WV Forum for News, Politics, and Sports
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thank you, ..... Obama, ..... Pelosi, ... Reed

2 posters

Go down

Thank you, ..... Obama, ..... Pelosi, ... Reed Empty Thank you, ..... Obama, ..... Pelosi, ... Reed

Post by SamCogar Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:58 am

WASHINGTON — Millions of retired and disabled people in the United States had better brace for another year with no increase in Social Security payments.

The government is projecting a slight cost-of-living adjustment for Social Security benefits next year, the first increase since 2009. But for most beneficiaries, rising Medicare premiums threaten to wipe out any increase in payments, leaving them without a raise for a third straight year.

http://www.ajc.com/news/nation-world/medicare-rise-could-mean-886907.html

SamCogar

Number of posts : 6238
Registration date : 2007-12-28

Back to top Go down

Thank you, ..... Obama, ..... Pelosi, ... Reed Empty Re: Thank you, ..... Obama, ..... Pelosi, ... Reed

Post by Aaron Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:29 am

The social security COLA has nothing to do with Pelosi, Reid or Obama and it's pretty disingenious that you claim it is. [quote]What is a COLA?

Legislation enacted in 1973 provides for cost-of-living adjustments, or COLAs. With COLAs, Social Security and Supplemental Security Income (SSI) benefits keep pace with inflation.

No COLA
There will be no increase in Social Security benefits payable in January 2011, nor will there be an increase in SSI payments.

How is a COLA calculated?
The Social Security Act specifies a formula for determining each COLA. According to the formula, COLAs are based on increases in the Consumer Price Index for Urban Wage Earners and Clerical Workers (CPI-W). CPI-Ws are calculated on a monthly basis by the Bureau of Labor Statistics.

A COLA effective for December of the current year is equal to the percentage increase (if any) in the average CPI-W for the third quarter of the current year over the average for the third quarter of the last year in which a COLA became effective. If there is an increase, it must be rounded to the nearest tenth of one percent. If there is no increase, or if the rounded increase is zero, there is no COLA.

COLA Computation
The last year in which a COLA became effective was 2008. Therefore the law requires that we use the average CPI-W for the third quarter of 2008 as the base from which we measure the increase (if any) in the average CPI-W. The base average is 215.495, as shown in the table below.

Also shown in the table below, the average CPI-W for the third quarter of 2010 is 214.136. Because there is no increase in the CPI-W from the third quarter of 2008 through the third quarter of 2010, there is no COLA for December 2010.

CPI-W for—
2008 2010
July 216.304 213.898
August 215.247 214.205
September 214.935 214.306
Third quarter total 646.486 642.409
Average (rounded to the nearest 0.001) 215.495 214.136

source
Aaron
Aaron

Number of posts : 9841

Back to top Go down

Thank you, ..... Obama, ..... Pelosi, ... Reed Empty Re: Thank you, ..... Obama, ..... Pelosi, ... Reed

Post by SamCogar Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:33 pm

Aaron wrote:The social security COLA has nothing to do with Pelosi, Reid or Obama and it's pretty disingenious that you claim it is.

Was your mother also bad about ..... "putting her mouth into motion" ...... before ..... "putting her brain into gear"? Or did you learn that "trick" all by yourself?

I don't recall making any such claim as you stated above.

I was satirically "thanking" Obama, Pelosi and Reid for all the increased prices on good and services which I have been forced to pay for the past 2 years and will be forced to pay for the remainder of 2011 and all of 2012 ...... without the benefit of any increases in my SS Retirement income.

If you had a wee bit of vision then you would know to "look before you leap".

SamCogar

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:22 pm

As Obama, Pelosi and Reid have absolutely nothing to do with COLA increase Sam, it makes no sense for you to thank them satirically.

If anything, as a social security recipient, you owe them a genuine debt of gratitude as they at least gave you a one-time payment when the COLA formula didn’t call for an increase at a cost of billions to hard working American tax-payers. Did you express your appreciation for those payments?

Personally, I think your post is nothing more than you playing politics with the issue and you’re so full of it that you want to blame Democrats just to blame Democrats. I’m pretty sure we determined that when one does that on this board, they are a partisan hack.

And they lack credibility.

Something you prove daily.

Razz Razz Razz
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by SamCogar Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:40 am

Did you express your appreciation for those payments?
I really don't think anyone should be obligated to "expressing their appreciation" to anyone for their receiving of repayments for a contractual debt that is owed to them.

Only idiots and pissed off mimics think otherwise.

SamCogar

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:59 am

If the payments were owed as you claim Sam, why didn't the COLA formula give recipients an increase? Why did President Obama and Democrats have to give the payment to a very angry voting block?
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by SamCogar Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:36 am

If anything, as a social security recipient, you owe them a genuine debt of gratitude as they at least gave you a one-time payment when the COLA formula didn’t call for an increase

GIMME A BREAK, …… idiot mimicry ass, ….. first of all it was not “a one-time payment” because they didn’t owe it to me.

Secondly, it was a $250 “one time gift”, ….. and if spread over 12 monthly payments it would only have amounted to a $20.83 increase in my SS Repayment Check for only one (1) year.

And that $20.83 increase not only didn’t even come close to “covering the inflated costs of goods and services for that year”, …….. for tens of thousands of SS recipients it didn’t amount to as much as that meager COLA they received the last time.

Thus, only mimicking idiot asses are foolish enough to claim that the aforementioned Democrats "are owed a genuine debt of gratitude".

SamCogar

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:48 am

But the cost of goods and services didn't inflate Sam, they deflated as the COLA formula and the CPI prove thus you're claim is wrong.

So if receipents get an increase when the CPI increases, why don't you have to take a decrease when the CPI decreases as it has over the past 3 years?

And why can't you be truthful in this discussion? Why do you have to resort to making false statements? I don't know about Braxton County but I know what we call that in my neck of the woods.
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by SamCogar Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:22 am

If the payments were owed as you claim Sam, why didn't the COLA formula give recipients an increase?

Aaron, ..................

Would a person still get the owed "payment" if there was no new "COLA"?

Would a person still get the new "COLA" if they were not owed a "payment"?

Does the guarantee of an owed "payment" also guarantee the getting of a new "COLA"?

SamCogar

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:42 am

I see you have to resort to weasel wording Sam to try and confuse the conversation. The bottom line is, there was no cost of living allowance because the "cost of goods and services" did not increase. The one-time payment given by President Obama and Democrats was nothing more than a bribe to try and appease senior citizens. You know this. Why do you continue to post false statments?
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by SamCogar Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:46 am

But the cost of goods and services didn't inflate Sam,

AH SO, so the retail costs of food, gasoline, etc. just increased each year over the past 3 years ........ but they didn't inflate, huh.

Good thinking Aaron, good thinking. You don't go grocery shopping much, da ya?

Here, ponder this:

a 3.3% SS COLA for 2007
a 2.3% SS COLA for 2008
a 5.8% SS COLA for 2009
no SS COLA for 2010
no SS COLA for 2011

So, Aaron, ..... tell us, ..... how really, really, really, really BAD was food prices inflation in 2009 iffen, to wit:

Food CPI and Expenditures: Analysis and Forecasts of the CPI for Food

The CPI for all food increased 0.4 percent from January to February 2011, increased 0.9 percent from December 2010 to January 2011, and is now 2.3 percent above the February 2010 level. The food-at-home CPI increased 0.6 percent in February 2011 and is up 2.8 percent from last February, while the food-away-from-home index was up 0.2 percent in February 2011 and is 1.6 percent above last February. Recent food commodity price increases, along with grocery store price increases over the past few months, have pushed ERS's forecasts for food-at-home inflation up to 3.5 to 4.5 percent for 2011. The all-items CPI was up 0.5 percent in February and is 2.1 percent above the February 2010 level.

Beef prices increased 1.9 percent in February and are 10.8 percent above last February, with steak prices up 11.2 percent and ground beef prices up 9.9 percent. Pork prices increased 1 percent in February and are 8.9 percent above last February’s level. Poultry prices increased 0.5 percent in February and are 2 percent above prices last year at this time, with chicken prices up 1.3 percent and other poultry prices (including turkey) up 5.1 percent. As commodity prices and input costs have risen over the past 9 months, beef and pork prices are now significantly higher than in 2010. Increased inflation for beef and pork products is expected in the first half of 2011, as reflected in ERS's forecasts—beef prices are now projected to increase 4.5 to 5.5 percent and pork prices 6 to 7 percent in 2011.

http://www.ers.usda.gov/briefing/cpifoodandexpenditures/consumerpriceindex.htm

SamCogar

Back to top Go down

Post by SamCogar Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:50 am

I see you have to resort to weasel wording Sam

No weazelwording, Aaron, ..... you question made no sense as I tried to point that fact out to you.

SamCogar

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:31 pm

Which question made no sense? The one that said if the CPI increases and you get an increase in your COLA, should you have to take a decrease when the CPI deflates.

And as much as you want to try and weasleword your way around it Social Security uses the CPI to determine COLA increases. The CPI has not inflated over the past two years. That is a simple fact that you cannot refute know many how many fallacies you post.
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by SamCogar Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:43 am

Aaron wrote:Which question made no sense? The one that said if the CPI increases and you get an increase in your COLA, should you have to take a decrease when the CPI deflates.

Aaron, get off the wacky tobacca, meth, Spectator Sports, bath salts, booze, Bible or whatever the hell it is you have been over indulging in that has really corrupted and/or rotted your mind.

My guess is that the culprit is Spectator Sports.

You know damn well which question made no sense because I quoted it to you in my post.

It has become apparent to me that you think EVERYTHING is a Sports competition or a Pissing Contest and you are intent on winning the Blue Ribbon in every event.

If you are going to persist in acting like a mouthy wise ass juvenile delinquent then go run with your boys and their friends and quit making yourself a nuisence to me on this Forum.

SamCogar

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:13 am

SamCogar wrote:
Aaron wrote:Which question made no sense? The one that said if the CPI increases and you get an increase in your COLA, should you have to take a decrease when the CPI deflates.

Aaron, get off the wacky tobacca, meth, Spectator Sports, bath salts, booze, Bible or whatever the hell it is you have been over indulging in that has really corrupted and/or rotted your mind.

That seems like something a girly man would say.

SamCogar wrote:My guess is that the culprit is Spectator Sports.

That sounds like something a girly man who doesn’t understand sports would say.

SamCogar wrote:You know damn well which question made no sense because I quoted it to you in my post.

Where? The only question I can find is where I ask if you should you take a decrease if the CPI deflates? Of course you didn't answer so consider this asking again.

Should you have to take a decrease if the CPI deflates?

SamCogar wrote:It has become apparent to me that you think is a Sports competition or a Pissing Contest and you are intent on winning the Blue Ribbon in every event.

Nope, I just want you to stop acting like a girly man and answer questions when I ask them.

SamCogar wrote:If you are going to persist in acting like a mouthy wise ass juvenile delinquent then go run with your boys and their friends and quit making yourself a nuisence to me on this Forum.

I’m not sure if I should use the cliché “If you can’t stand the heat, stay out of the kitchen” or “If you can’t run with the big Dogs, stay on the porch.”

I don’t suppose you have a preference, do you?
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down