WV Forum for News, Politics, and Sports
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome back to West Virginia

4 posters

Go down

Welcome back to West Virginia Empty Welcome back to West Virginia

Post by SamCogar Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:02 am

An ad campaign to bring back skilled workers is upbeat, creative

The story goes that a man died and went to heaven. St. Peter showed him around, and the man was impressed by how happy everyone was, except for one group of angels who were chained.

St. Peter saw the look of puzzlement on the man's face and said, "Oh they're from West Virginia. If we don't chain them, they go back every weekend."

If only that were the case. It's estimated that 1.2 million West Virginians now live elsewhere.

Those expatriate West Virginians are building the economies of North Carolina, Tennessee, Texas and any other place where private enterprise flourishes.

Gov. Joe Manchin has made West Virginia more presentable to employers. Unfortunately, about a half-century of less-than-friendly attitudes toward business have drained the state of its best resource: its people.

Manchin has launched an advertising campaign that asks people to come home to West Virginia.

"Unfortunately, we are all guilty of teaching an entire generation that they couldn't find a good job in West Virginia, so they don't even bother trying," Manchin has said.

http://www.dailymail.com/Opinion/Editorials/200807140097

Cute idea but I don’t think it will work.

Once a person has been gone for more than a couple years they will have gained new insights and ideas of how things should be done to improve the socio-economic climate in the State. Thus, they might be welcomed back ……. but their new insights and ideas will be flatly rejected and they will forever after be treated as an outsider among their own.

If any of the expatriates come back to WV they will have as much trouble finding a job now as they did back when it was their reason for leaving West Virginia in the first place. And that is because most jobs are awarded because of who you know ….. and not what you know.

SamCogar

Number of posts : 6238
Registration date : 2007-12-28

Back to top Go down

Welcome back to West Virginia Empty Welcome back and bring your inner entrepreneur

Post by Char5 Sat Jul 19, 2008 7:30 am

I would love to see some creative free thinking entrepreneurs come back and actually CREATE some new jobs. (Yes, Sam, I am a dreamer, been one all my life, and actually am too cantankerous (spelling?) to work for anyone else so I am self-employed as an interior designer/decorator/writer). I will say that we have a very good climate for such folks with an active group of people that love to network and the WVSB office offering business breakfast meetings once a month with selected topics and guest speakers (another networking opportunity) to me Montani Semper Libri includes the right to work for ones self and form employment opportunities for others not so inclined. Now if we can just increase enough as a group, maybe we can do something about the astronomical cost of workers comp and those hellatious taxes on businesses. There is strength in numbers, but some will have to step up to the plate to "get-er-done"

Whew, I am tired now, time for a rest. Let's get this discussion rollin', could get VERY interesting.

Charlotte
Char5
Char5

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2008-05-23

http://www.urangatang.com/freesites/cozyhomedesigns4u.com.htm

Back to top Go down

Welcome back to West Virginia Empty Re: Welcome back to West Virginia

Post by Aaron Sat Jul 19, 2008 9:12 am

It appears you are a cat person Charlotte. HMMM.

When is the next SB breakfast? I've got an idea or two and I think it's time I get off my keyster and start doing a little more then just thinking.
Aaron
Aaron

Number of posts : 9841

Back to top Go down

Post by shermangeneral Sat Jul 19, 2008 9:13 am

Well I would guess a lot of blue collar guys might come back with the mines opening up.

shermangeneral

Number of posts : 1347
Registration date : 2007-12-30

Back to top Go down

Post by SamCogar Sat Jul 19, 2008 10:42 am

Char5 wrote:Now if we can just increase enough as a group, maybe we can do something about the astronomical cost of workers comp and those hellatious taxes on businesses. There is strength in numbers, but some will have to step up to the plate to "get-er-done"

Charlotte, you sure are a dreamer.

But in due time I am sure you will wake up.

cheers

SamCogar

Number of posts : 6238

Back to top Go down

Post by Char5 Sat Jul 19, 2008 1:15 pm

Hi Aaron,
How did you ever guess about the cats....actually I love animals in general, but just seem to get along better with cats, they don't like to be told what to do either...LOL. My son has a Pit Bull and my daughter has 2 sweet doggies (OK, even at 47, mommy-speak still has me under it's spell) These are all considered my "gran-dogs" and I like to visit them as much as the gran-kids. The dogs mind better, though. I am sending the info on the latest breakfast, I am not sure if I will be there or not, depends on how busy my week looks. If you think you are going to be there let me know and I will try to be there to say "hello".

BUSINESS for BREAKFAST
Friday July 25
With Rob Godbey
GodbeyWorks
How to Motivate Without Money

7:30 to 8:30 AM
At the Marriott Whitewater Grille

There is no fee, although businesses are encouraged to purchase breakfast. Pre-registration would be appreciated. You can pre-register on-line at www.wvscore.org or e-mail SCORE at score256@wvscore.org.

Cosponsored by SCORE, the State Journal & the WV Small Business Development Center SCORE and the SBDC are resource partner of the Small Business Administration The facilities are handicapped accessible.
Char5
Char5

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2008-05-23

http://www.urangatang.com/freesites/cozyhomedesigns4u.com.htm

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down