CHANGE INTELLIGENCE: "Vice President Dick Cheney's repeated trips to CIA headquarters in the run-up to the war for unusual, face-to-face sessions with intelligence analysts poring over Iraqi data. The pressure on the intelligence community to document the administration's claims that the Iraqi regime had ties to al-Qaida and was pursuing a nuclear weapons capacity was ‘unremitting,’ said former CIA counterterrorism chief Vince Cannistraro, echoing several other intelligence veterans interviewed." Additionally, CIA officials "charged that the hard-liners in the Defense Department and vice president's office had 'pressured' agency analysts to paint a dire picture of Saddam's capabilities and intentions." [Sources: Dallas Morning News, 7/28/03; Newsweek, 7/28/03]

JANUARY, 2003 – STATE DEPT. INTEL BUREAU REITERATE WARNING TO POWELL: "The Bureau of Intelligence and Research (INR), the State Department's in-house analysis unit, and nuclear experts at the Department of Energy are understood to have explicitly warned Secretary of State Colin Powell during the preparation of his speech that the evidence was questionable. The Bureau reiterated to Mr. Powell during the preparation of his February speech that its analysts were not persuaded that the aluminum tubes the Administration was citing could be used in centrifuges to enrich uranium." [Source: Financial Times, 7/30/03]

FEBRUARY 14, 2003 – UN WARNS WHITE HOUSE THAT NO WMD HAVE BEEN FOUND: "In their third progress report since U.N. Security Council Resolution 1441 was passed in November, inspectors told the council they had not found any weapons of mass destruction." Weapons inspector Hans Blix told the U.N. Security Council they had been unable to find any WMD in Iraq and that more time was needed for inspections. [Source: CNN, 2/14/03]

FEBRUARY 15, 2003 – IAEA WARNS WHITE HOUSE NO NUCLEAR EVIDENCE: The head of the IAEA told the U.N. in February that "We have to date found no evidence of ongoing prohibited nuclear or nuclear-related activities in Iraq." The IAEA examined "2,000 pages of documents seized Jan. 16 from an Iraqi scientist's home -- evidence, the Americans said, that the Iraqi regime was hiding government documents in private homes. The documents, including some marked classified, appear to be the scientist's personal files." However, "the documents, which contained information about the use of laser technology to enrich uranium, refer to activities and sites known to the IAEA and do not change the agency's conclusions about Iraq's laser enrichment program." [Source: Wash. Post, 2/15/03]

FEBURARY 24, 2003 – CIA WARNS WHITE HOUSE ‘NO DIRECT EVIDENCE’ OF WMD: "A CIA report on proliferation released this week says the intelligence community has no ‘direct evidence’ that Iraq has succeeded in reconstituting its biological, chemical, nuclear or long-range missile programs in the two years since U.N. weapons inspectors left and U.S. planes bombed Iraqi facilities. ‘We do not have any direct evidence that Iraq has used the period since Desert Fox to reconstitute its Weapons of Mass Destruction programs,’ said the agency in its semi-annual report on proliferation activities." [NBC News, 2/24/03]

MARCH 7, 2003 – IAEA REITERATES TO WHITE HOUSE NO EVIDENCE OF NUKES: IAEA Director Mohamed ElBaradei said nuclear experts have found "no indication" that Iraq has tried to import high-strength aluminum tubes or specialized ring magnets for centrifuge enrichment of uranium. For months, American officials had "cited Iraq's importation of these tubes as evidence that Mr. Hussein's scientists have been seeking to develop a nuclear capability." ElBaradei also noted said "the IAEA has concluded, with the concurrence of outside experts, that documents which formed the basis for the [President Bush’s assertion] of recent uranium transactions between Iraq and Niger are in fact not authentic." When questioned about this on Meet the Press, Vice President Dick Cheney simply said "Mr. ElBaradei is, frankly, wrong." [Source: NY Times, 3/7/03: Meet the Press, 3/16/03]

MAY 30, 2003 – INTEL PROFESSIONALS ADMIT THEY WERE PRESSURED: "A growing number of U.S. national security professionals are accusing the Bush administration of slanting the facts and hijacking the $30 billion intelligence apparatus to justify its rush to war in Iraq . A key target is a four-person Pentagon team that reviewed material gathered by other intelligence outfits for any missed bits that might have tied Iraqi President Saddam Hussein to banned weapons or terrorist groups. This team, self-mockingly called the Cabal, 'cherry-picked the intelligence stream' in a bid to portray Iraq as an imminent threat, said Patrick Lang, a official at the Defense Intelligence Agency (DIA). The DIA was "exploited and abused and bypassed in the process of making the case for war in Iraq based on the presence of WMD," or weapons of mass destruction, he said. Greg Thielmann, an intelligence official in the State Department, said it appeared to him that intelligence had been shaped 'from the top down.'" [Reuters, 5/30/03 ]

JUNE 6, 2003 – INTELLIGENCE HISTORIAN SAYS INTEL WAS HYPED: "The CIA bowed to Bush administration pressure to hype the threat of Saddam Hussein's weapons programs ahead of the U.S.-led war in Iraq , a leading national security historian concluded in a detailed study of the spy agency's public pronouncements." [Reuters, 6/6/03]

http://www.americanprogress.org/issues/kfiles/b24889.html

Last edited by ziggy on Sat Apr 11, 2009 2:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
ziggy
ziggy

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Sat Apr 11, 2009 2:14 pm

And all of that information, including that regarding the Iraqi defector Drumheller referred to, was given to Congress in intelligence briefings. Yet Jay Rockefeller, as the ranking democrat on the Senate Select Committee on Intelligence and a member of the gang of 8 made the following statement about Hussein and Iraq with the same information the administration had.

There is unmistakable evidence that Saddam Hussein is working aggressively to develop nuclear weapons and will likely have nuclear weapons within the next five years... The global community – in the form of the United Nations – has declared repeatedly, through multiple resolutions, that the frightening prospect of a nuclear-armed Saddam cannot come to pass. But the U.N. has been unable to enforce those resolutions. We must eliminate that threat now, before it is too late... Saddam Hussein represents a grave threat to the United States, and I have concluded we must use force to deal with him if all other means fail

So why didn’t Jay Rockefeller, Joe Biden, Harry Reid or Nancy Pelosi call Powell on the speech?
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Sat Apr 11, 2009 2:19 pm

And once again, on EVERY item on your timeline, Congressional intelligence members, including democrats had access to the same information. You seem to think I'm defending GWB when that is not the case. I'm defending the intelligence community and placing equal blame on Congress because they had access to the exact same information the administration did.

And all you're doing is proving that Congress, which voted overwhelming to support the war, are just as culpable for Iraq as the executive branch.

Hell, one could argue that since it is the legislative branch's constitutional duty as a check and balance to executive power to authorize war, that they are more responsible for Iraq but that's just splitting hairs and I think you‘ve already proven my point.

Thanks.
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by ziggy Sat Apr 11, 2009 2:32 pm

So was it Ziggy "calling career intelligence people liars and questioning their honor, their service and their integrity"- or was Ziggy simply pointing out that the Bush administration had an agenda of being hell-bent on going to war in Iraq- with little or no regard to what the career intelligence people were saying about the weakness of the so-called "evidence" the Cheney-Bush mouthpieces were spouting?

You are trying to blame Ziggy for something that Ziggy and others said back at the time was all so bogus.
ziggy
ziggy

Back to top Go down

Post by ziggy Sat Apr 11, 2009 2:38 pm

And all you're doing is proving that Congress, which voted overwhelming to support the war, are just as culpable for Iraq as the executive branch.

Hell, one could argue that since it is the legislative branch's constitutional duty as a check and balance to executive power to authorize war, that they are more responsible for Iraq but that's just splitting hairs and I think you‘ve already proven my point.

I have said repeatedly here that Congress in 2002- just as Congress was in 1964- was more interested in political showmanship than in making honest analysis of the situation as presented to it.

Either way, Congress did not order one single American soldiier to invade Iraq. Bush did that even as the on the grounds weapons inspectors were begging to be allowed to complete their inspections. We had to wonder then why Bush did not want those inspections completed. Now we know why.
ziggy
ziggy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next