WV Forum for News, Politics, and Sports
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Assassination of Benazir Bhutto Displays Disparity in Obitua

+2
Stephanie
ohio county
6 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Assassination of Benazir Bhutto Displays Disparity in Obitua Empty Assassination of Benazir Bhutto Displays Disparity in Obitua

Post by ohio county Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:49 am

I have mentioned before in other forums that the English write superior obituaries to ours. Here's an example:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/12/28/world/asia/28bhutto.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml;jsessionid=AGWVUACW2I35ZQFIQMFCFF4AVCBQYIV0?xml=/news/2007/12/27/db2702.xml&page=1
ohio county
ohio county

Number of posts : 3207
Registration date : 2007-12-28

Back to top Go down

Assassination of Benazir Bhutto Displays Disparity in Obitua Empty Re: Assassination of Benazir Bhutto Displays Disparity in Obitua

Post by Stephanie Fri Dec 28, 2007 11:47 am

The Brits do almost everything better. Well, almost, the food is dreadful.

Bhutto was a very courageous woman. I fear what comes next, particularly from our government.
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Number of posts : 6556

https://gazzfriends.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Assassination of Benazir Bhutto Displays Disparity in Obitua Empty Re: Assassination of Benazir Bhutto Displays Disparity in Obitua

Post by Aaron Fri Dec 28, 2007 12:04 pm

Stephanie wrote:The Brits do almost everything better. Well, almost, the food is dreadful.

Bhutto was a very courageous woman. I fear what comes next, particularly from our government.

I've always been curious how a woman got to the position that she did in an Islamist society. As for what's next, there's a very interesting article in Time.
Aaron
Aaron

Number of posts : 9841

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephanie Fri Dec 28, 2007 12:11 pm

Aaron wrote:
Stephanie wrote:The Brits do almost everything better. Well, almost, the food is dreadful.

I've always been curious how a woman got to the position that she did in an Islamist society. As for what's next, there's a very interesting article in Time.

She sort of inherited it. Her father was the beloved founder of the People's Party and he was executed in 1979. I'm pretty sure her brothers were all either executed or assassinated and she just carried on her father's legacy. She truly was a remarkable woman. She wasn't perfect, but she was inspiring.
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Fri Dec 28, 2007 12:14 pm

I'm just suprised that given her gender she was accepted as a leader in that society. From the way the US news portrays that religion, it could never happen.

Could the mainstream media be putting out information that isn't entirely accurate??? affraid
Aaron
Aaron

Number of posts : 9841

Back to top Go down

Post by shermangeneral Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:27 am

Well thank goodness she was not really assassinated afterall.

Turns out she just slipped and bumped her head when that car backfired.

Yeah right.

shermangeneral

Number of posts : 1347
Registration date : 2007-12-30

Back to top Go down

Post by ohio county Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:49 am

Whether she was shot to death or had an accident with the sun roof, can we agree that charges Musharaf was giving her inadequate security were bogus? How are you going to protect somebody who stands up in a sunroof to wave at all the fruitcakes?
ohio county
ohio county

Back to top Go down

Post by SamCogar Mon Dec 31, 2007 12:19 pm

She should have borrowed the Popemobile.

SamCogar

Number of posts : 6238

Back to top Go down

Assassination of Benazir Bhutto Displays Disparity in Obitua Empty Musharif no more reliable than bush

Post by shermangeneral Mon Dec 31, 2007 12:22 pm

Well I for one would put no more credence in what the Musharif gang says than if it was the bush/cheney duo.

shermangeneral

Back to top Go down

Post by ziggy Mon Dec 31, 2007 3:09 pm

ohio county wrote:Whether she was shot to death or had an accident with the sun roof, can we agree that charges Musharaf was giving her inadequate security were bogus? How are you going to protect somebody who stands up in a sunroof to wave at all the fruitcakes?

So the supporters of a democratic reform candidate are "fruitcakes"?
ziggy
ziggy

Number of posts : 5731

Back to top Go down

Post by ohio county Mon Dec 31, 2007 3:21 pm

Upon her immediate return to Pakistan, Bhutto was confronted with a baby for kissing. Due to pressure from her handlers she was whisked away and was safely gone when the baby exploded. Those who would strap bombs to babies are fruitcakes.

Some republicans are fruitcakes.

And, yes, some supporters of democratic reform candidates are fruitcakes.
ohio county
ohio county

Back to top Go down

Post by shermangeneral Mon Dec 31, 2007 4:55 pm

Come on OC you dont believe she fell and bumped her head any more than I do.

If the bush gang would have gone after bin Ladin instead of turning things over to these local warlords and military dictators we would be in a lot better situation right now.

Instead of being bogged down in a futile occupation of Iraq while bin Ladin is seen as a big hero who kept the US at bay for six years.

shermangeneral

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephanie Mon Dec 31, 2007 5:26 pm

ohio county wrote:Whether she was shot to death or had an accident with the sun roof, can we agree that charges Musharaf was giving her inadequate security were bogus? How are you going to protect somebody who stands up in a sunroof to wave at all the fruitcakes?

I don't think it is at all clear the charges against the current Pakistani regime are bogus. I do think it is clear the Bhutto was somewhat reckless.

As for the fruitcakes........there are plenty to go around to be sure. I highly doubt that it was a democratic reform variety fruitcake who killed this woman. I do think Bhutto herself was a bit of a fruitcake.

I liked her, I did. I still think she was courageous and very inspirational to women all over the world. I admire her conviction. Her conviction is also what makes me question her mental health.

Her father was executed. Her brothers were both killed. There are some who believe that one or both may have been killed on her orders. In any event, her family has been wiped out and she fears for her own safety and rightly so.

So what does she do? Who does she pass this burden on to? Her 19 year old son. As a mother that is something I simply cannot understand. I have an 18 year old son. I would never, under any circumstances, place him in such a dangerous situation. Not for myself, not for my husband, not even for his own siblings and certainly not for my country.

I guess my patriotism only goes so far. Perhaps I'm the fruitcake. Perhaps I'm just a whimp as I've long suspected. Still, go ask your wives if they would ever jeopardize one of their own children that way. Ask yourselves, would you do that to your son or daughter?
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by shermangeneral Mon Dec 31, 2007 5:43 pm

Well Steph I could be wrong but as I understand she did not pass it on to her son.

She passed it on to her husband.

He in turn said hail no I dont want it you take it and passed it on to the son.

I still have not heard why the husband did that.

Maybe he just did not feel a "calling" I dont know.

shermangeneral

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephanie Mon Dec 31, 2007 5:59 pm

shermangeneral wrote:Well Steph I could be wrong but as I understand she did not pass it on to her son.

She passed it on to her husband.

He in turn said hail no I dont want it you take it and passed it on to the son.

I still have not heard why the husband did that.

Maybe he just did not feel a "calling" I dont know.

Holy crap, Sherm, you are correct! I was going by a news report I heard on television yesterday. I thought on CNN but this is what their website is reporting today:

Zardari also said Sunday he will serve as co-chairman of the Pakistan People's Party while their 19-year-old son, Bilawal, and newly named heir to the party leadership, finishes his studies.

"He will, of course, be kept aware of all that is happening with the party," Zardari told CNN sister network CNN-IBN. "I will be looking after the interests of the party, as a guide, as a helper, and as a friend to the party, and as a part-time leader to the party."

Once the political science student at Oxford University has been properly groomed, "then I can go and play golf," Zardari said, without specifying how long he thought the process would take.

Zardari acknowledged that his wife stipulated in her will that he was to step into her role in the event of her death. But Zardari said his decision to pass that role to their son is correct.

"I, in my political wisdom, think we need a larger symbol than myself to keep the party united with her gone," he said. "Because she could have probably not even herself imagined the reaction that her death would do to Pakistan."

He said Bhutto's assassination on Thursday has thrust Pakistan onto the verge of disintegration.

But Zardari said the parliamentary elections slated to be held January 8, less than two weeks after his wife's death, should not be postponed.

"Our demand is elections on time -- free, fair as promised," he said.

He called on opposition leader Nawaz Sharif -- who heads the Pakistan Muslim League-N party -- to also take part in the vote. Sharif has previously said he would boycott the election.

But sources within the Pakistan Muslim League-N party say they will stand with the PPP and take part in the election. Speaking on Pakistan's GEO-TV, Sharif said an official announcement on the party's decision would take place Monday.

President Pervez Musharraf's ruling Pakistan Muslim League-Q, the election commission and the interim Cabinet will hold separate meetings in the coming days to discuss the possibility of a delayed vote.

Zardari said he does not trust the government led by Musharraf to ensure the elections are indeed free and fair, but he does believe the people of Pakistan will be able to ensure that happens.

Whether his other two children will decide to enter politics "is entirely up to them," he said.

"You know children today. You cannot force them or ask them to do anything. They do what they choose to do. Bilawal has chosen this. And so will the other two -- if they choose to come and help their brother and help their father, they're welcome to. If they choose not, then I will not impose anything upon anybody."

He said Bhutto had trained Bilawal: "He realizes the enormity of the situation. So therefore, he's accepted the responsibility." Watch Bhutto's son and husband talk about the party's future »

The teenager, speaking in English at a news conference, said, "I am thankful for the CEC [Central Election Commission] for imposing their trust in me as chairman of the Pakistan People's Party."

"Like all chairmen of the PPP, I will stand as the symbol of the federation," said Bilawal Bhutto. "The party's long and historic struggle for democracy will continue with renewed vigor, and I stand committed to the stability of the federation.

"My mother always said democracy is the best revenge."

Shermy you have to stop proving me wrong like this.

You're shattering my self-image! Wink
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by shermangeneral Mon Dec 31, 2007 7:09 pm

Please Steph, it is not my intent to "prove you wrong", but to help you see the light.

And insofar as your self image what can I say?

You are the one who created this forum, for which I thank you and assure you that it will take many missteps on your part to shake my heartfelt appreciation.

And you certainly are not prone to missteps.

(being wrong on issues is obviously not a misstep by my definition)... Very Happy

shermangeneral

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephanie Mon Dec 31, 2007 7:29 pm

shermangeneral wrote:Please Steph, it is not my intent to "prove you wrong", but to help you see the light.

And insofar as your self image what can I say?

You are the one who created this forum, for which I thank you and assure you that it will take many missteps on your part to shake my heartfelt appreciation.

And you certainly are not prone to missteps.

(being wrong on issues is obviously not a misstep by my definition)... Very Happy

Oh, Sherm, believe me, creating this forum was a very selfish act on my part.

I have been in WV just over a year. You guys are among my best WV friends. No way I was going to let some newspaper dweeb take you guys away from me because some spineless jellyfish are too stupid to breathe.

My only regret is other than the people already registered for this forum and SheikBen (who I'm certain will join soon), we have no way of inviting the others along. It is my sincere hope that with very few exceptions they find us very soon.

To be honest with you, there is only one I would out right ban. I wouldn't ban anyone else unless a clear majority of the other members asked me to. One Citizen, however, I honestly believe played a major role in the closing of the Gazz forum so I don't want him here.

So I thank you for coming along for the ride!

Happy New Year, Sherm. Very Happy
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by SamCogar Tue Jan 01, 2008 6:18 am

shermangeneral wrote:Come on OC you dont believe she fell and bumped her head any more than I do.

OH MY, ....... but ShermanGeneral, ....... you believed Oswald was the lone shooter in the School Book Depository building, .......... right? Laughing Laughing

SamCogar

Number of posts : 6238

Back to top Go down

Post by shermangeneral Tue Jan 01, 2008 9:30 am

OH MY, ....... but ShermanGeneral, ....... you believed Oswald was the lone shooter in the School Book Depository building, .......... right? Laughing Laughing

.[/quote]

Well Sam I have been thinking since this new forum is just getting off the ground, plus it is New Years and a time for resolutions, it might be a good time for me to change the way I deal with your consistent false statements about what I say or believe.

So instead of just ignoring them as I have tended to do in the past, I will from now on point them out or call you on them.

So please point us to a quote or a source for the statement above. Rolling Eyes

shermangeneral

Back to top Go down

Post by shermangeneral Tue Jan 01, 2008 10:04 am

"One Citizen, however, I honestly believe played a major role in the closing of the Gazz forum so I don't want him here."

Well since he was a fellow leftie he did not agitate me as much as you guys on the right.

But I could tell yall did not like him.

But I agree he was too forceful in his opinions sometimes.

Just like some on the right.

But I understand we all look through our own rose colored glasses so I am not surprised that he is banned.

shermangeneral

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephanie Tue Jan 01, 2008 10:25 am

shermangeneral wrote:"One Citizen, however, I honestly believe played a major role in the closing of the Gazz forum so I don't want him here."

Well since he was a fellow leftie he did not agitate me as much as you guys on the right.

But I could tell yall did not like him.

But I agree he was too forceful in his opinions sometimes.

Just like some on the right.

But I understand we all look through our own rose colored glasses so I am not surprised that he is banned.

Sherm,

We are who and what we are. You are a Democrat and that's ok. I'm a Republican and that's ok too. I'm not banning One Citizen because he is a liberal or a "leftist".

You are always a gentleman. You and I have had many disagreements in the past and I fully anticipate we will have many disagreements in the future. However somehow you and I manage to maintain a level a civility and have even managed to somehow form a friendship.

I don't necessarily "like" everyone we chat with. Aaron and I have had very heated debates, as you well know. Sam and I have batted each other about a time or two. Cato, Keli, and RC and I have all had some pretty heated exchanges. All of these men have had my dander up and with Aaron in particular, I have lost my cool a time or two and said and posted things I wish I hadn't.

One Citizen was different. He was all attack and always on the offensive. He would never, or perhaps could never, simply agree to disagree. He wasn't satisfied at insisting others were wrong. Instead he called us Iraqi baby killers and made other slanderous and outrageous accusations and insuations about child molesters and rapists and so forth. Even that wasn't enough for him.

When things got too hot for him he threatened to go running to Gazz officials and I happen to believe he did. Could I be wrong about that? I suppose. It also could be that someone from the Gazz had just started paying attention to the forum and witnessed all that was going on and that led to its closure. Either way, I hold him responsible.

I'm thrilled you and everyone else from Aaron to Ziggy that has joined us is here. I managed to find almost all of you because you were the people I was closest to anyway and I'm very thankful for that. Still I'm angry and a little sad that I have no way of contacting Keith, hyperstation, JDR, Randall, and all the others.

I just want to make sure you understand why I don't want him around. I could be wrong, but I blame him.
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by shermangeneral Tue Jan 01, 2008 11:29 am

please see suggestion re this under local news.

shermangeneral

Back to top Go down

Post by ziggy Tue Jan 01, 2008 12:55 pm

1-C had an incessant penchant for calling almost all who disagreed with him a "liar"- and with his "proofs" that so and so was a liar- when all so-and-so had done was say what he/she believed. As Aaron says, our opinions are not necessarily subject to "proofs".
ziggy
ziggy

Number of posts : 5731

Back to top Go down

Post by shermangeneral Tue Jan 01, 2008 1:08 pm

Well insofar as One Citizen engaged in that anti-social behavior I do not uphold him.

I would merely point out that others (on the other side of the political spectrum) have also done so.

And they are not banned.

I would personally like to see that standard adopted for both sides, beginning now.

Are you familiar with Plato's Republic and the discussion of "Justice" therein?

shermangeneral

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephanie Tue Jan 01, 2008 1:11 pm

shermangeneral wrote:Well insofar as One Citizen engaged in that anti-social behavior I do not uphold him.

I would merely point out that others (on the other side of the political spectrum) have also done so.

And they are not banned.

I would personally like to see that standard adopted for both sides, beginning now.

Are you familiar with Plato's Republic and the discussion of "Justice" therein?

Oh really? Who went to One C's lengths? I'd like a name or names and a couple of examples.

You want him here? I suppose if he shows up we could put it to a vote. I didn't create this forum to be a dictator.
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next