WV Forum for News, Politics, and Sports
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I'm a legal American citizen and I must show my ID when:

+5
Stephanie
SamCogar
ziggy
TerryRC
Ich bin Ala-awkbarph
9 posters

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

I'm a legal American citizen and I must show my ID when: - Page 2 Empty Re: I'm a legal American citizen and I must show my ID when:

Post by Ich bin Ala-awkbarph Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:25 am

I'm a legal American citizen and I must show my ID when: - Page 2 Smithc20100712
Ich bin Ala-awkbarph
Ich bin Ala-awkbarph

Number of posts : 2310
Registration date : 2008-01-28

Back to top Go down

I'm a legal American citizen and I must show my ID when: - Page 2 Empty Re: I'm a legal American citizen and I must show my ID when:

Post by ziggy Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:13 pm

Stephanie wrote:Yesterday was my son's birthday. His ID expired on his birthday. He went to Citizen's Bank in Providence, RI to cash the check his grandparents had written him for his birthday. Not only was he asked to show his ID, they refused to cash that check because his ID had expired at midnight. He sent me a text message when it happened. It's still on my phone. I will forward it to you if you like.

That is not necessary, Stephanie. I believe you.

I am told that most banks do not cash checks other than for customers who have accounts there- I.D. or no I.D.. So I do not try to cash checks other than at banks in which I have accounts. And they do not ask me for I.D.- never have.

Last edited by ziggy on Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
ziggy
ziggy

Number of posts : 5731
Registration date : 2007-12-28

Back to top Go down

Post by ziggy Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:17 pm

Armon Ayers wrote:
ziggy wrote:If I were driving on the public highway, yes.

If you were driving into Mexico and the border agent asked for your driver's license, auto registration and proof of insurance, would you give them to the Mexican authorities?

Yes.

When you entered Mexico, if asked by Mexican authorities, would you tell them what the nature of your visit is and how long you plan to stay?

Yes- just as I did when I drove into Canada several years ago.

I have read that border guards ask every 10th or so vehicle driver certain questions, and alternate drivers of vehicles in between certain other questions. So I probably would not find it alarming if I lrearned that I was asked certain questions that other drivers were not asked, and vice-versa.

Would you feel that you had been profiled if they did not ask everyone those same questions?

I don't know what I would feel; it might depend on what else was going on. I don't know if I would even know that they had not asked everyone those same questions.
ziggy
ziggy

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:47 pm

ziggy wrote:

This is my experience, and I think I lead a mostly "normal" life.

As a life long senior citizen in Ripley, WV.
Aaron
Aaron

Number of posts : 9841

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:50 pm

TerryRC wrote:All of which are voluntary actions in getting privileges.

You do not, however, have to show ID for merely walking down the street. In that instance, a cop has the right to ask your name and NOTHING else unless (s)he is arresting you.

That's not true. They have a right to ask you for your ID at any time. You have a right to refuse. And if they choose to pursue the matter, they can take you into custody.

The same holds true for citizens of Arizona. You should read the law.
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:55 pm

ziggy wrote:But were I asked to show anyone proof of my legal citizenship status, I don't think I could. So maybe I am lucky that I don't look Hispanic and travel in Arizona.

Sure you could. Your ID is accepted as legal citizenship as you will find out when you go to renew your license and are required to bring in your vital statistics state issued birth certificate. If you don't have one, go pay the $12 and get it because you're going to need it.

And anyone who thinks the cops are out looking stopping everyone that looks Hispanic and asking for papers is either pushing an agenda, naive or ignorant of the law.
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by ziggy Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:17 am

They have a right to ask you for your ID at any time. You have a right to refuse. And if they choose to pursue the matter, they can take you into custody.

On what charge?
ziggy
ziggy

Back to top Go down

Post by ziggy Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:18 am

Aaron wrote:
ziggy wrote:

This is my experience, and I think I lead a mostly "normal" life.

As a life long senior citizen in Ripley, WV.

Yep, been a senior citizen all my life- just not in Ripley all my life, though.
ziggy
ziggy

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:07 am

ziggy wrote:
They have a right to ask you for your ID at any time. You have a right to refuse. And if they choose to pursue the matter, they can take you into custody.

On what charge?

That would depend on what they stopped you or approached you for.

And I can't help but note that while you accuse Keli of having an agenda and responding with word play which is par the course, OC gave you the opportunity to delve into the issue and and conduct an honest discussion yet you refused.

ohio county wrote:
Keli has an agenda. And whatever it is, it is not about truth and veracity.

What in the legislation passed and signed will be stricken down by the federal court? What part of the Arizona legislation is defective? I'm ready to discuss this at length...

Any particular reason why?
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by TerryRC Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:00 pm

That's not true. They have a right to ask you for your ID at any time. You have a right to refuse. And if they choose to pursue the matter, they can take you into custody.

I have read the law. Refusal to show an ID if you are walking down the street is not a crime. If they arrest me, they would have to have probable cause of another crime. You had better check the law, yourself. That is why most vagrancy laws haven't and won't pass constitutional muster.

Is probable cause now going to be "they talk funny" or "they look like a mexican"? I don't carry proof of my citizenship when I walk to the neighbors. If we had a law like this in WV would I be in danger of being detained?

The AZ law will not pass constitutional muster.

TerryRC

Number of posts : 2762
Registration date : 2008-01-05

Back to top Go down

Post by TerryRC Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:03 pm

Sure you could. Your ID is accepted as legal citizenship as you will find out when you go to renew your license and are required to bring in your vital statistics state issued birth certificate. If you don't have one, go pay the $12 and get it because you're going to need it.

All I had to do to get my WV license back in 2003 was bring two pieces of mail with my address and surrender my NY license. Didn't need bupkiss to renew it last year.

Not proof of citizenship.

TerryRC

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephanie Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:05 pm

TerryRC wrote:That's not true. They have a right to ask you for your ID at any time. You have a right to refuse. And if they choose to pursue the matter, they can take you into custody.

I have read the law. Refusal to show an ID if you are walking down the street is not a crime. If they arrest me, they would have to have probable cause of another crime. You had better check the law, yourself. That is why most vagrancy laws haven't and won't pass constitutional muster.

Is probable cause now going to be "they talk funny" or "they look like a mexican"? I don't carry proof of my citizenship when I walk to the neighbors. If we had a law like this in WV would I be in danger of being detained?

The AZ law will not pass constitutional muster.

You're going to have to prove your assertion that's what Arizona law will do.
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Number of posts : 6556

https://gazzfriends.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by TerryRC Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:31 pm

You're going to have to prove your assertion that's what Arizona law will do.

I don't have to prove that is what it will do. I only have to show the possibility.

The AZ law allows cops to check the status of anyone they come in lawful contact with. That includes talking to people on the street, which is considered a lawful contact. Do you think many caucasians will asked for their proof of citizenship? That is problem one - the law will be, in practice, discriminatory.

The next problem is that citizens have the right to be secure in their person. That means that you do not have to show papers to ANYONE to walk down the street, whether you look like a hispanic or not. The police can only detain you with a warrant or probable cause of a crime. Refusing to show an ID merely for being on the street is not a crime.

There are problems with the AZ legislation. As I said, I doubt it will pass constitutional muster.

TerryRC

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:31 pm

TerryRC wrote:That's not true. They have a right to ask you for your ID at any time. You have a right to refuse. And if they choose to pursue the matter, they can take you into custody.

I have read the law. Refusal to show an ID if you are walking down the street is not a crime.

I never said it was.

TerryRC wrote:If they arrest me, they would have to have probable cause of another crime. You had better check the law, yourself. That is why most vagrancy laws haven't and won't pass constitutional muster.

They don't have to arrest you. They can detain you for questioning and as such, require you to prove who you are. It's the same in WV as it is in AZ.

TerryRC wrote:Is probable cause now going to be "they talk funny" or "they look like a mexican"? I don't carry proof of my citizenship when I walk to the neighbors. If we had a law like this in WV would I be in danger of being detained?

Refusing to answer a question or acting funny or nervous has been found to be probable cause, WV as well as AZ. If the police want to question you, they will.

TerryRC wrote:The AZ law will not pass constitutional muster.

It will never reach the Supreme Court. Lower courts will find for AZ and the Supreme Court will refuse to hear the governments appeal.

TerryRC wrote:All I had to do to get my WV license back in 2003 was bring two pieces of mail with my address and surrender my NY license. Didn't need bupkiss to renew it last year.

Go to the DMV tomorrow with two pieces of mail, tell them you lost your ID and see what happens. Or better yet, take one of your daughters to the DMV for a state issued ID card and see if they don't require a birth certificate establishing citizenship.

With your knowledge on this subject or should I say lack thereof, one would think you work for Fox News.
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:04 am

TerryRC wrote:All I had to do to get my WV license back in 2003 was bring two pieces of mail with my address and surrender my NY license. Didn't need bupkiss to renew it last year.

I think you would fit right in at Fox.

I'm a legal American citizen and I must show my ID when: - Page 2 33948 I'm a legal American citizen and I must show my ID when: - Page 2 33948 I'm a legal American citizen and I must show my ID when: - Page 2 33948

Documents for Issuance of Permit/GDL/License/Identification Card

The DMV requires several different documents for the issuance of a license and an identification card. Below is a list of acceptable documents that can be used to obtain a license or identification card. Please refer to the type license or identification card transaction to see what you are required to provide.

An original, valid, current, unexpired Certificate of U. S. Citizenship (INS Form N-560) with photograph
U. S. Birth Certificate: An original or certified copy of a United States-issued birth certificate (U. S. Department of State and U. S. Military birth certificates ARE acceptable. Hospital birth certificates are NOT acceptable)
An original, valid, current, unexpired Certificate of Naturalization (INS Form 550 or INS Form 570) with photograph
An original, valid, current West Virginia driver's license, permit, or ID card, that is expired less than six (6) months with photograph
An original, valid, current, unexpired U. S. Military ID Card
U. S. Military Retiree Card or Uniform Service Identification Privilege Card (DD 1173) with current photograph
An original, valid, current, unexpired or legally extended United States passport with current photograph
To obtain a birth certificate, if you were born in West Virginia, contact the West Virginia Department of Health & Human Resources. If you were born in another state, the National Center for Health Statistics has information on how to obtain a birth certificate.

[url=http://www.transportation.wv.gov/dmv/Driver-Licenses/Pages/DrivingLicenseInformation.aspx#Documents for Issuance of Permit/GDL/License/Identification Card]Source[/url]
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by ziggy Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:22 am

Aaron wrote:
ziggy wrote:

On what charge?

That would depend on what they stopped you or approached you for.

And I can't help but note that while you accuse Keli of having an agenda and responding with word play which is par the course, OC gave you the opportunity to delve into the issue and and conduct an honest discussion yet you refused.

Keli started with the "word play" by posting a bunch of crap that is not true. If Keli wanted an "honest discussion" he should have started out with honest facts.

ohio county wrote:
Keli has an agenda. And whatever it is, it is not about truth and veracity.

What in the legislation passed and signed will be stricken down by the federal court? What part of the Arizona legislation is defective? I'm ready to discuss this at length...

Any particular reason why?

Re: this issue OC and I mostly agree, it appears. It ain't much fun arguin' with someone when we are mostly in agreement in round one.
ziggy
ziggy

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephanie Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:38 am

TerryRC wrote:Sure you could. Your ID is accepted as legal citizenship as you will find out when you go to renew your license and are required to bring in your vital statistics state issued birth certificate. If you don't have one, go pay the $12 and get it because you're going to need it.

All I had to do to get my WV license back in 2003 was bring two pieces of mail with my address and surrender my NY license. Didn't need bupkiss to renew it last year.

First-time applicants

Applicants who have never held a driving license or ID card, who are transferring a license from out-of state, or who have a West Virginia license that has been expired for more than six (6) months are first-time applicants. The following documents are required by first-time applicants:

A certified birth certificate or a valid, unexpired U.S. Passport.
Social Security Card.
Two (2) proofs of West Virginia physical address from the approved list of residency documents.
If the applicant is under the age of 18 and is applying for a instruction permit or license, a valid Driver's Eligibility Certificate is also required.
If the applicant’s name has changed, then an original or a certified copy of a certified marriage certificate, divorce decree, or court order is also required. (Additional documents may be required if a connection between the documents can not be established.)
Applicants who are applying for a West Virginia driver's license and are transferring a license from another state, must also submit their current license from the previous state or present a current certified driving record from his/her previous state.

Renewing Your Driver's License

To renew a driver's license you must present 1 document from the list of identity documents, along with 1 proof of WV residency from the residency requirements. If your license is expired for more than 6 months you are required to retest, written and road skills examination, along with providing all documents as a first time applicant. If your social security number is not in the system, or is wrong in the system you will be required to provide your social security card, before a new license will be issued. An applicant who is not a citizen of the United States shall present all documents required by the Division to verify his or her legal status in the United states, proof of identity, and proof of residency in this state.
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:03 am

ziggy wrote:Keli started with the "word play" by posting a bunch of crap that is not true. If Keli wanted an "honest discussion" he should have started out with honest facts.

Just because 60 some year old Ziggy doens't have to show his idea for the list below in Ripley, WV, population ~3200 doesn't make it a bunch of crap. In fact, at some point or another, my ID has been requested for each of these items at one time or another during my lifetime which means your statement that of a bunch of crap wrong.

Try again.

Armon Ayers wrote: I'm a legal American citizen and I must show my ID when:

1. Pulled over by the police.
2. Making purchases on my credit card.
3. When I show up for a doctor's appointment .
4. When filling out a credit card or loan application .
5. When applying for or renewing a driver's license or passport .
6. When applying for any kind of insurance .
7. When filling out college applications .
8. When donating blood .
9. When obtaining certain prescription drugs .
10. When making some debit purchases, especially if I'm out of state .
11. When collecting a boarding pass for airline or train travel .
12. When cashing a check at a bank or retail store.

Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephanie Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:09 am

TerryRC wrote:You're going to have to prove your assertion that's what Arizona law will do.

I don't have to prove that is what it will do. I only have to show the possibility.

The AZ law allows cops to check the status of anyone they come in lawful contact with. That includes talking to people on the street, which is considered a lawful contact. Do you think many caucasians will asked for their proof of citizenship? That is problem one - the law will be, in practice, discriminatory.

The next problem is that citizens have the right to be secure in their person. That means that you do not have to show papers to ANYONE to walk down the street, whether you look like a hispanic or not. The police can only detain you with a warrant or probable cause of a crime. Refusing to show an ID merely for being on the street is not a crime.

There are problems with the AZ legislation. As I said, I doubt it will pass constitutional muster.

Go to the link below and read the text of the bill that became law, Terry. The AZ House changed the language. You're not looking at the legislation as it was passed.

AZ House Bill 2162

B. For any lawful contact stop, detention or arrest made by a law enforcement official or a law enforcement agency of this state or a law enforcement official or a law enforcement agency of a county, city, town or other political subdivision of this state in the enforcement of any other law or ordinance of a county, city or town or this state where reasonable suspicion exists that the person is an alien who and is unlawfully present in the United States, a reasonable attempt shall be made, when practicable, to determine the immigration status of the person, except if the determination may hinder or obstruct an investigation. Any person who is arrested shall have the person's immigration status determined before the person is released. The person's immigration status shall be verified with the federal government pursuant to 8 United States code section 1373(c). A law enforcement official or agency of this state or a county, city, town or other political subdivision of this state may not solely consider race, color or national origin in implementing the requirements of this subsection except to the extent permitted by the United States or Arizona Constitution. A person is presumed to not be an alien who is unlawfully present in the United States if the person provides to the law enforcement officer or agency any of the following:

1. A valid Arizona driver license.

2. A valid Arizona nonoperating identification license.

3. A valid tribal enrollment card or other form of tribal identification.

4. If the entity requires proof of legal presence in the United States before issuance, any valid United States federal, state or local government issued identification.
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TerryRC Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:05 am

Go to the DMV tomorrow with two pieces of mail, tell them you lost your ID and see what happens. Or better yet, take one of your daughters to the DMV for a state issued ID card and see if they don't require a birth certificate establishing citizenship.

With your knowledge on this subject or should I say lack thereof, one would think you work for Fox News.

But I didn't lose my ID and I was grandfathered in because I got it before 2005.

NEW applicants will have to do what you describe but us older license holders do not. That means that a WV driver's license is NOT proof of citizenship across the board.

With your reasoning abilities, you should be a GOP strategist.

TerryRC

Back to top Go down

Post by TerryRC Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:08 am

Go to the link below and read the text of the bill that became law, Terry. The AZ House changed the language. You're not looking at the legislation as it was passed.

Better, I guess, if true.

I still predict a lot of trumped up excuses to be "stopping" suspicious people whose only crime is walking down the street and looking chicano.

We will see.

TerryRC

Back to top Go down

Post by TerryRC Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:48 am

The point we are missing here is that the list that Terry H. originally posted is a list of privileges, not a list of basic rights.

I expect to show ID to exercise a privilege. I don't expect to show an ID for merely existing.

As I said, he compares apples and oranges and I still think the AZ law has vast room for abuses.

TerryRC

Back to top Go down

Post by SheikBen Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:33 am

TerryRC wrote:Go to the link below and read the text of the bill that became law, Terry. The AZ House changed the language. You're not looking at the legislation as it was passed.

I still predict a lot of trumped up excuses to be "stopping" suspicious people whose only crime is walking down the street and looking chicano.

We will see.

TerryRC,

On what do you base this prediction?

SheikBen

Number of posts : 3445
Registration date : 2008-01-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:30 am

TerryRC wrote:NEW applicants will have to do what you describe but us older license holders do not. That means that a WV driver's license is NOT proof of citizenship across the board.

Once again, you would be wrong and had you read what Stephanie posted, you would know it.

TerryRC wrote:With your reasoning abilities, you should be a GOP strategist.

It doesn't take reasoning to read black and white, only to deal with nim-com-poops are either too stubborn or too stupid to recognize the truth. With my experience, I would make a good strategist and to think, you were so much help along the way.

Thanks TC

Very Happy
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephanie Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:08 am

TerryRC wrote:Go to the link below and read the text of the bill that became law, Terry. The AZ House changed the language. You're not looking at the legislation as it was passed.

We will see.

You may be right! There may be some cops who do trump up excuses to pull people over, or stop them as they're walking down the street based soley upon how they look. When those people are here illegally, I would imagine those folks will be dealt with in an appropriate manner. When those people are here legally, I expect those officers will be disciplined in an appropriate manner because there are plenty of groups with attorneys chomping at the bit to bring such officers to court. Of course cops know this so I suspect there won't be nearly as many instances of that as you presume.

I have no great love of cops, I think everyone here knows that. My experience has been that a fairly high percentage of people who choose that professions are bullies, and those who aren't become so jaded by their experiences on the job that within a few years most of them aren't worth a shit either.

Take my husband for example, that poor man was pulled over by PC deputies on pretty much a regular basis because he's relatively young, has that "long-haired-freaky-people-look",doesn't drive a vehicle that is less than 5 years old (aka working class), and refused requests to search his vehicle until they FINALLY had a K-9 unit available to sniff out the damn car. However, nobody is going to take up for a young, white man foolish enough to to exercise his right to drive a registered, insured, inspected vehicle with a valid operator's license with long hair and the NERVE to insist a police officer obtain a warrant before searching his vehicle.

Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next