WV Forum for News, Politics, and Sports
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Why do Public Employee thieves always get probation

5 posters

Go down

Why do Public Employee thieves always get probation Empty Why do Public Employee thieves always get probation

Post by SamCogar Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:22 am

And never get any jail time for doing those dastardly deeds?

Marmet clerk gets probation in embezzlement

The former clerk for Marmet's sanitary board was sentenced in Kanawha Circuit Court Thursday to three years' probation for embezzling (stealing) more than $11,000.

Donna Corder pleaded guilty to the charge on April 4, admitting that she wrote checks to herself from the sanitary board's funds.

Judge Jennifer Bailey Walker made four to 16 months of participation in the county's Day Report program a requirement of Corder's probation. She also imposed a two- to 10-year prison sentence, but suspended it in favor of probation.

In addition, Corder must make restitution of $11,900.69 to City National Bank, said Kanawha County Assistant Prosecutor Rob Schulenberg.

Corder was arrested in October after Marmet Town Recorder Jill Runnion spotted suspicious activity when she was computerizing town records.

http://www.wvgazette.com/News/200806121164

It makes one think that government agencies have a “Non-repayable ‘If’ Loan Program” that is available to all their employees.

Like, ya can borrow the money and you might only have to pay it back …. ‘If’ ya get found out that you borrowed it.

And ps, it wouldn't surprise me any if the Judge only ordered her to pay $5/month to make restitution of that $11,900.69 owed to City National Bank, which would only be 2,380 monthly payments, ...... which will only take her 198 years to pay it off. Razz Razz

SamCogar

Number of posts : 6238
Registration date : 2007-12-28

Back to top Go down

Why do Public Employee thieves always get probation Empty Re: Why do Public Employee thieves always get probation

Post by TerryRC Sat Jun 14, 2008 5:05 am

And people that embezzle in the private sector never get away with probation?

You are one class act, Sammy.

TerryRC

Number of posts : 2762
Registration date : 2008-01-05

Back to top Go down

Why do Public Employee thieves always get probation Empty Re: Why do Public Employee thieves always get probation

Post by SamCogar Sat Jun 14, 2008 3:11 pm

TerryRC wrote:And people that embezzle in the private sector never get away with probation?

You are one class act, Sammy.

Lots n' lots of people in the private sector get jail time for embezzlement.

So TRC, ..... tell me, ..... what is the diifference between ..... embezzling money, ...... and ..... identity theft?

Or, .... embezzling money, ...... and ..... stealing money out of a cash register?

Embezzlement
A little here, a little there - that's how "innocently" embezzlement can start. But make no mistake - being accused of this crime is very serious.

Even if you have been accused of a modest amount of embezzlement, this white collar crime could still lead to serious, life-altering consequences. Some of the more formidable are noted below.

Social stigma - Embezzlement equals social stigma. The media loves to research and write stories about embezzlement and the sentencing those who embezzle receive. Therefore, your name (as well as your friends, colleagues, and family) will be splashed in the headlines.

Jail time - If you are convicted of embezzlement, you may be sentenced to prison. And believe us when we say that this is not a place you want to go. Even if you are sent to a white collar prison, it's not going to be a "country club" atmosphere, as many erroneously believe. A jail is a jail; your freedoms will be revoked and you'll be unable to see people you care about for long periods of time.
http://www.resource4criminallaw.com/whitecollarcrime.html

AUSTIN, Texas — Friday, May 25, 2007 - A former stripper was sentenced to nearly three-and-a-half years in federal prison Friday for attempting to embezzle more than $1 million from a bank to start her own NASCAR racing team.
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,275522,00.html

Friday, May 16, 2008 4:58 PM EDT
GAYLORD — Linda Wiseley, former executive director of a local builders and contractors association, will serve a minimum four-and-a-half months of a nine-month sentence for the embezzlement of more than $100,000 from the dissolved association.
http://www.gaylordheraldtimes.com/articles/2008/05/17/news/police_courts/doc482df3f77115d429793671.txt

Friday, April 1, 2005
Woman gets prison time for embezzling from Smithville bank
A Central Texas woman was sentenced to 30 months in federal prison Friday for embezzling
http://www.bizjournals.com/austin/stories/2005/03/28/daily57.html

Now TRC, cite me a few examples of public employees doing jail time for embezzlement.

lol! lol! lol!

SamCogar

Back to top Go down

Post by ziggy Sat Jun 14, 2008 4:35 pm

Former County Clerk Released from Prison
7/18/2006

The former Jackson County, Mississippi Chancery Clerk, Lynn Presley has been released from prison after completing 84 months of his 10-year prison sentence for embezzling county funds in the late 1990s.

http://www.davickservices.com/Former_Co_Official_Released.htm

A former part-time city clerk was sentenced yesterday to four months in prison for embezzling $170,000 from the White Plains City Court over the last 10 years

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=940DE4DE1038F932A35751C1A96E948260
ziggy
ziggy

Number of posts : 5731

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Sat Jun 14, 2008 6:42 pm

And maybe if you look long and hard Frank you can find an instance where a public employee from WEST VIRGINIA actually did time.

Keep looking, I'm sure you can do it.
Aaron
Aaron

Number of posts : 9841

Back to top Go down

Post by TerryRC Sun Jun 15, 2008 6:22 am

And maybe if you look long and hard Frank you can find an instance where a public employee from WEST VIRGINIA actually did time.

It'll never be good enough, Ziggy.

Public employees sometimes go to jail for crimes and private sector employees sometimes get off with probation.

Aaron and Sam know that, they just have more fun picking on public employees.

If the public employees weren't there to bitch about, they would find someone else to lampoon.

TerryRC

Back to top Go down

Post by SamCogar Sun Jun 15, 2008 7:34 am

TerryRC wrote:And maybe if you look long and hard Frank you can find an instance where a public employee from WEST VIRGINIA actually did time.

It'll never be good enough, Ziggy.

Public employees (in WV) sometimes go to jail for (embezzlement) crimes and private sector employees sometimes get off with probation.

Now TerryRC, we do not know that just because you say we know it.

TRC, do you want me to "play the same game" on you, ..... and start telling Forum members ...... "what you know"?

Wouldn't you "SQUEEEEEEEEL" ...... like a "stuck" pig iffen I were to do that?

And wouldn't you also badmouth, ..... berate, .... critique, ... criticize, ...... condemn, ..... admonish ..... and cry "FOUL" ..... because I only "did to you" ........ what you first "did to me"?

You sure as hell would, Terry, ...... you sure as hell would.

You would again be crying those "Mommy's boy's tears" .... while claiming you "didn't do it first".

And TRC, ya got the frigging nerve to claim .... "Sam won't debate with me."

GIMME A BREAK

SamCogar

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Sun Jun 15, 2008 8:43 am

TerryRC wrote:Public employees sometimes go to jail for crimes and private sector employees sometimes get off with probation.

If the public employees weren't there to bitch about, they would find someone else to lampoon.

Show where public employees in WV, who's total compensation package is twice that of a private sector worker, go to jail where private sector employees get parole.

It's easy for you to state that. Now it's time to prove it. Put up or shut up TC.

Very Happy
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by TerryRC Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:03 am

Didn't old Arch Moore do some time?

That didn't take long...

BTW, while I can't speak for other agencies, my compensation package is nowhere near what I could get in the private sector.

Just another one of those myths people like you perpetuate.

TerryRC

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:46 am

Remember your total compensation package includes your free health insurance and retirement package and the average state workers is twice that of the private sector. I've got the information at home. I'll dig it up and prove there's nothing myth about it.

And yes ole Arch did some time. So the ratio's down to 100 to 1 of those getting off vs going to jail.
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by SamCogar Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:36 am

TerryRC wrote:Didn't old Arch Moore do some time?

That didn't take long....

And so did Larry whats-his-face from Nicholas County and a few others over the years.

But none of them for embezzlement or ....... missing, unaccounted for, misuse, misappropation of funds.

TerryRC wrote:BTW, while I can't speak for other agencies, my compensation package is nowhere near what I could get in the private sector.

Just another one of those myths people like you perpetuate.

TRC, considering:

the cost of your health insurance,
the number of vacation days you get,
the number of holidays you get,
the number of sick days you get,
the number of personal days you get,
the retirement benefits you get,
the number of years employed to qualify for retirement,

just where in the private sector can you be significantly greater compensated?

lol!

SamCogar

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephanie Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:27 am

I'm not going to remember her name but........

I recall reading about a former delegate from Putnam County who went to prison for some such thing. I can't even google it because I don't recall enough of the details. I do remember she was a pubbie, though.

Lisa something maybe?
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Number of posts : 6556

https://gazzfriends.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ziggy Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:38 am

Stephanie, that was former State Senator Lisa Smith. She failed to pay withholding taxes on her employees to the IRS, as I recall.

She was one of those Newt Gingrich holier than thou types- who was a lot less holier than thou.

She beat then incumbent Putnam County Senator Oshel Craigo on a "conservative, family values" kind of campaign. But I'll betcha that ole' Oshel pays his employees' withholding taxes to the IRS on time.
ziggy
ziggy

Number of posts : 5731

Back to top Go down

Post by SamCogar Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:08 am

Stephanie wrote:I'm not going to remember her name but........

I recall reading about a former delegate from Putnam County who went to prison for some such thing. I can't even google it because I don't recall enough of the details. I do remember she was a pubbie, though.

Lisa something maybe?

It took me a while to find it, ...... but "no", .... not same thing. Her's was a "private" matter.

HUNTINGTON -- A former state senator from Putnam County may be spending the next 25 years in federal prison and be fined $500,000 after pleading guilty Aug. 7 to one count of failing to pay employment taxes and one count of mail fraud.

Lisa D. Smith, 43, of Scott Depot, entered her plea before U.S. District Judge Robert C. "Chuck" Chambers in federal court in Huntington. Her husband, Mark K. Smith, 49, also pleaded guilty Aug. 7 to one count of failure to pay employment taxes. He faces up to five years in federal prison and a fine of $250,000.
http://www.statejournal.com/story.cfm?func=viewstory&storyid=27337

But I did remember the name of another one, former state delegate and senator Randy Schoonover, who went to Jail for bribery. To wit:

http://www.hurherald.com/cgi-bin/db_scripts/articles?Action=user_view&db=hurheral_articles&id=20879

Why do Public Employee thieves always get probation 249131

SamCogar

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephanie Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:48 am

Yes, that's the woman. She was a colleague of sorts of a friend of mine. At one time they both owned and operated home health type agencies. I think she may have spent some time, or is currently, in a mental health facility.
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Number of posts : 6556

https://gazzfriends.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:49 am

Stephanie wrote:I'm not going to remember her name but........

Lisa something maybe?

Lisa Smith for tax evasion. She had two business and instead of paying her employee's federal taxes, she used that money on her campaign to defeat Oshel Craigo.
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by TerryRC Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:26 am

Remember your total compensation package includes your free health insurance and retirement package and the average state workers is twice that of the private sector. I've got the information at home. I'll dig it up and prove there's nothing myth about it.

I don't get free heath insurance, now or after I retire. It used to be that you could save your sick leave and use it to pay your premium after retirement, but not any more. I missed that boat.

Dude, I don't have even a 401K through the state.

You go ahead and dig up your whatever, though, and I'll blow you out of the water.

Don't make generalizations about what state employees do and don't get as not everything is across the board.

TerryRC

Back to top Go down

Post by TerryRC Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:32 am

just where in the private sector can you be significantly greater compensated?

Dow Chemicals.

All of those things you listed, Sam, balance them against salaries and retirement packages in the private sector for those with Masters or PhDs.

I think you will find I could have done much better in the private sector if I wanted to invent new ways to kill things.

Doesn't really matter. State employees eat lobster off of golden dinnerware as we crack jokes about how we fleece the Aarons and Sam Cogars of the world.

Is that what you wanted to hear?

At least Aaron, even if he isn't satisfied with the numbers, got an answer to his "put up or shut up".

TerryRC

Back to top Go down

Post by SamCogar Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:49 am

TerryRC wrote:Remember your total compensation package includes your free health insurance and retirement package and the average state workers is twice that of the private sector. I've got the information at home. I'll dig it up and prove there's nothing myth about it.

I don't get free heath insurance, now or after I retire. It used to be that you could save your sick leave and use it to pay your premium after retirement, but not any more. I missed that boat.

Tuesday June 17, 2008
State employees can start cashing in sick days July 1

Certain state employees who've stashed away an arsenal of sick days over the years can start cashing them in July 1.

The Legislature this year passed a bill that allows eligible state workers to trade their sick days for cash in an effort to ease debt from members of the Public Employees Insurance Agency. Certain state employees hired before 2001 can convert unused sick days into free PEIA coverage after retirement.

Workers who qualify for the unused sick leave payment program must have been hired before July 1, 2001, and have at least 65 days accrued. They must keep at least 50 days in their accrual accounts. Those meeting the requirements will get paid 25 percent of their daily compensation for each traded-in sick day.

Department of Administration spokeswoman Diane Holley said it's too early to tell how many employees will take advantage of the new program.

"We don't know how many will be interested," Holley said. "We'll know later in the summer after the law goes into effect. We haven't received a lot of questions yet."

The proposed rules are posted on the Secretary of State's Web site. The new law is open for public comment until June 29.

The employee must agree to pay back any sick leave cashed out if they leave state government within five years.

Earlier this year, state officials determined there were about 9,300 workers eligible for the program. Including higher education employees, there are about 24,000 state workers overall.

Lawmakers crafted the sick leave bill to stem future health care costs created by PEIA members. If 13,000-plus state employees convert their unused sick days into PEIA coverage after retirement, the unfunded liability is projected at more than $1 billion.

Workers opting to cash-in their sick days instead would help chip away at the unfunded liability.

State law also allows workers to convert unused sick days into service credit for extra retirement benefits.

State employees earn 18 sick days each year

http://www.dailymail.com/News/200806170130

Betcha most of them State employees could have gotten a "much better deal" working for Dow Chemicals.

If they had only wanted to invent new ways to kill things ...... or to improve the lives and well being of people all over the world via one of the many of ......

Dow's Products and Services.

SamCogar

Back to top Go down

Post by TerryRC Thu Jun 19, 2008 4:54 am

What do you reckon entomologists do for Dow, Sammy? Or Merck or Bayer? Even so I doubt many of those other state employees were qualified to go work for Dow.

You are a smart guy - connect the dots.

In the private sector they also get about 2-2.5 times the starting salary that I have after 9 years.

I know, I was cruised by them as a grad student.

They also get much better retirement than the one-to-one match I may get from the state if I retire from them at the proper age.

That is a good break about the sick leave. Be nice to get something. This is, however, the first I have heard of it.

I give about a week to a week and a half of vacation time back to the state each year because you can only carry so much and I am too busy to use it. I don't get cash for it, I just lose it.

Ah, I'm tired of defending myself against righteous prigs.

Believe it or not, some people become public employees because they see a chance to actually serve and help others. I did and I actually chose it over jobs that would have made me more secure, financially.

If you don't want to believe that, you can kiss my ruddy bum.

TerryRC

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:35 am

TerryRC wrote:just where in the private sector can you be significantly greater compensated?

Dow Chemicals.

Is that the same Dow Chemicals that has went from 2000 employess when the purchased Rhône-Poulenc that is now down to something like 300 employees and many of those laid off have Master's and PHD's. So what makes yours special?
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by SamCogar Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:17 am

THEN:
TerryRC wrote:(Yesterday at 6:26 am) It used to be that you could save your sick leave and use it to pay your premium after retirement,

NOW:
TerryRC wrote:( Today at 5:54 am ) That is a good break about the sick leave. This is, however, the first I have heard of it.

I'm tired of defending myself against righteous prigs.

If you don't want to believe that, you can kiss my ruddy bum.

HUUUUMMM, …. he knew it used to be …. before he first heard of it ….. and all I did was post a newspaper article proving his “used to be claim” was false ……. and he levels a “personal attack” against me. affraid affraid

SamCogar

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down