WV Forum for News, Politics, and Sports
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Disenfranchising Voters

3 posters

Go down

Disenfranchising Voters Empty Disenfranchising Voters

Post by ohio county Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:01 am

The Supreme Court is hearing a case regarding an Indiana law that requires voters in that state to present a picture ID. Opponents say that imposes a hardship on the poor, minorities, the homeless, illegal aliens and others who are likely to vote democratic.

It turns out that the example they came up with, one Faye-Buis Ewing, might not have been a great example: She lives in Indiana in the summer and Florida in the winter, has a Florida license, has been illegally collecting her Homestead exemption in both states and is registered to vote in both states. It turns out even Mexico requires picture ID to vote. Why is it too much to ask here?

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080107/LOCAL19/801070387/1006/LOCAL

Opponents of Indiana's voter ID law, which the Supreme Court will take up Wednesday, say the experiences of Buis-Ewing and others show why the law is an unconstitutional burden on voters, particularly on the poor, the elderly, minorities and others who might be less likely to have a driver's license and more likely to vote Democratic.

Indiana's law was challenged by Indiana Democrats, civil liberties activists and groups representing senior citizens, the homeless, minorities and others.
ohio county
ohio county

Number of posts : 3207
Registration date : 2007-12-28

Back to top Go down

Disenfranchising Voters Empty Re: Disenfranchising Voters

Post by Stephanie Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:40 am

Jimmy,

I don't have a problem with requiring ID in order to vote. I actually like the idea. I do have some concerns that this particular law may be too strict. Not every American has a driver's license or a state issued photo ID.

My white, middle class, American born, Republican voting, 62 year-old mother has never had either, in her life. I'm not kidding. She has other forms of ID in her name that could be used.......her social security card and credit cards for example.
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Number of posts : 6556

https://gazzfriends.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ohio county Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:43 am

I'm told that some 80% of Americans regardless of party-affililiation support voter ID of some sort. I cannot see why it is even an issue and I cannot understand why an organization which relies on voters ever takes a position with which it knows the voters will disagree. License may be too stringent. Photo ID should be fine.
ohio county
ohio county

Number of posts : 3207

Back to top Go down

Post by SamCogar Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:57 am

ohio county wrote:I'm told that some 80% of Americans regardless of party-affililiation support voter ID of some sort. I cannot see why it is even an issue and I cannot understand why an organization which relies on voters ever takes a position with which it knows the voters will disagree. License may be too stringent. Photo ID should be fine.

I believe one can go to any WV DMV office and get a "picture ID".

Yup, I Googled it and,

How Do You Get a Photo ID Card?

Applying for a photo ID card is much like applying for your driver's license for the first time, without taking the tests. Head to your local Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV) office―the process is simple.

Download the photo ID application, or obtain one from your local DMV office.
Take proof of your identity, WV residency, and current address.

The same fees that apply for application and renewal of driver's licenses also apply to photo ID cards.

When you apply for a photo ID card, you can also register to vote, and males between the ages of 16 and 26 can register for Selective Service.

http://www.dmv.org/wv-west-virginia/id-cards.php

SamCogar

Number of posts : 6238

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down