WV Forum for News, Politics, and Sports
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bravo Senator Wells!

2 posters

Go down

Bravo Senator Wells! Empty Bravo Senator Wells!

Post by Stephanie Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:01 am

State Senator Criticizes Teacher Unions

CHARLESTON, W.Va. (WV Metro News) -- Kanawha County state Senator Erik Wells took on the state's two teacher unions Thursday, accusing them of being more interested in pay than students' education.

"We have to change," an emotional Wells said during a Senate Finance Committee meeting Thursday. "I get tired of the WVEA and the AFT always talking about pay and not about kids."

Wells made the comments as he pushed for legislation that would allow for the creation of charter schools. Wells and other supporters say charter schools would clear out much of the typical public education bureaucracy, allowing innovation and great accountability. West Virginia is one of just eight states that does not permit charter schools.

West Virginia Education Association President Dale Lee countered that charter schools would amount to cherry picking the best students at the expense of others by "taking public money away from every child in West Virginia and telling a select few students that they will have a better chance."

Wells accused Lee and others of "fear mongering" to keep charter schools from working. "I'm just looking for some change in the way we educate our students," Wells said.

Wells was relentless on the unions, accusing them of not having the best interest of students in mind. "I would hope your organizations would not be a roadblock," Wells chastised the union leadership.

The unions prevailed, however, because the committee decided to just study the bill rather than act on it. Wells agreed to the study resolution, but added that he'll bring the bill up next year. "I'll be dammed if I'm just going to stand there and let it go by," Wells said.

The legislation would have permitted a charter school if 60 percent of the parents and teachers wanted it. Wells said the goal was to empower teachers and parents to create the best school possible without the myriad regulations that normal public schools have to deal with.

Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Number of posts : 6556
Registration date : 2007-12-28

https://gazzfriends.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Bravo Senator Wells! Empty Re: Bravo Senator Wells!

Post by Stephanie Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:06 am

Democrat lays into teachers' unions
By Phil Kabler
Staff writer

CHARLESTON, W.Va. -- In a brutally frank exchange Thursday, a Kanawha County state senator accused West Virginia's teachers unions of being more concerned about teacher pay raises than about providing quality education for the state's schoolchildren.
"I've gotten tired, in three years here, of nobody from the WVEA or the AFT sitting down in my office and saying, 'What about the kids?' It's always about teacher salaries," Democrat Sen. Erik Wells said in the Senate Finance Committee.
Wells accused representatives from the West Virginia Education Association and the West Virginia Federation of Teachers of blocking his legislation (SB758) to authorize public charter schools in the state because it would put their status quo at risk.
West Virginia is one of a handful of states that do not permit charter schools, and Wells said he believes the unions see the proposal as a threat.
"The time has come for charter schools," he said. "Competition with public schools is not something to be afraid of."
Wells said that when he first ran for the Senate in 2006, he sought out endorsements from the teachers' unions because he believed they really cared about improving public education.
"After three years here, I don't think they do," he said.
On Friday, Wells grilled WVEA President Dale Lee over why the state association opposes charter schools, when the National Education Association endorsed Barack Obama's charter schools proposals.
Lee said the association favors trying other school improvement options before charter schools. "I think there are as many charter schools that are unsuccessful as those that have success," he said.
Afterward, Lee said of charter schools, "It takes public money away from all the kids of West Virginia and puts it toward the select few."
Lee also denied that the state teachers' associations are focused solely on increasing teacher pay.
"I would challenge any senator or delegate I've had conversations with since I've taken office that I've never spoken anything about money," he said. "I've spoken about changes for the better for public education. It's not all about the money."
Wells said he realized he was treading into dangerous political territory by calling out the teachers unions, but said he is passionate about allowing charter schools in West Virginia.
"You come to the Legislature for one of two reasons: You want to effect change, or you want to get re-elected," he said. "This is about effecting change."
Ultimately, the committee tabled the bill, but passed a study resolution calling for the issue of charter schools to be studied by a legislative interim committee in the coming year.
Wells said it is clear that many state schoolchildren are not receiving quality educations.
"We have businesses that have difficulty finding employees who can pass a ninth-grade math test," he said. "If we had a great education system, that would not be the case."
Reach Phil Kabler at ph...@wvgazettte.com or 304-348-1220.

CHARLESTON, W.Va. -- In a brutally frank exchange Thursday, a Kanawha County state senator accused West Virginia's teachers unions of being more concerned about teacher pay raises than about providing quality education for the state's schoolchildren.
"I've gotten tired, in three years here, of nobody from the WVEA or the AFT sitting down in my office and saying, 'What about the kids?' It's always about teacher salaries," Democrat Sen. Erik Wells said in the Senate Finance Committee.
Wells accused representatives from the West Virginia Education Association and the West Virginia Federation of Teachers of blocking his legislation (SB758) to authorize public charter schools in the state because it would put their status quo at risk.
West Virginia is one of a handful of states that do not permit charter schools, and Wells said he believes the unions see the proposal as a threat.
"The time has come for charter schools," he said. "Competition with public schools is not something to be afraid of."
Wells said that when he first ran for the Senate in 2006, he sought out endorsements from the teachers' unions because he believed they really cared about improving public education.
"After three years here, I don't think they do," he said.
On Friday, Wells grilled WVEA President Dale Lee over why the state association opposes charter schools, when the National Education Association endorsed Barack Obama's charter schools proposals.
Lee said the association favors trying other school improvement options before charter schools. "I think there are as many charter schools that are unsuccessful as those that have success," he said.
Afterward, Lee said of charter schools, "It takes public money away from all the kids of West Virginia and puts it toward the select few."
Lee also denied that the state teachers' associations are focused solely on increasing teacher pay.
"I would challenge any senator or delegate I've had conversations with since I've taken office that I've never spoken anything about money," he said. "I've spoken about changes for the better for public education. It's not all about the money."
Wells said he realized he was treading into dangerous political territory by calling out the teachers unions, but said he is passionate about allowing charter schools in West Virginia.
"You come to the Legislature for one of two reasons: You want to effect change, or you want to get re-elected," he said. "This is about effecting change."
Ultimately, the committee tabled the bill, but passed a study resolution calling for the issue of charter schools to be studied by a legislative interim committee in the coming year.
Wells said it is clear that many state schoolchildren are not receiving quality educations.
"We have businesses that have difficulty finding employees who can pass a ninth-grade math test," he said. "If we had a great education system, that would not be the case."
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Number of posts : 6556

https://gazzfriends.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:52 am

Bravo soon to be former Senator Wells.

The truth shall set you free.
Aaron
Aaron

Number of posts : 9841

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down