WV Forum for News, Politics, and Sports
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stop Mountaintop Mining!

+2
ohio county
Ich bin Ala-awkbarph
6 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Stop Mountaintop Mining! Empty Stop Mountaintop Mining!

Post by Ich bin Ala-awkbarph Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:49 pm

To the Editor:

Rev. Harry Tick, Eco-Prophet of the WV Council of Chipmunks and Churches, condemns mountaintop mining for three reasons: (1) We have enough low-cost energy and coal severance income tax money now. (2) Removing mountaintops causes a rippling of the ozone layer: i.e. gravity that was once pushed up by mountaintops is no longer there. This rippling—mountains and valleys in the atmosphere-- causes heating and cooling bands as cosmic winds of sub-atomic particles from our sun scour our planet’s fragile upper atmosphere. Furthermore, the filling in of valleys disrupts the flow of primordial airstreams which once freely coursed their ways through our mountains—much like our pristine water rivers. The fact that these rivers of air are blocked means that they can no longer bring their cooling breezes. Thus, valley filling is not only exacerbating Global Warming; but, it is therefore compounding the carbon footprint debt of all Mountaineers. Can we afford that? No! We don’t have an exemption from the Kyoto “Don’t Pee in the Pool”-Protocol like India and China was given! Finally, (3) We are the Mountain State—not the Plains State. If we wanted to be flatlanders, we would move to Iowa. Stop mountaintop mining now!
Ich bin Ala-awkbarph
Ich bin Ala-awkbarph

Number of posts : 2310
Registration date : 2008-01-28

Back to top Go down

Stop Mountaintop Mining! Empty Re: Stop Mountaintop Mining!

Post by ohio county Mon Feb 25, 2008 3:07 pm

But if they continue mountain mining, we can pave it and rent it out for parking to New Jersey.
ohio county
ohio county

Number of posts : 3207
Registration date : 2007-12-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Ich bin Ala-awkbarph Mon Feb 25, 2008 3:10 pm

ohio county wrote:But if they continue mountain mining, we can pave it and rent it out for parking to New Jersey.

My neighbor Maude Thistle raises a good point: "If we don't have mountains, what's to stop a Katrina from hitting us? "
Ich bin Ala-awkbarph
Ich bin Ala-awkbarph

Number of posts : 2310
Registration date : 2008-01-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephanie Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:47 pm

ohio county wrote:But if they continue mountain mining, we can pave it and rent it out for parking to New Jersey.

Yes, that's it!

Just like the song. Who was that? Dylan or Mitchell I suppose.

They want to pave paradise and put up a parking lot.
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Number of posts : 6556

https://gazzfriends.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by SamCogar Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:55 am

I really think all "greenies", ....... all "anti-CO2 generators" ......... all "anti-Nuclearists" ....... and all "MTR'ers" ....... should really be praying for a cool, wet Summer of 2008.

Because if it is not "cool n' wet" ....... then the $4/gal gasoline, another 20% - 30% increase in food costs, ...... plus increa$e$ in other expenses will only frustrate and PO you ......... but the "rolling blackouts" due to insufficient electrical power will really make you mad as hell and put you in a "whup arse mood".

It will then be interesting to "read" ........ who you blame "your problems on". affraid affraid affraid

cheers

SamCogar

Number of posts : 6238

Back to top Go down

Post by ziggy Tue Feb 26, 2008 6:02 pm

SamCogar wrote:I really think all "greenies", ....... all "anti-CO2 generators" ......... all "anti-Nuclearists" ....... and all "MTR'ers" ....... should really be praying for a cool, wet Summer of 2008.

Because if it is not "cool n' wet" ....... then the $4/gal gasoline, another 20% - 30% increase in food costs, ...... plus increa$e$ in other expenses will only frustrate and PO you ......... but the "rolling blackouts" due to insufficient electrical power will really make you mad as hell and put you in a "whup arse mood".

This from the guy who won't use his power tools because he imagines his electric power rates have doubled over the past 15 years, but while everyone else's have actually decreased.
Suspect Suspect Suspect
ziggy
ziggy

Number of posts : 5731

Back to top Go down

Post by SamCogar Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:03 am

Here Zigster, display some more of your economic brilliance by telling us that all of these "INCREASES" are just figments of people's imagination. Razz Razz Razz Razz

Feb. 26, 2008

WASHINGTON - In more bad economic news, consumer confidence and home prices posted sharp declines while higher costs for such basics as food and energy left wholesale inflation rising at the fastest pace in a quarter-century.

The new reports Tuesday raised the threat of a return of "stagflation," the economic curse of the 1970s in which economic growth stagnates at the same time that inflation continues racing ahead.

The 1 percent January jump in wholesale prices was led by a surge in the prices of energy, food and prescription drugs and followed a report last week that consumer prices had risen by a bigger-than-expected 0.4 percent because of price pressures in the same areas.

Over the past 12 months, wholesale prices rose by 7.4 percent, the largest yearly gain since late 1981. Analysts warned consumers to brace for more bad inflation news with crude oil prices rising to records above $100 per barrel and with more evidence that the prolonged jump in energy prices is starting to break out into more widespread price problems.

The 1 percent jump in wholesale prices in January followed a 0.3 percent decline in December and a 2.6 percent spike in November.

The wholesale report said energy prices jumped 1.5 percent, as gasoline prices rose by 2.9 percent and the cost of home heating oil soared by 8.5 percent. Food costs jumped by 1.7 percent, the biggest monthly increase in three years.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23349559/

SamCogar

Back to top Go down

Post by ziggy Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:15 am

But that electric bill you tried to convince us had doubled is still at the same rate, though.
ziggy
ziggy

Back to top Go down

Post by SamCogar Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:16 pm

Yup, and so is my natural gas bill, ....... it hasn't changed in 25 years.

SamCogar

Back to top Go down

Post by SamCogar Sat Mar 01, 2008 7:32 am

ziggy wrote:But that electric bill you tried to convince us had doubled is still at the same rate, though.

AEP wants 17% rate increase

$156M will not be profit, Appalachian chief asserts

Electric bills could be going up again.

Appalachian Power and Wheeling Power on Friday asked the state Public Service Commission for a 17 percent rate increase.

The move would increase annual revenues for the company by about $156 million.

Customers using 1,000 kilowatt-hours a month would see their bills rise from $64.55 to $73.94 - a $9.39 hike.

"By far, most of the increase we're requesting today is due to the increase price of new coal supplies and purchased power," Dana Waldo, Appalachian Power president, said in a prepared statement Friday.

"This is simply a pass-through expense that includes no profit for the company."

The $156 million would be split up the following way:

$84 million for the cost of fuel - mostly coal - used to make electricity;

$50 million for purchased power;

$17 million for "scrubbers" at the John Amos and Mountaineer power plants, which are needed to comply with federal and state clean air laws;

$5 million for improvements.

Electric bills have been on the rise over the past few years as Appalachian Power, a subsidiary of American Electric Power, seeks to cover the cost of the scrubber projects.

The projects' total cost is $1.4 billion.

http://www.wvgazette.com/News/200802290725

SamCogar

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Sat Mar 01, 2008 10:17 am

SamCogar wrote:Electric bills have been on the rise over the past few years as Appalachian Power, a subsidiary of American Electric Power, seeks to cover the cost of the scrubber projects.

http://www.wvgazette.com/News/200802290725 [/color]

Of course they've been going up for years. Only a fool believes they've remained the same for 25 years. On the plus side, anyone that has seen the amount of work that is going on at John Amos understands how important their $3,000,000,000.00 investment into jobs and producing a clean product is to the vally, the state and the nation.

Had Al Gore won in 2000, I would have looked across the river and seen tumbleweeds and the rates would have still gone up to cover the cost of government intrusions and fines.

Actually, that last part isn't true. Had Al Gore won, it would have been devasting to jobs in West Virginia and as I have no desire to work for the government, I would have moved before the end of 2001.
Aaron
Aaron

Number of posts : 9841

Back to top Go down

Post by ziggy Sat Mar 01, 2008 10:45 am

Aaron wrote:
SamCogar wrote:Electric bills have been on the rise over the past few years as Appalachian Power, a subsidiary of American Electric Power, seeks to cover the cost of the scrubber projects.

http://www.wvgazette.com/News/200802290725 [/color]

Of course they've been going up for years. Only a fool believes they've remained the same for 25 years.

Electricity prices fluctuate, sometimes up and sometimes down, almost every year. Between 1993 and 2003 American Electric Power (Appalachain Power in WV) prices for electricity had a net 3.4 percent decrease:

MONTHLY RESIDENTIAL UTILITY RATES 1993 - 2003

CHARLESTON:
[size=7]

1993 1994 1995 1996 1997 1998 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 1993-2003
APCO 38.33 38.23 38.23 38.23 36.96 36.96 36.96 37.03 37.03 37.03 37.03

net % increase (-)3.4%

http://www.cad.state.wv.us/Charleston03.pdf

Last edited by ziggy on Sat Mar 01, 2008 11:17 am; edited 1 time in total
ziggy
ziggy

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Sat Mar 01, 2008 11:17 am

This is 2008. You need to go back to the 50's.
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by ziggy Sat Mar 01, 2008 11:21 am

But SamCogar said that his electricity rates had doubled in the past 15 years- increased so much that he could no longer afford to use his power tools. 15 years ago was 1993.

Like so much of Sam's b.s., it ain't so.
ziggy
ziggy

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Sat Mar 01, 2008 11:24 am

I won't get into it because I can't bring up what he said on the old board to prove what I know is true.
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by ziggy Sat Mar 01, 2008 11:30 am

Aaron wrote:I won't get into it because I can't bring up what he said on the old board to prove what I know is true.

It's too late now to blame the "old board". You've already gotten into it.

So do you deny that SamCogar told us that he could no longer afford to use his power tools becausse electricity rates had doubled in the past 15 years? Do you agree with him that electricity rates have doubled in the past 15 years? Where is the evidence of it?
ziggy
ziggy

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Sat Mar 01, 2008 11:35 am

My memory is a tad faulty but I thought he said 50 years on the old board. I guess it could have been 30. I don't think it was 15. But I could be like you are the vast majority of the time you post in this instance.

Wrong.

I really don't think I am though.
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by ziggy Sat Mar 01, 2008 11:46 am

Usage is increasing
Rates for Appalachian Power customers in West Virginia have been stable for more than 20 years. In 1984, residential customers paid about $60 a month for 1,000 kilowatt hours of electricity. Even with the increase, customers will still pay less than they did then, and rates will remain among the lowest in the nation.

http://www.appalachianpower.com/news/rateFiling/
ziggy
ziggy

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Sat Mar 01, 2008 12:05 pm

Then a rate hike is long overdue, right Zigger.
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by ziggy Sat Mar 01, 2008 12:11 pm

Maybe. So have you abandoned SamCogar's claim about rates having already doubled in the past 15 years- or even 50 years?
ziggy
ziggy

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Sat Mar 01, 2008 12:26 pm

ziggy wrote:Maybe. So have you abandoned SamCogar's claim about rates having already doubled in the past 15 years- or even 50 years?

Sam can speak for himself. He doesn't need me to speak for him. I'm merely pointing out that I don't think he said 15 years.

I'm 42. I have no idea what rates were 50 years ago.

I also don't know that the percentage of income rates were 50 or 15 years ago or how inflation has effected the rates in that time so I have no idea if they've doubled, increased by 25% or gone down.

What my common sense tells me is that they are not the same as you contend they were 50 years ago.
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by ziggy Sat Mar 01, 2008 12:47 pm

Aaron wrote:
ziggy wrote:Maybe. So have you abandoned SamCogar's claim about rates having already doubled in the past 15 years- or even 50 years?

Sam can speak for himself. He doesn't need me to speak for him. I'm merely pointing out that I don't think he said 15 years.

I'm 42. I have no idea what rates were 50 years ago.

I also don't know that the percentage of income rates were 50 or 15 years ago or how inflation has effected the rates in that time so I have no idea if they've doubled, increased by 25% or gone down.

Then you don't really know much about it at all, do you? And it's folks like you who defend folks like SamCogar? And he takes every advantage of you he can.
ziggy
ziggy

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Sat Mar 01, 2008 12:58 pm

I'm not defending Sam. I'm saying your blowing smoke when you say 1) he said 15 years and B) rates are the same . Anyone with even the slightest bit of common sense knows that's just not the case, wherther it's 50 or 15 years ago, not when you factor in inflation. Rates may be more, they may be less, but the likely hood that they are unchanged is very small indeed.

Seems to me about every stance you seem to take is one opposite of someone you don't like and I think that's what you're doing here. I know that.
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by ziggy Sat Mar 01, 2008 7:06 pm

Aaron wrote:I'm saying your blowing smoke when you say 1) he said 15 years and B) rates are the same . Anyone with even the slightest bit of common sense knows that's just not the case, wherther it's 50 or 15 years ago, not when you factor in inflation. Rates may be more, they may be less, but the likely hood that they are unchanged is very small indeed.

You say you don't remember, yet you say it wasn't 15 years.

Well, I DO remember, and he said rates had doubled in the past fifteen years. And even Sam does not deny that's what he said. And he added that his gas rates had not changed in 25 years.

And I did not say that rates are the same. I provided link to show that rates were lower than in 1993.

And since you mention inflation, looking at real, inflated adjusted dollars, electricity rates are about 2/3rds what they were even 50 years ago.

And you mention "common sense". How do electricity rates come to be lower than they were 15, or even 50 years ago? Anyone with even the "slightest bit of common sense" knows that the 3 word answer is, "economy of scale".

But of course if all you're trying to do is show that "anyone with even the slightest bit of common sense" knows that SamCogar is all-knowing and all-truthful, then, well, then it's easy to overlook a little teeny weenie tiny economic thing like economies of scale.
ziggy
ziggy

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Sat Mar 01, 2008 10:55 pm

Is attempting to prove Sam wrong your only goal in life of are there others?
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next