WV Forum for News, Politics, and Sports
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Braxton couple arrested trying to sell drugs to pros. atty.

Go down

Braxton couple arrested trying to sell drugs to pros. atty. Empty Braxton couple arrested trying to sell drugs to pros. atty.

Post by ziggy Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:49 pm

CHARLESTON, W.Va. -- Webster County prosecutor Dwayne C. Vandevender never uses the text message feature on his cell phone because it costs too much.

So he was surprised to get a text message Wednesday asking if he wanted to buy some drugs.

Vandevender said he was in his office on Wednesday when a text message came through. "Are you looking?" the message read, a common inquiry made by drug dealers seeking customers.

Vandevender recognized the query immediately. "I've heard that on body wire tapes a hundred times," he said.

But at first the prosecutor didn't know if he should take the message seriously.

"When I first got the message I thought one of the officers was playing a joke on me," he said. "Officers are pranksters sometimes."

But Vandevender asked a Child Protective Services worker who happened to be in the office to call the texter's cell phone and find out if the offer was for real.

Vandevender then called Cpl. A.J. Shingler of the State Police Bureau of Criminal Investigations. Shingler was able to track the number to a woman in neighboring Braxton County, so Vandevender texted back wanting to know what the woman had to offer.

Vandevender was told she had hydrocodone pills for $8 apiece. Vandevender replied that he'd take six of them.

After further text messages, the woman agreed to have her boyfriend meet Vandevender at a Braxton County Kroger store to exchange the drugs.

Vandevender gave the woman the description of a car he would be riding in to make the exchange. But instead of Vandevender, the unmarked police car was carrying Shingler and Trooper Jesse Kindcaid of the Braxton County State Police detachment.

"I guess they were pretty surprised to see two troopers jump out of the vehicle," Vandevender said.

Michael Cowger, 24 and Anna Green, 23, both of Braxton County, were arrested and charged with conspiracy and possession with intent to deliver hydrocodone.

Vandevender said troopers found hydrocodone pills in the car and more in the couple's home. They also found the cell phone Green allegedly used to text Vandevender.

Vandevender said Green apparently thought she was texting someone else. He said she has a friend in Braxton County whose cell phone number is one digit off from Vandevender's number, and that she accidentally entered Vandevender's number in place of her friend's number.

Vandevender still has to pay for the text messages.

"I spent three bucks to catch two drug dealers," he said

http://www.wvgazette.com/News/200904160264?page=2&build=cache
ziggy
ziggy

Number of posts : 5731
Registration date : 2007-12-28

Back to top Go down