WV Forum for News, Politics, and Sports
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

More than 1 in every 100 Americans is behind bars -- a first

5 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

More than 1 in every 100 Americans is behind bars -- a first Empty More than 1 in every 100 Americans is behind bars -- a first

Post by Stephanie Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:00 pm

I'm not going to bother posting the article because I would imagine most, if not all, of you have read or viewed a report on this. I would like to know how many of the millions are being incarcerated for nonviolent drug offenses. We need to decriminalize these drugs and stop incarcerating people for using them. Addicts need treatment, not prison. As a society we cannot afford this to continue.

http://www.wvgazette.com/News/200802280749
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Number of posts : 6556
Registration date : 2007-12-28

https://gazzfriends.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

More than 1 in every 100 Americans is behind bars -- a first Empty Re: More than 1 in every 100 Americans is behind bars -- a first

Post by ziggy Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:24 pm

We need to decriminalize these drugs and stop incarcerating people for using them.

Yeah, but what about that authoritarian streak in all of us- that feeling that we must use the power of government to make conformists of the whole world?
ziggy
ziggy

Number of posts : 5731

Back to top Go down

More than 1 in every 100 Americans is behind bars -- a first Empty Re: More than 1 in every 100 Americans is behind bars -- a first

Post by Aaron Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:40 pm

I'm confused. I thought the government was the only solution for all that ails us???
Aaron
Aaron

Number of posts : 9841

Back to top Go down

Post by ziggy Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:43 pm

Aaron wrote:I'm confused. I thought the government was the only solution for all that ails us???

Then you thought wrong.
ziggy
ziggy

Number of posts : 5731

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:52 pm

No, I've always thought the right way, which is the government should be as small as possible and do only what the constitution authorizes. I was merely pointing out what others have insuinated based on comments and post I've read over the past year and a half. Rolling Eyes
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephanie Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:56 pm

ziggy wrote:
We need to decriminalize these drugs and stop incarcerating people for using them.

Yeah, but what about that authoritarian streak in all of us- that feeling that we must use the power of government to make conformists of the whole world?

I don't get how having the government tell you how to live your life provides anyone with a sense of empowerment. Ron Paul is right, the government can't make you, or me, or anyone else, a better person.
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephanie Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:58 pm

Aaron wrote:No, I've always thought the right way, which is the government should be as small as possible and do only what the constitution authorizes. I was merely pointing out what others have insuinated based on comments and post I've read over the past year and a half. Rolling Eyes

You'll have to explain to us what in the COTUS gives the federal government the power to control the ability of citizens to travel freely. Or what gives the federal government the right to impose a national id on American citizens. It isn't there, Aaron.
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:02 pm

Stephanie wrote:
Aaron wrote:No, I've always thought the right way, which is the government should be as small as possible and do only what the constitution authorizes. I was merely pointing out what others have insuinated based on comments and post I've read over the past year and a half. Rolling Eyes

You'll have to explain to us what in the COTUS gives the federal government the power to control the ability of citizens to travel freely. Or what gives the federal government the right to impose a national id on American citizens. It isn't there, Aaron.

First, you'll have to show me where anyone is trying to limit travel, other then entering an airline or controlled building, which is covered Constitutionally Stephanie.
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephanie Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:16 pm

They are controlling our driver's licenses, Aaron. Even you admitted this is a necessity, not a luxury.
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Fri Feb 29, 2008 4:14 pm

Stephanie wrote:They are controlling our driver's licenses, Aaron. Even you admitted this is a necessity, not a luxury.

They are not 'controlling' anything. They are making what it already out there a more uniform measure and I'm not scared out of my pajama's over the reasons. I just don't see the government coming to get me or stopping me from going into Va because they unified a drivers license system. It takes a little more that that to scare me but then I've been through it once before.

Maybe you need to do some research on the CDL program.

Last edited by Aaron on Fri Feb 29, 2008 4:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephanie Fri Feb 29, 2008 4:18 pm

Aaron,

The federal government most certainly is attempting to take over control of state driver's licenses. They are threatening some very serious punishments for the citizens of states that fail to comply. Unless of course, you don't consider having your travel restricted a problem. Most reasonable people consider having their ability to travel restricted a pretty big problem.
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Fri Feb 29, 2008 4:22 pm

Stephanie wrote:Aaron,

The federal government most certainly is attempting to take over control of state driver's licenses. They are threatening some very serious punishments for the citizens of states that fail to comply. Unless of course, you don't consider having your travel restricted a problem. Most reasonable people consider having their ability to travel restricted a pretty big problem.

You keep saying they are going to restrict travel but you've yet to show how.
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephanie Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:43 pm

Here is how........citizens of states who refuse to comply with the REAL ID Act of 2005 will not be able to use their driver's licenses and state issued ID's to board planes, enter federal buildings, and a variety of other things. I don't know what else you would call that but a restriction on the ability of a signifcant portion of the American people. Remember 17 states have already declared they will not cowtow to another needless, unfunded infringement on their rights. An additional 20 states have legislation that has either been introduced, or passed at least one chamber.
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Fri Feb 29, 2008 8:06 pm

Stephanie wrote:Here is how........citizens of states who refuse to comply with the REAL ID Act of 2005 will not be able to use their driver's licenses and state issued ID's to board planes, enter federal buildings, and a variety of other things. I don't know what else you would call that but a restriction on the ability of a signifcant portion of the American people. Remember 17 states have already declared they will not cowtow to another needless, unfunded infringement on their rights. An additional 20 states have legislation that has either been introduced, or passed at least one chamber.

Appearantly you haven't tried to get on a plane lately. If you don't have a valid ID, it ain't happening. Same thing when entering many federal buildings. No valid ID, no entry. Nothing is changing other then the ID's must comform nationally and if you knew anything about the CDL, you would realize that it works and the monsters you're afraid of are nothing more then puppet shadows.
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephanie Sat Mar 01, 2008 12:21 am

Aaron wrote:
Stephanie wrote:Here is how........citizens of states who refuse to comply with the REAL ID Act of 2005 will not be able to use their driver's licenses and state issued ID's to board planes, enter federal buildings, and a variety of other things. I don't know what else you would call that but a restriction on the ability of a signifcant portion of the American people. Remember 17 states have already declared they will not cowtow to another needless, unfunded infringement on their rights. An additional 20 states have legislation that has either been introduced, or passed at least one chamber.

Appearantly you haven't tried to get on a plane lately. If you don't have a valid ID, it ain't happening. Same thing when entering many federal buildings. No valid ID, no entry. Nothing is changing other then the ID's must comform nationally and if you knew anything about the CDL, you would realize that it works and the monsters you're afraid of are nothing more then puppet shadows.

You are wrong. I don't know if you are simply misinformed, or lying. Why you are wrong is of no matter to me. The feds are not requiring uniformity, they have now created a "menu" of security features and the states must comply with a certain number of them.

Currently, I can board any plane with the license I currently posses that does not comply with the terms of the REAL ID Act. Soon, that will no longer be the case. The one perpetuating fear are those who insist the states and the American people must give up their rights for an illusion of security.
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by SamCogar Sat Mar 01, 2008 6:29 am

ziggy wrote:

DUH, ........ "Speak for yourself, John Alden."

SamCogar

Number of posts : 6238

Back to top Go down

Post by SamCogar Sat Mar 01, 2008 6:42 am

Stephanie wrote:
Currently, I can board any plane with the license I currently posses that does not comply with the terms of the REAL ID Act. Soon, that will no longer be the case. The one perpetuating fear are those who insist the states and the American people must give up their rights for an illusion of security.

And so could the 9-11 hi-jackers, ........ and all of them did.

And so did Richard Colvin Reid, aka Abdul Raheem ......... also known as the "shoe bomber".

Wink Wink Wink

SamCogar

Back to top Go down

Post by SamCogar Sat Mar 01, 2008 6:55 am

MINNEAPOLIS—The driver of a van that hit a school bus in a crash that killed four children was charged Friday with four counts of criminal vehicular homicide and two lesser charges, authorities said.

The woman, identified as Alianiss Nunez Morales, 23, of Minneota, failed to stop at a stop sign Tuesday before hitting the bus, which was carrying 28 students from Lakeview School, a prosecutor said. The accident happened near the small town of Cottonwood in southwestern Minnesota.

Morales was also charged with a stop sign violation and for driving without a valid license, Lyon County Attorney Richard Maes said.

Authorities said Morales is not the woman's real name, and Immigration and Customs Enforcement agents were trying to figure out her true identity. Claude Arnold, special agent in charge of investigations, said Morales told investigators she was from Mexico, and his agency believes she is in the country illegally.

Morales does not have a Minnesota driver's license, and "she doesn't have a (driver's license) anywhere that we're aware of," said Lt. Mark Peterson of the Minnesota State Patrol.

The criminal vehicular homicide charges are felonies, each punishable by up to 10 years in prison

http://www.lcsun-news.com/apcontent/ci_8345022

SamCogar

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephanie Sat Mar 01, 2008 7:11 am

SamCogar wrote:
Stephanie wrote:

And so could the 9-11 hi-jackers, ........ and all of them did.

And so did Richard Colvin Reid, aka Abdul Raheem ......... also known as the "shoe bomber".

Wink Wink Wink

Sure enough, Sam..........

Timothy McVeigh decided to bomb a federal building, not a plane. He required so special id to do so. He was an American.

I'll never forget seeing that. I remember turning the tv on and seeing that building and thinking "OMG now "they" are attacking us right here in America. They are attacking us in the heartland, not some port of entry, but Oklahoma" Then we found out the terrorists who bombed the Murrah Building were American grown. Nichols & McVeigh sure don't sound like Arab names to me. How about you???
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephanie Sat Mar 01, 2008 7:14 am

Sam I have to go to Quiz Bowl thingy. When I return I'll make sure to dig up a bunch of news articles detailing drivers with valid licenses with suspended and/or revoked licenses killing people. Then you can explain to me how the REAL ID will fix that little problem.
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Sat Mar 01, 2008 10:08 am

Stephanie wrote:
Aaron wrote:

You are wrong. I don't know if you are simply misinformed, or lying. Why you are wrong is of no matter to me. The feds are not requiring uniformity, they have now created a "menu" of security features and the states must comply with a certain number of them.

The sky looks fine to me CL.
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Sat Mar 01, 2008 10:10 am

Stephanie wrote:Sam I have to go to Quiz Bowl thingy. When I return I'll make sure to dig up a bunch of news articles detailing drivers with valid licenses with suspended and/or revoked licenses killing people. Then you can explain to me how the REAL ID will fix that little problem.

And you can explain how the current system prevents them!
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephanie Sat Mar 01, 2008 7:03 pm

The point is, Aaron, those kinds of laws, only serve as a burden to alwa abiding citizens. Criminals will continue to break the law. It is part of being a criminal.
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Sat Mar 01, 2008 11:08 pm

The CDL stopped the abuse in transportation. It worked to reduce crime and fraud once, it's constitutional so imo, the sky is fine where it's at.
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by SheikBen Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:31 am

Hi Stephanie,

I agree that restrictive laws only punish the law abiding, and therefore are pretty meaningless. And I for one do not want to be fingerprinted by uncle Sam and then have that information on my person, subject to search.

I disagree that people were surprised to hear the names "McVeigh" and "Nichols" as opposed to "Ahmed" or "Mustafa." Before 9/11 the most likely terrorism came from eco-terrorist groups, and I recall reading much on the militia/identity movements before Oklahoma City.

I might suggest that we were moved by 9/11 (rightly) but we continue to ignore the homicide rate in our nation's "gun controlled" inner cities. I think we lack proportion. If the former is (rightly) a cause for national concern and memorial, so too must the latter.

SheikBen

Number of posts : 3445
Registration date : 2008-01-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next