WV Forum for News, Politics, and Sports
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Women With Suntans Will Be Arrested, Iran Police Chief Warns

+5
Stephanie
ziggy
TerryRC
Cato
Keli
9 posters

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Women With Suntans Will Be Arrested, Iran Police Chief Warns Empty Women With Suntans Will Be Arrested, Iran Police Chief Warns

Post by Keli Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:48 pm

Women With Suntans Will Be Arrested, Iran Police Chief Warns
NewsCore via FoxNews ^ | April 29, 2010

Women with suntans are violating Islamic law and will be arrested in Iran, the capital city's police chief was reported by The Daily Telegraph as saying Wednesday.

(Excerpt) Read more at foxnews.com ...

HOW CAN THEY TELL IF SHE HAS A TAN IF SHE IS WEARING A BURQA?
Keli
Keli

Number of posts : 3608
Location : Zarr Chasm, WV--between Flotsam and Belch on the Cheat River
Registration date : 2007-12-28

Back to top Go down

Women With Suntans Will Be Arrested, Iran Police Chief Warns Empty Re: Women With Suntans Will Be Arrested, Iran Police Chief Warns

Post by Cato Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:55 am

You know, I'm coming to the conclusion that muslim men like each other better than the opposite sex. Either that or they are afraid of women, thus they do all in their power to keep them under their thumb.

Cato

Number of posts : 2010

Back to top Go down

Women With Suntans Will Be Arrested, Iran Police Chief Warns Empty Re: Women With Suntans Will Be Arrested, Iran Police Chief Warns

Post by TerryRC Sat May 01, 2010 6:19 am

Look at the rap women get in the bible. Woman gets us thrown out of the garden. Woman gets John the Baptist killed. Women get blamed for everything.

As for keeping women under their thumb, when did this "christian nation" give women the vote? Equal rights? Not until the last century.

Christians are no shining example of NOT keeping women at heel...

TerryRC

Number of posts : 2762
Registration date : 2008-01-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Cato Sat May 01, 2010 5:45 pm

TerryRC wrote:Look at the rap women get in the bible. Woman gets us thrown out of the garden. Woman gets John the Baptist killed. Women get blamed for everything.

As for keeping women under their thumb, when did this "christian nation" give women the vote? Equal rights? Not until the last century.

Christians are no shining example of NOT keeping women at heel...

Tell me Terry what was the religion of the folks that fought for such things as anti-slavery, women's rights, and the right to vote for women? Were they muslims?

By the way I still think muslim men are gay!!!!

Cato

Back to top Go down

Post by ziggy Sun May 02, 2010 10:22 pm

What was the religion of the folks who kept slavery going in North America for hundreds of years? What was the religion of those behind the Salem Witch Trials? What was the religion of the folks who kept American women and blacks, "in their place" for 100 years and more after the 14th Amendment was enacted?

It was the skeptics of and the challengers to the inherent paternalistic and militaristic power structure of Christianity who became the 19th century slavery abolitionists, the leaders of the women's suffrage movement, and of the 20th century civil rights movement and anti-war movements. Your beloved "Christians" jeered and mocked these radical leaders as heretics, agents of the devil, ungodly, un-American and other derisive names not fit for people whose only sin was to challenge the prevailing power structure in pursuit of more liberty and more justice for all.
ziggy
ziggy

Number of posts : 5731

Back to top Go down

Post by ziggy Sun May 02, 2010 10:34 pm

Somehow I doubt that Cato would have claimed Lucy Stone, Susan B. Anthony, Margaret Mead, Elizabeth Stanton or Gerrit Smith as the right kind of Christians upholding his God's absolute "standards" of the time.
ziggy
ziggy

Back to top Go down

Post by Cato Mon May 03, 2010 1:19 pm

ziggy wrote:Somehow I doubt that Cato would have claimed Lucy Stone, Susan B. Anthony, Margaret Mead, Elizabeth Stanton or Gerrit Smith as the right kind of Christians upholding his God's absolute "standards" of the time.

I wouldn't bet any thing I wanted to keep on that. I'm not like a muslim or a leftist.

Cato

Back to top Go down

Post by Cato Mon May 03, 2010 1:26 pm

ziggy wrote:What was the religion of the folks who kept slavery going in North America for hundreds of years? What was the religion of those behind the Salem Witch Trials? What was the religion of the folks who kept American women and blacks, "in their place" for 100 years and more after the 14th Amendment was enacted?

It was the skeptics of and the challengers to the inherent paternalistic and militaristic power structure of Christianity who became the 19th century slavery abolitionists, the leaders of the women's suffrage movement, and of the 20th century civil rights movement and anti-war movements. Your beloved "Christians" jeered and mocked these radical leaders as heretics, agents of the devil, ungodly, un-American and other derisive names not fit for people whose only sin was to challenge the prevailing power structure in pursuit of more liberty and more justice for all.

And it is your view that it was because these people were christains that, things like the witch trials, slavery, and women not being given the vote took place? You are saying the Christainity as found in the New Testament was the cause? Is that what you are saying?

Cato

Back to top Go down

Post by ziggy Mon May 03, 2010 1:41 pm

Cato wrote:
ziggy wrote:What was the religion of the folks who kept slavery going in North America for hundreds of years? What was the religion of those behind the Salem Witch Trials? What was the religion of the folks who kept American women and blacks, "in their place" for 100 years and more after the 14th Amendment was enacted?

And it is your view that it was because these people were christains that, things like the witch trials, slavery, and women not being given the vote took place? You are saying the Christainity as found in the New Testament was the cause? Is that what you are saying?

I am saying that the authoritarian powers behind these inhuman practices was rooted in and excused by the religion proclaimed by the powerful authorities behind these practices. Most of the "Christianity" of both yesteryear and today claims authority for its doctrines far beyond the words of Jesus in the New Testament.
ziggy
ziggy

Back to top Go down

Post by Cato Mon May 03, 2010 4:37 pm

ziggy wrote:

I am saying that the authoritarian powers behind these inhuman practices was rooted in and excused by the religion proclaimed by the powerful authorities behind these practices. Most of the "Christianity" of both yesteryear and today claims authority for its doctrines far beyond the words of Jesus in the New Testament.

Now, my question is, is Christianity evil or has it been misused as one would misuse a gun in committing a crime

Cato

Back to top Go down

Post by ziggy Mon May 03, 2010 5:37 pm

Cato wrote:
ziggy wrote:

Now, my question is, is Christianity evil or has it been misused as one would misuse a gun in committing a crime

Christianity and the God(s) of Christianity have been used as the authority for much evil in the world over many centuries.

In that context, the Christian religion has been as evil as is the Muslim religion, for example. Some Muslims could suggest, as you seem to suggest about Christianity, that Islamism is not evil but that it has been misused by evil people. But that a virtually meaningless statement. Because if we assert that either Christianity or Islamism is something different than its human practitioners make it, then we are but asserting a distinction without a difference.
ziggy
ziggy

Back to top Go down

Post by Cato Mon May 03, 2010 8:12 pm

ziggy wrote:
Cato wrote:
ziggy wrote:

Christianity and the God(s) of Christianity have been used as the authority for much evil in the world over many centuries.

In that context, the Christian religion has been as evil as is the Muslim religion, for example. Some Muslims could suggest, as you seem to suggest about Christianity, that Islamism is not evil but that it has been misused by evil people. But that a virtually meaningless statement. Because if we assert that either Christianity or Islamism is something different than its human practitioners make it, then we are but asserting a distinction without a difference.

That doesn't answer the question. Let me rephrase. Sticking specifically to christainity, is christainity evil or is how some use christainity evil? Which is it?

Cato

Back to top Go down

Post by ziggy Mon May 03, 2010 10:52 pm

Cato wrote:
ziggy wrote:
Cato wrote:
ziggy wrote:

That doesn't answer the question. Let me rephrase. Sticking specifically to christainity, is christainity evil or is how some use christainity evil? Which is it?

Christianity as it has been practiced by people the world over for almost two thousand years is largely evil, yes. There may have been a few exceptions here and there for very short periods of time. But overall Christianity has done far more to wreck havoc and hell on earth upon mankind than all the small amounts of good it may have ever done sometime or somewhere.
ziggy
ziggy

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephanie Tue May 04, 2010 6:52 am

I remember my grandmother telling me not to read the bible because it was "the devil's work". I was about 12 at the time and attributed it to her supersticious ways. Grandma worried about the evil eye and feared witches, common fears among Italian immigrants and their children of her generation.

Now I think she may have been much closer to the truth than I gave her credit for in my youth.
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Number of posts : 6556

https://gazzfriends.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Cato Tue May 04, 2010 7:38 am

ziggy wrote: Sticking specifically to christainity, is christainity evil or is how some use christainity evil? Which is it?

Christianity as it has been practiced by people the world over for almost two thousand years is largely evil, yes. There may have been a few exceptions here and there for very short periods of time. But overall Christianity has done far more to wreck havoc and hell on earth upon mankind than all the small amounts of good it may have ever done sometime or somewhere.[/quote]

So again I ask, is it christainity itself that is evil or is it how some have used christianity that is evil?

Cato

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephanie Tue May 04, 2010 12:06 pm

Is Islam evil, or is it the way some use Islam that is evil?

Wouldn't you agree there are Christians using Christianity for evil purposes?
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Cato Tue May 04, 2010 12:54 pm

Stephanie wrote:Is Islam evil, or is it the way some use Islam that is evil?

Wouldn't you agree there are Christians using Christianity for evil purposes?

You made the statement a couple of posts ago that your grandmother may be right in that the bible was the devil's work. So, I want a straight up answer to the question is christainity evil or is it that people use christainity for evil purposes.

Cato

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephanie Tue May 04, 2010 1:31 pm

I don't think it's a good thing. Organized religion leads to bad things in societies and bad people use religion to manipulate others and as an excuse to commit unthinkable atrocities. It oppresses people.

That doesn't mean I think all Christians are evil any more than I think all atheists are virtuous.
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Tue May 04, 2010 2:15 pm

ziggy wrote:
Cato wrote:
ziggy wrote:
Cato wrote:
ziggy wrote:

Christianity as it has been practiced by people the world over for almost two thousand years is largely evil, yes. There may have been a few exceptions here and there for very short periods of time. But overall Christianity has done far more to wreck havoc and hell on earth upon mankind than all the small amounts of good it may have ever done sometime or somewhere.

That's an opinion. What I would consider to be a bad one but an opinion none the less.
Aaron
Aaron

Number of posts : 9841

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Tue May 04, 2010 2:20 pm

Stephanie wrote:I don't think it's a good thing. Organized religion leads to bad things in societies and bad people use religion to manipulate others and as an excuse to commit unthinkable atrocities. It oppresses people.

That doesn't mean I think all Christians are evil any more than I think all atheists are virtuous.

But it's not the religion that is evil Stephanie. If you read the overall message of Christianity, it is one of love and salvation.

The evil comes from interpretation of individuals and the misuse of the religion from those interpretations.

But there is also much good that comes from it as well, from a simple act of kindness to the homeless shelters and food pantry's given freely. And that is just the very tip of the iceberg of all that is good that is done in the name of Christianity so for you or Ziggy to equate the religion to evil, I submit you are both wrong.
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephanie Tue May 04, 2010 3:55 pm

First of all, I didn't say it was evil. I said I don't think it's a good thing.

How many people have suffered and died at the hands of Christians, simply because they were not Christian, or perhaps not the right variety of Christian?

How many people have been slaughtered because they were Christian?

I'm pretty sure Buddhists are a peaceful group. You don't here tell of those folks waging wars or bilking little old ladies. Still, being Buddhist hasn't proved to be very good for your health or economic well-being.

You don't have to be a Christian to be charitable. Christianity has impeded a lot of social progress too. For centuries women were oppressed, and in a lot of sects they still are.
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephanie Tue May 04, 2010 4:15 pm

oh, btw..........Cato, I don't believe in the devil either. I was just shocked as a kid to hear the woman who raised a family of Catholics say the bible was the work of the devil. She was a first generation Italian American in 1976. She grew up looking at the backs of priests as they said mass in Latin. I can see how that would sound Satanic. Born in 1964 I don't remember the church the way it used to be.
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Tue May 04, 2010 5:00 pm

Stephanie wrote:First of all, I didn't say it was evil. I said I don't think it's a good thing.

Not a good thing. A bad thing. Evil. Aren't we just mincing words here?

Stephanie wrote:How many people have suffered and died at the hands of Christians, simply because they were not Christian, or perhaps not the right variety of Christian?

How many different things could you substitute for "Christian" in that sentence and not change it a bit? Men. Whites. Americans. French. Germans...ect. Does that make men, whites, French, Germans, ect all not good, bad, evil or however you want to classify it?

Stephanie wrote:How many people have been slaughtered because they were Christian?

See above.

Stephanie wrote:I'm pretty sure Buddhists are a peaceful group. You don't here tell of those folks waging wars or bilking little old ladies. Still, being Buddhist hasn't proved to be very good for your health or economic well-being.

I don't know. Would they say the same thing in places like China and India? I'm not familiar enough with Hinduism or Buddhism to comment on what has happened with those religions thousands of years ago when they were in their infancy.

Stephanie wrote:You don't have to be a Christian to be charitable. Christianity has impeded a lot of social progress too. For centuries women were oppressed, and in a lot of sects they still are.

But you can't dispute that despite their shortcomings, a large majority of them are.
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by Cato Tue May 04, 2010 7:14 pm

Stephanie wrote:I don't think it's a good thing.

Then are you willing to say Christainity is evil?

Cato

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephanie Tue May 04, 2010 11:15 pm

Cato wrote:
Stephanie wrote:I don't think it's a good thing.

Then are you willing to say Christainity is evil?

Stephanie wrote:
First of all, I didn't say it was evil. I said I don't think it's a good thing.

I answered that, Cato. I don't think it's a good thing. At best it is a wash.

Aaron,

I don't think it's a good thing. I view organized religion as bad for humanity. I don't see how I can make it any clearer than that. See my response to Cato above.
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next