WV Forum for News, Politics, and Sports
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Obama fires critic of crony

2 posters

Go down

Obama fires critic of crony Empty Obama fires critic of crony

Post by Keli Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:21 pm

WASHINGTON – An inspector general fired by President Barack Obama said Friday he acted "with the highest integrity" in investigating AmeriCorps and other government-funded national service programs. Gerald Walpin said in an interview with The Associated Press that he reported facts and conclusions "in an honest and full way" while serving as inspector general at the Corporation for National and Community Service.

In a letter to Congress on Thursday, Obama said he had lost confidence in Walpin and was removing him from the position.

Walpin defended his work on Friday. "I know that I and my office acted with the highest integrity as an independent inspector general should act," he said.

Obama's move follows an investigation by Walpin finding misuse of federal grants by a nonprofit education group led by Sacramento Mayor Kevin Johnson, who is an Obama supporter and former NBA basketball star. Johnson and a nonprofit education academy he founded ultimately agree to repay half of $847,000 in grants it had received from AmeriCorps.

Walpin was criticized by the acting U.S. attorney in Sacramento for the way he handled the investigation of Johnson and St. HOPE Academy.

"It is vital that I have the fullest confidence in the appointees serving as inspectors general," Obama said in the letter to House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., and Vice President Joe Biden, who also serves as president of the Senate. "That is no longer the case with regard to this inspector general."
Keli
Keli

Number of posts : 3608
Location : Zarr Chasm, WV--between Flotsam and Belch on the Cheat River
Registration date : 2007-12-28

Back to top Go down

Obama fires critic of crony Empty Re: Obama fires critic of crony

Post by SamCogar Sat Jun 13, 2009 5:29 am

There is "more than one way to skin a cat".

And in the above case, ...... just a sliight difference than what Aaron previously stated, to wit:

Aaron wrote:That's why Obama reduced funding for enforcement of labor corruption, so that no one could PROVE in court that laws were being broken, right Hacker.

One reduces funding for enforcement, ...... the other eliminates those doing the enforcement, ....... and Obama's intended results are achieved in both "skinned cat" cases.

Obama fires critic of crony 197570 Obama fires critic of crony 197570 Obama fires critic of crony 197570

SamCogar

Number of posts : 6238
Registration date : 2007-12-28

Back to top Go down