WV Forum for News, Politics, and Sports
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Obama Seeks Health Care Push From Pulpit

+4
ohio county
sodbuster
Ich bin Ala-awkbarph
Stephanie
8 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Obama Seeks Health Care Push From Pulpit - Page 2 Empty Re: Obama Seeks Health Care Push From Pulpit

Post by Cato Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:16 pm

ohio county wrote:If you had to pay for doctor's visits, you'd refuse to show up when you didn't need to go, refuse to take the unnecessary tests, and force your doctor to give you some value for your money. A doctor's routine office visit wouldn't cost $75 if it was subjected to the forces of the free market.

And therein is a part of the problem, lack of competition.

Cato

Number of posts : 2010
Registration date : 2007-12-28

Back to top Go down

Obama Seeks Health Care Push From Pulpit - Page 2 Empty Re: Obama Seeks Health Care Push From Pulpit

Post by Stephanie Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:12 pm

I'm no the sharpest tool in the shed, and maybe I'm a dreamer, but I really believe that if someone came along and stood up for our founding principles, individualism, personal responsibility, and free markets, they could give the present gaggle of parasites a run for their money.

Somebody did, Cato, and he was crushed in the primaries. His name is Ron Paul. BTW........DOCTOR Ron Paul is a big proponent of just the kind of health insurance you're discussing. Dr. Paul points out that your auto insurance doesn't cover oil changes and new tires and your home owners insurance doesn't cover the cost to repaint your home or update your kitchen. It's been a number of years since I've worked with medical insurance but I seem to recall that was called "major medical".

Major medical typically covers hospitalization, fees for surgeons, physical therapists, lab tests and durable medical supplies among other things. This is done after you reach a deductible. Such plans cost a lot less because they're not covering routine office visits and the like. I wish my husband's employer offered a major medical plan because if they did we would enroll in that plan. Unfortunately we're stuck with a PPO that we can't afford. We pay $225 every two weeks! That's almost $6k a year. We are seriously considering opting out when open enrollment roles around again. We're shopping for catastrophic health insurance hoping we can save a couple of grand a year.
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Number of posts : 6556

https://gazzfriends.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Cato Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:06 am

Stephanie wrote:
I'm no the sharpest tool in the shed, and maybe I'm a dreamer, but I really believe that if someone came along and stood up for our founding principles, individualism, personal responsibility, and free markets, they could give the present gaggle of parasites a run for their money.

Somebody did, Cato, and he was crushed in the primaries. His name is Ron Paul. BTW........DOCTOR Ron Paul is a big proponent of just the kind of health insurance you're discussing. Dr. Paul points out that your auto insurance doesn't cover oil changes and new tires and your home owners insurance doesn't cover the cost to repaint your home or update your kitchen. It's been a number of years since I've worked with medical insurance but I seem to recall that was called "major medical".

Maybe then I'm wrong

Stephanie wrote:Major medical typically covers hospitalization, fees for surgeons, physical therapists, lab tests and durable medical supplies among other things. This is done after you reach a deductible. Such plans cost a lot less because they're not covering routine office visits and the like. I wish my husband's employer offered a major medical plan because if they did we would enroll in that plan. Unfortunately we're stuck with a PPO that we can't afford. We pay $225 every two weeks! That's almost $6k a year. We are seriously considering opting out when open enrollment roles around again. We're shopping for catastrophic health insurance hoping we can save a couple of grand a year.

I too am in a PPO. I would prefer having just major medical, also. I have a medical savings account through work and my wife I carry a cancer and catastropic medical incident policy that pays directly to us if something happens. We've have used the policy twice and it worked out well and we use the medical savings account to cover what our insurance doesn't. That also works out well, since I don't have to answer anyone when we use the MSA.

The problem today as I see it is that people want their cake and eat it also. They want their healthcare cost covered and yet they don't want to pay for it or plan for it. Life just doesn't work that way.

Cato

Back to top Go down

Post by SamCogar Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:36 am

Cato wrote: I too am in a PPO.

I thought your wife was a Teacher? geek geek geek

SamCogar

Number of posts : 6238

Back to top Go down

Post by SamCogar Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:42 am

Stephanie wrote:

Somebody did, Cato, and he was crushed in the primaries. His name is Ron Paul.

Stephanie, me thinks that over the next 3 years that you are going to be reminding quite a few people of that very thing.

Obama Seeks Health Care Push From Pulpit - Page 2 197570 Obama Seeks Health Care Push From Pulpit - Page 2 197570 Obama Seeks Health Care Push From Pulpit - Page 2 197570 Obama Seeks Health Care Push From Pulpit - Page 2 197570 Obama Seeks Health Care Push From Pulpit - Page 2 197570 Obama Seeks Health Care Push From Pulpit - Page 2 197570 Obama Seeks Health Care Push From Pulpit - Page 2 197570 Obama Seeks Health Care Push From Pulpit - Page 2 197570

As that old Dutch proverb says:

Too late we get smart.

SamCogar

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephanie Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:54 am

You know what the worst part of it all is? He'll be about 74 next time. While he takes excellent care of himself, runs several miles a day, the works, I think people will consider him too old next time. Sad

I'd take an elderly Ron Paul over any other candidate I've seen.
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by SamCogar Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:39 am

His son who is running for State Senate in Kentucky, I think, is just like Ron.

SamCogar

Back to top Go down

Post by Cato Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:21 am

SamCogar wrote:
Cato wrote: I too am in a PPO.

I thought your wife was a Teacher? geek geek geek

She is! However WVPEIA is a PPO, with preference given to West Virginia Medical Facilities and doctors. The WVPEIA also uses the Beech Street PPO and Aetna PPO.

Cato

Back to top Go down

Post by ohio county Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:34 pm

Rand Paul is running for the U.S. Senate from Kentucky to replace Jim Bunning.
ohio county
ohio county

Number of posts : 3207

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephanie Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:11 pm

I know and I'm very pleased.

What do you figure his chances are? I don't know anything about KY politics. I figure he's got more national name recognition than his competitors.
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2