WV Forum for News, Politics, and Sports
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Food Prices Will More Than Double

2 posters

Go down

Food Prices Will More Than Double Empty Food Prices Will More Than Double

Post by SamCogar Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:55 am

The price of some staple foods such as corn will more than double in the next 20 years as demand outpaces production capacity and the climate continues to change, aid agency Oxfam International warned on Tuesday.

By 2050, demand for food will rise 70% from this year, while capacity to increase food production will decline, according to Oxfam, which noted that the average growth rate in agricultural yields has nearly halved since 1990.

“The food system is buckling under intense pressure from climate change, ecological degradation, population growth, rising energy prices, rising demand for meat and dairy products, and competition for land from biofuels, industry, and urbanization,” Oxfam said in its report “Growing a Better Future.”

One out of seven people, roughly 925 million, are hungry, and Oxfam predicts the number will likely pass 1 billion by the end of this year.

http://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/2011/05/31/aid-agency-warns-food-prices-double/

SamCogar

Number of posts : 6238
Registration date : 2007-12-28

Back to top Go down

Food Prices Will More Than Double Empty Re: Food Prices Will More Than Double

Post by Cato Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:47 am

Don't worry Sam, the politicians will save us. don't believe me, just ask'em.

The truth of the matter is we have allowed the dingleberries in Washington and in most state houses to hobble this nation. The greatest resourse we have is the inventiveness of the American public. Yet, the baffoons in politic office has taxed, regulated, and generally crippled this very resourse.

Today, we could be far less dependent on the whims of the regheads in the middle east if we would just use our resourses. Instead of using what we have available, our very politicians on all levels of government have thrown roadblock after roadblock up.

The Marcellus Shale discovery is one example. Judging from the huffing and puffing of the politicans on the local and state level, drilling for the natural gas located under West Virginia was going to throw plutoinium all over the state.

The same is true with the midwest politicians love affair with ethanol. If I remember the figures correctly, the US produces approximately 7.0 billion bushels fo corn each year. Of that 4.5 billion Bushels goes to the production of ethanol, 1.3 billion goes to food production, the rest goes to export. 4.5 billion bushels wonldn't be goingt oethanol production if the polticians had half a brain and were exploiting the energy sourses we have right here in the US.

The only other word I can think of the describes the bozo's leading us on all levels of government is IDIOT.

Cato

Number of posts : 2010
Registration date : 2007-12-28

Back to top Go down