WV Forum for News, Politics, and Sports
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WV Public Employees would protest this.

+2
Aaron
SamCogar
6 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

WV Public Employees would protest this. Empty WV Public Employees would protest this.

Post by SamCogar Fri Mar 28, 2008 6:17 am

Fingerprint Scanners Replace Punch Clocks at Workplaces

NEW YORK — It's happening at Dunkin' Donuts, at Hilton hotels, even at Marine Corps bases: Employees are starting and ending their days by pressing a hand or finger to a scanner that logs the precise time of their arrival and departure, and the information is automatically reflected in payroll records.

Manufacturers say these biometric devices improve efficiency and streamline payroll operations. Employers big and small buy them with the dual goals of keeping workers honest and automating outdated record-keeping systems that rely on paper time sheets.

The new systems have raised complaints, however, from some workers who see the efforts to track their movements as excessive or creepy.

"They don't even have to hire someone to harass you anymore. The machine can do it for them," said Ed Ott, executive director of the New York City Central Labor Council of the AFL-CIO. "The palm print thing really grabs people as a step too far."

Ingersoll Rand Security Technologies, a leading manufacturer of hand scanners based in Campbell, Calif., said it has sold at least 150,000 of the devices to Dunkin' Donuts and McDonald's franchises, Hilton hotels and to Marine Corps bases, who use them to track civilian hours.

Protests over using palm scanners to log employee time have been especially loud in New York City, where officials are spending $410 million to install an automated attendance tracking system that may eventually be used by 160,000 city workers.

Scores of civil servants who are members of Local 375 of the Civil Service Technical Guild rallied Tuesday against a plan to add the city medical examiner's office to the list of 17 city agencies which already have the scanners in place.

The scanners have rankled draftsmen, planners and architects in the city's Parks Department, which began using them last year.

"Psychologically, I think it has had a huge impact on the work force here because it is demeaning and because it's a system based on mistrust," said Ricardo Hinkle, a landscape architect who designs city parks.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,342374,00.html

SamCogar

Number of posts : 6238
Registration date : 2007-12-28

Back to top Go down

WV Public Employees would protest this. Empty Re: WV Public Employees would protest this.

Post by Aaron Fri Mar 28, 2008 7:14 am

It prevents payroll fraud and it works.
Aaron
Aaron

Number of posts : 9841

Back to top Go down

WV Public Employees would protest this. Empty Re: WV Public Employees would protest this.

Post by SamCogar Fri Mar 28, 2008 7:29 am

Who knows, it might prevent some of those "coal mining disasters and deaths".

Management could easily track and monitor the activity of the Coal Mine Inspectors as to when or if they "showed up on the job" ....... and how long they were there. Razz Razz Razz

SamCogar

Back to top Go down

Post by TerryRC Mon Mar 31, 2008 6:52 am

How do you implement it for people that spend days at a time in the field?

TerryRC

Number of posts : 2762
Registration date : 2008-01-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:40 am

TerryRC wrote:How do you implement it for people that spend days at a time in the field?

Have them log in via a personal computer or handheld object that links directly to a base terminal.
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by shermangeneral Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:56 am

hey guys usol truckers are way ahead of you guys.

They know where we are, how fast and what direction we are going, what gear, engine rpm, and how many miles we done drove.

Etc.

Plus how much idle time and our mpg for the day and if we had any hard brake episodes.

So if you really want big bro watching then come drive a truck.

shermangeneral

Number of posts : 1347
Registration date : 2007-12-30

Back to top Go down

Post by SamCogar Mon Mar 31, 2008 12:36 pm

Aaron wrote:
TerryRC wrote:How do you implement it for people that spend days at a time in the field?

Have them log in via a personal computer or handheld object that links directly to a base terminal.

Right on, big boy, ........ make them carry a GPS unit.

Just like those trucks that deliver to your facility, ........ the Dispatcher knows where that truck is 24-7.

Aaron, there is a Mac Truck, etc. repair garage over at Jane Lew off I-79 and one day the owner got a call and was asked what the problem was with a "so n' so" truck that had been there for two days and the garage man said he didn't know, that truck wasn't at his garage being worked on.

Turned out, the driver of that truck had been sitting for two days right across the Interstate from that garage ........... at a Titty Bar, ...... enjoying himself.

cheers

SamCogar

Back to top Go down

Post by TerryRC Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:37 am

Just like those trucks that deliver to your facility, ........ the Dispatcher knows where that truck is 24-7.

I carry a Garmin GPS, a PDA w/ Bluetooth and wireless and a cell. In many of the places I do work I can't get a signal on any of them due to terrain and/or remoteness.

Keep trying, though.

TerryRC

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Tue Apr 08, 2008 6:20 am

TerryRC wrote:

I carry a Garmin GPS, a PDA w/ Bluetooth and wireless and a cell. In many of the places I do work I can't get a signal on any of them due to terrain and/or remoteness.

Keep trying, though.

Just because it doesn't get service back to a terminal at all times doesn't mean data can't be input, stored and updated back to the terminal once service is reached.

Keep trying.
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by SamCogar Tue Apr 08, 2008 7:09 am

TerryRC wrote:I carry a Garmin GPS, ........... In many of the places I do work I can't get a signal on any of them due to terrain and/or remoteness.

And where would that be, TRC, ...... back inside a coal mine, ....... a deep cave ...... or a horrendously large rock outcropping?

For less than $100, you can get a pocket-sized gadget that will tell you exactly where you are on Earth at any moment. As long as you have a GPS receiver and a clear view of the sky, you'll never be lost again. http://www.howstuffworks.com/gps.htm

I guess if you try hard ....... and stay in one place, ...... you can keep hidden from those 4 satellites. Razz Razz Razz Razz

SamCogar

Back to top Go down

Post by ziggy Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:24 am

It can be as simple as summer and winter.

We sometimes visit a campground in Upshur County. When the leaves are off, the only way to hide from those GPS satellites is to go inside a structure. But once the leaf canopy pops out in the spring, we gotta go down the road a couple miles to open skies to get a GPS reading.
ziggy
ziggy

Number of posts : 5731

Back to top Go down

Post by TerryRC Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:16 pm

Aaron, even when you get to a place where the GPS can communicate, it will only tell you where you are, not were you have been.

Your cell won't even log the time you attempted to make a call if you don't have service.

As for you, Sam, I can think of a hundred outdoor locations in this state where this is the case. Not one of them is in a coal mine.

Even in the winter I can't get a signal of any sort around the Anthony to Neola area. It gets peculiar near places like Edray and Ieager.

Not all government employees stay in fancy hotels while on the road. I prefer to work while there is light and sleep under the tailgate. Saves the state money and gets me home quicker. It does mean overnighting in some out-of-the way places, however.

TerryRC

Back to top Go down

Post by TerryRC Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:17 pm

Oh, for the record, I would have no problem logging in and out, be it by time clock or other ACCURATE method.

TerryRC

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:29 pm

TerryRC wrote:Oh, for the record, I would have no problem logging in and out, be it by time clock or other ACCURATE method.

It's not like the states going to dock your pay, right TC! Do they even have hourly people?
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by ziggy Tue Apr 08, 2008 2:55 pm

Non-management Department of Highways workers are hourly.
ziggy
ziggy

Number of posts : 5731

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Tue Apr 08, 2008 3:59 pm

ziggy wrote:Non-management Department of Highways workers are hourly.

I completely forgot about the shovel holders association.
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Tue Apr 08, 2008 4:02 pm

TerryRC wrote:Aaron, even when you get to a place where the GPS can communicate, it will only tell you where you are, not were you have been.

Your cell won't even log the time you attempted to make a call if you don't have service.

You're trying to tell me in today's world there is no device in which somone can track time by inputting a start and stop work time!!!

I'm about as techno illiterate as they come and even I know better then that.
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by TerryRC Wed Apr 09, 2008 5:10 am

You're trying to tell me in today's world there is no device in which somone can track time by inputting a start and stop work time!!!

Offer it up.

Like I said, I have no problem logging in but what do you do if you are in the middle of the Otter Creek Wilderness or surveying the Cacapon for hydrilla somewhere between Wardensville and Great Cacapon?

What good does it do you to log a time and no location to go with it?

TerryRC

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Wed Apr 09, 2008 5:22 am

TerryRC wrote:You're trying to tell me in today's world there is no device in which somone can track time by inputting a start and stop work time!!!

Offer it up.

Like I said, I have no problem logging in but what do you do if you are in the middle of the Otter Creek Wilderness or surveying the Cacapon for hydrilla somewhere between Wardensville and Great Cacapon?

What good does it do you to log a time and no location to go with it?

Whatever dude.......

Rolling Eyes
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by TerryRC Wed Apr 09, 2008 5:39 am

Whatever dude.......

So I can log in by cell (if I even have service where I happen to be) and go back to bed if I'm in an area with no GPS coverage?

You basically called me a liar with this phrase, "I'm about as techno illiterate as they come and even I know better then that."

Since you know better, put up or shut up.

TerryRC

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Wed Apr 09, 2008 5:48 am

I didn't call you a liar.

I said I don't believe you.

I don't.

There's no 'put up' to it.

If I were going to call you a liar I would have called you a liar when you said your Garmin couldn't track you in remote areas of WV even though it uses 24 satellites stragetically positioned around the earth placed there by the DOD and is accurate within 15M and with new Wide Area Augmentation System technology is accurate to within 3m.

But I didn't call you a liar when you stated your Garmin doesn't track you all over WV even though it's tracked all over the Rockeis, the Swiss Alps, the rain forest of South America and every other nook and cranny of Earth, I'm sure you are correct in that it doesn't work in West Virginia.

Whatever dude...

Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by TerryRC Wed Apr 09, 2008 5:56 am

If I were going to call you a liar I would have called you a liar when you said your Garmin couldn't track you in remote areas of WV even though it uses 24 satellites stragetically positioned around the earth placed there by the DOD and is accurate within 15M and with new Wide Area Augmentation System technology is accurate to within 3m.

Come on the road with me sometime, Aaron. I'll prove it to you.

In places where you are in deep valleys, you frequently can't get enough satellites in the sky to properly triangulate.

Not that you would come along - you would rather be ignorant than right.

So what is the system for logging in my time and location when I'm in the Otter Creek wilderness and have poor or no GPS coverage?

Douche.

TerryRC

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephanie Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:06 am

I don't see what difference it makes whether or not some GPS device can track and log your location. Even if the GPS device determine where you are and when you arrived and when you leave, what's to prevent you from taking along your fishing pole and tackle box and doing a little fishing? How would GPS distinguish between you collecting samples (or whatever it is you do) and just kicking back and reading a good book?
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Number of posts : 6556

https://gazzfriends.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:25 am

Stephanie wrote:I don't see what difference it makes whether or not some GPS device can track and log your location. Even if the GPS device determine where you are and when you arrived and when you leave, what's to prevent you from taking along your fishing pole and tackle box and doing a little fishing? How would GPS distinguish between you collecting samples (or whatever it is you do) and just kicking back and reading a good book?

Ah, so you are familar with State employees!!!
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:31 am

TerryRC wrote:

Come on the road with me sometime, Aaron. I'll prove it to you.

In places where you are in deep valleys, you frequently can't get enough satellites in the sky to properly triangulate.

Not that you would come along - you would rather be ignorant than right.

So what is the system for logging in my time and location when I'm in the Otter Creek wilderness and have poor or no GPS coverage?

Douche.

Triangulate??? Garmin says it can pick you up with one satellite.

Perhaps you can explain how a GPS unit can work in the andies or at the bottom of the Grand Canyon but not in Canaan Valley, never mind that I've seen teenagers coming down the mountain on ski's while talking on a cell phone.

So I'm trying to figure out if you got one of them state issued Garmin's that only works on 3 of the satelittes ( Rolling Eyes ) or if maybe WV put one of them releflective nets up over portions of the state that don't allow the satellite to track remote areas of WV.

Seems to me you got called in your bs and your too childish to admit it. Rolling Eyes
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next