WV Forum for News, Politics, and Sports
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I'm a legal American citizen and I must show my ID when:

+5
Stephanie
SamCogar
ziggy
TerryRC
Ich bin Ala-awkbarph
9 posters

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

I'm a legal American citizen and I must show my ID when: Empty I'm a legal American citizen and I must show my ID when:

Post by Ich bin Ala-awkbarph Sun Jul 11, 2010 8:29 am

I'm a legal American citizen and I must show my ID when:

1. Pulled over by the police.
2. Making purchases on my credit card.
3. When I show up for a doctor's appointment .
4. When filling out a credit card or loan application .
5. When applying for or renewing a driver's license or passport .
6. When applying for any kind of insurance .
7. When filling out college applications .
8. When donating blood .
9. When obtaining certain prescription drugs .
10. When making some debit purchases, especially if I'm out of state .
11. When collecting a boarding pass for airline or train travel .
12. When cashing a check at a bank or retail store.

I'm sure there are more instances, but the point is that we citizens of the USA are required to prove who we are nearly every day! Why should people in this country illegally , be exempt ???

Why shouldn't we guard our borders as closely as every other country in the world does ???

Go ARIZONA !!!
Ich bin Ala-awkbarph
Ich bin Ala-awkbarph

Number of posts : 2310
Registration date : 2008-01-28

Back to top Go down

I'm a legal American citizen and I must show my ID when: Empty Re: I'm a legal American citizen and I must show my ID when:

Post by TerryRC Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:46 am

8. When donating blood .

All of which are voluntary actions in getting privileges.

You do not, however, have to show ID for merely walking down the street. In that instance, a cop has the right to ask your name and NOTHING else unless (s)he is arresting you.

You compare apples and oranges, as usual.

TerryRC

Number of posts : 2762
Registration date : 2008-01-05

Back to top Go down

I'm a legal American citizen and I must show my ID when: Empty Re: I'm a legal American citizen and I must show my ID when:

Post by ziggy Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:20 am

Armon Ayers wrote: I'm a legal American citizen and I must show my ID when:

8. When donating blood .

I'm sure there are more instances, but the point is that we citizens of the USA are required to prove who we are nearly every day! Why should people in this country illegally , be exempt ???

Why shouldn't we guard our borders as closely as every other country in the world does ???

Go ARIZONA !!!

These are not even half truths. The only one of the above I have had to show any I.D. for was # 1- traffic stop by the police- though I have never done # 11.

You would be more credible if you were more truthful.
ziggy
ziggy

Number of posts : 5731
Registration date : 2007-12-28

Back to top Go down

Post by SamCogar Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:28 am

ziggy wrote:
These are not even half truths. The only one of the above I have had to show any I.D. for was # 1- traffic stop by the police- though I have never done # 11.

And for which you were given a ticket and had to pay a fine, right?

Or was Shermmy the Officer?

SamCogar

Number of posts : 6238

Back to top Go down

Post by ziggy Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:06 am

SamCogar wrote:
ziggy wrote:

And for which you were given a ticket and had to pay a fine, right?

Yep, several times.

Or was Shermmy the Officer?

Not since at least November 8th last year.
ziggy
ziggy

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephanie Sun Jul 11, 2010 2:09 pm

It's Sherm's birthday on Tuesday. I miss him. His birthday is easy for me to remember because it's the same day as my eldest son's. Scotty (I'm the only person who gets away with calling him that now) will be 28. I miss him too.

Ziggy, I took my friend Laura to the hospital for an outpatient procedure week before last and their was a sign where you sign in stating you must show proof if ID EVERY visit, even if you've shown it before. I don't know the name of it, but the facility is in Hurricane.

The rules at the DMV have changed since the last time you got your license renewed. That I know firsthand, for a fact.

If the teller or clerk doesn't know you personally, or recognize you as a long time customer, I find it hard to believe anyone is cashing a check for you without ID anywhere.

Kate traveled to RI last month with her father and his car broke down so she took a train back. I was going to purchase the ticket for her online, but I couldn't because she would have to show ID to pick up the ticket PLUS the credit card used to purchase the ticket. She charged the ticket herself and her father gave her the money.

If you receive a new credit card and fail to sign it, the clerk will ask to see your ID. You can also write "check ID" in permanent marker instead of signing the card and the clerk will always request to see your ID. This only applies if the clerk has any sort of training or observation skills, but it is what they are all supposed to do.

In many states, including WV, you must show ID not only to purchase certain medications such as ritalin, you must show ID when you purchase some OTC drugs like Advil Cold & Sinus, or Claritan D.

You must show ID when donating blood now. I know you didn't several years ago, but now you must.

I don't believe we provided any proof of ID with Kate's college applications, although we may have. We did have to show ID in order for her to receive her college ID which is used for everything now that she's actually a student at that college.

I have never have had to show ID to use my debit card as a debit card, but I have had to show ID to use it as a credit card because I have signed the back "Please check ID".

I'd say that list is pretty accurate.

Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Number of posts : 6556

https://gazzfriends.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Keli Sun Jul 11, 2010 2:28 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqomZQMZQCQ

Badges? We don't need no steenkin' badges!
Keli
Keli

Number of posts : 3608
Location : Zarr Chasm, WV--between Flotsam and Belch on the Cheat River

Back to top Go down

Post by ohio county Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:11 pm

You do not, however, have to show ID for merely walking down the street. In that instance, a cop has the right to ask your name and NOTHING else unless (s)he is arresting you.

There is nothing different from this in the Arizona legislation. It is a ten page document. It will pass a federal test. You're not usually swayed by liberal talking points...
ohio county
ohio county

Number of posts : 3207

Back to top Go down

Post by ziggy Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:11 pm

Stephanie wrote:I'd say that list is pretty accurate.

Well, it has not been my experience that it is NOT accurate.

I last renewed my driver's license in 2005. I was not asked for any I.D. other than the remewal form that had been mailed to me. Maybe I'll find out in November. My driver's license expires again then. But all the I.D. I'll have is my expiring driver's license.

It has been several years since I donated blood. So you and Keli might be correct on that one.

I have outpatient services at the hospital here every few months. I am NEVER asked for I.D- only for my date of birth, and which they accept by my simple spoken words: "11/18/45".

I routinely get cash back while making a deposit at my bank. Again, I have NEVER been asked for I.D. there- and there is a different teller there almost every time. Sometimes I get cash back when using my debit card. Again, I am NEVER asked for I.D.- though usually I am asked to punch in either my P.I.N., or, if out of state, sometimes to punch in my zip code.

I pick up prescritption drugs every two or three weeks- sometimes for myself, sometimes for Ms. Ziggy. Again, I have NEVER been asked for I.D. at any pharmacy- even when getting narcotic pain meds for me or her.

About 3 years ago, I received a new credit card. I have used it maybe a dozen times. Again, I am NEVER asked for I.D.- and I have not signed that credit card. Usually I just swiped it and the clerk never touches or even looks at the card.

The only time in the past couple years I have been asked for I.D. was this past April in a traffic stop. The officer asked for my driver's license. Then he issued me a warning ticket for expired MVI sticker. And by the way, for Sam Cogar's information, it was not Shermmy who stopped me.

This is my experience, and I think I lead a mostly "normal" life.

Keli has an agenda. And whatever it is, it is not about truth and veracity.
ziggy
ziggy

Back to top Go down

Post by ohio county Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:16 pm

What in the legislation passed and signed will be stricken down by the federal court? What part of the Arizona legislation is defective? I'm ready to discuss this at length...

ohio county
ohio county

Back to top Go down

Post by ziggy Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:23 pm

ohio county wrote:

There is nothing different from this in the Arizona legislation. It is a ten page document. It will pass a federal test. You're not usually swayed by liberal talking points...

I have read the Arizona law. On one level, I don't have a problem with it. And I agree that it will probably pass a federal test.

On the other hand, I was born near Charleston WV. My parents and their parents and their grandparents and their great grand parents were all natural born U.S. citizens. But were I asked to show anyone proof of my legal citizenship status, I don't think I could. So maybe I am lucky that I don't look Hispanic and travel in Arizona.
ziggy
ziggy

Back to top Go down

Post by ohio county Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:35 pm

On the other hand, I was born near Charleston WV. My parents and their parents and their grandparents and their great grand parents were all natural born U.S. citizens...

The resources of West Virginia could also be tested by the influx of unchecked illegal immigrants. I appreciate that is an unlikely scenario but I'd ask that you consider the specter of Mrs. Ziggy denied treatment at the Jackson County Hospital Emergency Room for a life-threatening condition while the Emergency Room is full of illegal aliens waiting for free treatment. The teacher to student ratio is significantly higher because we are educating the children of illegal aliens. Are they citizens? Yes, indeed. Should they be?

I am strongly on the side of the citizens of Arizona.
ohio county
ohio county

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephanie Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:21 am

ziggy wrote:
Stephanie wrote:I'd say that list is pretty accurate.

Well, it has not been my experience that it is NOT accurate.

I last renewed my driver's license in 2005. I was not asked for any I.D. other than the remewal form that had been mailed to me. Maybe I'll find out in November. My driver's license expires again then. But all the I.D. I'll have is my expiring driver's license.

It has been several years since I donated blood. So you and Keli might be correct on that one.

I have outpatient services at the hospital here every few months. I am NEVER asked for I.D- only for my date of birth, and which they accept by my simple spoken words: "11/18/45".

I routinely get cash back while making a deposit at my bank. Again, I have NEVER been asked for I.D. there- and there is a different teller there almost every time. Sometimes I get cash back when using my debit card. Again, I am NEVER asked for I.D.- though usually I am asked to punch in either my P.I.N., or, if out of state, sometimes to punch in my zip code.

I pick up prescritption drugs every two or three weeks- sometimes for myself, sometimes for Ms. Ziggy. Again, I have NEVER been asked for I.D. at any pharmacy- even when getting narcotic pain meds for me or her.

About 3 years ago, I received a new credit card. I have used it maybe a dozen times. Again, I am NEVER asked for I.D.- and I have not signed that credit card. Usually I just swiped it and the clerk never touches or even looks at the card.

The only time in the past couple years I have been asked for I.D. was this past April in a traffic stop. The officer asked for my driver's license. Then he issued me a warning ticket for expired MVI sticker. And by the way, for Sam Cogar's information, it was not Shermmy who stopped me.

This is my experience, and I think I lead a mostly "normal" life.

Ziggy,

When you go to the DMV, bring your social security card. If your address has changed, even if it's due to the whole 911 thing, bring two utility bills or other proof of residency. Also new is you're going to be required to pass a vision test. If you wear glasses or contact lenses I'd go see an eye dr in October if it's been a while. Stephanie's tips for the day.

I think that little hospital down there in Jackson County is likely to be behind the times a bit. Don't be too surprised if you're not soon asked to show ID there. This is a change that has been made in order to try to prevent insurance fraud, primarily in Medicare/Medicaid.

You're never going to have to show ID to swipe a card. The clerk never sees the card. In that case you either know your pin or your signature is required which is a joke. You could sign that thing Ziggy Stardust and the machine will accept it. I tested it once out because enquiring minds like mine want to know.

Try cashing a check without depositing most of at a bank branch where you are not known. Make sure you have your license. While you're at it, go to that Rite Aid and try to purchase Advil Cold & Sinus. I cannot give you an rx for Ritalin or other controlled medication for you to try it out. Go on, try it....see if I'm wrong.

Be sure and read my next post.

Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephanie Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:24 am

Estrada v. RI

The US Court of Appeals has already ruled it is reasonable for an officer to ask for ID and to enquire and investigate the immigration status of those who cannot produce it.
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ziggy Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:33 am

Go on, try it....see if I'm wrong.

I do not deny that your are right about some specific circumstances.

But Keli's first post, above, makes broad sweeping statements about what one is required to do in all the general circumstances he listed when in actuality normal people go through everyday life without having to show I.D. in most of those circumstances. For Keli to be perceived as credible he should actually be credible.
ziggy
ziggy

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephanie Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:26 am

Keli is a private citizen, he is entitled to his opinions and I don't think he's been deceptive. Don't be angry with Keli.

Instead be angry with the politicians who lie to get elected and then do anything they can think of to increase their own power and wealth.

The Obama administration isn't interested in the law. If they were, they'd enforce the law, not try to circumvent it and undermine the efforts of states to uphold the law in order to provide security and stability to their citizens.

You don't find it odd that this administration is actually filing suit against a state for doing something that a federal court has already determined is allowed, yet they are unwilling to pursue charges against Black Panthers when American citizens with video taped evidence complain of intimidation at their polling place?

I'm not at all worried about Keli's credibility. I am worried about the credibility of Obama and Holder. Given the incredible amount of power these men have, you should be too.
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by SheikBen Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:51 am

Ziggy,

Is it possible that you have resorted to calling credibility into question because you have sympathies toward the Arizona law that you feel guilty about:)?

SheikBen

Number of posts : 3445
Registration date : 2008-01-02

Back to top Go down

Post by ziggy Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:35 pm

Stephanie wrote:Keli is a private citizen, he is entitled to his opinions and I don't think he's been deceptive. Don't be angry with Keli. ...........................

............................... I'm not at all worried about Keli's credibility. I am worried about the credibility of Obama and Holder. Given the incredible amount of power these men have, you should be too.

Keli is entitled to his opinions, but not to his own "facts". Obama and Holder are not posters to this forum. I will hold them accountable in the only venue that counts- at the ballot box.
ziggy
ziggy

Back to top Go down

Post by ziggy Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:35 pm

SheikBen wrote:Ziggy,

Is it possible that you have resorted to calling credibility into question because you have sympathies toward the Arizona law that you feel guilty about:)?

Is it required to show I.D. in the circumstances Keli indicates in the first post on this topic? That is the measure of credibility as relates to this topic thread.

It is my experience- and that of my wife and daughter who I asked about this yesterday- that it is not necessary to show I.D. in all nor even most most of the circumstances keli posts. I have watched Keli post on this and other public boards for 10 years or so. His history of making up imaginary "facts"- or posting the imaginary facts of others- is legendary. Again, Keli would have more credibility were his alleged facts actually credible.

And again, he is entitled to his opinion. He is not entitled to his own facts.
ziggy
ziggy

Back to top Go down

Post by Ich bin Ala-awkbarph Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:52 pm

ziggy wrote:
SheikBen wrote:Ziggy,

Is it required to show I.D. in the circumstances Keli indicates in the first post on this topic? That is the measure of credibility as relates to this topic thread.

It is my experience- and that of my wife and daughter who I asked about this yesterday- that it is not necessary to show I.D. in all nor even most most of the circumstances keli posts. I have watched Keli post on this and other public boards for 10 years or so. His history of making up imaginary "facts"- or posting the imaginary facts of others- is legendary. Again, Keli would have more credibility were his alleged facts actually credible.

And again, he is entitled to his opinion. He is not entitled to his own facts.

Ziggy,
If stopped by the police, do you think that you should provide your driver's license, registration and proof of insurance when askd by the police officer? What would happen should you decide not to?
Ich bin Ala-awkbarph
Ich bin Ala-awkbarph

Back to top Go down

Post by ziggy Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:07 pm

If stopped by the police, do you think that you should provide your driver's license, registration and proof of insurance when askd by the police officer? What would happen should you decide not to?

I think I should, yes. When I use the public highways I have a responsibility to be accountable to the other users of public highways. And on West Virginia highways, that accountability is through traffic laws- which the state has appointed police officers to enforce.

What would happen if I didn't? I would probably be taken into police custody forthwith.
ziggy
ziggy

Back to top Go down

Post by Ich bin Ala-awkbarph Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:50 pm

ziggy wrote:

I think I should, yes. When I use the public highways I have a responsibility to be accountable to the other users of public highways. And on West Virginia highways, that accountability is through traffic laws- which the state has appointed police officers to enforce.

What would happen if I didn't? I would probably be taken into police custody forthwith.

If you were Hispanic, do you think that the police should still ask for your driver's license, registration and proof of insurance?
Ich bin Ala-awkbarph
Ich bin Ala-awkbarph

Back to top Go down

Post by ziggy Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:07 am

If I were driving on the public highway, yes.
ziggy
ziggy

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephanie Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:31 am

Yesterday was my son's birthday. His ID expired on his birthday. He went to Citizen's Bank in Providence, RI to cash the check his grandparents had written him for his birthday. Not only was he asked to show his ID, they refused to cash that check because his ID had expired at midnight. He sent me a text message when it happened. It's still on my phone. I will forward it to you if you like.
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ich bin Ala-awkbarph Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:31 am

ziggy wrote:If I were driving on the public highway, yes.

If you were driving into Mexico and the border agent asked for your driver's license, auto registration and proof of insurance, would you give them to the Mexican authorities? When you entered Mexico, if asked by Mexican authorities, would you tell them what the nature of your visit is and how long you plan to stay? Would you feel that you had been profiled if they did not ask everyone those same questions?
Ich bin Ala-awkbarph
Ich bin Ala-awkbarph

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next