WV Forum for News, Politics, and Sports
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pledge

2 posters

Go down

Pledge Empty Pledge

Post by ohio county Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:31 pm

http://www.scribd.com/doc/37958976/GOP-Pledge-to-America

This is from CBS so it is suspect. The following condensed version is also CBS'. Be skeptical.

Jobs:

- Stop job-killing tax hikes

- Allow small businesses to take a tax deduction equal to 20 percent of their income

- Require congressional approval for any new federal regulation that would add to the deficit

- Repeal small business mandates in the new health care law.

Cutting Spending:

- Repeal and Replace health care

- Roll back non-discretionary spending to 2008 levels before TARP and stimulus (will save $100 billion in first year alone)

- Establish strict budget caps to limit federal spending going forward

- Cancel all future TARP payments and reform Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac

Reforming Congress:

- Will require that every bill have a citation of constitutional authority

- Give members at least 3 days to read bills before a vote

Defense:

- Provide resources to troops

- Fund missile defense

- Enforce sanctions in Iran

From what little I've read, I don't have a problem with any of it.
ohio county
ohio county

Number of posts : 3207
Registration date : 2007-12-28

Back to top Go down

Pledge Empty Re: Pledge

Post by Aaron Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:00 pm

I don't think returning discretionary spending to 2008 levels is enough. I think we need an across the board spending cut of a minimum of 5%, including defense and discretionary spending should be reduced by at least 10%. Earmarks should be COMPLETELY eliminated and all spending bills should be required to stand on their own without add-ons or supplemental bills.

If Republicans want to redefine themselves, then they need to take bold steps and redefine themselves and not rely on returning to failed policies.
Aaron
Aaron

Number of posts : 9841

Back to top Go down

Post by ohio county Sat Sep 25, 2010 2:09 pm

I agree. But what if they promise to, say repeal Obamcare and cannot? Even if they have a scant majority in both Houses, Obama will still have the veto. They won't have enough votes to override. If they can accomplish the first three or four items they'll have a solid record of accomplishment to hype. They still have to contend with the democrats .

Frankly, I think they're a little skittish based on the failure of republicans to accomplish anything traditionally of interest to republicans. I know they disappointed me to the point I was looking at third parties. This is enough to keep me nominally in the tent.

ohio county
ohio county

Number of posts : 3207

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down