WV Forum for News, Politics, and Sports
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

It's those dastardly cigarettes, stupid.

2 posters

Go down

It's those dastardly cigarettes, stupid. Empty It's those dastardly cigarettes, stupid.

Post by SamCogar Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:43 am

But for years, scientists have observed that chimps have a surprisingly low cancer rate compared to humans. To find out why this might be, John McDonald, a researcher at Georgia Tech, turned to the human and chimp genome.

McDonald wanted to test a hypothesis that the difference in cancer rates between the species could be due to differences in the way their cells self-destroy themselves — an important biological process known as programmed cell death or apoptosis.

The researchers saw that some of the genes for apoptosis were expressed differently in humans than in chimps, and their data suggests that human cells are not as efficient at carrying out programmed cell death as chimp cells, at least in the brain and other studied tissues.

What does apoptosis have to do with cancer?

Reduced amounts of apoptosis have been associated with an increased risk of cancer. Also, several genes involved in apoptosis are thought to "malfunction" in cancer cells. This makes sense: cancer cells divide uncontrollably and somehow seem to override the signal to self-destruct.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,525693,00.html

It is a pure waste of money to be conducting such research because no one is going to believe that anything other than cigarettes is the cause of all cancers.

Effective brainwashing of the populace can not be un-dun. Only the next generation can be taught to believe differently.

It's those dastardly cigarettes, stupid. 197570 It's those dastardly cigarettes, stupid. 197570 It's those dastardly cigarettes, stupid. 197570

SamCogar

Number of posts : 6238
Registration date : 2007-12-28

Back to top Go down

It's those dastardly cigarettes, stupid. Empty Re: It's those dastardly cigarettes, stupid.

Post by Cato Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:15 am

SamCogar wrote:
But for years, scientists have observed that chimps have a surprisingly low cancer rate compared to humans. To find out why this might be, John McDonald, a researcher at Georgia Tech, turned to the human and chimp genome.

McDonald wanted to test a hypothesis that the difference in cancer rates between the species could be due to differences in the way their cells self-destroy themselves — an important biological process known as programmed cell death or apoptosis.

The researchers saw that some of the genes for apoptosis were expressed differently in humans than in chimps, and their data suggests that human cells are not as efficient at carrying out programmed cell death as chimp cells, at least in the brain and other studied tissues.

What does apoptosis have to do with cancer?

Reduced amounts of apoptosis have been associated with an increased risk of cancer. Also, several genes involved in apoptosis are thought to "malfunction" in cancer cells. This makes sense: cancer cells divide uncontrollably and somehow seem to override the signal to self-destruct.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,525693,00.html

It is a pure waste of money to be conducting such research because no one is going to believe that anything other than cigarettes is the cause of all cancers.

Effective brainwashing of the populace can not be un-dun. Only the next generation can be taught to believe differently.

It's those dastardly cigarettes, stupid. 197570 It's those dastardly cigarettes, stupid. 197570 It's those dastardly cigarettes, stupid. 197570

I don't which I dislike the most, A**holes who smoke around me or the A**holes in government that think it is their god given duty to limit the liberty of people for the sake of health. Frankly, I don't give a tinkers hoot if a person smokes or chews. Both habits are filthy in my opinion and on top of that they just plain stink. I just don't want it around me. However, I'm more than man enough to tell someone to put their smoke out if it is bothering me. Additionally, I don't have to eat at a resturant that allows smoking. If the resturant owner wants to allow tobacco, I guess he doesn't need my money and I can go elsewhere. That is how liberty and self determination works. It is too stinking bad the "do gooder" poloiticans have failed to conprehend that fact.

By the way, Sammie tobacco doesn't cause cancer, it only increases the risk of contracting one of the many illness that we know as cancer. If people choose to keep their risk factors lower then they should avoid using tobacco.

Cato

Number of posts : 2010

Back to top Go down

It's those dastardly cigarettes, stupid. Empty Re: It's those dastardly cigarettes, stupid.

Post by SamCogar Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:28 am

Cato wrote: By the way, Sammie tobacco doesn't cause cancer, it only increases the risk of contracting one of the many illness that we know as cancer. If people choose to keep their risk factors lower then they should avoid using tobacco.

Yes Willy, and sex, consenual or otherwise, doesn't cause veneral diseases, it only increases the risk of contracting one of the many illness that we know as STD's.

But my statement is a known and proven fact.

SamCogar

Number of posts : 6238

Back to top Go down

Post by Cato Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:41 pm

SamCogar wrote:
Cato wrote: By the way, Sammie tobacco doesn't cause cancer, it only increases the risk of contracting one of the many illness that we know as cancer. If people choose to keep their risk factors lower then they should avoid using tobacco.

Yes Willy, and sex, consenual or otherwise, doesn't cause veneral diseases, it only increases the risk of contracting one of the many illness that we know as STD's.

But my statement is a known and proven fact.

So

Cato

Number of posts : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down